Sideloading has already crashed my playbook and for some reason when I run an android app all my other open apps just quit. Was the plan that this would get android developers to actually start making Playbook apps!?
    03-06-12 03:47 PM
    It's a Catch 22 for RIM. To make it crazy easy for devs, make the android player. Easy to convert apps for devs, and they run... albeit just OK. If they make NO player, then RIM risks the apps not being available for the platform at all.

Hopefully, devs will go ahead and start making their apps better for PB, especially if they see people are using them en mass, and they want to improve the experience.
    03-06-12 03:54 PM
    Same negative experience with sideloading.
    03-06-12 05:03 PM
    I started sideloading and then read a few cautions on CB. I have since proceeded very carefully and only loaded what I absolutley need (Kindle). I don't want to spend time figuring out what caused a problem, or reloading OS2, or other issues.

So I treat sideloads differently than another app that appears on BB World.

That's me. Others may take a different path and sideload a ton of apps. You choose your path and you pay the tolls.
    AfroZepher likes this.
    03-06-12 10:23 PM
    I just learnt how to sideload apps today (sorry for being an tech ) and I'm hoping that the negative experiences doesn't happen to me. *fingers crossed*

Just realised that we can't really multitask and switch between android apps
    Will prefer native apps indeed but will make do with this for now
    AfroZepher likes this.
    03-07-12 08:55 AM
    I agree, I would much rather be able to install them from App World

My main pain point with sideloading is the lack of ability to just simply click the update button when a new version rolls out.
    03-07-12 09:07 AM
    Warms my heart to see that users do see the advantages of true native apps on this platform! That excites me. I'm really looking forward to Cascades.
    03-07-12 09:11 AM
    Sideloading has already crashed my playbook and for some reason when I run an android app all my other open apps just quit. Was the plan that this would get android developers to actually start making Playbook apps!?
    Um... actually, sideloading doesn't suck, it ROCKS! Why? Because it let you run Android apps that you wouldn't be able to use any other ways until (maybe) they make it to app world.

Sideloading as never been an officially RIM supported feature, it's a hack, using a third party hack tool that let you deploy BARs to your PB in development mode.
    Doesn't that sound risky enough for you?

What exactly do you expect from a hack? It may work, it may not. It may crash your device, it may brick it or it may work flawlessly... What you need to keep in mind is that you use it at your own risk, period.

Android player is limited indeed but it's the very first iteration, I'm sure it'll be enhanced in the future.

With time, you'll see native PB apps coming in app world which will render the android player useless anyways... so far I've found good native replacements for almost all the Android apps I sideloaded...
    darktoy likes this.
    03-07-12 09:16 AM
    i have never once had any issues with sideloading and in fact i can sideload perfectly without even using the USB cable which is pretty damn amazing!

If you are having issues then wipe your playbook and start fresh...there could be some inconsistencies which are causing your problems.
    03-07-12 09:52 AM
    Been sideloading apps on 2 rooted PB and 1 with final OS installed and never had a spec of problem with any of them crashing.
    If the app loaded up they all worked well from games to utility apps.
    03-07-12 10:00 AM
    Don't devs that submit their apps do a little more than convert and submit? I would think they would still need to tweek them.
    03-07-12 10:00 AM
    Considering the relatively lower standard that Android apps are developed by and to, and the associated security concerns, I am not sideloading anything. I'll wait and see what BB10 brings.

RIM: "Homegrown" apps only, please.
    03-07-12 12:37 PM
    Sideloading can be native apps or android. Having said that I've side loaded the sh|t outta my pb and they have been very good.
    I haven't tried any of the bar files that people have converted here so I can't speak to those apps -but they shouldn't be any different.
    03-07-12 02:18 PM
    I've Tried sideloading and I just Freaking HATE it .... I though we would've seen aLOT of app from Android delivered to the PB but it's more complicated to get them to run then the 12 duties of Asterix ....

Fail @ Sideloading
    03-07-12 02:54 PM
    Sideloading is stupidly easy to do. I too have sideloaded tons of apps. HOWEVER, I am no longer sideloading anything but tried and tested apps from here (emulators, Tablet TV, etc) as I had some major PB issues last night after sideloading some apps. Some of these Android apps must be chewing up memory, because after about an hour I went to play a game (Super Crossfire HD) and the PB locked up completely. It then shut off and I had a green/yellow pulsing light. I struggled with it for some time (holding power, +/- volume) and *finally* it came back on. I did a debrick and restore (from a point before I sideloaded the apps) and I am back to normal. Re-sideloaded the emulators and Tablet TV....and going to be VERY cautious going forward.
    petworks97 likes this.
    03-07-12 03:10 PM
    . . .

With time, you'll see native PB apps coming in app world which will render the android player useless anyways... so far I've found good native replacements for almost all the Android apps I sideloaded...
    At least we can all agree that native app are far better. . .I'm just not sure how much more waiting I can do. . .(I better get a huge credit for trading up my OS7 device and Playbook when BB10 finally shows up cuz sticking with RIM while everyone else is jumping ship has yet to get me any benefit. . .)
    03-07-12 05:04 PM
    I'm new to this forum but doesn't this topic belong under the Playbook Apps forum? It seems with the 2.0 upgrade that new topics are popping up under every Playbook header, specifically apps.

But yes, having to sideload does suck. Sideloading itself is a unique and pretty cool feature though.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 07:20 PM
    Um... actually, sideloading doesn't suck, it ROCKS! Why? Because it let you run Android apps that you wouldn't be able to use any other ways until (maybe) they make it to app world.

Sideloading as never been an officially RIM supported feature, it's a hack, using a third party hack tool that let you deploy BARs to your PB in development mode.
    Doesn't that sound risky enough for you?

What exactly do you expect from a hack? It may work, it may not. It may crash your device, it may brick it or it may work flawlessly... What you need to keep in mind is that you use it at your own risk, period.
    Sideloading is not a hack... its a standard native feature of the playbook that lets developers test applications on the device without having to submit to it to app world. DDPB is not a hack, it just makes use of that functionality right from the desktop. Its not using an exploit or bugs in the operating system, its just using the functionality already there and providing a GUI to facilitate the installation of test-phase bar packages.

What RIM does not support is users going wild-on with android apk files and converting them into bar files and expect all of them to work 100% with absolutely 0 optimizations for the playbook. And the apk to bar conversion is not even a hack, because thats how the system again is expected to work, the problem lies completely in the users converting non-fully compatible android apps and putting them on the playbook. Genuine playbook applications work 100% whether sideloaded or installed from appworld, even android packages optimized for the playbook would work 100%, but creating such files would be counter-productive.
    Last edited by nms64; 03-07-12 at 08:01 PM.
    03-07-12 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD