Been searching the forums for answers but to no luck. Recently my PB has became laggy/slow to respond. I have a 32GIG WIFI only PB, with roughy 4GIGs of free storage remaining, with on average 617mb of free memory (don't know if any of these factors have caused the PB to become laggy). Anyway, I have read that doing a full restore (backup, security wipe then restore) will fix any issues relating to performance.

Now my question is, if I do a security wipe will this affect the OS? As in, will the security wipe remove all previously installed OS and take me back to the original OS (2.0 or 2.1 - came preinstalled when I received the PB), or will it stay on the current OS (2.1.0.1526) and I will just be required to do the initial setup (country, BBID, etc)?

The reason, PB OS updates are fairly large and my internet is capped. Downloading +/- 2GIGs in updates in one go is a bit heavy on my side.

Thanks
    09-09-13 04:46 AM
    Wipe will delete everything except the currently installed OS.
    SEAWARRIOR and jason_sa like this.
    09-09-13 04:56 AM
    Thanks for the quick response, so just that I understand correctly. I'm on 2.1.0.1526, after the security wipe I will still be on 2.1.0.1526 correct?
    09-09-13 05:03 AM
    @jason_sa

From my experience performing the swipe with my 16GB PB Wifi version, it will revert back to the original factory OS version. I need to connect to download the latest OS along with its additional applications.

I hope you have good Wifi connection to download.

Posted via My BlackBerry Q10 (SQN 100-3 v.10.1.0.2309) - Powered by Globe Telecom Philippines
    jason_sa likes this.
    09-09-13 05:07 AM
    @earth703

I was afraid of hearing that. Just with internet speeds in South Africa not being that impressive, and downloading all those updates, which as I said are +/- 2GIGs, is not the best option for me. As soon as I go over my cap, the internet becomes shaped and then it's not worth using the net. Thanks for help, if thats the case will just wait till the end of the month and do it then.

Got 2 different answers, can anyone else let me know what happens/what they have experienced?
    09-09-13 05:26 AM
    Why don't you go to a free Wifi hotspot and downloaded it from there and order some coffee while waiting just an idea.

Posted via My BlackBerry Q10 (SQN 100-3 v.10.1.0.2309) - Powered by Globe Telecom Philippines
    jason_sa likes this.
    09-09-13 05:40 AM
    Security wipe does not restore factory OS version, your current OS version will be retained. If it did revert the OS to the factory version, we'd all be able to root our playbooks. As it is, pretty much no one can because it's pretty much impossible to downgrade the OS and the latest versions have no (known) root exploits.
    SEAWARRIOR and jason_sa like this.
    09-09-13 06:55 AM
    Can always rely on the CrackBerry Nation to help out, thanks for all the replies.

@SifJar good point, should of thought about that before posting, sorry. Thought it was strange no one else bought it up in the forums.

Anyway, will do the security wipe and see how it goes. If by some chance I need to download any updates, will do what @earth703 suggested and use a free WIFI spot.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    09-09-13 10:53 AM

If by some chance I need to download any updates, will do what @earth703 suggested and use a free WIFI spot.
    You will need to do an update of probably around 350 MB. Otherwise you'll lose essentially all of your stock apps after the wipe.
    09-09-13 01:34 PM
    4 GB on a 32GB playbook is cutting it fine. Free up a bit more.
    09-09-13 06:02 PM
    I have noticed that some things are missing after a security wipe, even after installing the updates, such as the wallpapers. Debricking the tablet is better.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    09-10-13 09:08 AM
    And, in case you are interested, there is now an OFFICIAL OS upgrade available. So a WIPE will result in a new OS after completing the processes.
    09-10-13 10:08 AM
    I have the same problem
    i just wipe out my playbook 16gb ,after then ,i cant connect to wifi
    pls i need help.thank you
    steve stein1 likes this.
    12-06-13 04:35 AM
    I have the same problem
    i just wipe out my playbook 16gb ,after then ,i cant connect to wifi
    pls i need help.thank you
    You will need an internet connection to setup a PlayBook when new or after a security wipe or debrick.

If you cannot connect to a particular wifi source after the wipe, try using another wifi source such as a public hotspot.
    12-06-13 08:41 AM
    This evening I wiped my playbook. Connected it to link to back it up first.

Make sure you have a full battery charge or a decent amount, preferably over 40% before you start the process.
    After my wipe I had to setup the playbook just as I did when I first bought it, language, location, tutorials, BlackBerry I D, wifi connection. Your playbook will have the original OS as when you first bought it. It will require an update to the newest OS update. When connecting it with link or DM make sure wifi is turned off or you may get a message indicating link or DM cannot connect. It will give you the option to restore the playbook l, don't do this. I did this a couple of times thinking I did something wrong when it was the wifi causing the problem

The update to the newest OS is a 250 or 350 mb file. Longest process is restoring your latest backup, mine was 15 gigs.

Something people may want to try if their Playbook starts to lag is task killer app. I find it works great. I've also noticed that ported android apps tend to slow down the playbook.
    12-08-13 09:52 PM
    This evening I wiped my playbook. Connected it to link to back it up first.

Make sure you have a full battery charge or a decent amount, preferably over 40% before you start the process.
    After my wipe I had to setup the playbook just as I did when I first bought it, language, location, tutorials, BlackBerry I D, wifi connection. Your playbook will have the original OS as when you first bought it. It will require an update to the newest OS update. When connecting it with link or DM make sure wifi is turned off or you may get a message indicating link or DM cannot connect. It will give you the option to restore the playbook l, don't do this. I did this a couple of times thinking I did something wrong when it was the wifi causing the problem

The update to the newest OS is a 250 or 350 mb file. Longest process is restoring your latest backup, mine was 15 gigs.

Something people may want to try if their Playbook starts to lag is task killer app. I find it works great. I've also noticed that ported android apps tend to slow down the playbook.
    If I do a security wipe on my blackberry q5 will I have to do the whole initial activation thing over WiFi after the wipe?
    04-19-14 07:50 PM
    You will need to do an update of probably around 350 MB. Otherwise you'll lose essentially all of your stock apps after the wipe.
    If this would be the case. And the update for the 350MB does not appear after the data swipe what must you do to obtain that update.

Background:

I did a data swipe on my BB Playbook and now only 2 apps show. Browsers and setup.. Anyone would be able to assist?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    04-23-14 09:14 PM