Last week I updated to .668, finally made the arrangements to buy a 64 GB playbook. I made a backup, sold the 16GB, and picked up the 64.

During that two day span, RIM yanked the OS that I was running when I did the backup, and I cannot restore my previous tablet to my new one. I spent an hour on the phone with support, who (mostly put me on hold) told me I could:

1. Have to wait until next week, update to the fixed .668 and restore
    2. Try checking this Friday for the update and restore
    3. Try checking next Wednesday for the update and restore
    4. Possibly in ten minutes, possibly in 24 hours, download the update and restore

So there I have it, all my data sitting in a backup file, waiting for RIM to release the bundle again so I can restore my data and use my new playbook. It is unimaginable to me how they think it is ok to either not take my backup file and send it back to me for bundle .358, let me download .668 again, or SOMETHING. Who knows when or if we will see .668 again?

And he thanked me for choosing BlackBerry.
    ezapper2 likes this.
    08-08-12 02:00 PM
    Then I guess no OS 2.1 this month, great.

Way to go RIM.
    08-08-12 02:23 PM
    Last week I updated to .668, finally made the arrangements to buy a 64 GB playbook. I made a backup, sold the 16GB, and picked up the 64.

During that two day span, RIM yanked the OS that I was running when I did the backup, and I cannot restore my previous tablet to my new one. I spent an hour on the phone with support, who (mostly put me on hold) told me I could:

1. Have to wait until next week, update to the fixed .668 and restore
    2. Try checking this Friday for the update and restore
    3. Try checking next Wednesday for the update and restore
    4. Possibly in ten minutes, possibly in 24 hours, download the update and restore

So there I have it, all my data sitting in a backup file, waiting for RIM to release the bundle again so I can restore my data and use my new playbook. It is unimaginable to me how they think it is ok to either not take my backup file and send it back to me for bundle .358, let me download .668 again, or SOMETHING. Who knows when or if we will see .668 again?

And he thanked me for choosing BlackBerry.
    Can't you do a selective restore of the data like you can with their phone devices?

A.
    08-08-12 02:39 PM
    Then I guess no OS 2.1 this month, great.

Way to go RIM.
    just today the update server was down temporarily. Usually when that happens, it follows with an update the next day. So..just an observation
    muzeek likes this.
    08-08-12 02:58 PM
    just today the update server was down temporarily. Usually when that happens, it follows with an update the next day. So..just an observation
    Don't give me false hope...

Aiyee...
    08-08-12 03:08 PM
    No I can't do selective even

I might try to go to 2.1, and restore to 2.1
    ezapper2 and pickles#WP like this.
    08-08-12 03:19 PM
    Downloading beta now...
    08-08-12 03:24 PM
    That worked! Huzzah!

None of my accounts carried over, but the "meat" of the tab did, so I guess I am a beta tester now.

Excerpt from email

Yes, you can try that but we can not give you guarantee it will work, Beta 2.1 and old OS (.668) that you did the backup from are both 2.1, it should recognize the back up files to restore but there is no guarantee.
    Looks like 668 is close enough to 2.1 to be compatible
    ezapper2 and ckbadger like this.
    08-08-12 08:21 PM
    You could manually flash the 2.0.1.668 I guess..

[EDIT]
    Sorry I did not read that you updated to 2.1 (You won't regret it especially if you use Android apps )
    08-08-12 09:04 PM
    took a backup of my playbook that was .668. Sent it to RIM for repair. They gave me a new tablet with .356 and I cant restore my 20gb of data.

I called RIM and LIKE A BUNCH Of R****** gave me nothing. Waiting on hold 45 minutes to tell me I have to wait for a new release with we don't know when will be out.

I yelled and screamed at the poor support person who is reading out of a manual not knowing the first thing about how to do their job.

at this time I found this forum through a google search. Will test the solution by upgrading to 2.1 beta...

AS A BIG RIM SUPPORTER I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED IN THIS KIND OF SUPPORT. THEY SHOULD BE NOTIFYING END USERS ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO RESTORE TO PREVIOUS OS VERSION.

TNX for the post!
    Ned_Flanders likes this.
    09-14-12 12:21 PM
    wooohooooooo.......solution is working for me too now....

Crackberry forums 10 out of 10
    RIM Tech Support 0 out of 10

RIM tech support never stood a chance!
    09-14-12 01:14 PM
    Can't you do a selective restore of the data like you can with their phone devices?

A.
    Not to a previous OS, just like any other device even your pc.
    09-14-12 04:14 PM
    wooohooooooo.......solution is working for me too now....

Crackberry forums 10 out of 10
    RIM Tech Support 0 out of 10

RIM tech support never stood a chance!
    RIM can't really recommend upgrading a potentially buggy beta OS to regular users. The proper solution to this problem is pushing out a fixed version of 668 ASAP. That way anyone else in this situation will be able to install that update and restore their backups.

They should really be able to tell you the date the next update will be landing though, not being able to is just poor customer service. I know they probably have reasons for being secretive etc., but it makes more sense to tell customers stuck in an annoying situation when they will be able to resolve the issue, and possibly mention the beta as a potential option (along with plenty of warning about the unfinished state of the OS).
    Last edited by SifJar; 09-14-12 at 04:24 PM.
    ezapper2 and FF22 like this.
    09-14-12 04:22 PM
    RIM can't really recommend upgrading a potentially buggy beta OS to regular users. The proper solution to this problem is pushing out a fixed version of 668 ASAP. That way anyone else in this situation will be able to install that update and restore their backups.

They should really be able to tell you the date the next update will be landing though, not being able to is just poor customer service. I know they probably have reasons for being secretive etc., but it makes more sense to tell customers stuck in an annoying situation when they will be able to resolve the issue, and possibly mention the beta as a potential option (along with plenty of warning about the unfinished state of the OS).
    It seems from a customer perspective in this case RIM is showing very poor judgment regarding the handling of this situation. I to have the same situation and not one word from RIM on a fix, work around, or even acknowledgment of the issue. The PB is supposed to be part of their product offering and regardless of the all out effort to get 10 ready, their support of current products must be maintained.

How else are we to believe anything RIM is doing.
    SifJar likes this.
    09-15-12 05:34 AM
    It seems from a customer perspective in this case RIM is showing very poor judgment regarding the handling of this situation. I to have the same situation and not one word from RIM on a fix, work around, or even acknowledgment of the issue. The PB is supposed to be part of their product offering and regardless of the all out effort to get 10 ready, their support of current products must be maintained.

How else are we to believe anything RIM is doing.
    I guess I created some sparks up at RIM.... I had about 3 techs/managers call me back after that day.

I explained I was very disappointed with how RIM handled the situation. They tried to offer the suggestion to move to the beta OS and I told them I already did it TNX to Crackberry forums...something that should have came from them. They gave me the speal about it being beta and my argument was "restoring 20GB of critical DATA was more important to me than a Playbook with an unsupport OS". At the end of the day they are not supporting the beta OS, they are supporting a restore of a backup from a fully released OS. Also, I have the option to revert back if needed, although 2.1 works better..
    FF22 and DC506 like this.
    09-18-12 11:18 PM
    I guess I created some sparks up at RIM.... I had about 3 techs/managers call me back after that day.

I explained I was very disappointed with how RIM handled the situation. They tried to offer the suggestion to move to the beta OS and I told them I already did it TNX to Crackberry forums...something that should have came from them. They gave me the speal about it being beta and my argument was "restoring 20GB of critical DATA was more important to me than a Playbook with an unsupport OS". At the end of the day they are not supporting the beta OS, they are supporting a restore of a backup from a fully released OS. Also, I have the option to revert back if needed, although 2.1 works better..
    They deserve criticism. If nothing else, they should have somehow relabeled or renumbered the prior "good" OS and offered that on their servers for those stuck on the lousy .668. Forcing folks to a beta is absurd and a poor business practice.

SHAME ON THEM!
    09-19-12 03:48 PM
    They deserve criticism. If nothing else, they should have somehow relabeled or renumbered the prior "good" OS and offered that on their servers for those stuck on the lousy .668. Forcing folks to a beta is absurd and a poor business practice.

SHAME ON THEM!
    I am quite sure that the beta <-> .668 backup compatibility was a 100% Crackberry forum discovery.. RIM is not pushing anyone anywhere (which is bad on it's own).
    09-19-12 04:13 PM
    This PB has never had .668 on it. It did have 2.1 beta on last week, then it seized following a screen print and blocked out all my photos, so I did a wipe. Got 2.1 beta again but would not sideload.
    So did a USB debrick to .358, then registered again for beta last night (19 Sep) and instead of a notification of 2.1... available it said update available 2.0.1.668. 466MB

How the heck did that happen? I had no choice but to accept it and now I have .668 !!

I am happy as it solves the hotmail server problem, but I am still confused how it happened.
    09-20-12 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD