I feel sorry for people who have any faith left in RIM.
    Please don't !
    10-26-11 11:55 AM
    Please don't !
    OK, I won't feel sorry for them.
    10-26-11 12:01 PM
    If they release OS 2.0 before then they start restore the confidence consumers lost in RIM. I could really be putting my foot in my mouth with this statement. But I do believe something has to come before the holidays.
    Hope springs eternal.

However, in this case I reckon you are likely to be disappointed. RIM clearly have MAJOR problems with integrating QNX with their existing architecture and seem to be in exciting times with the Android player too. That's MAJOR spelt "insurmountable" maybe?

To declare a four month slip at this stage of the game, and coming on the heels of all of the previous disappointments and broken promises (Q1, 60days, Summer, etc), and to have that admission forced out of them by a press leak... is beyond embarrassing.

IMHO, an OS2 general release before end-February is as likely as snow in He11 on a hot day in July, and I'm not holding my breath that it'll even happen at end-February.

Flame on...
    JBenn911 likes this.
    10-26-11 12:26 PM
    Ok, I'm as disappointed as the next guy at the announcement of a February release of OS 2. But how the **** to do call it a 4-month slip? Repeat after me: They never announced a release date for this release. They intentionally left it open-ended by using the word "thereafter". Not shortly thereafter, not a week thereafter, not a month thereafter. Yeah I would rather see it sooner than later, and yeah I'm miffed that I have to live with the broken pieces of my bridge apps resulting from upgrading and downgrading the OS (which people around here would think I have every right in the world to b!tch about but I won't). But we all had to have some kind of an inkling that this or even a later date was possible. He11, for all we know, between now and then they could still pull a HP and put a bullet in its head.

Get real, kids. Please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 01:36 PM
    You are the epitome of everything that is wrong with this website.
    Really now. Coming from you that's actually encouraging.

Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 10-26-11 at 02:32 PM.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    10-26-11 02:13 PM
    Really now. Coming from you that's actually encouraging.

WHEWWW!!!!! Glad it's you and not me!!!!

Let's do drinks! I've always wanted to know the epitome of something!
    sleepngbear likes this.
    10-26-11 03:04 PM
    WHEWWW!!!!! Glad it's you and not me!!!!

Let's do drinks! I've always wanted to know the epitome of something!
    Now that would truly make being so wrong so right.

10-26-11 03:11 PM
    RIM what is wrong ?
    i wanted to buy the pb but OS 2.0 till February ? that means no pb for me again
    10-26-11 03:23 PM
    RIM what is wrong ?
    i wanted to buy the pb but OS 2.0 till February ? that means no pb for me again
    You know, it may not yet be all that it can be, but it's still a decent tablet. What do you need that it doesn't have now that you think you'll get in OS 2?

10-26-11 03:31 PM
    People just want their company to pull through. What's wrong with that? They want what others have but in the Blackberry ecosystem and culture........................................... ....

RIM isn't delivering.

They are upset.

See what I did there?
    10-26-11 03:36 PM
    People just want their company to pull through. What's wrong with that? They want what others have but in the Blackberry ecosystem and culture........................................... ....

RIM isn't delivering.

They are upset.

See what I did there?
    Nope, ya lost me. But seeing that you agree that I'm the poster child for everything that's wrong with CrackBerry, I don't imagine you'll be losing much sleep over it.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting their company to succeed (JD914 not being one of those, as he's obviously moved on to something better). But there's plenty wrong with people scraping and nitpicking for anything to b!tch about just for the sake of ********. The fact that I get annoyed with it and don't choose to be one of them makes me part of the problem? Well I'm fine with that. If you don't like what I have to say, there's always that little Ignore thingie. It's in the opposite corner from that Thanks thingie.

maddie1128 likes this.
    10-26-11 03:56 PM
    The PR team needs to be completely reworked and come up with a more creative strategy. The board needs to step up and force the Co-CEOs to do something that at least optically makes it seem like they are relinquishing power. I still don't see why they don't promote a Head of Product/Design and make him the face of the firm.

GUYS - IT's time to be more active about the message instead of reacting to news that breaks.

IDEA #1 - If the email portion of the OS is done, show the thing off in a blog post (does RIMM even have a blog??) Have weekly feature showcases, showing off a feature and then release the dang feature on the Friday as a BETA update. Do that each week for the next 8 weeks and by the time you get to February the entire OS will have been tested and fixed. The news each week will be about the progress being made and feature of the week.

Am I insane or does this stuff sound like common sense? Don't sit on features that are ready to go because you are still working on others. RELEASE PRODUCT!!! Then when the Cascade UI comes out, you can release those nice little apps they showed off as the features of the week!!!
    10-26-11 04:19 PM
    Nope, ya lost me. But seeing that you agree that I'm the poster child for everything that's wrong with CrackBerry, I don't imagine you'll be losing much sleep over it.
    Everybody needs a goat. GOAT. G.O.A.T. Greatest Of All Time?
    10-26-11 04:21 PM
    I can't say I'm surprised.

I can't say I'm impressed either. At least my PB does enough of what I want it to without v2. I am happy to see some better and interesting apps and games.

To be fair I'm not going to point fingers at anyone on the technical side. It's a good product, solid and great picture and sound. Just pricy for a portable media center that can do web given I was silly enough to be an early adopter for once I've had more crashes on my Transformer tablet with latest Honeycomb than the latest PB, though we're talking about a handful compared to a couple.

However, if I have any complaints about all this, it's the Management/Communications/PR people either saying little or taking a page from that delusional Deputy PM from Iraq who would deny reality left, right and center. I know that a geek God like Adam Savage may say things like "I reject your reality and replace it with my own" but as a corporate strategy, unless you're delivering...

This bitter sounding message also comes as I'm sitting here wondering if the BIS/BBM network is down again...glad my contract isn't up for a year and a bit so I have time to not make a rash decision.
    10-26-11 04:33 PM
    Ok, I'm as disappointed as the next guy at the announcement of a February release of OS 2. But how the **** to do call it a 4-month slip?
    Erm...

Alec Saunders: "It'll be out in the Fall"
    followed by this a couple of days later...

We expect to deliver the new BlackBerry PlayBook OS to customers in February 2012...

- David J. Smith, SVP, BlackBerry PlayBook, Research In Motion
    And to top it off, the February release won't contain native BBM.

Depending on how generous you want to be in interpreting "Fall" and which end of February OS2-lite will drop, there's between one and four months between those official RIM quotes.

And that doesn't constitute a "slip"?

I'm jealous of your poster-child epitome status BTW... Can I be one too?
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-26-11 at 05:15 PM.
    10-26-11 04:55 PM
    I still think the Playbook is a great product. However, the timelines have been all over and i'm extremely dissapointed. i don't know what to believe anymore.
    10-26-11 05:56 PM
    For the first time I have to admit that I'm disappointed. 2.0 has better be worth the wait and bug free. I'm still content with what it does for me as it did so from launch.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    10-26-11 07:58 PM
    Erm...
    I believe that quote from Mr. Saunders was a tweet, not exactly what I'd call an official company declaration.

I once told a candidate who was interviewing for a position at my former company (a small financial services company) that the company's execs were so committed to the service they provided that they would never, ever consider selling the company to a bank for fear of diminishing the effectiveness and value of the services to their clients. The very next day we learned that we were being bought ... by a bank. I swear to God. This kind of sh*t happens to the best of us. (FYI ... the candidate wisely chose not to accept the position.)

followed by this a couple of days later...
    That was an official company quote. If February comes and goes and there's still no OS 2.0, then you can get really mad if you want. I won't be around to see it because I'll be avoiding CrackBerry like a $5 streetwalker.

And to top it off, the February release won't contain native BBM.
    Native BBM, while maybe disappointing to some, is completely understandable to me, and certainly mitigated by the BB bridge. Don't have a BB phone? Well, you couldn't have BBM without that anyway. You still have video chatting (which btw I have absolutely no use for).

Depending on how generous you want to be in interpreting "Fall" and which end of February OS2-lite will drop, there's between one and four months between those official RIM quotes.

And that doesn't constitute a "slip"?
    Disappointing, yes. But only a slip inasmuch as it's taking them too long to deliver this stuff that would really set the PlayBook apart from the rest. As illustrated by digdah's comments above, there are still some of us who are basically as satisfied with the PB now as we were when it launched. It certainly isn't any less of a device now than it was then. And yeah, I'm getting tired of waiting for a few new features; but my wife was tired of waiting for Apple to release a new iPhone when her 3Gs was dying a slow death and was due for an upgrade months before the iP4s's release. She could have gotten a crappy old iP4, or waited patiently for what was coming next, whenever that was, because at the time all we had were rumors and speculation. She patiently waited. And guess what she did when she found out the next phone was NOT going to be an iPhone 5? She got the iP4s anyway and is thrilled with it. What can ya do ... ******** about it isn't going to change anything. Be happy with what you got, or get something else.

I'm jealous of your poster-child epitome status BTW... Can I be one too?
    No. There can be only one.

Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 10-26-11 at 10:00 PM.
    10-26-11 09:58 PM
    ....um......i think we can safely remove the moderator-added �[RUMOR]� disclaimer now...
    10-26-11 10:16 PM

There's nothing wrong with people wanting their company to succeed (JD914 not being one of those, as he's obviously moved on to something better). But there's plenty wrong with people scraping and nitpicking for anything to b!tch about just for the sake of ********. The fact that I get annoyed with it and don't choose to be one of them makes me part of the problem? Well I'm fine with that. If you don't like what I have to say, there's always that little Ignore thingie. It's in the opposite corner from that Thanks thingie.

I don't know that you are the poster child for all that is wrong, but at some point we have to stop making excuses for RIM. I'll be honest, there was a time when I thought they could work things out but they have done nothing but break promises to a lot of users.

The only thing we have heard from them is soon, it's coming etc. Push back after push back. It's literally like DNF. Literally.

Look, I like RIM but they are really keen on excuses. I don't know if they'll fall apart or be bought out, but sometimes the doom and gloom stories make sense.

I don't know if you've watched the pod casts with Kevin, but it's hard for him to defend RIM to the other 3 smartphone experts. That has to be some type of indicator on what's happening.
    10-26-11 10:38 PM
    I wonder if the PB was the victim of an internal game of numbers, i.e. starved of resources that were shifted to BB OS and QNX phones. PB was a known poor seller with poor margins, and possibly its software was proving difficult to move forward. In order not to slip on their (early?) 2012 phone target, I wonder if RIM sacrificed the PB for the arguably greater potential good of the company. If so, I cannot really blame them.
    graxyq likes this.
    10-26-11 11:55 PM
    I wonder if the PB was the victim of an internal game of numbers, i.e. starved of resources that were shifted to BB OS and QNX phones. PB was a known poor seller with poor margins, and possibly its software was proving difficult to move forward. In order not to slip on their (early?) 2012 phone target, I wonder if RIM sacrificed the PB for the arguably greater potential good of the company. If so, I cannot really blame them.
    I agree, this is the only possible explanation unless the co-ceo's are desperate for a takeover by helping the stock prices down.

Get the bbx phones out first which is what can generate revenue and then get back to the pb.. I hope this is the case.
    10-27-11 12:47 AM
    I don't know that you are the poster child for all that is wrong, but at some point we have to stop making excuses for RIM. I'll be honest, there was a time when I thought they could work things out but they have done nothing but break promises to a lot of users.
    Dude says I'm the epitome of everything that's wrong with CB, and you thanked him for it, which strongly suggests to me you agree with him. That's fine, everybody's entitled to their opinion. I've been called much worse.

Nobody's making excuses for RIM ... at least I'm not. Just trying to call it like it is. They are and have been late in delivering just about everything, they've been fairly narrow-minded and unimaginative in their approach to what they do deliver, that all continues to hurt their business, and so far there are few signs that they know how to turn that around. No argument there. But if that makes our phones or our PlayBooks any less useful than they were when we first bought them, I would surely like someone to explain to me how. If you bought one of these things expecting it to be more at some time in the future based on a promise, well, that's just a chance you take, and in my opinion not a very wise purchase.

There are many of us who are pretty content with what they do deliver (and for that we are labeled blind fandboys ... or worse ... whatever); for the rest who are not, the choices are simple: either patiently wait for RIM to deliver what you want, or go get something that you are satisfied with. The non-stop complaining about it here by the same very vocal minority (who I happen to believe are the real problem with this site) isn't solving anything and just aggravating the rest of us that are here to learn and share useful and interesting information about products we use regularly. But the ******** and whining on this site increasingly outweighs anything useful or valuable.

No, we don't all have to sit around the campfire singing Kumbaya; nothing is perfect, people aren't going to agree on everything, and there's no reason to squash intelligent discussion about things that are deficient and can be improved upon. But what goes on here is far from intelligent ... it's more like a bunch of crybabies who are starved for attention. Every tiny fault is picked apart and beaten to death, the funeral drum for RIM beats louder and louder, the pointless complaining goes on and on ad nauseum, and I just look at it all and say "so what?!" We're talking about cell phones here, and a tablet market that didn't even exist two years ago. Are those really that significant for people to get their collective panties all wadded up over? If only people got as passionate about things truly meaningful, like the morons they repeatedly elect to public office, as they do about such things as this which in the grand scheme of things is meaningless crap...
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-27-11 06:42 AM
    LOL.

After over 5,000 views of this thread (which I guess reflects the level of interest in this news) the thread gets buried (I think that's the right word ) in one of the sub-forums way down the page that I didn't even know existed before today!

No worries... it's your forum and you Mods can put posts wherever you want... but I have a sneaking suspicion that this thread would still be in the News forum if the headline was "RIM Triumphs! OS2 Due Friday"

Just sayin'
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-27-11 at 09:35 AM.
    10-27-11 08:22 AM
    I thought the playbook was a beta device to be the test bed of the new OS going forward so they didn't totally screw their handset market with incomplete software and the problems the playbook is facing now. Can you imagine if the playbook was the newest phone release?

So no I don't think the playbook was pushed to the side. I think the OS is giving fits where it wasn't expected.
    greatwiseone likes this.
    10-27-11 09:14 AM
155 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD