"So when could an end user get the new update? We expect to deliver the new BlackBerry PlayBook OS to customers in February 2012 and we’ll continue to keep you updated as we progress to the launch.

- David J. Smith, SVP, BlackBerry PlayBook, Research In Motion"

Evidently, Sad but True.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    10-25-11 05:41 PM
    "So when could an end user get the new update? We expect to deliver the new BlackBerry PlayBook OS to customers in February 2012 and we�ll continue to keep you updated as we progress to the launch.

- David J. Smith, SVP, BlackBerry PlayBook, Research In Motion"

Evidently, Sad but True.
    Just read this and honestly my first impression is - GOOD... I think RIM learned lesson from the initial launch and getting half done product to market does more bad than good. No matter what the reason is it appears they are not ready. Whatever the reason is that's a separate story. The bottom line is they are not ready and they are going to release when ready and it takes guts to do that and I am sure it was not an easy decision. Personally I view this as a good decision, albeit unfortunate given the timing and the market sentiment. This for sure will provide extra time for other platforms to advance further and in some circumstances to catch up but I still view the decision as positive.
    10-25-11 05:47 PM
    the people who constantly spout that "BGR is BS" are more wrong that BGR has ever been, this is just one example of many where people dance around with their fingers in their ears screaming NANANANANA, and now the truth comes out. i won't be waiting till feb, the playbook is going on ebay, if i can even sell the thing.
    pseudo7, scorpiodsu and vrs626 like this.
    10-25-11 05:49 PM
    ARgh. Disappointing, but when I think about it, I would prefer to wait for the real deal. Having a half-baked OS would be frustrating. I just hope they nail EVERYTHING with the next version - fully integrated email and BBM, speedy browser, android application, and SPELL CHECK!

My only concern with waiting to February - holiday season. Would of been great to release this version, with full email capabilities, combined with holiday sales to get Playbooks off the shelves, which would of course get greater market share, and attention from developers, who would develop more applications and thus increase the appeal of the platform, which would sell more products, etc. Should RIM wait til February, this opportunity is gone. I worry this delay just might kill the Playbook. *Gulp*

Here is what I hope RIM plans to do in the next 6-12 Months:

1. Crank on V2.0 - fully implementation of blackberry email and messaging with BES/BIS (no blackberry needed). Will likely need to overhaul BES to work with multiple PINs.

2. Really push developers to make native applications for the Playbook and BBX. I'd focus on some critical, key applications that help sell products. Skype, Netflix, Google Maps, Messengers (AIM, GChat, etc), Facebook - if you got these, I think you can sell to a huge part of the retail market. I know I missed some, but I would guess there are 10-20 applications that are used most widely on smartphones these days. Getting them onto Playbook, and more importantly BBX for future RIM phones is critical. Might even have to pay them to create these applications - I think it would be well worth it. Growth and client retention is all about application and content - hardware comes second if not third behind design and aesthetics.

3. Focus on BBX Phones and video call capabilities. Must integrate with not only BBM, but also Skype, etc. No more development efforts on NON-BBX phones. 9900 and 9780 are last OS 7 phones.

4. ?? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Wangta; 10-25-11 at 05:53 PM.
    10-25-11 05:50 PM
    LOL BGR surprises everyone again. First with the nexus specs now this. Dont hate. On BGR!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    10-25-11 05:50 PM
    Wow so it is true. This is really sad. 60 days turns into almost a year. I thought about picking up a PB I don't like the Kindle Fire when it comes in. Now I might as well just wait till PB 2, if that even happens.
    10-25-11 05:53 PM
    Wow so it is true. This is really sad. 60 days turns into almost a year.
    Wow. I didn't even think about that. They did say 60 days didn't they. Wonder if RIM stock will take a hit tomorrow.
    10-25-11 05:54 PM
    And one more thing: RIM appears to be somewhat bit more transparent. Frequent and direct communication during the outage and now this. Lets hope this is a trend.
    10-25-11 05:55 PM
    Wow. I didn't even think about that. They did say 60 days didn't they. Wonder if RIM stock will take a hit tomorrow.
    Yep, which then turned into end of summer... At this point I don't even know if I would believe February. They really dropped the ball on this one.
    10-25-11 05:56 PM
    Yep, which then turned into end of summer... At this point I don't even know if I would believe February. They really dropped the ball on this one.
    Seriously. Still have an unopened Playbook in the box sealed (have a 16 gb, was upgrading to the 32). Fack. Not sure what to do.
    10-25-11 05:59 PM
    I'll take it off your hands for $99
    Hahhaa......hahahahahaaa....HAHAHAHAA...uh..
    10-25-11 06:01 PM
    Seriously. Still have an unopened Playbook in the box sealed (have a 16 gb, was upgrading to the 32). Fack. Not sure what to do.
    Lol like JD said, I'll buy it from you for $99.
    10-25-11 06:01 PM
    I wonder where February actually is on the RIM calendar?
    Lets hope its not February 30th.
    10-25-11 06:06 PM
    Oh my God. I am just.... flabbergasted. No Native BBM? Is this a joke?

I know RIM is doing okay but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they are running out of time. They are RUNNING out of time.

They don't have the luxury of waiting around.

Why is this hard to understand.
    10-25-11 06:08 PM
    I wonder where February actually is on the RIM calendar?
    No clue, but now I will give my Kindle Fire extra attention because I know OS 2 wont be out for at least another 4 months.

Meh at that point I might as well get the new iPad. RIMs tablet and how they are dealing with it has left a bad taste for me. I probably wont touch that product line.

Hopefully this same trend doesn't happen with the smartphones, because I would really like to try a BBX device.
    10-25-11 06:08 PM
    So or the bbx phone won't be ready for feb or it comes without bbm??????

10-25-11 06:11 PM

never thought of that but you are kinda on to something there.
    10-25-11 06:14 PM
    With how they handled the PB it would be wise to look elsewhere. I know if I was a PB owner I would be demanding my money back. Why anyone would want to be a PB owner after this fiasco is beyond me.
    Trust me, if it wasn't because I loved the 9000 so much, they wouldn't be an option.

I will still give their smartphone line a chance. It has treated me well in the past. I am happy I didn't buy the PB though. This would have made me livid.
    10-25-11 06:19 PM
    Lol like JD said, I'll buy it from you for $99.
    I hate you guys! I felt dumb when I bought a car - had no idea the playbook would depreciate faster! Now I feel dumber?
    10-25-11 06:22 PM
    Feeling pretty dumb myself. My son recently purchased an iPad2. I've steadfastly defended my Playbook & all the promised improvements that were right around the corner. Well, here I sit knowing I'll be waiting until February for an update while he got one last week to OS5 that added new gestures......yeah.....

10-25-11 06:35 PM

They said they'll push it to a subsequent release...but who knows when that is now.
    10-25-11 06:37 PM
    I love my BlackBerry and my Playbook and have a very poor opinion of BGR but:
    - Promising major advances at Devcon and not delivering in front of the worlds press was silly
    - This is not RIM improving communication, this is them responding to BGR breaking the story. If they hadnt we'd still be in the dark.
    - BGR got this story and all the BlackBerry fansites didnt, thats pretty disheartening, says a lot about whos in the loop and who isnt.
    - Alec Saunders came across as straight talking and honest. The twitter messages and emails in this thread followed by this announcement destroys any credibility he had, completely. So much for new blood.
    - Releasing the OS update without BBM is pretty stupid, first its delayed by over three quarters of a year and then you leave out a key feature for non BlackBerry phone owners? Not a great selling point.

Overall I look on BGR with a little bit more respect, credit where credits due.
    And no matter how great RIMs products are, and I do believe they are great, their marketing, planning and timekeeping is beyond awful. Theres only so much you can get away with when the average customer is as fickle or has as many choices as is the case at the moment.
    10-25-11 06:51 PM
    OP should really change the thread [RUMOR] to [FACT].

EDIT: I AM RETURNING MY PLAYBOOK. GG.

ARGH.
    Last edited by rcheung135; 10-25-11 at 07:51 PM.
    10-25-11 07:04 PM
    I love my BlackBerry and my Playbook and have a very poor opinion of BGR but:
    - Promising major advances at Devcon and not delivering in front of the worlds press was silly
    - This is not RIM improving communication, this is them responding to BGR breaking the story. If they hadnt we'd still be in the dark.
    - BGR got this story and all the BlackBerry fansites didnt, thats pretty disheartening, says a lot about whos in the loop and who isnt.
    - Alec Saunders came across as straight talking and honest. The twitter messages and emails in this thread followed by this announcement destroys any credibility he had, completely. So much for new blood.
    - Releasing the OS update without BBM is pretty stupid, first its delayed by over three quarters of a year and then you leave out a key feature for non BlackBerry phone owners? Not a great selling point.

Overall I look on BGR with a little bit more respect, credit where credits due.
    And no matter how great RIMs products are, and I do believe they are great, their marketing, planning and timekeeping is beyond awful. Theres only so much you can get away with when the average customer is as fickle or has as many choices as is the case at the moment.
    ^this sums up my feelings. You have to wonder how long this can go on, promising a summer update, then fall, now winter. Saying they are going to leap frog the competition then announcing basically nothing. It's a sad end. I honestly can't see them delivering on bbx phones in q1, so for the first time i honestly believe RIM is sunk. They might be able to get bbx phones out by next summer, but by then you'll have iPhone5 and ICS to try and displace.
    pwgillam and morfy50 like this.
    10-25-11 07:06 PM
    I bet it's the decision to attack the emerging markets and elsewhere to launch their obselete products, to spread the RIM virus. RIM is just repeating history again by overextending; first it was Napoleon against Russia, then it was Hitler once again against Russia, now it's RIM going into India or the UAE just to launch their godforsaken phone known as "knight".

YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE THE HOMEFRONT ALONE FFS.

Balsillie thinks he can just trick consumers and investors by giving misinformation just to push financial numbers. Yeah, I expect RIM to report shipping a lot of their PB here and there, but we all know it was a gimmick and the company is not sustainable anymore.
    Last edited by rcheung135; 10-25-11 at 07:38 PM.
    10-25-11 07:15 PM
155 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD