well i wished you guys wouldnt get all worked up. If one does come out at all before next February, its garaunteed to be bug fixes and languages added and "minor enhancements".

All the signs point to RIM having crashed head-long into a brickwall of somekind in the development of this thing- i personally think mismanagement and lack of clear commitment and focus are the largest culprits.

With OS 2.0 release being pushed further and further down the road, its best to look at your device in the state its in now and realize "this is what it is" for the next three months or more...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-11 09:44 AM
    ok time has been re-calibrated, next week = February 2012
    11-14-11 06:55 AM
    ...its best to look at your device in the state its in now and realize "this is what it is" for the next three months or more...

The truest words I never said!
    11-14-11 07:37 AM
    ok time has been re-calibrated, next week = February 2012
    Okay. Only 6 posts and you've already gotten into the spirit of all things Rim!
    11-14-11 08:39 AM
    any possibilities of getting an update this month?
    when will we start seeing more applications (since NDK/SDK is already released?)? new year 2012?
    pblakeney likes this.
    11-14-11 09:02 AM
    Lol. I've stopped checking for an update altogether. I figure there will be nada until at least February, if not "thereafter."

11-14-11 11:16 AM
    Just hope thereafter doesn't turn into never.
    11-14-11 11:22 AM
    Well, that week has come and past with no RIM OS update. Good thing nobody held their breath and Wingflaps didn't loose any more money on the Playbook But....there's always next week. Double down???
    11-14-11 01:04 PM
    To be fair, the OP said "next week" not "this week". So far that is true, its still not coming till "next week".
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-14-11 07:24 PM
    I suppose "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is"
    11-15-11 07:08 AM
    To be fair, the OP said "next week" not "this week". So far that is true, its still not coming till "next week".
    There does not seem to be a problem releasing new phone models amid so many and games, but a few key OP features that address initial release statements underrealized....or met....throw out a bone something to wet the appetite. ;-)
    FF22 likes this.
    11-15-11 07:32 AM
    They will make money on new cheap phones. Spending money on the Playbook OS 2.0 has a very low return on investment. Take a look at Samsung in the market....blew Apple away in Q3.

Samsung Passes Apple for No.1 Spot in Smartphone Sales

RIM has to compete in the $99-199 price range or risk loosing even more market share. The bleeding is happening so fast it is unstoppable with inferior products. They can't get BBX phones to market fast enough.
    11-15-11 10:41 AM
    Perhaps the title of this post should read "[RUMOR] New update next YEAR"
    11-15-11 10:57 AM
    Take a look at Samsung in the market....blew Apple away in Q3.
    While Samsungs sales dept are running victory laps, the service dept is pulling their hair out. The latest software update rushed out and disabled the WiFi on the WiFi only tablets. The build quality is very poor, little things are constantly going wrong with them. So that lower price point strategy may bite them in the end, when they find they dont have the budget for so many returns and replacements.
    11-15-11 11:33 AM
    we need to get the media player fixed, so it's able to play most of the common file formats. or get VLC to the appworld.
    but sure next update will be incrementally useless, like fixing facebook notifications or updated video chat or something worse
    11-15-11 04:21 PM
    John also had this to say about bringing new features to 1.0.7 : "No, no chance, we're done with 1.0.7. There may be a public incremental release before 2.0 (and a refresh to the 2.0 dev beta) - I'll bring details back to the community when I have them!"

He said that today, btw.
    11-15-11 05:15 PM
    John also had this to say about bringing new features to 1.0.7 : "No, no chance, we're done with 1.0.7. There may be a public incremental release before 2.0 (and a refresh to the 2.0 dev beta) - I'll bring details back to the community when I have them!"

He said that today, btw.
    Terrific. So we are stuck with its incompleteness for 3 more months. Yup, I'll certainly talk it up as a wonderful device - ready for professional pursuits - NOT A CHANCE. Total BS!!!!
    11-15-11 05:40 PM
    We already knew that though. Its nice to know we are atleast getting some bug fixes, and even on the OS2 beta also. That we had not heard.
    11-15-11 06:56 PM
    rim better get us a big bug blower, since the os got swarms of bugs everywhere
    11-15-11 10:08 PM
    Just ordered a PB, wondering how do i get the latest official update and avoid this new 2.0 beta version id rather wait till the official release ??
    11-16-11 05:02 PM
    Just ordered a PB, wondering how do i get the latest official update and avoid this new 2.0 beta version id rather wait till the official release ??
    Just let it do it's thing. You have to sign up for the beta version.
    11-16-11 05:16 PM
    This thread was originally based on an actual discussion with a RIM representative and it has obviously come and gone. There was another thread talking about an update with specific details of what was being fixed based on a thread in the Beta Zone.

So the following is back in the realm of pure speculation (as opposed to misinformation like this original post here). And before I get bashed for speculating, it appears to me that with no news on the horizon for the Playbook, this forum, until the update hits, is basically limited to a) fanbois vs angry users, b) polls, c) 'I still love my PB' threads, and d) newbie questions from the people who will be picking up 16gb Playbooks for $199.00 this week.

My speculation is simple and is as follows:

With drastic price drops starting to trickle in, there will potentially be a whole new generation of Playbook users by end-of-day on Black Friday. These people will be new to the Playbook and, probably new to this forum. These will be people who have not necessarily been waiting since April for 2.0. These people will have different expectations than mos of us. They are buying devices because a) the price is ridiculously low and b) they are being told of an update in February. These people are unaware of the expectations of the OS at launch. These people are unaware of the promise of by the end of the summer. They're unaware of the estimate of an upgrade and new devices by DevCon. All they know is that they're purchasing a cheap Playbook with the understanding that an update is coming in February. This crop of consumers has not yet been misled.

Assuming that RIM is sensitive to the emotions of people here waiting, being disappointed, and waiting, and being disappointed again, along with the image and perception in the media, I would speculate (ok. just pure guess) that we're going to see the update for wifi, bluetooth, et al. drop Monday night/ Tuesday morning. I'm most likely going to be wrong, but it seems to make sense (if the update is ready). This way, all of the new users will have a more stable Playbook experience available when they fire it up and do the initial update.

I also assume that many of the Playbooks sold between now and Christmas will remain giftwrapped in boxes until the 25th. For these users, the wait until February is even shorter.

Just my 2 cents.
    11-20-11 12:04 PM
    This thread was originally based on an actual discussion with a RIM representative and it has obviously come and gone. There was another thread talking about an update with specific details of what was being fixed based on a thread in the Beta Zone.

So the following is back in the realm of pure speculation (as opposed to misinformation like this original post here). And before I get bashed for speculating, it appears to me that with no news on the horizon for the Playbook, this forum, until the update hits, is basically limited to a) fanbois vs angry users, b) polls, c) 'I still love my PB' threads, and d) newbie questions from the people who will be picking up 16gb Playbooks for $199.00 this week.

My speculation is simple and is as follows:

With drastic price drops starting to trickle in, there will potentially be a whole new generation of Playbook users by end-of-day on Black Friday. These people will be new to the Playbook and, probably new to this forum. These will be people who have not necessarily been waiting since April for 2.0. These people will have different expectations than mos of us. They are buying devices because a) the price is ridiculously low and b) they are being told of an update in February. These people are unaware of the expectations of the OS at launch. These people are unaware of the promise of by the end of the summer. They're unaware of the estimate of an upgrade and new devices by DevCon. All they know is that they're purchasing a cheap Playbook with the understanding that an update is coming in February. This crop of consumers has not yet been misled.

Assuming that RIM is sensitive to the emotions of people here waiting, being disappointed, and waiting, and being disappointed again, along with the image and perception in the media, I would speculate (ok. just pure guess) that we're going to see the update for wifi, bluetooth, et al. drop Monday night/ Tuesday morning. I'm most likely going to be wrong, but it seems to make sense (if the update is ready). This way, all of the new users will have a more stable Playbook experience available when they fire it up and do the initial update.

I also assume that many of the Playbooks sold between now and Christmas will remain giftwrapped in boxes until the 25th. For these users, the wait until February is even shorter.

Just my 2 cents.
    OK, I'll go with your 2 cents.

If the update part of it doesn't happen then I guess I'll have to go with the next 2 cents that sounds reasonable.
    11-20-11 12:11 PM
    RIM is terrible for over promissing and under delivering. Im hoping in this case theyre giving us a feb date, but will surprise us with something sooner
    11-20-11 01:08 PM
    This is a great opportunity for RIM to step it up and change their image of over promising and delivering late. Most of the people who will purchase the Playbook at these deeply discounted prices might not be aware of the past. Given how few Playbooks have sold, RIM has the potential to significantly increase the number of people who are just starting now with the device and, therefore, have not yet been let down by any prior expectation.

Also, with the new discounts, it's nice to see Playbooks being available via backorder instead of just having the promotions read 'while supplies last'. Nothing is certain, but this inidicates to me that RIM is not just clearing out inventory, but they're willing to restock retailers and potentially flood the market with Playbooks.

If they hit the mark with the upcoming update and hit the February timeframe for 2.0 (two very big ifs given what's happened so far), then both consumers and developers should be happy.
    11-20-11 01:21 PM
128 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD