It would be nice, but we were basically told that they are now focused on OS2 and don't want to take time away from that for the whole process that is involved in each official incremental public release. Incremental releases are supposed to resume after OS2. However, no RIM plan that I have seen in recent history seems to be written in stone, so you never know.
    11-05-11 05:33 PM
    I just want to see one new feature, rather than constant bug updates, though they are nice to have. Just one.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-05-11 05:43 PM
    I just want to see one new feature, rather than constant bug updates, though they are nice to have. Just one.
    Built in Fart App?
    11-06-11 01:45 AM
    Can you show the confirmation? Did they email you something? It is as confirmed as the past updates in 60 days, summer, fall, devcon from what I've read.
    In Blackberry beta zone forum Playbook Product manager John has confirmed this 2 weeks ago.
    11-06-11 01:47 AM
    Built in Fart App?
    Native fart app? I'll take it!
    Would be funny if one of the RIM CEO's were the source of the farts...lol
    11-06-11 02:17 AM
    doesn't everytime they talk it already sound like fart?
    Last edited by marksasongko; 11-06-11 at 04:37 AM.
    11-06-11 04:34 AM
    In Blackberry beta zone forum Playbook Product manager John has confirmed this 2 weeks ago.
    Could you maybe post a link?

I don't disbelieve you, it's just that I'd like to read the exact words he used. Some of my day job is spent unpicking "truth" from (sometimes deliberately) weasel wording, so I find my eye homing in on weasel-speak like Mr VP's "expected".

I tend to agree with jhimmel above: RIM's obsession with OS2 probably lessens the chances of the 1.1, 1.2, updates occuring, but I live in hope. I guess we'll know in a week or so.

Actually, for myself, I think we really will see OS2 in February. After the unrelenting recent bad news for RIM on multiple fronts, I'm sure the importance of meeting this OS2 deadline is clear to them. If they didn't hit it, I'm sure the world+wife's reaction would fall somewhere between ridicule and disbelief. Playbook may represent a tiny part of the RIM Empire, but I reckon meeting this date has become more about how RIM wants to be perceived by the world than about a mere device update.

Though, having said that I believe OS2 will ship in February, it may not be the OS2 everyone is expecting. If the full feature list isn't complete, I reckon they'll package-up what they've got, call it 2.0, and ship it anyway.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, even OS2-lite will represent an advance, and probably a considerable advance given the time being spent, on what we have now.
    11-06-11 05:01 AM
    Could you maybe post a link?
    login yourself and read it...
    11-06-11 05:48 AM
    login yourself and read it...
    Thanks for that helpful advice, I'll do just that and see what words he used.

LOL. I love this forum, the friendly banter, the cameraderie, the helpful attitudes.

<shrugs> No worries, I'll keep hoping for 1.1 (or whatever) next week.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 11-06-11 at 09:20 AM.
    11-06-11 08:00 AM
    11-06-11 08:49 AM
    Try these links. Far to much info in them to summarize in a post:

https://www.blackberry.com/beta/threads/view/7779?pg=0

Cheers
    Thanks very much for posting those links.

Very impressed with "John the PM" for his direct and honest communication... a refreshing change from the usual RIM "cone of silence"! LOL

RIM should double whatever salary he's on and promote him.
    11-06-11 09:18 AM
    Was it also promised earlier by someone in that forum. The Official Blog from rim said it was EXPECTED in Feb. EXPECTED is no more precise than any of their other supposed dates.
    11-06-11 09:36 AM
    They have enough hot air to provide real-time gas for each pb sold.
    11-06-11 09:39 AM
    I had an upgrade notice this morning. loaded very quickly. Don't see any difference. I'm at 1.07.3312
    11-06-11 10:26 AM
    I had an upgrade notice this morning. loaded very quickly. Don't see any difference. I'm at 1.07.3312
    3312 is the latest current build, so that wasn't the rumoured update I'm afraid.

In the past, I've also been offered updates to the same OS I already had, not sure why. I've read suggestions that PB has noticed that I've deleted/corrupted one of the system files and the "same again" update is the fix for that. It may even be true!

Probably best to pretend it never happened... and keep hoping through next week.
    11-06-11 10:35 AM
    Was it also promised earlier by someone in that forum. The Official Blog from rim said it was EXPECTED in Feb. EXPECTED is no more precise than any of their other supposed dates.
    I have a feeling it will be here a lot sooner they just said February to get everyone off their case....

Glad you are noting the difference between "expected" and "promised" though - funny how last time they said "scheduled" but everyone somehow heard "promised".
    11-06-11 10:53 AM
    I have a feeling it will be here a lot sooner they just said February to get everyone off their case....

Glad you are noting the difference between "expected" and "promised" though - funny how last time they said "scheduled" but everyone somehow heard "promised".
    No. The last real guidance given was just "summer." Not scheduled. Not promised. Just summer.

FWIW, RIM employees such as John on the beta zone don't try to defend the past screw ups. They admit that there were screwups and accept responsibility for them. Why do you still try to excuse this stuff?
    11-06-11 11:08 AM
    Can you help me with a summary to the post on the Beta Zone as it's not available in my country.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-11 12:52 PM
    From the Blackberry blog......"We expect to deliver the new BlackBerry PlayBook OS to customers in February 2012 and we’ll continue to keep you updated as we progress to the launch."

From John the PM in the beta zone...."I'm very confident we'll be ready for our release date."

John does seem very engaged in the beta forums which is a really good thing and he is normally careful in his responses to not over promise anything. Personally I believe him, he does give the impression that he understands the frustration of current PB owners.

Perhaps I am too optimistic, but I agree with a previous poster who suggests that come Feb 2012, OS2.0 will be released, whether it has all the features or not. I think RIM are aware that they need to do so to retain credibility. Internally, RIM must be acutely aware of the bad press and share price drop. The timing for them sucks.

They have a new raft of devices running BB OS7 which they need to flog over the coming Christmas season. It wouldnt make much sense from a sales and marketing perspective to talk up BBX (or whatever it is going to be called) when BB OS7 has only recently been released and all those devices are flowing into the supply chain.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-06-11 01:21 PM

I believe you may have read one or two of my posts () - I try to remember to use INTIMATED rather then promised, scheduled, contracted.

Maybe I could use ALLUDED to the fact that they DELUDED us leaving our pb DENUDED! (oh, that hike energized me and raking oak leaves is "leaving" me here now)
    11-06-11 02:55 PM
    From the Blackberry blog......"We expect to deliver the new BlackBerry PlayBook OS to customers in February 2012 and we�ll continue to keep you updated as we progress to the launch."

From John the PM in the beta zone...."I'm very confident we'll be ready for our release date."

John does seem very engaged in the beta forums which is a really good thing and he is normally careful in his responses to not over promise anything. Personally I believe him, he does give the impression that he understands the frustration of current PB owners.

Perhaps I am too optimistic, but I agree with a previous poster who suggests that come Feb 2012, OS2.0 will be released, whether it has all the features or not. I think RIM are aware that they need to do so to retain credibility. Internally, RIM must be acutely aware of the bad press and share price drop. The timing for them sucks.

They have a new raft of devices running BB OS7 which they need to flog over the coming Christmas season. It wouldnt make much sense from a sales and marketing perspective to talk up BBX (or whatever it is going to be called) when BB OS7 has only recently been released and all those devices are flowing into the supply chain.
    BUT - they never announced a release DATE. They mentioned a Month/Year and then only EXPECTED as the active (or inactive) verb.

I hope this guy John is not overly vested in his openness. I recall in my former job, a very large company had hired an expert to represent them in certain types of governmental reviews. He was really very good and he was also very honest and his position was eliminated after about a year. That type of honesty was not appreciated by the very large company. Here's hoping he makes it through.
    11-06-11 03:03 PM
    Wonder if they have learned thier lesson by now and have put in a relatively conservative date here and hence the confidence level. It would be a departure from the past but would allow them under-commit and over-deliver while pleasing everyone.
    11-07-11 01:46 PM
    Yep in time.amazon fire is cOming next week that means doom for our pb.
    11-07-11 04:43 PM
    Wonder if they have learned thier lesson by now and have put in a relatively conservative date here and hence the confidence level. It would be a departure from the past but would allow them under-commit and over-deliver while pleasing everyone.
    Wouldn't that be awesome? Here's hopin' Rim pulls it together.
    11-07-11 04:57 PM
    I don't know if we are getting a new OS this week, but Crackberry seems to have given us a new forum for tablet OS.
    11-07-11 05:34 PM
128 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD