So i just received a brand new secondary playbook and i have yet to power it up. I know that there is a way to stop the update and be able to root the playbook. Can somebody point me to a step by step guild on how to do this? Preferably one that is understandable to somebody who is new to the playbook scene.
    06-14-12 11:37 PM
    I can make a step by step guide right now.

First off you need CFP 3.9.0.165 and Firmware 2.0.0.4869 (extract the .signed file from the .bar)

Now,
    1. With Playbook connected via USB:
    cfp load 4869.signed
    2. Now boot it up and complete the set up that it wants to do.
    3. As soon as the set up says it will "restart in 10 seconds":
    cfp resetqnxosregion

Now you're on 4869 and can root

Do not let it boot up with latest firmware after completing setup under any circumstances (you will never be able to root!). The reset command puts it back on to 4869 for you.

Alternatively:
    1. Complete setup that it wants you to do.
    2. As soon as set up completed and says it will "restart in 10 seconds":
    cfp load 4869.signed

Remember: if the cfp command fails for any reason, do NOT let the device boot until you get cfp command working! It is easier to prevent issues using the first method which is why I put it first.
    Last edited by xsacha; 06-15-12 at 12:21 AM.
    06-15-12 12:00 AM
    @xsacha, pls i need serious help with my PB.

I just bought this device but because of slow internet i find it difficult to update online
    So i was looking for a way to update the OS manually with my laptop

So i have downloaded the qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.4869.79475.sign ed.bar file from the internet.

i used the method you mentioned above to upload the file.
    What i did exactly was that i extracted the file inside the bar file and renamed it to
    4869.signed. i couldn't use the bar file directly cause cfp kept giving me the error message: 'Error: File not valid'

and i typed the command 'cfp load 4869.signed'.

everything seem to go well but when the PB comes up it continue to show me the "Checking for Update" screen with the green circle rolling. and then nothing happens and i get the Connect to Wi-Fi Screen-Select a Network

when i check the device info from the playbook i see that the PLATFORM VERSION is 2.0.0.4869.

Pls help what can i do? I have had the device close to one month now.
    seriously expecting to hear from you.
    Thanks in advance....
    06-16-12 02:52 AM
    Your Wifi isn't working in setup screen?

Can you try loading 4869 again. The people who get this issue seem to resolve it in this way.
    06-16-12 04:20 AM
    Yes my Wifi is working but as i don't have an active wifi where i leave (we use 3g modems!) i did'nt bother trying to connect it to the internet.

Should i connect to wifi before i get the "restart in 10 seconds" screen you described above?
    Thanks.
    06-16-12 07:25 AM
    Yeah, you need to connect to WiFi for the setup/update to work. Once that works, you'll get to the 'restart in 10 seconds'.
    06-16-12 07:50 AM
    Thanks man you are the best. I'll give feedback later.
    06-16-12 08:14 AM
    Hi, I got to the office today to activate the playbook only to get the following error:

Retry Activation
    BlackBerry Tablet OS
    Version 2.0.0.4869
    Your tablet could not be activated because of error(2012)
    Tap Retry now or Turn Off to try again later.

When I tap Retry I get:

Could not activate this tablet. (2012)
    There was a problem registering with the Blackberry Provisioning System.
    Restart.

Please Advice!!
    06-18-12 03:27 AM
    (...) Do not let it boot up with latest firmware after completing setup under any circumstances (you will never be able to root!).
    Thank you xsacha for this tutorial. I am myself too in the same 'newbie' situation (I don't even know where to find the related files!)
    In the sentence above, do you mean you do have difficulties in rooting the last OS version? (from reading your italian site I was more optimistic)
    Also, from your how-to, do I understand correctly that even if I would receive an 'old' PB model, anyhow I cannot just start it the normal way, because automatically it will update to the latest unrootable OS version?
    Thank you again for this precious info,
    Herv�
    06-28-12 03:37 AM
    In the sentence above, do you mean you do have difficulties in rooting the last OS version?
    There are no difficulties. Works every time.
    Some people have the no wifi bug but that's easy to fix.

Also, from your how-to, do I understand correctly that even if I would receive an 'old' PB model, anyhow I cannot just start it the normal way, because automatically it will update to the latest unrootable OS version?
    You just need a Playbook that has never been used before.

You do the update, but the cfp resetqnxosregion command resets back to 4869. The 'downgrade lock' only occurs once the new OS (1.560) boots up.
    06-28-12 04:15 AM
    You do the update, but the cfp resetqnxosregion command resets back to 4869.
    Thank you!
    Would you have by any chance an url for a step-by-step use of CFP on a macintosh platform?
    Thanks again!
    H.
    06-28-12 04:38 AM
    The leaked cfp.exe is Windows-only. You'd need bootcamp or something.
    06-30-12 08:14 AM
    Just got a second PB last night and wanted to try to root it to poke around for a bit. After flashing with cfp (5 times so far). Wifi is just not working.

I've run cfp load qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.4869.79475.sign ed

Apparently others have had this "no wifi" problem and fixed it... Any hints?
    08-19-12 09:37 AM
    sure you went into setting menu and switched it back on?

off happened to me once after cfpeeing either.

Damian
    08-19-12 10:00 AM
    No I didn't.

Might have been easier than what I did do which was wipe and reload... All is well now.
    Thanks.
    08-19-12 10:24 AM
    I just got a 2nd Playbook.

It is a new 64GB that I got at Office Depot for 199.99.

Will the smaller os.sdk.4869.79475.signed file work or do I need the larger single file.

What should I do first......

Run CFP info to make sure it is rootable?

Or run cfp resetqnxosregion

or do CFP load os.sdk.4869.79475.signed first then run cfp resetqnxosregion.

08-20-12 02:34 PM
    I can make a step by step guide right now.

First off you need CFP 3.9.0.165 and Firmware 2.0.0.4869 (extract the .signed file from the .bar)

Now,
    1. With Playbook connected via USB:
    cfp load 4869.signed
    2. Now boot it up and complete the set up that it wants to do.
    3. As soon as the set up says it will "restart in 10 seconds":
    cfp resetqnxosregion

Now you're on 4869 and can root

Do not let it boot up with latest firmware after completing setup under any circumstances (you will never be able to root!). The reset command puts it back on to 4869 for you.

Alternatively:
    1. Complete setup that it wants you to do.
    2. As soon as set up completed and says it will "restart in 10 seconds":
    cfp load 4869.signed

Remember: if the cfp command fails for any reason, do NOT let the device boot until you get cfp command working! It is easier to prevent issues using the first method which is why I put it first.
    I need help I�m trying to root a new 32gb Playbook. Where can I get step by step instruction where to get all the files you need to download and so and so. And can you factory reset it if you need to send it back for warranty issues? Thank you in advance.
    09-20-12 05:19 PM
    Where do you get/download these files that you need (cfp 3.9.0.167 firmware 2.0.0.4869) is there a how to video? thanks.
    09-20-12 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD