Is the 4G LTE PlayBook rootable yet? If so...... Wouldn't NFC unlock if you were to put the version of BB10 that is on the Dev Alpha onto it? Would we be able to unlock NFC if we were able to gain root access in general or are the NFC settings built into a higher version of 2.0/2.1?
    08-23-12 05:52 PM
    As it sits right now...now.... No....RIM is pretty good at pluging holes in the OS..... even if you could unlock NFC.... what would you use it for... most needs require some sort of app and with the limitation of the Android Player... probably unusable with NFC......unsure why you would want to....
    08-23-12 05:56 PM
    As it sits right now...now.... No....RIM is pretty good at pluging holes in the OS..... even if you could unlock NFC.... what would you use it for... most needs require some sort of app and with the limitation of the Android Player... probably unusable with NFC......unsure why you would want to....
    You have a good point. I just thought it would be cool just to have the option there, to make the most of the PlayBook.
    08-23-12 06:11 PM
    Guys we will probably never see root on any future RIM tablets considering the constant/ongoing blocking of root.
    I guess RIM cares more about enterprise than its consumers.
    08-23-12 06:20 PM
    Guys we will probably never see root on any future RIM tablets considering the constant/ongoing blocking of root.
    As they should. In your lifetime you'll never give RIM $30,000+.. they make that in one shot from a single BES install at a large corp. exceeding 500 users.
    08-23-12 06:22 PM
    As they should. In your lifetime you'll never give RIM $30,000+.. they make that in one shot from a single BES install at a large corp. exceeding 500 users.
    Yea but how many large corps are there in comparison to people like me and you, surely there more of us.
    08-23-12 07:16 PM
    RIM's main customers at the moment are companies and corporations (US and Canada). The average consumer doesn't want a BlackBerry, because they think of them as corporate devices. They want iPhone because they can do 'everthing' (which is not true). They need to depend on enterprise customers right now especially in the US because that's what they are known for. Keeping their title as a secure and safe mobile platform is what attracts companies and brings in the money. RIM wont care about the average consumer until BB10 gets released and the battle with MS, Apple, and Google officially starts in Q1 2013
    08-23-12 07:20 PM
    RIM's main customers at the moment are companies and corporations (US and Canada). The average consumer doesn't want a BlackBerry, because they think of them as corporate devices. They want iPhone because they can do 'everthing' (which is not true). They need to depend on enterprise customers right now especially in the US because that's what they are known for. Keeping their title as a secure and safe mobile platform is what attracts companies and brings in the money. RIM wont care about the average consumer until BB10 gets released and the battle with MS, Apple, and Google officially starts in Q1 2013
    It would be nice if RIM sold root-unlocked devices (playbook) without a BB emblem (so it doesn't ruin there name for security). At least I think it would be.
    08-23-12 07:31 PM
    It would be nice if RIM sold root-unlocked devices (playbook) without a BB emblem (so it doesn't ruin there name for security). At least I think it would be.
    You're not funny. No company would ever do that. Does Apple sell jailbroken iPhones? No. Does Google sell Nexus' with Touchwiz and CWM? No.
    Last edited by sebastianlovestheplaybook; 08-23-12 at 08:06 PM.
    08-23-12 08:01 PM
    You're not funny. No company would ever do that. Does Apple sell jailbroken iPhones? No. Does Google sell Nexus' with Touchwiz and CWM? No.
    Sorry if I was unclear. My point was that I would like to be able to root a playbook. Not that I want it to 'be' jailbroken, but to have the option available is nice.
    08-23-12 08:50 PM
    Sorry if I was unclear. My point was that I would like to be able to root a playbook. Not that I want it to 'be' jailbroken, but to have the option available is nice.
    You'll know, one of the reasons people go (or decide to stay) with BlackBerry actually is security. So no, plugging the root hole was not a bad move and is far from not caring about us.

No offense to the capable hands that worked on cracking the code, but what did rooting do fur us again? Because I sure don't miss Hulu, themes and the Android Market.

Most of the things we want/need will be addressed by BB10. If it is half as good as it looks, I don't see the need for rooting.

But hey. What do I know?
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-24-12 at 07:15 AM.
    08-23-12 10:17 PM
    ^ yea very good point. The only thing I really would like to do is overclock the processor to 1.2ghz or even 1.5. Other than that it was just kinda cool.
    08-23-12 10:42 PM
    ^ yea very good point. The only thing I really would like to do is overclock the processor to 1.2ghz or even 1.5. Other than that it was just kinda cool.
    First thing I hear about rooting that appeals to me...
    antiRIM likes this.
    08-24-12 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD