that would quiet at least some of the complaints, or at least make the people look like idiots when they ***** about glitches in the beta to their friend.

Wouldn't hurt to block Beta OSs from commenting on apps in the App World or making purchases (at least as easily, some developers may need to purchase something to test their app).

Because first and foremost, this is a developers beta. RIM had made it easily accessed in order to remove ALL roadblocks for potential developers, but it is till available only for developers.

People don't realize that, so RIM should try to ensure they do.
    11-06-11 01:06 AM
    People don't realize that, so RIM should try to ensure they do.
    People do realize it, they just don't care. Logic fails.
    JeepBB, KermEd and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-06-11 01:15 AM
    People do realize it, they just don't care. Logic fails.
    True, but a great big BETA notification should make most people pause.
    11-06-11 01:33 AM
    [WARN]Warning: Only proceed with this upgrade if you are a developer that needs to test an Android app packaged for the BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry WebWorks application on PlayBook OS 2.0.[/WARN]

[WARN]The PlayBook OS 2.0 is currently available as a developer-only beta[/WARN]

[WARN]This version of OS 2.0 does not contain end user features such as: email, calendar contacts, video store, etc.[/WARN]

[WARN]BLACKBERRY� TABLET OS SOFTWARE BETA LICENSE AGREEMENT

Research In Motion Limited or one of its affiliates ("RIM") is pleased to make available to you individually, or if you are authorized to acquire the Beta Software (as defined below) on behalf of your company or another entity, the entity for whose benefit you act (in either case, �You�), at no charge, a beta version of BlackBerry Tablet OS software version 2.0 (�Beta Software�).
    The Beta Software is licensed to You by RIM under the current version of RIM�s BlackBerry Solution License Agreement (�BBSLA�) for Your jurisdiction, as amended by the terms set forth below. These terms, together with the BBSLA, form an agreement between You and RIM with respect to Your use of the Beta Software (�Beta License Agreement�) and supersedes any agreement that You may be presented with when installing or launching the Beta Software.

BY CLICKING "I AGREE" WHERE PROVIDED BELOW, YOU ARE AGREEING THAT THE TERMS OF THE BBSLA AS AMENDED BY THE TERMS SET FORTH BELOW APPLY TO YOUR USE OF THE BETA SOFTWARE.
    IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CURRENT BBSLA READILY AVAILABLE, IT CAN BE FOUND AT https://www.blackberry.com/legal/ OR BY CONTACTING RIM AT [email protected].

AMENDMENTS AND ADDITIONS TO THE BBSLA 1. Definitions. All capitalized terms herein have the meaning set out in the BBSLA unless otherwise indicated. For the purposes of the Beta License Agreement only, all references in the BBSLA to �Agreement� are replaced with �Beta License Agreement� and the term "Software" includes the "Beta Software".

2. Confidentiality. You acknowledge and agree that: (a) subject to sub-paragraph (d), the successful market launch of commercial versions of RIM products and/or services requires You to keep all information provided to You by RIM in connection with this Beta Software testing program, including, without limitation, the Beta Software (the "Content") strictly confidential; (b) the premature release of any of the Content would damage RIM�s competitive edge and intellectual property rights; (c) the Content shall not be shared with anyone other than Your Authorized Users; and (d) only Content that has been publicly released by RIM may be discussed or shown to the public.

3. Beta Software License. For the purpose of this Beta License Agreement only, Sections 2(a) and (b) of the BBSLA, "Software and Documentation License", are hereby deleted in its entirety and replaced with the following "Beta Software License": The Beta Software is licensed, and not sold, under this Beta License Agreement. Subject to the provisions herein, this Beta License Agreement grants You a temporary, personal, non-exclusive, non transferable, revocable, royalty-free license to install and use a copy of the Beta Software on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet for the purpose of enabling, and solely to the extent necessary to enable, You, and Your Authorized Users to test the Beta Software, including testing the performance of applications developed by You in conjunction with the Beta Software, and to provide Feedback to RIM regarding the Beta Software. Any right or license granted by RIM pursuant to this Beta License Agreement will automatically terminate upon the earlier of the following (i) the expiration of the applicable test period, if such a period is identified on the website on which You registered to obtain the Beta Software ("Registration Site"); or (ii) upon notice by RIM, which shall be deemed to have been duly given when transmitted to the email address furnished by You when registered at the Registration Site, and if You provided no such email address, notice may be duly given when prominently posted on the Registration Site and/or BlackBerry - BlackBerry | BlackBerry.com Legal Notices from Research in Motion (RIM). Upon the expiration or termination of the rights or license granted to You pursuant to this Beta License Agreement, You must immediately cease using the Beta Software and delete all copies of the Beta Software in Your possession or control.

4. No Warranty and No Liability. You understand and agree that the intent of this Beta Software program is to test pre-commercial Software and Services which may contain bugs or other errors, and may not yet have the approvals and certifications necessary for commercial deployment. Accordingly, in addition to the restrictions in the BBSLA on using Your BlackBerry Solution for mission critical applications, in no event shall You use the Beta Software or any Services accessible through the use of the Beta Software in any productive or other environment where You are relying on the performance of the Beta Software or Services. FURTHER, NOTWITHSTANDING ANY PROVISION IN THE BBSLA TO THE CONTRARY (including without limitation anything contrary within the Sections 16, 19 and 20 of the BBSLA, entitled �Limited Warranties�, �Disclaimer� and �Limitation of Liability� respectively), EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED BY LAW IN YOUR JURISDICTION, THE BETA SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE". ALL CONDITIONS, ENDORSEMENTS, GUARANTEES, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY CONDITIONS, ENDORSEMENTS, GUARANTEES, REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF DURABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, MERCHANTABILITY, MERCHANTABLE QUALITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, OR TITLE, OR ARISING FROM A STATUTE OR CUSTOM OR A COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED.

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW IN YOUR JURISDICTION, AND IN ADDITION TO THE LIMITATIONS, EXCLUSIONS AND DISCLAIMERS ON LIABILITY SET OUT IN THE BBSLA, RIM IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE AVAILABILITY, USE, PERFORMANCE OR NON-PERFORMANCE OF THE BETA SOFTWARE, AND IN NO EVENT SHALL RIM BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT OR THE BETA SOFTWARE, REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE OF ACTION THAT GIVES RISE TO SUCH DAMAGES, WHETHER OR NOT SUCH DAMAGES WERE FORESEEN OR UNFORESEEN, AND EVEN IF RIM HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
    [/WARN]
    ^^

All on the download page

Ya, one more would really deter them.

The sheer number of people who asked how to uninstall it, despite it being listed RIGHT ON THE DOWNLOAD PAGE proves people don't read, don't care and blatantly ignore any warning you give them. No matter how obvious it is. Just like how people never read contracts either. You could have people sign over anything you wanted if contracts of that nature were legally binding, simply because some people again, don't read, don't care and just want what they want when they want it.

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Consequences be damned.
    11-06-11 01:13 AM
    Wow!!! I serves them right if a person disregards such warnings and goes ahead and downloads OS 2. They ignored the warning!! Only for developers, which most people are not.
    11-07-11 07:34 PM
    How about if that beta label on the homescreen was an easy onboard downgrade system? Or at least instructions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 11:13 PM
    They should also include a giant rub on tattoo, about the height of a persons forehead. The tattoo would read "BETA", for those who disregarded the warning.
    Last edited by elchavodellethbridge; 11-08-11 at 08:05 AM.
    11-08-11 06:38 AM
    you mean a great big ALPHA label?

the beta (full functionality) with email client will enter closed beta testing late december, based on what RIM said.
    11-08-11 02:33 PM
    the beta (full functionality)
    thats a contradiction.

the whole point of a beta is to reduce impact to end users when the final product launches, and sometimes this beta software is distributed in either an open or closed beta for particular testing instances - AIR3.0, Android player and updated Webworks in this case.

a `beta` build with full functionality would be given the title of `release candidate` and if passes the testing would then be given `gold` certification.

what you mean, is a release candidate build, not a testing beta build.

as for the actual topic, i wouldnt say a big red beta sticker, but maybe like windows do with their dev betas, where just above the taskbar you have the version details, thats the `common` practice if you do want to show its a beta. its unobtruisive for those that want to use and test on it (devs are users too) but still shows its a beta as a constant reminder.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-08-11 07:17 PM
    I agree with Bla1ze on this one. There are enough warning messages before you download it. And all users HAVE to go through that page to download it. It's not like multiple sources have it up for download and are bypassing the warning messages....
    11-11-11 01:07 PM
    Ya, there are enough warnings, however I think reviews should be blocked, or give developers (or RIM app world MODs) ability to delete reviews from os 2.0 users.

Honestly I've downloaded os 2.0 bc I have an RMA kit to fix my pb, and looking through all the reviews on the newer hd games, I see waaay too many this sucks, doesn't work, crashes too many times...etc etc etc. The worst part is in the description, the dev will put ***NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OS 2.0***

C'MON MAN!!

Finally we get some bomb apps and games coming, and we get ignorant 'how do I install this torrent' back woods, leap before ya think, give em a dunce cap and get over it, people dropping rating levels with their 0 ratings.....arrrrgh!

Sorry, but as a BlackBerry apologist to all my ifriends, its hard when good progress is slowed by people who can't read...

/endrant

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-12-11 05:57 AM
    Kinda hoping they would put beta warnings on 1.x versions.
    11-13-11 07:21 PM
    Kinda hoping they would put beta warnings on 1.x versions.
    ^
    Fails to read the actual post. Or feels unloved and feels the need for attention online.

Anyways, I don't think it is really RIMs fault. They explain that it is beta. A lot. Several times. People just aren't smart enough.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-11 08:43 PM
    Well, aren't we all Beta Testers on the Playbook anyway. One version is just a little less ready for public consumption than the other. I have to wonder which one though.....hmmm Reminds me of the Van der Waals equation.
    11-14-11 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD