Until now, there isn't any easy way to input Chinese/Japanese/Korean in Playbook. I am not sure why their share price keeps falling but just a little thing, the input methods might give a hint how bad the company's strategy is. They totally ignored the biggest market where Apple, car markers, almost every company wants to grab their gold from

What do you guys think???
    Last edited by i-love; 05-30-12 at 05:01 PM.
    05-30-12 04:44 PM
    I think you are reading too much into the stock price today, after all, the stock is only down $ .35/share for this week. The OS for Playbook is very new, they got it out, but it is clearly a work in progress and the next update this week might solve your problem there. Give them some time to re-organize a huge business, develop a new state-of-the-art OS and bring a new line of phones to market!!!! Despite all of the media nonsense, RIM is focused on turning their company around.
    05-30-12 04:52 PM
    I think it may not be easy to add those languages to a new OS. You should see if they need help doing it. As for share price have you seen how much the total market is down?
    05-30-12 04:53 PM
    OP: You have an interesting viewpoint.
    I am not sure about the Chinese or Korean market.

Japan is not a big market for RIM. It is mostly for BES users.
    Having a Japanese native speaker in our (US) household who has a PB, a PB native Japanese KB will be a plus for writing email etc.. However, when going to a Japanese website, it renders correctly in Japanese character set.
    That being said, a bridged BB9900 having the Far-Eastern language BB OS overcomes the entry problem.
    05-30-12 05:07 PM
    Investment psychology has a lot to do with it. The fact that the company is struggling much like gateway and compaq years ago does not help. They really need to be aggressive with the carriers to improve data plans (listening ATT) for tethering, make up a trade up program and donate old phones to charity. Better then a write down on shelved inventory! Marketing creativity does not seem to be a core value.
    I'd guess some of you guys have some real gems that would be winners.
    05-30-12 08:40 PM
    It's true that playbook can display all characters from the beginning.
    05-30-12 08:47 PM
    Share price fell because the stock market is essentially another form of gambling.... Have a look at the top 20 movers in the Nasdaq today - only 3 were net positives (Apple, Intel, and Arena Pharm.). The only significant move was Apple for 6.90, and I would attribute that to Tim Cook's appearance at AllThingsD. Even on the NYSE there were only 3 positives out of the top 30 movers for the day. Its still a very tough economy worldwide at the moment, so investors are looking for safe havens.

RIM needs to be a little more aggressive with marketing, and get those updates out that improves the relationship between the phones and the Playbook. No other platform has that tight of a synergy between the two (HP tried to with the Pre/TP...but we know how that ended up), and I think it was a fantastic marketing opportunity that they haven't pursued hard enoough. I fear though of the Osborne effect with the current phones though, now that BB10 is officially announced. After seeing how good BB10 is, most upgraders will hold off until the new phones are out, rather than being stuck with a previous gen phone for another contract. Plus RIM have been quiet about BB10 and the enterprise markets, RIM's cash cow.
    05-30-12 09:30 PM
    RIM just announced operating losses in the most recent quarter and significant layoffs to follow. This stock drop is an indication from investors that they are viewing this as a desperation move, vice restructuring and improvement. This is not good for RIM. I would expect major changes... either a buyout or major restructuring.
    05-30-12 09:34 PM
    RIM just announced operating losses in the most recent quarter and significant layoffs to follow. This stock drop is an indication from investors that they are viewing this as a desperation move, vice restructuring and improvement. This is not good for RIM. I would expect major changes... either a buyout or major restructuring.
    I wonder how many people thought that of Apple in the mid 90s.....

Where in this press release does Heins mention significant layoffs? He seems a lot more positive than Whitman at HP. Maybe they are the same investors that were duped with the facebook IPO......
    05-30-12 11:06 PM
    I wonder how many people thought that of Apple in the mid 90s.....
    Apple received a large cash infusion from Microsoft following the US DOJ anti-trust case against Microsoft. Without the cash infusion you can rest assured Apple would have been bankrupt and out of business shortly thereafter. Stop with the revisionist history. Research In Motion, on the other hand, has significant cash reserves and a steady monthly revenue stream from the wireless carriers due to BIS and BES subscribers.
    05-30-12 11:20 PM
    Apple received a large cash infusion from Microsoft following the US DOJ anti-trust case against Microsoft. Without the cash infusion you can rest assured Apple would have been bankrupt and out of business shortly thereafter. Stop with the revisionist history. Research In Motion, on the other hand, has significant cash reserves and a steady monthly revenue stream from the wireless carriers due to BIS and BES subscribers.
    I thought it was Microsoft's promise to have Office available for the Mac that saved Apple more so than the cash.

Anyway, RIM could bounce back overnight if Microsoft announces Skype and Office for the PlayBook. I can dream.
    05-30-12 11:39 PM
    I thought it was Microsoft's promise to have Office available for the Mac that saved Apple more so than the cash.

It was. It limited the defections. But from what I have read Apple was also close to running out of cash.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-30-12 11:46 PM
    It was in response to the "doomsayer" I quoted...tongue in cheek, as you may have noticed from the . The next paragraph backs up your point.

Furthermore, RIM are lucky they still have subscribers and a revenue stream from BIS/BES. But, they still have similar issues to Apple from the mid 90s of releasing below par products, inventory problems, and (previously) had management which didn't seem to provide a clear direction forward. I've seen a fresh and honest approach from the new CEO, and time will tell if he can turn the continual negative press around.

PS I'm a first time BB user for the last week (I bought a Bold 9900), coming from a Nokia N9....the phone/OS that BB10 seems to take a lot of cues from. I'm hoping RIM do take off with BB10, as Meego was a joy to use!
    05-31-12 12:36 AM
    WTF does this have to do with the Playbook besides the write down?
    Post crap like this (for people who dont get it) in the GENERAL area...
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    05-31-12 01:27 AM
    It was in response to the "doomsayer" I quoted...tongue in cheek, as you may have noticed from the .
    My 'doomsaying' comes from knowing how to read a financial statements and knowing that RIMM's free cash flow has taken a big hit, mostly from the massive Playbook inventory writeoffs late last year. The still have operating cash, their investments in BB10 which have yet to pay any dividends... and if it doesn't, they are going to start burning through their cash quickly. They are in a bad, but not hopeless spot. But with 500M+ shares out there, and the price dropping over 10%, that is a lot of money lost. Once investors lose faith in them, the ship will start sinking fast. This is called analysis and fiscal reality, not doomsaying... whether you agree with it or not. And by groveling at the door of JP Morgan, RIMM is also doing a fiscal reality check of it's own and likely looking for a buyer while there still is value in their name.
    05-31-12 08:58 PM
    That being said, a bridged BB9900 having the Far-Eastern language BB OS overcomes the entry problem.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. BlackBerry makes it possible, but in no way enjoyable.

In HK the Samsung Galaxy SII and Note sold like hotcakes because it was easy to handwrite on them. The iPhone allows this also.

In mainland China a lot of people use the pinyin system (ie: keyboard amenable) but the BlackBerry implementation of pinyin is nowhere near s convenient as what's available on other platforms.

Also, having on-screen keyboard makes it much easier to type in CJK in general.
    i-love likes this.
    05-31-12 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD