Could they be using QNX Softwares OS expertise to further enhance and integrate into their device platforms? Check out QNX.com...

They have alot of dealings with OPEN GL and advanced universal applications wit 3D graphics support.
    04-09-10 09:25 AM
    Most likely, to help them develop a new OS direction. There's mentions of ARM type support for RTOS they designed, fast boot, adaptive partitioning, secure wireless communications. They also have kernel designs which exhibit high security certification... something RIM wants to keep.

Seems they are reaching out to others to improve what they lack.

There's also a good chance this could steer the whole NOC infrastructure into a new direction (depending on software implementation). I guess we'll have to wait and see... it sure would have been nice for RIM to start doing this 2 years ago however. lol
    04-09-10 09:32 AM
    Research in Motion said Friday that it had signed a deal with Harman International to acquire its QNX Software Systems unit to help tie its BlackBerry smartphones to car navigation systems.

Terms of the deal were not announced. It is expected to close within 30 to 45 days if it passes regulatory approvals.

RIM said it would use the technology in "intelligent peripherals" as well as tie its BlackBerry smartphone closer to in-dash navigation systems.

1diggdigg

"In addition to our interests in expanding the opportunities for QNX in the automotive sector and other markets, we believe the planned acquisition of QNX will also bring other value to RIM in terms of supporting certain unannounced product plans for intelligent peripherals, adding valuable intellectual property to RIM's portfolio and providing long-term synergies for the companies based on the significant and complementary OS expertise that exists within the RIM and QNX teams today," said Mike Lazaridis, RIM's president and co-chief executive at RIM.
    From pcmag
    04-09-10 05:03 PM
    Yea i agree with JRSCCivic on the timing. It definetly looks like something that will improve the stale but secure OS. Just how long is it going to take to be implemented i say 3 years tops. We all know RIM moves like pond water. And by the time they integrate this it will be out of date anyway
    04-09-10 05:08 PM
    John Gruber said that this could be like the NeXT acquisition was for Apple but for RIM. I hope so too, but hopefully RIM will see results quicker than Apple did. For reference, the NeXT acquisition was in 1996, OS X 10.0 came in out in 2001.
    04-09-10 08:05 PM
    Most likely, to help them develop a new OS direction. There's mentions of ARM type support for RTOS they designed, fast boot, adaptive partitioning, secure wireless communications. They also have kernel designs which exhibit high security certification... something RIM wants to keep.

Seems they are reaching out to others to improve what they lack.
    Software firms buy other firms all the time to use their technology. It's no different than Apple buying chip makers or mobile ad firms. There are no negative implications to this.

There's also a good chance this could steer the whole NOC infrastructure into a new direction (depending on software implementation). I guess we'll have to wait and see... it sure would have been nice for RIM to start doing this 2 years ago however. lol
    You have no idea what RIM is going to do with it. The thing doesn't even have a UI.

Where do you get this notion that RIM is desperate to replace its OS, do you have some sources telling you this, or just from imagination? You seem fixated on the idea.
    04-09-10 08:43 PM
    You seem fixated on your 9700 being the isht.

The public's opinion and word has brought a lot of development from RIM... the Blackberry Beta Zone is one example.
    I'm not fixated on the 9700, just don't want people F'ing with what works. If I wanted an iPhone I'd buy one.
    04-10-10 09:56 PM
    I'm not fixated on the 9700, just don't want people F'ing with what works. If I wanted an iPhone I'd buy one.
    Too late... the process is already underway.
    04-10-10 09:58 PM
    whats wrong with the 9700 its a swt phone you shouldnt have anything bad to say about it!
    04-11-10 04:18 PM
    There's nothing sweet about the 9700 that isn't sweet about any other Blackberry. It's the same thing... just in a different wrapper. It doesn't do anything better then the last model out.
    04-11-10 04:41 PM
    Yea i agree with JRSCCivic on the timing. It definetly looks like something that will improve the stale but secure OS. Just how long is it going to take to be implemented i say 3 years tops. We all know RIM moves like pond water. And by the time they integrate this it will be out of date anyway

I wouldn't say 3 years tops at all, seeing as they care so much about Security, company's like Hewlett Packard, have a 30-36 month roll out on new secure systems, and even then the BIG customers wait for 1 year after release before adopting the new system,

NOW I do Hope Rim moves faster then the likes of HP with software rollouts, maybe this purchase is to speed up something already in the works, which is what I hope

But any Software purchase by RIM makes me happy, they are doing something to update things, and not just wiping the slate clean and starting from Scratch, it is much harder to do what RIM is doing than it was for apple to start fresh with the iPhone, and DROID, but they should be on the path to catching up by now common boys!
    04-12-10 11:27 AM
    There's nothing sweet about the 9700 that isn't sweet about any other Blackberry. It's the same thing... just in a different wrapper. It doesn't do anything better then the last model out.
    Going to have to disagree with this one JR. The 9700 is by far the best BlackBerry on the market. And definitely the quickest. In comparison to it's predecessor the 9000, it has much improved power management(best of any BlackBerry on the market) thanks to revised & rewritten radio stack. And while the 9000 was the speediest of it's time, the 9700 has it beat.

I totally get what you're saying, and most of it's spot on, just not all of it. ))
    04-12-10 05:30 PM
    Going to have to disagree with this one JR. The 9700 is by far the best BlackBerry on the market. And definitely the quickest. In comparison to it's predecessor the 9000, it has much improved power management(best of any BlackBerry on the market) thanks to revised & rewritten radio stack. And while the 9000 was the speediest of it's time, the 9700 has it beat.
    Going to have to disagree with this one CX. The 9000 is definitely "quicker" than the 9700. Significantly. Ive run tests (high and low level) and the 9000 will always out perform the 9700, whether it be graphics, complex processing, or load times. Ive actually been putting some documentation together to show this. I can't speak for power management but performance the 9000 owns :P

Heres a quick test. Do a battery pull on a 9700 and 9000 at the same time, on similar OSs and same apps. The 9000 will destroy the 9700.
    04-12-10 06:54 PM
    Going to have to disagree with this one CX. The 9000 is definitely "quicker" than the 9700. Significantly. Ive run tests (high and low level) and the 9000 will always out perform the 9700, whether it be graphics, complex processing, or load times. Ive actually been putting some documentation together to show this. I can't speak for power management but performance the 9000 owns :P

Heres a quick test. Do a battery pull on a 9700 and 9000 at the same time, on similar OSs and same apps. The 9000 will destroy the 9700.
    I would like to see these results before passing judgement on this post. But I wouldn't be shocked if you were right.
    04-12-10 06:58 PM
    I would like to see these results before passing judgement on this post. But I wouldn't be shocked if you were right.
    I'll post them up a little later, just talking with CX and having him run some tests, so we'll see
    04-12-10 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD