I have never owned a smartphone and when I bought my playbook I did not realize I needed to run an important app that only runs on android. There is an accompanying program that runs fine on playbook. So I am thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy and tethering it to the playbook (my intent is to get one program on the Playbook and the android program on the Samsung at the same time.) Is it possible to run both devices at the same time or is it a one thing or the other situation?
    Are there any other disadvantages to using the Samsung instead of a Blackberry smartphone as long as they both have compatible bluetooth and a dataplan for the phone.

Many thanks to anybody who can help educate me. Hope this hasn't been asked 15000 times already.
    09-28-12 09:29 AM
    I believe you can carry on using your phone when setup as a wireless hotspot, if that is what you are asking.
    brucemcl777 likes this.
    09-28-12 11:10 AM
    I have ...
    ... no answers, but your question is not yet clear

You want to use the Android phone to provide Internet to the playbook?

While doing that you ask if you can still use other Funcions on the Phone or if it is blocked as long as using it as hotspot?

Or do you want to connect two apps via wifi or Bluetooth, so that the PB app and the Android Phone app communicate directly with each other?

One answer, yes: The term Tethering means, the phone connects other connected devices into mobile internet (2G/3G/4G). Nothing more.

Ray
    brucemcl777 likes this.
    09-28-12 11:24 AM
    Ok sorry about the lack of clarity - What I want to do is access my TD Waterhouse Brokerage account through my playbook when I am not home. That works already when I have Wifi. But the other application is streaming quotes also through TD Waterhouse which is a Java application that will only work with Android. I have confirmed that with Waterhouse. So for that I would need an Android phone to do simalteneously. If it is not possible then I can use a Blackberry smartphone to tether and live without the streaming quotes. I hope that is clear if not I will delve further into it.

A second way I could work it would be a data stick but there is no USB port so that's out. I'm also looking at mobile hotspot gadgets that connect by bluetooth if anyone knows what is compatible with the Playbook.
    09-28-12 11:59 AM
    ok, i tend to have understood some more
    since only few answers, i try, but i dont know the android side in the equation.

you go out and want to see info from internet in app 1 on PB.

that will work re the pb. either via bluetooth function profile "dial up network" or wifi hotspotted phone. i bet at least one of them will work between andro and pb. just guessing.

app 2 only is designed for java, so you need android (really true all android phones can run java J2ME apps?). or another phone serving wifi tethering and able for j2me.

the question is, will both (wifi tethering for pb app1) and app2 with access to internet simultan'ly. i bet, my bada phone could do similar with an iphone plus playbook via tethering and i was surfing with an j2me browser on the phone as well.

maybe someone else can confirm.

ray

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryacht; 09-28-12 at 02:33 PM.
    09-28-12 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD