You and I have totally different viewpoints. I carry my laptop around to do work too detailed for a phone. The ipad is way to big for me. The Playbook might be the right size. I can use it instead of my laptops' RDP to enter my systems while holding the thing comfortably on my lap. I may be able to look at longer documents more comfortably than on my phone (but not as nicely as my laptop).

And of course assuming it comes with a decent browser, it makes for a more pleasurable experience than any phone surfing.
    Screen size is nice, but when it comes to touchscreen phones the side of the iPhone or some Android devices, it's not that hard to use them for remote means. What makes it hard is when no one that represents a popular solution company wants to code for your POS platform. (i.e. LogMeIn has Ignite for the iPhone/iPad, but not RIM devices.) So, in a case of having to carry an iPhone or a BB, I'd take the iPhone simply because there are more choices and SOLUTIONS to everyday issues through a large selection of apps for that device. A lot of people keep harping that there's nothing but fart apps for the iDevices, but the truth is, developers and everyday software use companies write apps for those platforms much easier then they could for the BB platform. Fact is, even SlingMedia has given up on building a proper Slingbox client for BB, yet today I read they already have one built for WindowsPhone7. Hummm... that's funny and interesting at the same time.

So, even when the PlayBook comes out with QNX on it, developers must want to write apps for it, which will be totally dependant upon if it's lucrative enough for them to do so. Who's using the device, can those apps be also utilized by future BB devices running QNX, how long before that happens? All these questions will need VERY good answers in order for devs to even bother with it. Fact is, BB is the only platform out there that must have programs written for it specifically built for each and every individual phone model in the BB lineup. That's pretty sad, especially since RIM doesn't tell you a lot of these things up front. So, while a dev can port an app for an iDevice and be confident that it'll run on any iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad regardless of screen size, they can't do the same for current BB devices. If this isn't resolved under the new RIM hardware/software designs, then BB will continue to be a platform that no one wants to write isht for. Why? Because it's a waste of time without enough of a monetary return on it, that's why.
    10-21-10 02:22 PM
    Screen size is nice, but when it comes to touchscreen phones the side of the iPhone or some Android devices, it's not that hard to use them for remote means. What makes it hard is when no one that represents a popular solution company wants to code for your POS platform. (i.e. LogMeIn has Ignite for the iPhone/iPad, but not RIM devices.) So, in a case of having to carry an iPhone or a BB, I'd take the iPhone simply because there are more choices and SOLUTIONS to everyday issues through a large selection of apps for that device. A lot of people keep harping that there's nothing but fart apps for the iDevices, but the truth is, developers and everyday software use companies write apps for those platforms much easier then they could for the BB platform. Fact is, even SlingMedia has given up on building a proper Slingbox client for BB, yet today I read they already have one built for WindowsPhone7. Hummm... that's funny and interesting at the same time.

So, even when the PlayBook comes out with QNX on it, developers must want to write apps for it, which will be totally dependant upon if it's lucrative enough for them to do so. Who's using the device, can those apps be also utilized by future BB devices running QNX, how long before that happens? All these questions will need VERY good answers in order for devs to even bother with it. Fact is, BB is the only platform out there that must have programs written for it specifically built for each and every individual phone model in the BB lineup. That's pretty sad, especially since RIM doesn't tell you a lot of these things up front. So, while a dev can port an app for an iDevice and be confident that it'll run on any iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad regardless of screen size, they can't do the same for current BB devices. If this isn't resolved under the new RIM hardware/software designs, then BB will continue to be a platform that no one wants to write isht for. Why? Because it's a waste of time without enough of a monetary return on it, that's why.
    +1.........
    10-22-10 12:03 AM
    Oh my good if this is even half true I'm totally drolling over this now GO RIM finally in BIGGER BETTER LEAGUE
    10-23-10 08:57 AM
    I'd take the iPhone simply because there are more choices and SOLUTIONS to everyday issues through a large selection of apps for that device.
    Unless you're looking for some type of simple LED Notification App..
    10-23-10 09:10 AM
    Unless you're looking for some type of simple LED Notification App..
    Yes, because I'd rather have a blinky red light telling me I have a message waiting then be able to remotely control a PC or reprogram a router with my phone in a pinch.
    10-23-10 09:49 AM
    sorry but i find it kinda stupid to buy an expensive ipad and use it as a sub for light weight notebook of netbook. looking at pp reading their ipad or playing games and walking at the same time is absolutely a stupidity. Its a real big pad and i wish everyone drop their ipad and crack the screen.

ok hahaha lets move on and back to storm?

i wont mind having a seperate new OS for storm.

cheers
    People don't walk around using the iPad. If so I never witnessed it. Now I have seen people walking around using BB's, iPhones, droids, etc...etc...

R.I.P storm....
    10-23-10 10:54 AM
    People don't walk around using the iPad....[snip]
    It's way too bulky, you would drop it, someone would walk into you, trip etc. My S2 can be operated with one hand, even if I get bumped, I wouldn't drop it.
    10-23-10 11:47 AM
    Yes, because I'd rather have a blinky red light telling me I have a message waiting then be able to remotely control a PC or reprogram a router with my phone in a pinch.
    Day-in and day-out, yes - I think the "average" phone user would get more use out of a "blinky red light."
    10-23-10 12:32 PM
    I do neither..as I'm sure 99% of the cell phone populace doesn't as well. Though I do know lots of people who like that little blinky red light.
    10-23-10 02:47 PM
    Day-in and day-out, yes - I think the "average" phone user would get more use out of a "blinky red light."
    Well, if you like your blinky red light, I'm sure you'd be happy with the 1967 hotel phone still made available equipped with the very same "blinky red light". I, on the other hand, prefer a full color screen VoIP phone on my desk. To each their own.
    10-23-10 02:49 PM
    I do neither..as I'm sure 99% of the cell phone populace doesn't as well. Though I do know lots of people who like that little blinky red light.
    What's funny is when the majority of people are asked what they like about their BB, they all answer "the blinky red light". lol That's kind of like answering "the taste" when asked what you like most about drinking water. I think that pretty much speaks volumes of the BB populace out there. Frankly I'm surprised that the PlayBook doesn't require an "inverted shake" to reboot it.
    10-23-10 02:52 PM
    Android has both LED lights and Remote desktop apps. You guys can enjoy the best of both worlds.
    10-23-10 02:58 PM
    Android has both LED lights and Remote desktop apps. You guys can enjoy the best of both worlds.
    Except proper security policy of ActiveSync profiles. WTF is up with Google and that anyway? I don't get it. We're almost at 3.x versions and they still haven't fixed ActiveSync to support proper security policies like password control and remote wipe. I don't understand what they're waiting for on this. If Apple can do it, why can't they?
    10-23-10 03:07 PM
    Except proper security policy of ActiveSync profiles. WTF is up with Google and that anyway? I don't get it. We're almost at 3.x versions and they still haven't fixed ActiveSync to support proper security policies like password control and remote wipe. I don't understand what they're waiting for on this. If Apple can do it, why can't they?
    No clue. Hopefully it gets added soon.
    10-23-10 03:14 PM
    No clue. Hopefully it gets added soon.
    Hope so, because until that happens, no one is going to take Android seriously in the corporate enterprise world... no one. Companies have better control over iPhones and iPads then they do over Android devices... I wonder how many admins actually know that, rather then letting their dislike of Apple products cloud their judgement on allowing an Android device access but not an iOS device.
    10-23-10 03:23 PM
    Hope so, because until that happens, no one is going to take Android seriously in the corporate enterprise world... no one. Companies have better control over iPhones and iPads then they do over Android devices... I wonder how many admins actually know that, rather then letting their dislike of Apple products cloud their judgement on allowing an Android device access but not an iOS device.
    True. I know a ton of people in the corporate world on Android devices. I know Android is really taking the consumer approach at this point (besides Moto's "security upgrades" in the Droid Pro), but they should start building on their enterprise services.
    10-23-10 03:27 PM
    Frankly I'm surprised that the PlayBook doesn't require an "inverted shake" to reboot it.
    Lol..who says it won't? Could be similiar to the old Etch a Sketch's..
    10-23-10 04:29 PM
    Lol..who says it won't? Could be similiar to the old Etch a Sketch's..
    Ya, that's kind of the tongue in cheek direction I was going with that... lol
    10-23-10 04:42 PM
    What's funny is when the majority of people are asked what they like about their BB, they all answer "the blinky red light". lol That's kind of like answering "the taste" when asked what you like most about drinking water. I think that pretty much speaks volumes of the BB populace out there. Frankly I'm surprised that the PlayBook doesn't require an "inverted shake" to reboot it.
    Do you have some information to back up it's all about the red blinky light, or is that more RIM bashing?
    10-23-10 05:06 PM
    Do you have some information to back up it's all about the red blinky light, or is that more RIM bashing?
    No, I was being serious. I ask people I meet all the time to give me their #1 impression of a like or dislike of their BB. #1 is always LED notification. lol Very few complain about truncated emails because they simply don't get it. And the #1 complaint is lack of apps. A lot of BB users want to be able to do some of what their friends do on an iPhone or Android device, but can't find the app to do it. So, they either don't bother with it or find another (more involved) way to do the same thing... if it's even possible.
    10-23-10 05:10 PM
    No, I was being serious. I ask people I meet all the time to give me their #1 impression of a like or dislike of their BB. #1 is always LED notification. lol Very few complain about truncated emails because they simply don't get it. And the #1 complaint is lack of apps. A lot of BB users want to be able to do some of what their friends do on an iPhone or Android device, but can't find the app to do it. So, they either don't bother with it or find another (more involved) way to do the same thing... if it's even possible.
    Even though BB is a common tie, we are worlds apart with respect to what our peers, coworkers, friends, neighboors think of BB. As I said elsewhere all platforms across different manufacturers have limitations, you pick and choose what you like most and hate least.

BTW. I too like the red blinky light. Although since I left and got a new career, as I used to program operating systems, I consider myself a technically sophisticated user...so I am entitled to like the red blinky light.
    10-23-10 05:18 PM
    People don't walk around using the iPad. If so I never witnessed it. Now I have seen people walking around using BB's, iPhones, droids, etc...etc...

R.I.P storm....
    Yes, u never witness it. But I'm sure there are people out there on earth witness it. Sorry to inform you that I saw it with my eyes. I am not blind and fugly ipad is too big to mistaken it for a paper book. I am living in a small country. I am shameful of my fellow country fellows who carry an ipad reading it or playing games on it while walking. I hope they drop it and smash their screen!
    10-23-10 05:26 PM
    lol civic... do you want to know why some of us like our bb's?

Lame vulns that show up regarding the most SIMPLE of OS functionality that take MONTHS[every time] to fix...

Apple Acknowledges Security Flaw; Will Be Fixed In iOS 4.2 - iPhone Hacks

�We�re aware of this issue and we will deliver a fix to customers as part of the iOS 4.2 software update in November.�
    Until then here's some advice from our fantastic readers: Don�t leave your iPhone unattended and you�ll be fine.
    So the advice is don't sleep?

This is just the latest example, I could fill this page with examples... every month some new exploit is released [and these are just the public ones...].

QNX has a better track record as well regarding security. I remember exploiting a proprietary version on the i-Opener [the original "i" device] and my god does the security run circles around iOS.
    10-29-10 03:24 AM
    lol civic... do you want to know why some of us like our bb's?

Lame vulns that show up regarding the most SIMPLE of OS functionality that take MONTHS[every time] to fix...

Apple Acknowledges Security Flaw; Will Be Fixed In iOS 4.2 - iPhone Hacks

So the advice is don't sleep?

This is just the latest example, I could fill this page with examples... every month some new exploit is released [and these are just the public ones...].

QNX has a better track record as well regarding security. I remember exploiting a proprietary version on the i-Opener [the original "i" device] and my god does the security run circles around iOS.
    Lol, I lost count on how many things are broken in every current BB OS in production or how some things are broken to fix others with every OS release. Some bugs take RIM so long to fix that unless the public points them out, they wouldn't even know they were there. Most certainly the carrier testers wouldn't find them. Sure, not all of them can be considered security holes.... that part is left up to the native ability of the BB to have apps pushed down from carriers in countries that believe in nefarious monitoring of their people (remember the program pushed down to the phones to snoop on people in the ME a few months ago?)

So, I think it's fair to say that each platform has its flaws and weaknesses, but it's really the capabilities of said devices we should be concentrating on. Honestly, I like RIM a lot, bit I'm getting very tired of the limitations their platform has had for many years. The biggest issue I've had with them is their reluctance to change. Even with QNX onboard, chances are good that they won't be making changes to their backend NOC configs and we'll still be stuck with download limits and bs truncated emails. Call me when that changes...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 08:39 AM
    It's on Verzion. I really don't care about it.

R sprint customers gonna havein to go to verizon,to get a HOT phone,cos verizon is comein with all the hot phones-strom3-iphone5-htc dual core phones-come on sprint-can anybody tell me what sprint has for 2011? High end phones dual core,hi res,ect :-)

10-30-10 10:42 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD