If you build it they will come.

Personally I think that no matter when they "get it together" they will make the comeback everyone is waiting for.

Even if one was to switch to something else, once they release a device that is on par with all the other phones PLUS has everything that we love about BlackBerry, I believe a lot of people will come back.

Remember all this news and rumours are just speculation. Until they make an official announcement nobody really knows for sure. They surprised the **** out of me with the PlayBook. Maybe they have a few more surprises up their sleeves.

If they released new devices at the same time along with the PlayBook and you had to make the choice between the PlayBook or a smartphone with the same speed and interface AND can make calls, what would you choose? I can see why they would wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 09:15 AM
    I think you have to realize that RIM has been playing with QNX for 2 years or more. They didn't buld the playbook between April and Sept. And the fact that they are showing off QNX (or marketing videos of it) means that it is close to market. So what you describe has happened. That is where the 9870, 9570, 9800, and 9670 came from. Also the 9300 curves. So what are you seeing now are all the refreshed highe spec devices in the same mold as the last henration that will Run BB 6. So they are now ready to start delivering QNX. Keep in mind that RIM execs where quoted as talking about having it on smartphones in 1st half of 2011 and that whole platform should turn over in 2 years. That means those buying new BB's now would be getting QNX devices at the end of their contract. So if they don't have QNX out their early in 2011 that cycle would 3 years or more.
    I am sure nobody thinks they have only just started working with qnx this year, but equally, your assumption that it is as long as 2 years that they have been hard at work on this os seems equally flawed.

As far as those devices you mention above, those are updates to the existing line-up, given the way rim work, it wouldn't surprise me if the next lot of devices are a good step up in spec, able to be upgraded later to the qnx os, but for now are running os6.x instead.

Now maybe I am being too cynical in my opinion of some poster's motives, but such firm declarations that the next blackberries must be qnx-based almost seems like people preparing a negative response they could still use even if we finally saw Rim address all the main current outstanding issues such as processor speed, screen resolution, memory issues etc. in the next batch of devices.
    10-19-10 09:40 AM
    I am sure nobody thinks they have only just started working with qnx this year, but equally, your assumption that it is as long as 2 years that they have been hard at work on this os seems equally flawed.

As far as those devices you mention above, those are updates to the existing line-up, given the way rim work, it wouldn't surprise me if the next lot of devices are a good step up in spec, able to be upgraded later to the qnx os, but for now are running os6.x instead.

Now maybe I am being too cynical in my opinion of some poster's motives, but such firm declarations that the next blackberries must be qnx-based almost seems like people preparing a negative response they could still use even if we finally saw Rim address all the main current outstanding issues such as processor speed, screen resolution, memory issues etc. in the next batch of devices.
    I say 2 years for a few reasons. First, it's a reasonable time frame if they are coming to market soon with a device. It would take about 2 years. Second a few posts have cited that RIM has been working with QNX for about that long, and has been hiring developers from QNX for at least that long as both companies are HQ'd in Waterloo. Of course both of my reasons are speculative.

I think RIM needs to start moving over to QNX in 2011 and have at least a Storm and a Torch form factor running that OS by Q3 2011 because they have already opened up Pandora's box. They showed off QNX at dev con in Sept 2010. They talked up all the wonders that it will bring. VP's at RIM said there whole platform will move over in 2 years. So if By Sept 2011, a year later, they only have a PlayBook to show for it...

Well...you can figure out what that will look like.

Of Course, if it is good, and the hardware is solid and the systems perform really well, none of this will matter and when it comes out people will migrate back to RIM from other systems. I would.
    10-19-10 11:35 AM
    Of Course, if it is good, and the hardware is solid and the systems perform really well, none of this will matter and when it comes out people will migrate back to RIM from other systems. I would.
    Keep in mind that hardware and software aren't the only reasons why people are tired of RIM. Download and email size limitations are another big hit. Not a lot of people talk about it, but I can usually tell who's received a truncated email when you see them scrolling to the bottom of an email and then murmer a "isht" followed by either a reply to the email or a phone call asking for further details. lol

If RIM keeps up with that same bs once QNX is out, you can bet people will disown them some more. They'll characterize it as the crazy ugly girl who's just had plastic surgery to be hot but is still crazy underneath. It won't be enough on one side to put up with the entire package.
    10-19-10 12:15 PM
    who thinks because of steve jobs comment we get to see a video leak of qnx sooner now?
    10-19-10 12:21 PM
    Steve does have a good point though. If you have a phone that can do what the iPhone can do, why create a tablet that's only 3" more in screen size? For Apple it would be a useless market. The only reason why you'd even buy an iPad if you're an iPhone user is for the laptop sized screen needs. Other then that, you'd just use your iPhone. I for one think the two devices are somewhat redundant of eachother, but a 7" iPad would be even more so.

As far as RIM is concerned, I think they're using the PlayBook as a crutch until they can get QNX out for the BBs. I think it's their way of distracting people from the slump of the past 2 years.
    10-19-10 12:33 PM
    Keep in mind that hardware and software aren't the only reasons why people are tired of RIM. Download and email size limitations are another big hit. Not a lot of people talk about it, but I can usually tell who's received a truncated email when you see them scrolling to the bottom of an email and then murmer a "isht" followed by either a reply to the email or a phone call asking for further details. lol

If RIM keeps up with that same bs once QNX is out, you can bet people will disown them some more. They'll characterize it as the crazy ugly girl who's just had plastic surgery to be hot but is still crazy underneath. It won't be enough on one side to put up with the entire package.
    Your right, but that is more of a platform thing and has exactly zero to do with the Device OS or Device Hardware. Maybe Bis 3.5???

I think they should set up a limit that users can choose. Most carriers are at or are going to tiered data pricing. So set up a per message Limit that users can define. If Truncating a few annoying spam emails helps you avoid overage charges on data that could be good.
    10-19-10 12:55 PM
    Your right, but that is more of a platform thing and has exactly zero to do with the Device OS or Device Hardware. Maybe Bis 3.5???

I think they should set up a limit that users can choose. Most carriers are at or are going to tiered data pricing. So set up a per message Limit that users can define. If Truncating a few annoying spam emails helps you avoid overage charges on data that could be good.
    And that's just it. We've discussed this before and it's the most MISUNDERSTOOD aspect of how a BB handles email to the handheld. The full email is NEVER delivered to the BB even if it's a small one or a big one that gets truncated. I don't know the exact size, but it brings down part of it and then you have to either hit Menu/Get More or Menu/Get More All or simply scroll down enough to trigger the Auto More function you have set in Email Options. If you see the email is SPAM, none of the Get More functions need be triggered, so you wouldn't eat anymore of the bandwidth you would even if the email is one to be truncated, because you'd see the first screenfull and decide it's junk and not trigger the remainder of the download.

You're not alone on this... A LOT of people don't know email functions this way on a BB. Sometimes I wonder why they never ask what the Auto More or Get More functions are... it's amazing how many people don't know how things work on a BB yet insist that it's the best emailing device out there.
    10-19-10 01:02 PM
    And that's just it. We've discussed this before and it's the most MISUNDERSTOOD aspect of how a BB handles email to the handheld. The full email is NEVER delivered to the BB even if it's a small one or a big one that gets truncated. I don't know the exact size, but it brings down part of it and then you have to either hit Menu/Get More or Menu/Get More All or simply scroll down enough to trigger the Auto More function you have set in Email Options. If you see the email is SPAM, none of the Get More functions need be triggered, so you wouldn't eat anymore of the bandwidth you would even if the email is one to be truncated, because you'd see the first screenfull and decide it's junk and not trigger the remainder of the download.

You're not alone on this... A LOT of people don't know email functions this way on a BB. Sometimes I wonder why they never ask what the Auto More or Get More functions are... it's amazing how many people don't know how things work on a BB yet insist that it's the best emailing device out there.
    So your point is drop truncation and allow the more/Auto More function to allow users to manage excessively sized spam? That makes sense. what about an email that incorporates large image files. So it's an all or nothing. A lot of marketing emails I receive are just a large image or series of images or HTML. Not sure you can break those up into "More" pieces.
    10-19-10 01:06 PM
    So your point is drop truncation and allow the more/Auto More function to allow users to manage excessively sized spam? That makes sense. what about an email that incorporates large image files. So it's an all or nothing. A lot of marketing emails I receive are just a large image or series of images or HTML. Not sure you can break those up into "More" pieces.
    Pretty sure you can because I don't think the email model cares about what's in the email, but rather the size of it. It is a good question though. I can speak for sure about text and html/text based emails and the Auto More function. However, seeing how you have to manually trigger a picture download in HTML emails anyway, it shouldn't matter. You should get the placeholder for the picture and have to still trigger the Get Pictures option. I'm willing to bet they could handle the embedded picture (copy/pasted) the same way they handle PDF downloads. Have you ever noticed how you can say Get File and see the full page, but then you zoom in and it's blurry for a few seconds and you notice data being downloaded and then the image gets sharp from the additional data. They could do the same with your example of emails. Right now, there's no way to see a picture zoomed in if it's been pasted into the body of the email. You can't even download the picture at full size to view it. If they incorporate pinch/zoom into the email client (like the iPhone does), they could employ the same functions as with the PDF attachments to limit the size of data you eat up initially. For example, you can problably tell what the email is about from the subject line and the small blurry image. If you don't want it, don't zoom into the page and it won't download the additional bytes for the full email. It's really not that hard to implement this... I just don't think those goons have thought about it. If they had, it would have been happening by now, instead we get kindergarden quality HTML and truncated email.
    10-19-10 01:20 PM
    Be careful. Jobs is going to sue you if you keep using "Pinch to Zoon" in your posts. That's his IP Gosh darn it!
    10-19-10 01:26 PM
    Be careful. Jobs is going to sue you if you keep using "Pinch to Zoon" in your posts. That's his IP Gosh darn it!
    lol, it's ok, I'm protected by my +200 Defense Turtleneck Sweater Tunic.
    10-19-10 01:29 PM
    lol, it's ok, I'm protected by my +200 Defense Turtleneck Sweater Tunic.
    Akkk. That's the second D&D reference I have heard in as many weeks.

that's what we need in App world... A dove app with d20 and the whole gang.

10-19-10 02:35 PM
    lol, I don't or have ever played D&D. I have however played other role playing games that are PC or console based. That's where my reference for jokes like this come from. And no, I don't play WoW.
    10-19-10 09:49 PM
    I think, to get back a bit on track, that the Tablet OS will be slightly different than the BB QNX OS. Based on the same Kernel, but the BB QNX OS won't need the ability to pair with a BB for one. I noted that the Tablet OS actually KIND OF looks like BB6 making BB6 a step in between 5 and QNX. Look at the words a third the way up on the Tablet pics. AL GAMES MEDIA SOCIAL FAVORITES Look familiar? The QNX BB OS will keep that "same" feel that RIM wants but much more user friendly I imagine. Lots of hope there! Let's go RIM!
    BlackBerry - PlayBook Tablet PC - BlackBerry PlayBook Specs Pricing and More at BlackBerry.com
    10-19-10 11:49 PM
    If QNX can run on the playbook, ubuntu can, since it did say "POSIX" compatible, so any linux fans or regular users can use it.

Last edited by Rootbrian; 10-20-10 at 02:11 AM.
    10-20-10 02:07 AM
    Now here is where it got cool. Adobe flash was incorporated into the browser and I have to say I was super impressed. Compared to mobile safari, this is better. Full desktop quality rendering of pages. While it looked better pages rendered slightly faster on the iPhone 3GS but faster than the Moto Droid. Another nice addition is tabbed browsing. It is implemented very cleanly into the browser UI.
    Boy, congrats again RIM, barely surpassing an almost year old phone. Sounds like they're doing the bare minimum again. 20 second boot up time? Sounds like the RIM we've grown to know, always trailing behind, what with HTC Desire Z / G2 having a boot time of just inside 5 seconds, on Android. Tabbed Browsing? Flash?! Boy, where have we seen all this before..

Right, 2.1 and 2.2. Yawn. Give us something new and unseen, not scramble to catch up to everyone else.

Also, I seriously doubt it looked better than the Droid, display-wise. There've been a lot of studies that have shown that the Droids screen is the only one comparable to Retina display in refresh, vibrance, and true blacks, barely surpassed by S-AMOLED in blacks and colours. It beat the **** out of SLCD and AMOLED. So unless RIM is using S-AMOLED, which is incredibly unlikely, seeing as a) Samsung can barely churn out enough to keep up with their own devices demands and b) manufacturers left and right are turning to Sony's SLCD screens since they can be produced apparently much faster and look 98% as good.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 10-20-10 at 05:47 AM.
    10-20-10 05:43 AM
    lol, I don't or have ever played D&D. I have however played other role playing games that are PC or console based. That's where my reference for jokes like this come from. And no, I don't play WoW.
    LOL. The +200 gives it away. That's a tad excessive in pen and paper terms.

10-20-10 06:05 AM
    I am thinking that we won't see much else from RIM until whatever VZW unveils at CTIA. In fact VZW doesn't seem to have much for the holidays. Even on the android side all you are is the HTC Merge which is a lower end device.

I think the focus will be 4G laptop connectors and tablets.

Then at CTIA we will see the 4G phones that will drop between Feb and May.

You might get the 9570 in there or an official BB6 for the 9650 and 9330 but the next big bang will by a touchacerb QNX phone. If not at CTIA then at WES in April.

10-20-10 06:11 AM
    Steve does have a good point though. If you have a phone that can do what the iPhone can do, why create a tablet that's only 3" more in screen size? For Apple it would be a useless market. The only reason why you'd even buy an iPad if you're an iPhone user is for the laptop sized screen needs. Other then that, you'd just use your iPhone. I for one think the two devices are somewhat redundant of eachother, but a 7" iPad would be even more so.

As far as RIM is concerned, I think they're using the PlayBook as a crutch until they can get QNX out for the BBs. I think it's their way of distracting people from the slump of the past 2 years.
    You and I have totally different viewpoints. I carry my laptop around to do work too detailed for a phone. The ipad is way to big for me. The Playbook might be the right size. I can use it instead of my laptops' RDP to enter my systems while holding the thing comfortably on my lap. I may be able to look at longer documents more comfortably than on my phone (but not as nicely as my laptop).

And of course assuming it comes with a decent browser, it makes for a more pleasurable experience than any phone surfing.
    10-20-10 01:16 PM
    sorry but i find it kinda stupid to buy an expensive ipad and use it as a sub for light weight notebook of netbook. looking at pp reading their ipad or playing games and walking at the same time is absolutely a stupidity. Its a real big pad and i wish everyone drop their ipad and crack the screen.

ok hahaha lets move on and back to storm?

i wont mind having a seperate new OS for storm.

cheers
    10-20-10 01:40 PM
    Huh? You lost me after, "sorry." I've decided to wait for the LTE Storm. Not going to go Andriod or iPhone. I like how BlackBerry is set up, except foe the browser. I hope the next Storm has a good browser!

10-20-10 03:26 PM
    interesting find on qnx if you go to there website and you go un der partners ther have worked with pretty much everyone and with google on navigation tools and yes it says APPLE with graphics interesting does steve jobs know the real potential of qnx?
    10-20-10 04:29 PM
    It's on Verzion. I really don't care about it.

I highly doubt QNX phones will be Verizon exclusives. They will shift everything to QNX and will not give Verizon exclusivity... especially if there will be a Verizon iPhone in the near future.
    10-21-10 01:18 PM
    I highly doubt QNX phones will be Verizon exclusives. They will shift everything to QNX and will not give Verizon exclusivity... especially if there will be a Verizon iPhone in the near future.
    I read where ATT is slated to get their own version of the PlayBook. Yes...QNX will not be a VZW exclusive.

10-21-10 01:47 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD