Salomondrin posted his own info in June.

"Here we go again, getting excited about a phone that probably won�t come out until next year. Yes, I�m talking about the Storm 3. A couple of my sources have been talking to me lately about the new Storm 3, and I gotta tell you guys it sounds FREAKING AWESOME!! Everyone knows I�m a huge fan of the Storm 2, but from what I�ve heard so far about the third version of the Storm� I think I�m in love already.
    Here are some Storm 3 specs and info that I�ve heard so far repeatedly from my sources:
    1. Its being tested by a very limited team (preventing leaks).
    2. The phone�s shell is still the Storm 2′s shell with different guts though (To make it hard to identify if the phone is lost or photographed).
    3. It does have a 1ghz processor.
    4. 8 GB internal memory.
    5. 512MB flash memory was what they saw first, but apparently they are now playing with these test phones and have over 1GB of flash memory.
    6. It won�t run on OS 6.0. Its gonna be running on an OS of its own. <� Really exciting
    7. The phone does have the ability to run widgets and you can personalize it A LOT.
    8. 5 MP camera still on it as off now, but like we saw on the 9670, this can change.
    9. The screen will be something new we haven�t seen yet (new input mechanism) ,but it won�t work like the Storm 2. Yes, it will have SURE-PRESS, but I�m not sure how they are archiving it this time.
    10. Its gonna be Verizon�s 1st or 2nd LTE phone. They aren�t sure if the Android phone will be first or the Storm at this point.
    The reason why RIM doesn�t want this phone to leak, or are being more careful about it, is because it would confirm that Verizon will be launching their LTE network (which by the way is already set, but just running tests on as off these days) and its somehow a liability for them.
    Again, and as you know, some things could/will change but those are the specs as off today."

The above was posted before we had heard of QNX or even the 9570 coming out. With the indication that 5MP camera was being used on this device and it looked like an S2, I'm fairly certain that this was most likely a 9570 device instead of a rigged S3 into an S2 design. There is also mention of widgets which we know that OS6 does not have implemented in the fasion that we know of. So, what's the possibility that this was a 9570 with QNX onboard?

Discuss...
    10-18-10 12:08 PM
    I have a friend who works for RIM and I can confirm the above.

But it is VERY VERY confidential testing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 12:43 PM
    Only if I had verzion. Oh well, maybe Sprint will get a Torch like a device down the line. Sounds pretty darn cool to me.
    10-18-10 01:03 PM
    I think this phone has a better processor at least. Gawd, I hooe so anyway...lol!

I also think Sal is one of our most reliable informants, so I do believe we have at least two exciting products coming from RIM.

That is all I know...lol!

10-18-10 01:23 PM
    Of Course RIM is testing QNX on devices. The 9570 could have been used.

I don't understand why they called the OS on the PlayBook, "Tablet OS". If it is going to drop on a Storm form factor device at about the same time Q1 or Q2, then that name is just dumb. Unless they will have 2 variants of the same OS, and then what, BB7 launching under a year after BB6? Just sounds to me like RIM is kind of rudderless now. I think they need a year or so to get their sh^t in order, and I don't know if they have that...

IDK - It is interesting to watch, I am just disappointed that RIM has nothing to offer me now that I am eligible for a new device.
    10-18-10 01:25 PM
    And Civic - I recommend you go dig out J Levy's post as that was pretty much in line with Sal's. It helps show how long this thing has been in Dev....
    10-18-10 01:26 PM
    I think RIM was rudderless, but I think they also may have found it. I think that's why they aren't putting a lot into OS6. It was just a crutch to get them to the completely new QNX OS. I'm thinking 2011 is going to be their turnaround year.

10-18-10 01:30 PM
    It's on Verzion. I really don't care about it.

10-18-10 01:31 PM
    And Civic - I recommend you go dig out J Levy's post as that was pretty much in line with Sal's. It helps show how long this thing has been in Dev....
    I actually went back and read that post last night. It gives a lot better info and def gets you more excited for the device. Problem is that it also gets me more frustrated and impatient that I'm also due for an upgrade since it's been 2 years with my S1 and they are still dragging their feet on it.

I am excited how he describes the screen as being a lot better then the Droid too. So at least the device he was talking about screen wise will most definitely be competitive with all the Droid devices out there. Now we just gotta see about the iPHone 4....
    10-18-10 01:32 PM
    I'll wait for this unit, sounds good.

10-18-10 01:34 PM
    The rumors have been churning and low and behold the Storm 3 is a real device. I only had about 5 minutes with the device and I could not take pictures or notes. There is also some information I cannot state as to protect the innocent.

The first thing I noticed about the Storm 3 is how much thinner it is then the 9550. Think iPhone thin. It also felt considerably lighter but I did not have enough time to break out my triple beam. There were reports from bbleaks that the boot up time was much faster and indeed it is. I counted to myself and it was 20 seconds from the time I pressed the on button to being fully powered up. Let me discuss the screen for a moment. It is the best screen I have ever seen. The color and resolution is fantastic. Compared to the Moto Droid sitting next to it, blew it out of the water. The UI is different. I cannot get into specifics, but Storm 3 does widgets

Something else I noticed was the speed of processor. I don't know what is under the hood but it was smoking fast even with the beta OS being used. It beat the Droid on every task I threw at it. Hands down the fastest phone I have used.

Now here is where it got cool. Adobe flash was incorporated into the browser and I have to say I was super impressed. Compared to mobile safari, this is better. Full desktop quality rendering of pages. While it looked better pages rendered slightly faster on the iPhone 3GS but faster than the Moto Droid. Another nice addition is tabbed browsing. It is implemented very cleanly into the browser UI.

The camera has been upgraded and is rocking a 6MP beauty. Photos I took on it were fantastic. Available RAM has been increased to 512mb, a nice bump for sure. I wasn't able to see what the SD card was so I have no idea there.

IMO this phone outperforms the Droid in all areas except for available apps (BB APP World is still very small). There were no games installed so I couldn't determine how well this phone performed from a gaming standpoint. Maybe on Round 2 I will be more lucky.

Just when I was about ready to give up on RIM, I am pleased to see the huge strides they have made not only from a hardware but also software perspective.

P.S. Rumors of this having a slider are completely false. There are and were never any plans on combining this phone with a slide-out Qwerty.

Here is the post from JLevy which was back in Dec of 09.....
    10-18-10 01:36 PM
    If it only comes out on Verizon again then who cares! They need this phone out soon, and it needs to be released on every carrier.
    10-18-10 03:31 PM
    If it only comes out on Verizon again then who cares! They need this phone out soon, and it needs to be released on every carrier.
    How about the millions of storm users who are looking at Droids for upgrade. Plus the storms have been world phones and this could port over.

Besides it is most likely LTE, and only 1 carrier will have that up by even Q1 of 2011.

10-18-10 04:02 PM
    Previously it was only on Verizon because they paid the money or ordered enough to have it exclusive in the US, there were no technical reasons not to have a umts version there since it was available from Vodafone and others outside of the states. Given verizon have a much wider range of devices nowadays, I bet we will see it show up on other carriers next time round.

As far as this and other new models, I bet we will still see a fair few running os6.x of some sort, products will be planned out well in advance so they wouldn't want to risk delays in the playbook having a knock on effect delaying a bunch of new products. I don't think we will see qnx-based smartphones until next winter.
    10-18-10 04:09 PM
    Of Course RIM is testing QNX on devices. The 9570 could have been used.

I don't understand why they called the OS on the PlayBook, "Tablet OS". If it is going to drop on a Storm form factor device at about the same time Q1 or Q2, then that name is just dumb. Unless they will have 2 variants of the same OS, and then what, BB7 launching under a year after BB6? Just sounds to me like RIM is kind of rudderless now. I think they need a year or so to get their sh^t in order, and I don't know if they have that...

IDK - It is interesting to watch, I am just disappointed that RIM has nothing to offer me now that I am eligible for a new device.
    Yea Tablet OS is a pretty boring and generic name. Especially since the PlayBook isn't the only tablet on the market. IMO they were better off calling "PlayBook OS". Their must be a different variant with some features missing or included for smartphones. I wonder what they will call it for the Storm..."Touchscreen OS"? rofl
    10-18-10 04:22 PM
    come on CX throw us a bone!!!!!!!!!!please!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-18-10 04:38 PM
    As far as this and other new models, I bet we will still see a fair few running os6.x of some sort, products will be planned out well in advance so they wouldn't want to risk delays in the playbook having a knock on effect delaying a bunch of new products. I don't think we will see qnx-based smartphones until next winter.
    Next Winter??!! You can't be serious! The phone JLevy speaks of runs widgets and we know OS6 doesn't, therefore whatever phone he's talking about(S3, Triton) has to be running something other then OS6. Therefore it's gotta be the QNX OS cause I don't see any way RIM could be working on 3 OS's. If that really is the case then yeah maybe your right and we won't see this phone till maybe next winter, however I don't see that happening. Or maybe I should say that better not happen
    10-18-10 04:39 PM
    lol, do you honestly think I don't remember that post and the details in it? Who do you think you're talking to?

However, there was some info in that post that didn't jive with my speculations on this thread, so I didn't include it. Most notably, the form factor portion of the post. It was understood that the 9570 was the same dimentions as the 9550, hence, the phone sal played with might have been a 9570 with an early version of QNX on it, where as the one jlevy played with could have been what's pictured in the Storm3 thread that CX opened.
    10-18-10 04:40 PM
    lol, do you honestly think I don't remember that post and the details in it? Who do you think you're talking to?

However, there was some info in that post that didn't jive with my speculations on this thread, so I didn't include it. Most notably, the form factor portion of the post. It was understood that the 9570 was the same dimentions as the 9550, hence, the phone sal played with might have been a 9570 with an early version of QNX on it, where as the one jlevy played with could have been what's pictured in the Storm3 thread that CX opened.
    So do you think maybe the one CX posted a pic of was the phone with the codename Triton? Althou it was my understanding that they are one in the same with the S3.
    I think RIM needs to do away with the Storm name after all the bad reviews the phone originally got anyay, so BB Triton it is
    JK, I know they won't use a code name for the release name of the phone.
    10-18-10 04:52 PM
    I think Blackberry 7 would be great for Blackberrys. It seems that every [osname] 7 release has been a virtual reinvention of the OS (Windows 7, Windows Phone 7, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (NDA sorry), etc)
    10-18-10 05:29 PM
    Next Winter??!! You can't be serious! The phone JLevy speaks of runs widgets and we know OS6 doesn't, therefore whatever phone he's talking about(S3, Triton) has to be running something other then OS6. Therefore it's gotta be the QNX OS cause I don't see any way RIM could be working on 3 OS's.
    No idea who JLevy is or what random rumours he or she may have cobbled together, you only have to look at the way the 9570 and that other storm 3 to see how easily various rumoured devices can get jumbled together.

One thing we do know is that Rim has multiple development teams and it wouldn't make good sense financially to have most of them just learning to develop qnx blackberries leaving a larger gap until the next batch of devices were ready, so the most likely scenario is that we will see hardware updates for most of their main devices brands (bold, storm, curve and torch) running os6.x on higher spec hardware that will later get an upgrade to the qnx os.
    10-18-10 09:09 PM
    I'm just sick of watching other carriers getthing the new phones in styles I like whether they be BB or Android and not seeing these or similar styles on VZW. Sprint just got the BB "Style" which is very cool looking (love the colors! but the screen is to small for me anyway) Is VZW always behind the pack when it comes to offering new phones?
    10-19-10 01:27 AM
    I'm just sick of watching other carriers getthing the new phones in styles I like whether they be BB or Android and not seeing these or similar styles on VZW. Sprint just got the BB "Style" which is very cool looking (love the colors! but the screen is to small for me anyway) Is VZW always behind the pack when it comes to offering new phones?
    Yeah but Verizon got the Storm and Sprint has never seen a BB with a touch screen, and their is no info or leaks of one even coming to Sprint at this time. I'd much rather see the 9570 or Torch on Sprint then that clamshell. I think that RIM needs to stop the exclusive stuff and just make phones! The Curve was the most successful smartphone for a long time in the US because you could buy it on any carrier. Storm or Torch would do better if they were on multiple carriers in the US and you would get more developers behind them if they were out there in greater numbers.
    10-19-10 05:53 AM
    Yeah but Verizon got the Storm and Sprint has never seen a BB with a touch screen, and their is no info or leaks of one even coming to Sprint at this time. I'd much rather see the 9570 or Torch on Sprint then that clamshell. I think that RIM needs to stop the exclusive stuff and just make phones! The Curve was the most successful smartphone for a long time in the US because you could buy it on any carrier. Storm or Torch would do better if they were on multiple carriers in the US and you would get more developers behind them if they were out there in greater numbers.
    Keep in mind that the Storm and the Torch were comissioned by the carriers that good exclusive on them.

Also VZW has cancelled the 9570 and 9670 according to rumors.

VZW is also cranking away on the android front. So they have a lot of nice offerings. BB just doesn't make that cut for them anymore I guess. That or they don't like phones whose mode #'s end in 70.

10-19-10 06:55 AM
    No idea who JLevy is or what random rumours he or she may have cobbled together, you only have to look at the way the 9570 and that other storm 3 to see how easily various rumoured devices can get jumbled together.

One thing we do know is that Rim has multiple development teams and it wouldn't make good sense financially to have most of them just learning to develop qnx blackberries leaving a larger gap until the next batch of devices were ready, so the most likely scenario is that we will see hardware updates for most of their main devices brands (bold, storm, curve and torch) running os6.x on higher spec hardware that will later get an upgrade to the qnx os.
    I think you have to realize that RIM has been playing with QNX for 2 years or more. They didn't buld the playbook between April and Sept. And the fact that they are showing off QNX (or marketing videos of it) means that it is close to market. So what you describe has happened. That is where the 9870, 9570, 9800, and 9670 came from. Also the 9300 curves. So what are you seeing now are all the refreshed highe spec devices in the same mold as the last henration that will Run BB 6. So they are now ready to start delivering QNX. Keep in mind that RIM execs where quoted as talking about having it on smartphones in 1st half of 2011 and that whole platform should turn over in 2 years. That means those buying new BB's now would be getting QNX devices at the end of their contract. So if they don't have QNX out their early in 2011 that cycle would 3 years or more.

And I just don't think RIM has until late 2011 to show off what they can do.

10-19-10 07:15 AM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD