uy in as well.

If Apple, RIM, and Google would band together and make a common cross-platform standard for office programs (like word processors and spreadsheets), then this could really take off!
    you mean like Oracle's Open office? which is free, compatible with almost all formats including PDF output?

Also in regards to the "post PC era" and dockable tablet to devices. this isn't the way I want to go.

I would rather see everything completely wireless. Sit down at the TV with your playbook, your playbook becomes the full remote for the TV.
    Sit down at your desk, likewise

Or in the car, Sit down and have everything automatically wireless connected and sharing. Instead of having to 'dock" things. everything automatically connects all the time acting as one giant Personal Area Network
    Last edited by Sprawl; 05-08-12 at 12:09 PM.
    aespel likes this.
    05-08-12 12:05 PM
    I think that RIM need to get their BB10 onto a lot of great smartphones and tablets before they try to build a PC.
    05-15-12 09:54 AM
    you mean like Oracle's Open office? which is free, compatible with almost all formats including PDF output?

Also in regards to the "post PC era" and dockable tablet to devices. this isn't the way I want to go.

I would rather see everything completely wireless. Sit down at the TV with your playbook, your playbook becomes the full remote for the TV.
    Sit down at your desk, likewise

Or in the car, Sit down and have everything automatically wireless connected and sharing. Instead of having to 'dock" things. everything automatically connects all the time acting as one giant Personal Area Network

This is what I said from the beginning as my view on where RIM will take the future of the "Laptop"...With QNX, RIM will provide a united experience on all fronts and allow the user seamless connectivity among phone,tablet,tv,car,and laptop...docking is good for right now but 5 years in technology is a long time and docking will not be a viable solution...it offers an experience that users do not relate to or appreciate...most people, common people will not want to plug in their devices to monitors and all that and have chords or whatever lying around...apple has this vision with iCloud but RIM and QNX OS can take it further and implement it much better than apple is...

Wireless connectivity among all RIM devices is what they need to do just like someone mentioned earlier...the TAT video shows this connectivity and it is genius and simple!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-16-12 05:13 PM
    hello, i have been seeking to find a copy of the QNX 2 OS.
    i have a machine that relies on it to work and since RIM purchased QNX, they no longer support the older OS.
    if by any chance you could share a floppy image of the QNX 2 OS, i would greatly appreciate it.

the machine that is needing it is a KASTO GKS-400-PM miter SAW, used for cutting tube steel.
    03-11-13 07:46 AM
    They should adopt the way Ubuntu is doing it, have the PC version within the phone and when its docked then the PC version is displayed
    11-20-13 07:12 AM
    11-20-13 08:53 PM
    QNX was also poplar as an imbedded os in various systems. When Amiga folded, there was some talk about Gateway modifying QNX
    as the new Amiga OS when they owned Amiga for a while. I still have my A4000 system and a 3.5 demo disk of QNX with gui, networking,
    & browser for the Amiga.
    11-27-13 11:21 PM
    good morning
    is QNX able to be put on a PC as its OS ?
    i know its a rather niave question given linux/ubuntu etc as alternatives to OSX and sWindles, i just wondered if currently or in foreseeable future this was possible

cheers

Liam
    yeah, many years ago I remember installing a floppy version of QNX, called Neutrino. Trust me, it's not worth the aggravation trying to get it to run now, it's very obsolete at this point.
    12-03-13 09:03 PM
    I had a friend who worked at QNX in the era when it supported PCs with several possible windowing systems - the user could choose - that they called POSIX compliant. I had copy at one time but did not use it much.

The most interesting thing he described to me was its networking ability. Because of its microkernel architecture, a PC running a given program could tap into other PCs on the LAN with unused processor cycles, sending them a sub-process and accepting the results back into the master program. The program literally ran on the whole network.

While an individual tablet is probably never going to have much power or memory, relative to PCs, this ability to spawn processes across a network could support some very interesting applications.

It's a great pity that we wound up with MS-DOS and its Windows inheritors. QNX in the 80s was a multitasking, multiuser system that ran on an 8086. If we had started there, think where we would be now. But the market does not operate to bring the best tech to the top, sadly.
    anon(5597702) and BoneMatrix like this.
    02-08-14 11:46 PM
    Loved the thread.

Who needs a good sci-fi series when you can just tap the power of a bunch of imaginative people.
    El Bori likes this.
    03-31-14 04:17 AM
    Just another version of Unix. Try putting FreeBSD on your PC and see how much you enjoy it lol.
    04-01-14 02:57 AM
    qnx is a microkernel design, and there are a few linux based systems that run a similar way, freebsd isnot one of them.GNU.org and l4ka.org are 2 of them
    08-20-15 11:28 AM
    I had a friend who worked at QNX in the era when it supported PCs with several possible windowing systems - the user could choose - that they called POSIX compliant. I had copy at one time but did not use it much.

The most interesting thing he described to me was its networking ability. Because of its microkernel architecture, a PC running a given program could tap into other PCs on the LAN with unused processor cycles, sending them a sub-process and accepting the results back into the master program. The program literally ran on the whole network.

While an individual tablet is probably never going to have much power or memory, relative to PCs, this ability to spawn processes across a network could support some very interesting applications.

It's a great pity that we wound up with MS-DOS and its Windows inheritors. QNX in the 80s was a multitasking, multiuser system that ran on an 8086. If we had started there, think where we would be now. But the market does not operate to bring the best tech to the top, sadly.
    Yeah, what a missed opportunity. Now we're cleaning out viruses and fixing BSODs.... :-D

Edit: all of Microsoft's billions couldn't pay for the annual global loss of productivity caused by the use of their buggy software. Outlook, Office, Windows, etc...

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-15-15 01:38 AM
    I'm long time searching for a full QNX for pc. But with low result...

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 02:02 AM
    you can download qnx to a partition and have it running next to windows
    12-22-16 08:26 PM
    I used the pc version of QNX around 1997...it was impressive! full RT operating system and office/web apps on a floppy!!

Posted via CBX
    03-05-17 11:49 AM
    Well I tried it before too. I regret tossing that floppy now...
    I was only half impressed. Yes, it seemed fully functional and it fit on a floppy.
    On the downside, it was just like any other *NIX system, it wasn't a full desktop system. (Though I am very fluent in *NIX systems and command line). After playing a bit I realized, ok, this is nice, but can I do anything? Like write my thesis on it? It was no (or yes, with great difficulty), so that was that.
    Apps has been the bane of every OS since the dawn of time...
    03-15-17 10:53 PM
    "I run QNX 6.X on my BlackBerry PlayBook." Please provide details on how to do this.
    10-13-17 09:56 AM
    Where are all these QNX people now??? Can't they be hired to do projects here or there? Are they writing any shareware? ANYTHING at all to help QNX still?
    07-07-18 05:24 PM
    Where are all these QNX people now??? Can't they be hired to do projects here or there? Are they writing any shareware? ANYTHING at all to help QNX still?
    Why do you think QNX is dead just because BB10 is?
    07-07-18 06:01 PM
    QNX is running on a toooon of cars and embedded systems! Still doing well and making BlackBerry money. As far as running on PCs, they used to give out a free QNX sample floppy. A whole OS and GUI with networking on a single floppy disk!

QNX is pretty fantastic.

Posted with my BlackBerry Classic via CB10
    07-13-18 11:17 PM
    ToastyTech has downloads and a writeup about the QNX demo floppy over here, since people are asking about it.
    QNX Demo Disk
    07-19-18 08:54 AM
    QNX in car is just embedded on chips is it not? Wasn't BB10- the software version (non embedded version) of QNX?
    07-22-18 02:43 PM
    QNX in car is just embedded on chips is it not? Wasn't BB10- the software version (non embedded version) of QNX?
    Bb10 is an mobile OS using QNX as the base layer. Embedded is a fairly nebulous term. QNX can and is bootstrapped like any other OS.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 07-27-18 at 04:44 PM.
    07-27-18 12:19 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD