What are people opinions on RIM supposedly using a new style OS?

I'm all for it, it seems that OS 4 to OS 6 are all good, but in order to not get left behind, it is a welcome change.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 02:24 PM
    Personally, there's no chance I would buy one if it didn't have an entirely different OS. Who needs a huge Storm that can't fit in your pocket? haha

Pretty excited to see what they do with the Crusher Tank technology too.
    08-26-10 03:36 PM
    Some say it is 'Android" based.... what's up with talk? I'm sure it's bogus, but if the market is shifting that way...????
    08-26-10 04:28 PM
    The Blackpad is not Android based, but rather Linux based OS as opposed to a Blackberry OS which is written in Java.
    08-26-10 06:09 PM
    Some say it is 'Android" based.... what's up with talk? I'm sure it's bogus, but if the market is shifting that way...????
    Hey Matt, take a read here:
    Register or Login to Subscripton Services
    It says Sign up or Log In, but its really an article with a bad header.

It explains their new purchase and whats to come.
    08-26-10 07:02 PM
    I'm sure those comments are intended from a cosmetic perspective, which would seem logical. Maximum customization while retaining some aspects of a legacy navigation.

Just hope they put a decent screen and for once "more than enough" memory (as opposed to just enough)

08-26-10 08:10 PM
    android is linux based as is the new tablet i believe this is where the confusion comes from people who dont know much about copmuters just think its automaticaly the same thing
    08-26-10 08:18 PM
    Im not a fan of QNX. lot of people blame problems with beamers on the software.

if bmw has problems with the software
    and qnx is used to run beamers
    then i can see BB having problems with qnx
    08-26-10 11:48 PM

That's the first bad thing I've heard about it. Guess we will all find out soon enough. They cover it in the last Podcast and it sounds like we will see the BB tablet this holiday season. That being the case we will probably get some glimpses at Dec con in late September.

Kevin did say that he believed too coupd easily run Android Apps on a QNX based OS. If that is the case and there is some sort of emulator or the SDK allows Dev's to easily port stuff over than RIM would just win.

Guess we just wait and see what this new OS brings. We may not see it until 2011 and it may well suck. Who knows.

08-27-10 07:37 AM
    so what kevin had to say in his podcast was very interesting.
    he thinks this whole new os with the qnx will be able to nrun android apps wow!
    if that were true blacberry would get all those apps over night and the flash is in the qnx os to this would be night and day for rim!
    08-28-10 08:24 PM
    I'm in the market for a tablet, so I eat up any tablet news right now but RIM will not be able to deliver a smooth/fast experience if data is still going to be pushed through their servers....

Plus, they still need to do work on BB OS 6 so what makes them so confident about making ANOTHER OS right now?.... That's whats on my mind...
    08-28-10 10:53 PM

How is this any different then what's happening now with BB? lol
    08-29-10 10:34 PM
    bring this new OS on! i honestly see some real exciting things happening with this OS and thats just basing it on what i've read about QNX and off of what others have said about it. If this OS is capable of running android apps, then us future blackpad owners (and anyone thinking of getting the storm4???) are in for a treat . Im honestly hoping it surprises me with features and im hoping because its made by QNX (they do create the software used in tanks after all) that they can throw in a couple extra bells and whistles.

and really, how many beamers do you really hear of breaking down due to software? Thats a legit/honest question too....im no car expert but i haven't heard a lot about BMW's failing due to software....correct me if im wrong
    08-30-10 01:33 AM

Just realized there may be confusion here. QNX doesn't run the cars as I understand it. It is running the navigation and media software in the cars. I may be wrong on that but that is my understanding.

08-30-10 06:25 AM
    Yeah Rello. Kevin started up some sh�t with his prediction.

I can't imagine you'll be able to just run Android apps but it may be very easy to crate an emulator or have developers just port apps from one platform to the other.

08-30-10 06:28 AM
    change the name of the blackpad and keep it in line with the name blackberry and you have a winner :P (im being serious) blackberry blackpad doesn't roll of the tongue so well.

everyone is going on about how great android is with tablets etc. to me that's just an oversized phone wannabe with apps, esp when you have that chrome OS lurking its head. Either way, its needs to be more focused in becoming a productivity tool - hopefully RIM have the answer for this because the ipad may have started this evolution but it certainly hasn't cemented it with the lack of ports for a start!

QNX OS will be interesting and as has been said by RIM it'll be a good way to begin afresh without affecting their main mobile market - testing the waters you could say. In the long term it could be very beneficial for blackberry mobile users.
    08-30-10 07:47 AM
    They need the SDK out ASAP for this to have enough apps at launch to not flop

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-30-10 11:11 AM
    Why the **** did we drop the Cobalt codename?
    08-30-10 12:13 PM
    Cause blackpad rocks!!! (Sarcasm)

08-30-10 12:15 PM
    It won't be black pad. If anyone thinks that it is, place a bet with Kevin. He was pretty vocal on that in the podcast.

08-30-10 12:18 PM
    he was pretty vocal with saying that he thinks it will run android apps wow can you imagine that over night that many apps
    08-30-10 01:23 PM
    he was pretty vocal with saying that he thinks it will run android apps wow can you imagine that over night that many apps
    I highly highly doubt google would give a blackberry device access to the android market. And even then, would those apps be able to run on a blackpad? A lot of variables and too much compitition between the two

08-30-10 01:25 PM
    I highly highly doubt google would give a blackberry device access to the android market. And even then, would those apps be able to run on a blackpad? A lot of variables and too much compitition between the two

Yeah there is no way you would be logging into the Android Market. Buttttt....

If the apps could be loaded up into App world with no changes, or via Mobihand or some other sideload site/method, Devs would be jumping on that. Who wouldn't want their app available to the #1/#2 market share platform in NA, for no real effort!? App World would explode overnight.

As Kevin stated between the millions of flash apps on the web, and the android apps (that might have to be uploaded or ported to BB in some way) they would be laughing at Apple's # of apps.

Not sure I think this will happen, but Kevin is more in the know, so I guess he's getting this from somewhere.

As a Side bar - any guesses as to what that acquisition was he was hinting at? I am thinking Steelthoren Software (makers of Quick Pull!)
    08-30-10 01:50 PM
    ===== QUOTE cplush ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Yeah there is no way you would be logging into the Android Market. Buttttt....

If the apps could be loaded up into App world with no changes, or via Mobihand or some other sideload site/method, Devs would be jumping on that. Who wouldn't want their app available to the #1/#2 market share platform in NA, for no real effort!? App World would explode overnight.

As Kevin stated between the millions of flash apps on the web, and the android apps (that might have to be uploaded or ported to BB in some way) they would be laughing at Apple's # of apps.

Not sure I think this will happen, but Kevin is more in the know, so I guess he's getting this from somewhere.

As a Side bar - any guesses as to what that acquisition was he was hinting at? I am thinking Steelthoren Software (makers of Quick Pull!)
    True....yeah I was mad about that...just flipping tell us!!! LOL

08-30-10 02:11 PM
    could the company the bought have to do with help loading or transfering android apps to app world ? they way he was talking was like it made sense that they had bought them and everyone agreed hey kevin come on man give us a hint please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    08-30-10 03:42 PM
96 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD