"this is not the forum you're looking for..."

"you may continue on your way to the android subforum now..."

touche......quite funny indeed.
    09-29-10 05:25 PM
    Its funny to see now Android exploded and now they rolling out lower end devices. Also there time frames are worse than anyone. Look at the time between Droid 1 & 2 and now you have Droid Pro which is rumored to be same as Droid 2 but with 1.20ghz and world roaming due out by year end end. That's 3 models in 1 year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 05:39 PM
    To an extent, while this may be true... you can't argue the fact that if you want 2.2 on your device and someone in the community has cooked up the ROM for it, you can install it without issue. The same cannot be said for RIM at this time. At least with Apple and Android the user is given the option of ROOT to satisfy their needs. With RIM you're given the option of spending money on another phone. lol
    EXACTLY, it's basically saying "ok, you can have OS6, but it's gonna cost you $200 bucks"

I just don't get why RIM won't listen to their consumers and the people that pay their salaries (you, I, etc.)

I'm not using this example to "shout Android", but within days after 2.2 being released it was found to have a bug in the way that SMS was being displayed, something about the order in which they were recieved and then released a statement that they were already working on a small update to fix it, how many times in the past 2 yrs I was with RIM did they ever release a statement or anything to fix the bugs in every OS they released, don't think I recall a single one that didn't have an issue.

Now before I am corrected, I know that the carrier is the one that ultimately releases it to the masses, but how can you blame them if that's all they're getting from RIM. It's like playing Russian Roulette with RIM's OS, ok this one has the least bugs so we'll release it to quiet the masses.

And now the only option to get 6 is to spend another $200, NOT.
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 09-29-10 at 05:50 PM.
    09-29-10 05:39 PM
    Its funny to see now Android exploded and now they rolling out lower end devices. Also there time frames are worse than anyone. Look at the time between Droid 1 & 2 and now you have Droid Pro which is rumored to be same as Droid 2 but with 1.20ghz and world roaming due out by year end end. That's 3 models in 1 year.

Yeah and if I'm a Droid 2 owner I'd be kinda pissed at that too. But then again
    when buying phones now you should expect for something else to come out
    the very next minute.
    09-29-10 06:26 PM
    Glitchzero, I have friends with the G1 and Eris. I can definitely say the G1 didn't receive 2.1 let alone 2.2 unless you're suggesting by means of a root. I'm pretty sure the Eris only got 2.1. I'm not interested in arguing if BB or Motorolla or HTC or whoever offers up more updates or none. I simply wanted to set the record straight based on what joeltruckerdude said. And for the record, I stated the update options of the phones released in the last year. That was it. The 8520 was released in the spring of 2009 so I didn't include it when I discussed the last year. I did forget the 8530 came out later. I was going by the narrow definition of approximately 12 months. So, the torch, bold 2, pearl 3g, curve 9300/9330, bold 9650 are all seeing updates to 6.0 or in the case of the torch being released with it and the tour, curve 8530 and storm 2 are not. I have heard the cliq, cliq xt and mytouch 3g may never get updated beyond 1.6as well as the samsung behold 2 I think. At any rate, the main point might be that all these companies are guilty of not updating everything you might expect them to.
    I heard the same things about the Cliqs and the MyTouch 3G, however the Cliq reason being a horribly low adoption rate, and it simply not being financially worth it to Motorola to release an update. Samsung is going through the same thing with a couple of their phones.

The MyTouch, no idea.
    09-30-10 10:08 AM
    Eh... I think a year is more like it. Releasing this on the tablet is a great, and safe way to test out the OS without releasing something on your core systems (phones) that could cause more bad press. BB is still 50+ million strong, and you do not want to risk loosing your core enterprise base because you want to rush something to the consumer market. Security is the number one reason companies use BB's over other platforms.
    I agree with you. QNX is very good as its widely used across multiple equipments. But for large enterprises, they need proven stability and security and control, hence Tablet will be good way to test drive the market. RIM may not want to rush in half baked products for the sake of it ( Storm 1 anybody?? , I still use it though).
    As RIM controls hardware and sofware, unlike android, they have opportunity to optimize .
    09-30-10 02:06 PM
    I agree with you. QNX is very good as its widely used across multiple equipments. But for large enterprises, they need proven stability and security and control, hence Tablet will be good way to test drive the market. RIM may not want to rush in half baked products for the sake of it ( Storm 1 anybody?? , I still use it though).
    As RIM controls hardware and sofware, unlike android, they have opportunity to optimize .
    Yeah I agree and disagree. They shouldn't just put it on all phones right now, but why not come out with a single, more consumer oriented phone that runs the OS that is all touch. Make sure to market it as consumer device for the consumer and work out the bugs that way too. No phone is ever going to be bug free. I'd gladly get a device like this that could still have BBM and BIS access and put up with some issues.
    09-30-10 07:02 PM
    wow... Alot of you guys on here dont know **** about technology or business and especially about the two together. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but some of your statements are ridiculous.

Its not about putting the latest hardware in a device, why use it when its not needed.

Also, a few of you were saying how you cant wait for the Storm 3 to have LTE and QNX OS. You got the LTE part right but QNX... i dont think so. Storm 3 will have OS6. QNX will be on the storm 4 code named.... oops i was starting to say too much...

Anyways, mark my words
    09-30-10 08:54 PM
    LOL ok there "Sal". It's already been leaked that Verizon turned down the Storm 2.1 or whatever the h*ll the refresh is getting marketed as due to it literally being the same damn phone as the 9550, so it will not be on Verizon..meaning no LTE..

Nice prediction though.
    10-01-10 10:17 AM
    LOL ok there "Sal". It's already been leaked that Verizon turned down the Storm 2.1 or whatever the h*ll the refresh is getting marketed as due to it literally being the same damn phone as the 9550, so it will not be on Verizon..meaning no LTE..

Nice prediction though.
    Huh? The 9570 was never expected to have LTE. When did Sal predict that? Sal predicted a Next Gen device with 1 ghz Proc, 1gb of RAM, and dif OS (not BB6). So the 9570 is clearly not the Device Sal was talking about.

The Storm 3 (as I guess we can now firmly call it since this Re Fresh business is apparently done) is still out there as far as rumor mill is concerned. VZW had confirmed that they have a LTE device coming from RIM, which will be announced at CTIA in January. I am expecting that to be the device Sal referred to.

I think if the 9570 was ready in August, VZW would have released it. But for October? Just too many other, much better devices, and the gap between 9570 and the LTE Device (9590?) just got to be too small.
    10-01-10 10:45 AM
    Huh? The 9570 was never expected to have LTE. When did Sal predict that? Sal predicted a Next Gen device with 1 ghz Proc, 1gb of RAM, and dif OS (not BB6). So the 9570 is clearly not the Device Sal was talking about.

The Storm 3 (as I guess we can now firmly call it since this Re Fresh business is apparently done) is still out there as far as rumor mill is concerned. VZW had confirmed that they have a LTE device coming from RIM, which will be announced at CTIA in January. I am expecting that to be the device Sal referred to.

I think if the 9570 was ready in August, VZW would have released it. But for October? Just too many other, much better devices, and the gap between 9570 and the LTE Device (9590?) just got to be too small.
    I was referring to Frank making predictions such as;

Also, a few of you were saying how you cant wait for the Storm 3 to have LTE and QNX OS. You got the LTE part right but QNX... i dont think so. Storm 3 will have OS6. QNX will be on the storm 4 code named.... oops i was starting to say too much...
    Seeing as the Storm3 he was talking about was the 9570, we all knew it wouldn't have LTE anyways, and no one expected it to have QNX. And then he says that he knows the codename of the Storm 4 or "Super Storm", which is why I called him "Sal" sarcastically. Don't take everything I say so literally, man.
    10-01-10 11:10 AM

Seeing as the Storm3 he was talking about was the 9570, we all knew it wouldn't have LTE anyways, and no one expected it to have QNX. And then he says that he knows the codename of the Storm 4 or "Super Storm", which is why I called him "Sal" sarcastically. Don't take everything I say so literally, man.
    Got it. You needed to Quote Frank then. I saw that post but just ignored it since it seemed misguided.
    10-01-10 11:13 AM
    If we ever get the QNX, does that mean flash is going to work on BBs? That alone is appealing to many geeks.

10-01-10 04:57 PM
    Eh... I think a year is more like it. Releasing this on the tablet is a great, and safe way to test out the OS without releasing something on your core systems (phones) that could cause more bad press. BB is still 50+ million strong, and you do not want to risk loosing your core enterprise base because you want to rush something to the consumer market. Security is the number one reason companies use BB's over other platforms.
    Agreed. Continuing to innovate and adding more subscribers to the Blackberry system while transitioning to a QNX futuristic platform is a challenging task.

I predict Apple OS X one day will have to change it's platform as well. No platform will ever last forever because they all have it's limitation. There will always be newer and better technology advancement.

DOS transitioned to Windows 3.1, to Windows 97, to Millennium, to XP and now 7 is slowly departing with their customer base. Everyone is migrating to a UNIX like based system while Windows is dying of a very slow death unless Microsoft migrates to a more innovative platform.

WM 6 is soon to be end of life and replaced by Windows Phone 7 is rewritten from scratch with a new platform is a good thing. Microsoft didn't do a good job of migrating to WP 7 though because it took them this long to realize they are in trouble and desperate. I'm glad they got their act together now and hopefully WP 7 will be a success because they are on the right track to make it right this time.
    10-02-10 02:07 AM
    Agreed. Continuing to innovate and adding more subscribers to the Blackberry system while transitioning to a QNX futuristic platform is a challenging task.

I predict Apple OS X one day will have to change it's platform as well. No platform will ever last forever because they all have it's limitation. There will always be newer and better technology advancement.

DOS transitioned to Windows 3.1, to Windows 97, to Millennium, to XP and now 7 is slowly departing with their customer base. Everyone is migrating to a UNIX like based system while Windows is dying of a very slow death unless Microsoft migrates to a more innovative platform.

WM 6 is soon to be end of life and replaced by Windows Phone 7 is rewritten from scratch with a new platform is a good thing. Microsoft didn't do a good job of migrating to WP 7 though because it took them this long to realize they are in trouble and desperate. I'm glad they got their act together now and hopefully WP 7 will be a success because they are on the right track to make it right this time.
    True, all smartphonet companies will have to change change their mobile devices os. Even Android and IOS will have to be changed and overhauled.
    It is all just a matter of time.
    10-02-10 09:37 AM

I agree with all of your points except Windows dying a slow death, and that everyone is moving to a UNIX like based OS. MS will no doubt one day lose share and have to change the OS from the ground up to compete, but they have maintained and still hold a 90 to 91% market share with Windows. Few corporations or individuals are moving away from Windows at any measurable pace from the overall market. It may happen one day, but as of today the numbers say it is not occurring at a rate that can be plotted. People have been talking about the Linux desktop threat for 10+ years, but it has yet to be realized by Linux or any UNIX like variant.

Once UNIX became more open source a lot of variants have come up. That will may drive innovation and real competition. Certainly is has increase the variations of use, such as on a cell phone. Still, it surprises me how many people think UNIX is newer or more cutting edge. It has been around in forms since 1969. It is just now people can contribute to and modify it.
    10-02-10 09:45 AM
    If we ever get the QNX, does that mean flash is going to work on BBs? That alone is appealing to many geeks.

The Playbook will support Flash. Also QNX supports Adobe AiR development.

So that's a yes.

10-02-10 09:58 AM

whoa whoa whoa... who said anything about the 9570??? Pretty sure i said something else. Read my comment again

again, please keep comments to yourself if you have no idea what you're talking about
    10-02-10 12:05 PM
    2 years is far too long for RIM to take for this transition. They have 6-8 months at the most. I would say that if they don't do QNX on handsets that are LTE capable in the initial 2011 release timeframe, they'll keep incurring the same bad reviews and industry direction they're currently getting.
    Agree! Let's hope they do it!
    10-02-10 01:05 PM
    whoa whoa whoa... who said anything about the 9570??? Pretty sure i said something else. Read my comment again

again, please keep comments to yourself if you have no idea what you're talking about
    You talked about the Storm 3, ie. 9570. Maybe you should read what you wrote? And again, the beauty of open forums...

And by the by, I know as much about the Storm 3 as you do, which is apparently jack sh*t.
    10-02-10 04:58 PM
    You talked about the Storm 3, ie. 9570. Maybe you should read what you wrote? And again, the beauty of open forums...

And by the by, I know as much about the Storm 3 as you do, which is apparently jack sh*t.

The Storm 3 is the 9570? Hmmm thats news to me!!
    10-03-10 12:30 AM
    Ouch! Looking liking a fool on a public forum must suck ***. Go take a timeout

10-03-10 12:34 AM
    The Storm 3 is the 9570? Hmmm thats news to me!!
    See? You really don't know anything. Clearly you're just stirring sh*t up for the sake of it, which is ********. Troll hard, Frank. Troll hard.

And thank you jusdis for having my back repeatedly. Sorry the Eskimos are playing so bad this year.
    10-03-10 01:06 AM
    See? You really don't know anything. Clearly you're just stirring sh*t up for the sake of it, which is ********. Troll hard, Frank. Troll hard.

And thank you jusdis for having my back repeatedly. Sorry the Eskimos are playing so bad this year.
    Haha. The only good team in Edmonton anymore is my seven year old daughters soccer team.

So No need to be sorry. I've got at least one winning team lol

10-03-10 01:10 AM
    ugh. the Edmonton-Calgary rivalry is everywhere.

One's the biggest city in the province, the other's the capitol.
    DEAL.
    10-03-10 02:26 AM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD