And this is what they've been doing for the last 2 years and why they are in such a bad position right now. Technology for today, not tomorrow.
    Its like the auto industry in the 70's. American cars typically lasted 4-5 years, then the Japanese introduced their cars which were designed to last 7-8 years and they basically took over the industry for over 2 decades.

I hear the point about QNX running more effeciently thereby affecting the actual processor speed, but it would be nice just once to see Blackberry boasting some specs/capabilities that blow everyone else out the water. I guess we will have to wait for the "PLAYBOOK Vs. (Ipad, Galaxy, Slate) SHOWDOWN!!"
    09-29-10 07:30 AM
    Its like the auto industry in the 70's. American cars typically lasted 4-5 years, then the Japanese introduced their cars which were designed to last 7-8 years and they basically took over the industry for over 2 decades.

I hear the point about QNX running more effeciently thereby affecting the actual processor speed, but it would be nice just once to see Blackberry boasting some specs/capabilities that blow everyone else out the water. I guess we will have to wait for the "PLAYBOOK Vs. (Ipad, Galaxy, Slate) SHOWDOWN!!"
    I dunno about blowing out of the water, but the Playbook so far has the highest proc and memory of any known tablet I believe. So, the iPad has a weaker proc and less memory. Maybe the next one won't, but I don't expect much from the next iPad. The new proc they use in the iPad/iPhone4/iPodTouch is here to stay for a while, so at best we could maybe see 1GB of RAM and possibly a 64GB storage jump, but not much more I don't think. For Apple, there's just no reason to keep throwing hardware at the device. The nice thing about the all these iDevices is that they all run the same OS and they all run each others' apps, so the core hardware doesn't have to be that much different. It's just a different form factor really, nothing else. For the Playbook however, we're still waiting for it to release before anyone even has a chance to write apps for it. What RIM's banking on is that it'll take off with people that will use its native capabilities while waiting on those specifically coded apps for it. With HTML5 and Flash on-board, I don't really see any issues there. It's like having an iPad and Android handset in one, but with better specs from what we've been told. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    09-29-10 09:02 AM
    Oh really?

...and how long did it take Apple for the PowerPC to Intel codebase transition?
    ...how long did it take M$ for the Vista->7 transition?

****, most Android users will wait well beyond that time-frame for official/non-beta 2.2 for their device.

These artificial limits imposed by "up-to-the-minute" techophiles are not realistic in terms of the business transition practices of ALL major tech companies. You keep drinking that Kool Aid
    I'd say your a little confused on the wait time, definitely wasn't a 2 year wait, given your still using a 9530, I don't understand how you know what "android users" will do

Given your defense of MS and Apple transitions, I'd say the waiting doesn't bother you, good thing your not in charge of "technology advancement", lol

Maybe check with RIM, they might be hiring....
    09-29-10 09:08 AM
    I'd say your a little confused on the wait time, definitely wasn't a 2 year wait, given your still using a 9530, I don't understand how you know what "android users" will do
    That's a good question. isn't there some brand new devices where the network/manufacturer confirmed that they will not be upgrading that device to 2.2?
    09-29-10 09:13 AM
    What, like 2 or 3 NEW devices compared to how many DIFFERENT OLD Android devices on 2.2.

If you wanna compare Apples to Oranges, let's talk about how many current/old bb devices are running OS6, oh wait I forgot, you have to BUY a REFRESH for that.
    09-29-10 09:28 AM
    What, like 2 or 3 NEW devices compared to how many DIFFERENT OLD Android devices on 2.2.

If you wanna compare Apples to Oranges, let's talk about how many current/old bb devices are running OS6, oh wait I forgot, you have to BUY a REFRESH for that.
    But all upcoming devices will get OS6, something that Android can't promise.
    09-29-10 10:11 AM
    Oh PLEASE, is that the best you could come up with, Android was updating their OS on a regular basis while RIM/Verizon was "leaking" like a sieve and then they'd fix one thing and break another. I didn't post in this thread to start any kind of Android/RIM war, but if your gonna try and provoke one, at least bring some FACTS to the table instead of speculation.
    09-29-10 10:46 AM
    The quote said they estimate it'll take two years to transisition over all 50 million subscribers to QNX, not release new phones. They'll absolutely have QNX based phones before that but it'll take a long time before they can get every existing BB user over to the QNX based OS.
    JENGA!!!!!! That was my interpretation of that as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 11:10 AM

Woot Woot! This dude Loooves Android!!!

Its ok.... We Al know Android is the best OS out there...

ALL of us love it too.

09-29-10 11:18 AM
    Honestly, I was waiting and drooling for OS6 on my S2 and when that fell through I gave up and switched, but yeah Android OS is pretty awesome.
    09-29-10 11:28 AM
    Gooood for you little buddy you should go checkout one of those android forums

09-29-10 11:36 AM
    WHY, because I used a bb for 2 years and then left for something that works better for me and because of that I'm not entitled to post on this site anymore.

Apparently you didn't get the memo, THIS IS AN OPEN FORUM
    09-29-10 11:45 AM
    WHY, because I used a bb for 2 years and then left for something that works better for me and because of that I'm not entitled to post on this site anymore.

Whoa! Easy tiger. I didn't tell you to leave and never come back...I was simply suggesting that maybe you should check it out. You never know....it might be more productive for you.

09-29-10 11:49 AM
    What's funny is that nowhere in this thread did I state one was better than the other, but when fanbois in this thread have nothing better to retaliate to the facts with, they start bashing those that use other devices and act like 2 yr olds on the playground, GROW UP
    09-29-10 11:51 AM
    Whoa! Easy tiger. I didn't tell you to leave and never come back...I was simply suggesting that maybe you should check it out. You never know....it might be more productive for you.

Actually I do use the other forums, but have been a crackberrian to long to leave. I'm not necessarily pointing you out, but it just gets old that whenever someone with a different device other than bb leaves a post, they get ridiculed, harassed and told to go find the Android forum.

That's the reason for the spark, not at you persay
    09-29-10 11:53 AM
    Besides, regardless of what my device is, I still am holding out faith that RIM will maybe get it together with the phone side of things and when that day comes, I will return to BB, there is some things I do miss with my Storm.
    09-29-10 11:56 AM
    Plenty of android devices released in the last year never got updated past 1.6. The cliq, mytouch 3g, and the cliq xt are three I can think of right away. I believe samsung had one or two that also were never updated. The only BB phones released in the last year that will not get OS 6 are the tour and the storm 2.
    09-29-10 12:06 PM

Oh PLEASE, is that the best you could come up with, Android was updating their OS on a regular basis while RIM/Verizon was "leaking" like a sieve and then they'd fix one thing and break another.
    What's funny is that nowhere in this thread did I state one was better than the other, but when fanbois in this thread have nothing better to retaliate to the facts with, they start bashing those that use other devices and act like 2 yr olds on the playground, GROW UP
    No..you didn't state one was better than the other..but you did start RIM bashing first and thus derailing the thread. Not that I care, but just pointing this out.
    09-29-10 01:59 PM
    Besides, regardless of what my device is, I still am holding out faith that RIM will maybe get it together with the phone side of things and when that day comes, I will return to BB, there is some things I do miss with my Storm.
    I think there are alot of current Android user's who will come back if and when RIM starts putting out some beasts as far as tech goes. To most users, they could care less about the RIM hardware. They like the keyboards, BBM, and the email aspects of the phone. The best screens and fastest hardware doesn't mean squat to most of the users. But of course that stuff does mean alot to other users, and if RIM can match those specs, I think we'll see a flood of people coming back.
    09-29-10 02:07 PM
    That isn't Androids fault, blame the manufactures. BTW, even the G1 is running Froyo, you just have to root. It is just as painless as installing a leaked BB OS, and actually quicker.Depending on individual manufactures is a weak point of Android though, but the users don't have to let that happen, and they aren't (if you root).
    09-29-10 02:11 PM
    That isn't Androids fault, blame the manufactures. BTW, even the G1 is running Froyo, you just have to root. It is just as painless as installing a leaked BB OS, and actually quicker.Depending on individual manufactures is a weak point of Android though, but the users don't have to let that happen, and they aren't (if you root).
    Whether or not it's Android (google)'s fault, they still cannot promise it.

Also, isn't there at least one Android device that will autobrick if it is rooted?
    09-29-10 02:58 PM
    Plenty of android devices released in the last year never got updated past 1.6. The cliq, mytouch 3g, and the cliq xt are three I can think of right away. I believe samsung had one or two that also were never updated. The only BB phones released in the last year that will not get OS 6 are the tour and the storm 2.
    The 8520/8530, with possibly the fastest refresh in tech history.

Oh wait, that's all except two devices released by RIM last year!

When 3/5 of your device lines all released in the same year don't make the incredibly marginal leap to your new OS, you're doing something wrong. The Droid Eris and the G1 are seeing Android 2.2! Two year old phones getting up to date software.

Whether or not it's Android (google)'s fault, they still cannot promise it.

Also, isn't there at least one Android device that will autobrick if it is rooted?
    No. This isn't the iPhone, there's no interference from anyone. The Droid X had eFuse built in, which ended up meaning absolutely sh*t all, as it has root, custom ROMs, etc. Anything else can be rooted, most of them in a one-click application.

Even if Google can't promise 2.2, it's almost guaranteed that with minimal effort and a very small amount of computer know-how, you can get 2.2 ported for just about any device. Sure, it should be offered if it's been made for your device, but if the carrier withholds it, it's not your fault, and it sure isn't Googles.

RIM can't promise carriers are going to put out OS 6 either. A good example being Telus. We all know how slow they are at releasing OS updates, (a good example being the Storm jumping from 4.7.0.22 to 5.0.0.451? or something) but that was absolutely asinine. How long do you think it's going to take to see BB6?
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 09-29-10 at 04:42 PM.
    09-29-10 04:39 PM

"This is not the forum you're looking for..."

"You may continue on your way to the Android subforum now..."

09-29-10 04:41 PM
    Glitchzero, I have friends with the G1 and Eris. I can definitely say the G1 didn't receive 2.1 let alone 2.2 unless you're suggesting by means of a root. I'm pretty sure the Eris only got 2.1. I'm not interested in arguing if BB or Motorolla or HTC or whoever offers up more updates or none. I simply wanted to set the record straight based on what joeltruckerdude said. And for the record, I stated the update options of the phones released in the last year. That was it. The 8520 was released in the spring of 2009 so I didn't include it when I discussed the last year. I did forget the 8530 came out later. I was going by the narrow definition of approximately 12 months. So, the torch, bold 2, pearl 3g, curve 9300/9330, bold 9650 are all seeing updates to 6.0 or in the case of the torch being released with it and the tour, curve 8530 and storm 2 are not. I have heard the cliq, cliq xt and mytouch 3g may never get updated beyond 1.6as well as the samsung behold 2 I think. At any rate, the main point might be that all these companies are guilty of not updating everything you might expect them to.
    09-29-10 05:07 PM
    Glitchzero, I have friends with the G1 and Eris. I can definitely say the G1 didn't receive 2.1 let alone 2.2 unless you're suggesting by means of a root. I'm pretty sure the Eris only got 2.1. I'm not interested in arguing if BB or Motorolla or HTC or whoever offers up more updates or none. I simply wanted to set the record straight based on what joeltruckerdude said. And for the record, I stated the update options of the phones released in the last year. That was it. The 8520 was released in the spring of 2009 so I didn't include it when I discussed the last year. I did forget the 8530 came out later. I was going by the narrow definition of approximately 12 months. So, the torch, bold 2, pearl 3g, curve 9300/9330, bold 9650 are all seeing updates to 6.0 or in the case of the torch being released with it and the tour, curve 8530 and storm 2 are not. I have heard the cliq, cliq xt and mytouch 3g may never get updated beyond 1.6as well as the samsung behold 2 I think. At any rate, the main point might be that all these companies are guilty of not updating everything you might expect them to.
    To an extent, while this may be true... you can't argue the fact that if you want 2.2 on your device and someone in the community has cooked up the ROM for it, you can install it without issue. The same cannot be said for RIM at this time. At least with Apple and Android the user is given the option of ROOT to satisfy their needs. With RIM you're given the option of spending money on another phone. lol
    09-29-10 05:12 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD