hi there crackberry nation, looking for some help... yesterday i start having problems with wifi on my pb so today i made a backup (just media and settings) and i make a secure wipe, i have os 2.0.1.668 before the wipe, but as u all know 668 its no longer available, so the tablet at start configuration update to 2.0.1.358, everything was working fine (the wifi problem got fix), but when i try to restore the backup file i got an error, that the backup file os its not compatible with the pb os, please update... so i cant restore it, is there a way to fix this??? or at least a way to extract the file from the bbb file??? im only hopping to get the pictures back... thx in advance ...
    08-11-12 08:22 PM
    You can extract the media files using 7-Zip. Google it.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-11-12 08:45 PM
    You can extract the media files using 7-Zip. Google it.
    hi there thx for the reply :P... i already try that, but i only get 2 .tar files, a media.tar and a settings.tar but after that i get an error when i try to extract those...
    08-11-12 08:57 PM
    I have the same problem here. Cannot restore the backup from .668 and cannot open the backup files. The media.tar file is there but it is impossible to open by 7zip. Perhaps it it is encrypted.
    I have lost my pics too
    08-18-12 07:31 AM
    I have the same problem here. Cannot restore the backup from .668 and cannot open the backup files. The media.tar file is there but it is impossible to open by 7zip. Perhaps it it is encrypted.
    I have lost my pics too
    Try Izarc it will open a wide variety of compressed formats including zip and tar.

David
    08-18-12 08:10 AM
    I have tried Izarc, 7zip, peazip but none of them will open the media.tar archive derived from a .668 backup but I can easily open older backups using any software. It looks like the backup protocol is changed after .668 and these files are not accessible. It does not look like a good move by RIM.

It is impossible to restore a .668 backup when you are forced to downgrade and there is no way to extract media from the backup. By the way, my backup file was not encrypted.
    08-18-12 08:30 AM
    I am in the same boat. I really dont want to loose everything. I have documents as well as media that are important to me!
    08-18-12 09:15 PM
    I believe that beta 2.1 will take your backup. Give it a try.
    anon(3641385) and fucsia like this.
    08-18-12 10:38 PM
    Thanks diegonei !
    Problem fixed.

Just upgrade to the last beta for developers and restore the backup from the .668 firmware by Desktop manager.
    Thanks a lot.
    08-19-12 10:11 AM
    Glad it worked!
    08-20-12 06:48 AM
    The backups are encrypted and can only been restored to an OS the same or newer than the one it was taken on. So if you backed up on 668 you will need something that has a higher version than 668 to restore. You will not be able to just unzip/gzip/tar/etc the files as they are encrypted.

Best rule of thumb, back up BEFORE upgrading to the new OS, just in case.
    08-20-12 08:01 AM
    i kinna try a different thing, but i get my pics back without updating to 2.1 (im still waiting for the official release), so i have my 668 backup file and i did a new back up with the 358, after i extract the media.tar file from the old backup, and using 7zip i change the media.tar file from the new update without extracting the new backup file, after that i just restore it with DM using the new backup file, it took a while and i get an error at the end, but when i look at my pb all my pics and all the media was in there ...
    08-20-12 10:28 AM
    i kinna try a different thing, but i get my pics back without updating to 2.1 (im still waiting for the official release), so i have my 668 backup file and i did a new back up with the 358, after i extract the media.tar file from the old backup, and using 7zip i change the media.tar file from the new update without extracting the new backup file, after that i just restore it with DM using the new backup file, it took a while and i get an error at the end, but when i look at my pb all my pics and all the media was in there ...
    Well done!
    08-20-12 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD