After initiating a reboot of my PlayBook (using the menu from the power icon), the device will no longer turn on (the reboot was unsuccessful BTW). Instead on first pressing the power button I get a solid red LED, followed by 3 flashes of red, a pause and then four flashes of red LED followed by another pause; this sequence then repeats. The only way to stop it is to hold power down for 10 seconds or more.

So I've read all the previous posts connected with PlayBook failures and LED sequences, but not only does no-one else describe the sequence I'm seeing, but having tried all the suggested solutions anyway, just in case, I'm still no nearer a resolution. I've repeatedly tried to reinstall the OS, but get to the end and then am told there was an error, I've tried the reset of the battery with the buttons and with the stack charging method and I've tried leaving it to charge for a day.

In desperation, I even contacted Blackberry support in the UK (don't know if this is RIM or outsourced), but got a response which bordered on the absurd, recommending courses of action which required the device to be on, despite my initial contact making it plain the failure to turn on was the problem. I suppose this is why they have a poor reputation for support with some folks.

Hopefully this will draw someone out who has had this experience and not yet shared it, or else I can update this with whatever resolution I find and benefit others.

Cheers,

S
    05-03-12 03:03 PM
    When I call rim the other day, they noted that after the OS update through Desktop Manager, I might see an Error Message but to ignore it. Try leaving it on the charger for 2 or 3 hours to make sure it has some charge. Then try

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

If that does not work, leave on charger (not computer usb) for a few more hours. Unplug. Then Press Power button and make sure it is OFF by going into a closet or dark room and seeing no grayish screen.

Open DM. Attach USB, power on and watch for the UPDATE message. Go through it again.

Good luck
    05-03-12 04:18 PM
    They are getting you to wipe it.
    05-03-12 05:03 PM
    Your device will need to be repaired.
    Get in touch with RIM UK.

Cheers
    05-04-12 02:17 AM
    Yep, hardware fault and an RMA.
    05-04-12 01:11 PM
    Hey, you're not the only one who has this problem. I'm having this kind of problem too. My PlayBook hasn't started and I keep trying to reboot it. The PlayBook just keeps blinking those 4X LED red lights... CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS??? PLZ?
    08-17-12 12:56 PM
    I don't know if this would apply but I too had 2.1.560 of the developer copy installed and one fine day while browsing it just abruptly turned off and then wont start.
    It used to start till the boot interface and then it used to reboot. So thinking that the OS had corrupted I connected it to my system to reinstall the os and though I got the previous 2.0 installed successfully, for some reason my battery wont charge at all ! I used to get the "bolt sign" but no charge and in a couple of days it just came down from 50% to 5% , so now my playbook is with the service center for repair. I miss checking crackberry on it.
    Last edited by cavemen; 08-20-12 at 12:31 PM.
    08-20-12 12:24 PM
    After initiating a reboot of my PlayBook (using the menu from the power icon), the device will no longer turn on (the reboot was unsuccessful BTW). Instead on first pressing the power button I get a solid red LED, followed by 3 flashes of red, a pause and then four flashes of red LED followed by another pause; this sequence then repeats. The only way to stop it is to hold power down for 10 seconds or more.

So I've read all the previous posts connected with PlayBook failures and LED sequences, but not only does no-one else describe the sequence I'm seeing, but having tried all the suggested solutions anyway, just in case, I'm still no nearer a resolution. I've repeatedly tried to reinstall the OS, but get to the end and then am told there was an error, I've tried the reset of the battery with the buttons and with the stack charging method and I've tried leaving it to charge for a day.

In desperation, I even contacted Blackberry support in the UK (don't know if this is RIM or outsourced), but got a response which bordered on the absurd, recommending courses of action which required the device to be on, despite my initial contact making it plain the failure to turn on was the problem. I suppose this is why they have a poor reputation for support with some folks.

Hopefully this will draw someone out who has had this experience and not yet shared it, or else I can update this with whatever resolution I find and benefit others.

Cheers,

S
    This is what we tried for one of my colleagues playbook..
    1:- playbook was off
    2:- plugged the rapid charger to the playbook and the red light turned on
    then unplugged it in 5 sec followed with an seq of led flash
    3:- repeated the sequence of plugging and removing till no led light flashed.
    4:- then charged the playbook for 2 hrs and it came to life..

This was the weirdest test we did but it worked
    08-20-12 12:29 PM

Cheers,

S
    Well I had the exact same issue. It seems to be a corrupt OS. After trying to reload the software using desktop manager numerous times and always getting an error message, I tried one thing that I guess you would think is the wrong thing to do and that was to disconnect the USB cable from the PlayBook when I got the error message and reconnect it and poof it started to boot up. I was then able to go through the setup process and when it asked me to install another update I deferred updating until I finished setup and then installed the update OTA. Lucky maybe but I never gave up!

Z10 STL-100-3 OS 10.3.296 Bell
    Last edited by yamahammer; 08-16-14 at 04:30 PM.
    08-16-14 03:43 PM
    A Playbook that won't start and has 4 LED flashes, is due to the battery charge being so low it can't boot up and initiate it's battery charging process fully.

The steps already mentioned above are correct, for fixing this. The plug-in/unplug repeated times sequence. Plug-in for minute, unplug, plug in for minute, unplug.

You will have to do this many times until the base charge is enough that it will allow the Playbook to at least show the battery picture. Once you have that, you should be able to allow it to continue charging.

My folks' Playbook was fixed in this manner.
    Use a wall charger for this don't rely on USB charge from PC.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 06:54 PM
    Disagree with your assessment Dad2. Read the OP and mine and it is simply not just a beyond low battery but also a corrupt OS. Stack charging is required but that also will not make the PlayBook usable in this case. (3 red flashes followed by 4 red flashes for infinity).

STL-100-3 OS 10. 3.0.1052
    08-25-14 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD