I've been rummaging through the forums the past few days, hoping to find some nugget of wisdom that will fix my issue, but no luck yet...

I have an early version of the PB, with a recessed power button, running 2.0.1.358. The touchscreen has become completely unresponsive; no swiping, tapping, nothing. The battery is fully charged, the device will power on and off (using the physical buttons), and is recognized by DM.

I've tried every option I've stumbled across on the forums. When I do the three-button hard reset and reconnect it to my PC to "Update", one of two things will happen. Either it will allow the download update to load, and tell me "setup is not completed on the device, please disconnect, complete setup, then reconnect", or it will tell me I already have the most updated version of the OS.

cfp hangs in the command prompt after typing in the load command, and I have to reboot. Dingleberry will not let me proceed, either...I'm guessing because Developer Mode is not enabled on the PB.

All the while, the unresponsive screen taunts me; I can see my pretty little PB's home screen staring back at me, and there's nothing I can do to interact with it.

Obviously, the device is out of warranty, so I do not see RIM being of much use. Is there something I am missing? Some way of either updating or reloading the OS that I haven't thought of or found? Any ideas will be appreciated, as I'm at my wits end.
    09-10-12 02:09 PM
    on the basis that a number of people say that RIM are taking their out of warranty pbs for repair, it may be worth calling!
    hardee likes this.
    09-10-12 06:31 PM
    I finally carved out the hour of time I figured I'd need to call RIM... And they will be taking my PB in for repair!

I will update this thread with whatever happens. I'm extremely happy that they are indeed taking my well-out-of-warranty PB in to give it a look. As a longtime BlackBerry user, I feel this move reaffirms my faith in the company. Thanks for not letting me rule out RIM as an option!
    09-14-12 04:45 PM
    Have you received your playbook back from repair yet? Did they charge you for the repair.
    The reason I ask is because my playbook just started doing this aswell, and its about 1 year and 1/2 month old.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    10-13-12 12:25 AM
    So this is weird. Last night I was having problem with the touch screen being erratic (have to touch the screen multiple times to get any response). I did a security wipe, but that made no difference. Then I reloaded the OS using the debrick method, but that didn�t help either. So I thought the playbook was done. When I went to bed I put it on the charging dock overnight. This morning when I got up everything was working fine. The battery was not low last night.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    10-13-12 10:54 AM
    eeyy.........
    m having this same problem.....
    i did everything....includin a security wipe.....
    but nothing works....
    can u help me.....
    02-05-13 12:28 PM
    I have the same issue with one of my playbooks. If you fully power it off and on the playbook is responsive for a bit and then is stops. I have done the security wipe and it did not help. I also let the battery drain fully then recharged and nothing. It is very frustrating
    02-05-13 02:54 PM
    This issue started happening to me since around Christmas. The screen stops working but the OS is still responsive with the hardware buttons.

ive done a a few clean wipes and it seemed to fix the issue but in reality, it didnt. the screen is just intermittent. some days ill just swipe to turn it on and it works.

so i was thinking it may be software related being that I think we got a PB OS update around christmas? just havent been able to narrow down the specifics of why.

But its quite a bummer. I was one of few that bought the playbook on launch day for $500 and is currently the oldest piece of technology I still cling onto and use daily. Sad its times are over for me

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    02-05-13 08:14 PM
    I am in the same boat. I got mine at launch and my issue started around Christmas
    02-06-13 11:58 AM
    I had issues with one of my PlayBooks - touch wasn't working except on occasion if I felt around on the device it would start working. It was like a connectivity issue inside or something. I had to send it in to get fixed. I had contacted support and eliminated it being any kind of software issue. They sent me a different device, which was refurbished I assume.
    02-06-13 03:19 PM
    I have an early version of the PB, with a recessed power button, running 2.0.1.358. The touchscreen has become completely unresponsive; no swiping, tapping, nothing. The battery is fully charged, the device will power on and off (using the physical buttons), and is recognized by DM.
    I finally carved out the hour of time I figured I'd need to call RIM... And they will be taking my PB in for repair!

I will update this thread with whatever happens.
    I'm extremely happy that they are indeed taking my well-out-of-warranty PB in to give it a look. As a longtime BlackBerry user, I feel this move reaffirms my faith in the company. Thanks for not letting me rule out RIM as an option!

RE: Date of post 09-14-2012 Will be sending in unresponsive 1st generation PlayBook to RIM for repair.

I will update this thread with whatever happens.

Todays date 02-06-2013 (2013-02-06)

I would assume by now RIM has had time to repair the unit.

So, what happened with sending in the unit to RIM for repair? You said you'd update the thread with whatever happens.

How much did they charge you?
    Did they issue prepaid RMA label
    What was their diagnosis of the problem?
    What parts did they replace?

02-06-13 11:41 PM
    I also have the 1st generation Playbook .I am also starting to experience the unresponsive screen on some pages. Has anyone figured out a fix for this issue? I had hopes that the latest update would have fixed this. Suggestions please!!!
    02-23-13 02:05 PM
    I think the Op had a totally different issue.

I also have the 1st generation Playbook .I am also starting to experience the unresponsive screen on some pages. Has anyone figured out a fix for this issue? I had hopes that the latest update would have fixed this. Suggestions please!!!
    Re: 1st generation Playbook .I am also starting to experience the unresponsive screen on some pages.

Some "pages"? implies you are having problems while within a web browser.

Clear browser cache
    and or Disable scripting.

And or *factory reset.

(In the past few days OS was updated to 2.0.1526 , that might be related.)

You could also use a different browser. (Maxthon, vs stock)
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 02-25-13 at 03:40 AM.
    cscott44 likes this.
    02-24-13 05:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD