Speaking for myself, my PB has only been 'off' about 5 times in the 8 month's i've owned it and a fair few of those have been for software updates.

I turn off the wifi when not in use and put it into standby.

I charge it every 2 days or so and never get below 20% charge and probably use it for two hours every day ( throughout the day ).
    05-10-13 02:44 AM
    Are you actually powering off your iPad or just putting it into standy. It takes more than a just a few seconds to start the iPad. Modern tablets are designed to be left on as others have stated. Our phones and tablets are always on as us the case with almost everyone I know with the devices. I only have to charge my PlayBook once or twice a week and it is always ready to go when I want it.

Posted via CB10

Yes, I do shut my iPad off all the way and it does come on in less than 15 seconds. I do so in order to preserve my battery. I don't see the need to keep it on all the time since it comes on so quickly. Even if there is no need to turn it off. I can understand having to keep the Playbook on.
    I do keep the Playbook on if I know I will be using it. You do get used to it and it does become second nature to expect the long boot time but that does not make it less ridiculous.
    05-10-13 10:45 PM
    Yes, I do shut my iPad off all the way and it does come on in less than 15 seconds. I do so in order to preserve my battery. I don't see the need to keep it on all the time since it comes on so quickly. Even if there is no need to turn it off. I can understand having to keep the Playbook on.
    I do keep the Playbook on if I know I will be using it. You do get used to it and it does become second nature to expect the long boot time but that does not make it less ridiculous.
    I should ask, why do you turn off the power? Does the PB not have enough battery life to last a day for you? Like all devices, the battery life is dependent on what you do, so do you watch a lot of videos or keep the screen brightness maxed while being in an app or on the internet a whole lot? For the average user the PB battery life lasts a work day with power to spare. For example, I can generally watch an hour of videos and intermittently use apps/internet and still have about 50-20% left at the end of the day (obviously dependent on how much apps/internet that I use).

I am thinking that we are focusing turning off the PB or not, but that is a choice the user decides and is a chosen annoyance. However if it is about your PB not lasting a day, then that could be a different problem.
    05-11-13 02:10 AM
    I think you just need to adjust your habits.
    BlackBerry products have never been quick to boot or restart.
    Turn the wi-fi off or leave on charge.
    When in standby its instant to respond and tbh I find my playbook rarely actually needs a reboot which is major plus imo.
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-11-13 02:32 AM
    I bought the Playbook a month ago because i thought it would be handy to use. Problem is, I never use it because it takes too long to boot. I could just leave it in sleep mode, but by the time I use it the battery is dead.
    +1

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk 2
    05-11-13 07:22 AM
    That's interesting since both my wife's iPad 4 and my iPhone 4s take 30 seconds from power off.

The boot time of the PlayBook is definitely longer, but for me it is a non issue since it is always on. I know that the PlayBook goes though quite a hefty security check during power up which from my understanding is the main reason for this. With BlackBerry 10 I am positive this will change since the Z10 and Q10 phones have a boot time that is just over 1 minute. I'm sure they have found way to optimize the OS in order to accomplish this while not compromising on security. Contrary to what many people think there are some major differences between PB OS 2.1 and BB10 not the least of which is the version of core OS they are based on. The PlayBook is using QNX6 whereas BB10 is based on QNX8. There are other major differences such as the version and implementation and version of Qt being used in each which will also be factors. I'm sure that there will be many more positive changes to come, but if boot time is a concern it will definitely improve with BB10 on the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    BerryClever and Barracuda7772 like this.
    05-11-13 11:12 AM
    I even keep my wifi on and run into no issues with the battery. I don't use bluetooth, so I can't say if that sucks battery life. For me, with wifi and mail app (the window) on and open all day, then I am still at roughly 95% full power at the end of the day if I don't use the PB at all.

If a user can run out of battery when not in use, then chances are there is a problem (hardware or more likely app configuration) then just annoyance over a few minute boot time. There are some apps (many but not all are Android ports) that drain battery faster than others.
    05-11-13 12:17 PM
    That's interesting since both my wife's iPad 4 and my iPhone 4s take 30 seconds from power off.

Posted via CB10
    I have checked the exact time it takes from the moment I press the power-on button on the iPad 4 to the moment the screen is ready to use and it is 15 seconds. I just checked again to make sure I know what I'm talking about. My iPad is 3 weeks old and is not loaded with apps. Maybe that has something to do with such a quick power-on.
    My iPhone 4s is another story. It does take about 30 seconds from the push of the power button to the point of being able to use it.
    05-11-13 12:29 PM
    I love my Playbook for many reasons but.........I find it ridiculous that it takes so long for my Playbook to boot up. You shouldn't have to leave it on all the time in order to use it at will. No other tablet is like that. It's just one more reason why Blackberry falls behind in popularity year after year. If you are used to doing things the hard way, it's no big deal but if you are coming from another system, why would you be willing to put up with such craziness? Maybe if Blackberry would give me a good reason for such nonsense I would see it differently.
    You're chatting bubbles??? All tablets work this way, as do all 'phones and the difference between a tablet, apart from size is that a 'phone has the ability to make calls, apart that their functionality is the same. The extra real estate of the tablets screen give it an extra level of usability, where the phones lack of size gives it more portability.

All of the tablets, iOS and Android that I've seen are left on all the time, just as their phone counterparts, and all take time to boot up if rebooted.

As others have stated here, just keep them on all the time, they'll go into standby when not being used and as a phone, just charge as needed or if left overnight etc
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-12-13 05:56 AM
    I'm not sure if you read the thread but "all other phones and tablets" do not work that way. I have no idea what you mean by the lone statement, "you are chatting bubbles".
    05-12-13 09:29 AM
    We get it, you're not happy. What are YOU going to do about it? Seriously...what can we as a community do to help you with this regard? NOTHING except listen to you complain and repeat details of the "other tablet boot times" over and over. YES it's slow to boot. It's slower than my HP TouchPad even and I hated to wait for it to boot...but it's awesome compared to the PlayBook. We can't fix it as consumers. It's a quirk that, with some adjusted user habits, you can deal with quite well in fact.

I am quite confident that BlackBerry realizes it's a dog with boot times too. No one knows what's going to happen if/when BB 10 comes to the PlayBook but maybe, just maybe, you'll get a nice surprise and then this thread can die a nice peaceful death...

Otherwise sell it or throw it out. Life's too short to get all worked up over BOOT TIMES on a tablet!
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 05-12-13 at 01:08 PM.
    05-12-13 12:33 PM
    We get it, you're not happy. What are YOU going to do about it? Seriously...what can we as a community do to help you with this regard? NOTHING except listen to you complain and repeat details of the "other tablet boot times" over and over. YES it's slow to boot. It's slower than my HP TouchPad even and I hated to wait for it to boot...but it's awesome compared to the PlayBook. We can't fix it as consumers. It's a quirk that, with some adjusted user habits, you can deal with quite well in fact.

I am quite confident that BlackBerry realizes it's a dog with boot times too. No one knows what's going to happen if/when BB 10 comes to the PlayBook but maybe, just maybe, you'll get a nice surprise and then this thread can die a nice peaceful death...

Otherwise sell it or throw it out. Life's too short to get all worked up over BOOT TIMES on a tablet!
    No one is asking for "help" from anyone. Just stating opinions. Someone needs a nap, huh? I'm perfectly fine with a slow boot time on my Playbook. The title of the thread (in case you missed it) is about Playbook needing to have the boot times improved. If you don't like comments about the TOPIC, you might want to try another topic so you don't have a coronary about opinions on the TOPIC of a thread.
    05-12-13 03:53 PM
    No one is asking for "help" from anyone. Just stating opinions. Someone needs a nap, huh? I'm perfectly fine with a slow boot time on my Playbook. The title of the thread (in case you missed it) is about Playbook needing to have the boot times improved. If you don't like comments about the TOPIC, you might want to try another topic so you don't have a coronary about opinions on the TOPIC of a thread.
    Maybe you should rename the thread MY PERSONAL BITCHFEST ABOUT BLACKBERRY BOOT TIMES and then trust us, we would have skipped right over it...I would have. Because all you're doing now is complaining like a little child over something you have NO CONTROL OVER until BlackBerry releases their fabled update. Me need a nap? No son, looks like you do after you go suckle mommy for some num nums. Chop chop...
    05-12-13 04:21 PM
    Lets all think of happy thoughts!
    05-12-13 04:30 PM
    Most tablets do want you to not shut down unless needed... computers are starting to do that too. Windows 8, if I remember correctly, almost hides the shutdown and have their standard option to restart once a week just for the updates.

Your looking at it old school and it takes a bit to get use to with today's devices. It goes against what we were taught years ago.

Also, Wright_PC makes a good point, no other tablet has as much security as BlackBerry either.
    My playbook has not been rebooted for about a month. The charge lasts for about 3 or 4 days. I use it everyday for reading the newspaper and browsing the web. Remove email accounts from the setup and it is amazing how long the battery will last.

Posted via CB10
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-12-13 04:37 PM
    Maybe you should rename the thread MY PERSONAL BITCHFEST ABOUT BLACKBERRY BOOT TIMES and then trust us, we would have skipped right over it...I would have. Because all you're doing now is complaining like a little child over something you have NO CONTROL OVER until BlackBerry releases their fabled update. Me need a nap? No son, looks like you do after you go suckle mommy for some num nums. Chop chop...
    I didn't start the thread, young lady. Someone skipped reading comprehension class last year in the 6th grade?
    05-12-13 05:30 PM
    I didn't start the thread, young lady. Someone skipped reading comprehension class last year in the 6th grade?
    I realized that but you and the OP whine the loudest. It is good to see you back to wearing mens clothing again though...lace wasn't your thing. Oh and you're such a brave little boy to have sent me an attacking PM and then block me so I couldn't reply...boo who. So I'll reply in kind here...

Here's something to pacify you with your boot times...

Somehow your nickname OOFA suits you perfectly: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=O.O.F.A.

Acronym for Object Of a Failed Abortion.
    A very mean yet incredibly amusing phrase to apply to those you hate.
    Pronounced: Oo-Far
    "Look at that kid. He's well an O.O.F.A."
    "God you O.O.F.A Get lost"
    "This really annoying O.O.F.A really p1ssed me off today"
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 05-12-13 at 06:16 PM.
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    05-12-13 05:54 PM
    I realized that but you and the OP whine the loudest. It is good to see you back to wearing mens clothing again though...lace wasn't your thing. Oh and you're such a brave little boy to have sent me an attacking PM and then block me so I couldn't reply...boo who. So I'll reply in kind here...

Here's something to pacify you with your boot times...
    that's low attack someone in a pm and block them as if it actually matters to them what a lowely individual thinks
    chaosdivine likes this.
    05-12-13 06:16 PM
    It is good to see you back to wearing mens clothing again though...lace wasn't your thing.
    You've seen me wearing mens clothing??!! Perish the thought!!

Googling a meaning for my user name, finding beautiful artwork to go along with it, going through all the moves of a stalker ....... Isn't love wonderful? Thank you, big boy..
    05-12-13 06:25 PM
    The happy thoughts aren't working? Unicorns? Rainbows? Puppies? BB10 on the PlayBook? Double rainbows?
    chaosdivine likes this.
    05-12-13 06:48 PM
    The happy thoughts aren't working? Unicorns? Rainbows? Puppies? BB10 on the PlayBook? Double rainbows?
    Good BB 10 on PB news on Tuesday will do it for me
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-12-13 06:58 PM
    Good BB 10 on PB news on Tuesday will do it for me
    I have been saying many different dates would be the "one"... one of these days I will be right, and I hope that day is Tuesday/Wednesday!

Hey wait, did the happy thoughts work? Hippy tactics are useful?? Really?!? Holy crap it worked! You all can call me "the peace keeper" around here. CB, you guys can hire me as a mod if you want. It's a 6 figure salary, right?
    chaosdivine likes this.
    05-12-13 07:08 PM
    I have been saying many different dates would be the "one"... one of these days I will be right, and I hope that day is Tuesday/Wednesday!

Hey wait, did the happy thoughts work? Hippy tactics are useful?? Really?!? Holy crap it worked! You all can call me "the peace keeper" around here. CB, you guys can hire me as a mod if you want. It's a 6 figure salary, right?
    Thank you BerryClever. You did that in a very clever way. I looked up your user name in the "Real Meaning of User Names" handbook that I borrowed from ......... another member.... and it says that BerryClever is a play on very clever. Wadaya know! You live up to your user name. 6 figure salary on it's way.
    05-12-13 07:21 PM
    I strongly disagree with the given opinions to leave my playbook on 24/7.

1.) It is a waste of energy. Only because electricial power is (still) quite cheap there is no reason to waste it. Energy does not come just out of a plug in the wall. Sure if you use your playbook all the day it makes sense. But some people use it maybe 3-4 times a day (like me).

2.) Bad Engineering. If its possible to reduce bootup time you should do it. Give the customer the choice how he uses the tablet and dont force him to use one method. I think QA failed here.

3.) I have to disable/enable flight mode manually to reduce power consumption. Maybe there is an option to enable flight mode automatically after XY Minutes of idle and return if activating the screen again? If not see point 2.

4.) Last but not least other do better.

Don't take me wrong. I like the playbook but the ignorance of RIM bothers me sometimes.
    05-13-13 06:43 AM
    I strongly disagree with the given opinions to leave my playbook on 24/7.

1.) It is a waste of energy. Only because electricial power is (still) quite cheap there is no reason to waste it. Energy does not come just out of a plug in the wall. Sure if you use your playbook all the day it makes sense. But some people use it maybe 3-4 times a day (like me).

2.) Bad Engineering. If its possible to reduce bootup time you should do it. Give the customer the choice how he uses the tablet and dont force him to use one method. I think QA failed here.

3.) I have to disable/enable flight mode manually to reduce power consumption. Maybe there is an option to enable flight mode automatically after XY Minutes of idle and return if activating the screen again? If not see point 2.

4.) Last but not least other do better.

Don't take me wrong. I like the playbook but the ignorance of RIM bothers me sometimes.
    1.) I can understand that you don't want to waste energy, but the PB and technology doesn't use much energy, especially in standby. And if you are using just 3 or 4 times a day then you shouldn't be using much energy (you are probably only down to 90% charge). I can understand no wanting to waste energy though but I guess the threshold of too much "waste" is subjective. Tablets and cellphones are meant to be always on, as well as many computers today (though they tend use different methods).

2.) Could be quite good, if not great engineering. If it is about consumer security then having a 2 minute boot might actually be very good, if not amazing. Also if the engineering was focus on making this tablet better at staying on and not crashing (like great memory usage and management, app confinement), then their primary task as a success and can be argued it has great engineering in that sense only.

3.) Agreed, it would be nice to be able to enable/disable flight mode without going through settings. My Android phone has a widget that I bought (It was bundled with a clock I wanted, though there are free ones) on the front screen to disable/enable it. Maybe someone can create another "Shut Down, Sleep, Restart" app but add "Flight Mode". I know BB use to include that app but took it out for redundancy. Maybe BB could even add it to the shutdown/battery icon if suggested.

4.) Others are also engineered to stay on all day and night too (charge while on). Others are also not as secure and uses completely different OSs, all of which as pros and cons.

Though I agree that BlackBerry (RIM is no more) is great at looking at the big picture and have a lot of troubles with fine details... IMO, boot time is not a functional problem but rather a user chosen annoyance.

Oh, and welcome to CB.
    05-13-13 11:55 AM
50 12