The much anticipated OS 2.0 was a massive letdown, having sexy new calendar and email apps with great functionality that DIDNT work for enterprise users was frankly a huge let down, and an opportunity to get us all onside missed.
    Since the update docs to go opens a doc about 40% of the time, the rest it goes to error and or shuts down, and won't work until PlayBook restarted.

So today is new OS day, surely this will all change

NOPE

Docs to go still useless, first two attempts to open doc from BB bridge failed, and still can't use lovely new apps for calendar etc with enterprise account in BB.

I am due to report on whether my company should adopt this for their sales force, ns we are a global company, full BB users, but I have to say after today, don't bother, have back the test unit and let's go for Apple.

PlayBook update and it's finger in the eye for business users who could use nothing of new apps is the killer blow
    p2times likes this.
    04-17-12 01:08 PM
    I honestly thought this would be a positive post. I personally find pants useful, in fact I never leave home without them. The same goes with the PlayBook actually.
    04-17-12 01:18 PM
    Why cant you use the PIM apps with Enterprise? Works fine if set up correctly (Mobile Fusion/BDS/BES) or even just Activesync if you have it enabled. Also if Docs2Go fails that much for you, have you tried reloading the entire OS through desktop manager?
    04-17-12 01:27 PM
    With Bridge and a Blackberry you already have all the functionality that the new Message centre gives to non-enterprise users is true, but that doesn't mean that RIM is poking Enterprises users in the eye. Your enterprise users had all the functionality they need to be productive from the outset. To me, Enterprise user functionality rather than consumers was the driving force behind the PlayBook from the outset.

As for Docs to Go, I am an Enterprise user and have had absolutely no issues opening any doc on the PlayBook via bridge. Perhaps you should make sure that you have all updates done to bridge and then try again. Same with the Bridge Calendar. It works, just like it always has.

If this is all it takes for you to recommend that your company not go with PlayBooks, then you had made your mind up before you even looked into it.

And as for today being "new OS day", uh, no, this was a maintenance update. If it was supposed to be a radical new OS then there would have been PR up to today advising of that. Otherwise, its just a regular maintenance update like every other piece of software or App.
    04-17-12 01:33 PM
    And how does an apple product work with your enterprise without sacrificing security? Oh yeah... it doesn't.

Just curious... do you have mobile fusion in your environment?
    04-17-12 01:35 PM
    Most people have a MUCH higher success rate with Docs2Go - it's unfortunate that your "company" put this decision in YOUR hands to decide which device is better for whatever it is you do. Putting the wrong people in charge of things like this happens all the time, but I hope your company is happy with whatever decision they make. Cheers!
    04-17-12 01:41 PM
    With Bridge and a Blackberry you already have all the functionality that the new Message centre gives to non-enterprise users is true, but that doesn't mean that RIM is poking Enterprises users in the eye. Your enterprise users had all the functionality they need to be productive from the outset. To me, Enterprise user functionality rather than consumers was the driving force behind the PlayBook from the outset.

As for Docs to Go, I am an Enterprise user and have had absolutely no issues opening any doc on the PlayBook via bridge. Perhaps you should make sure that you have all updates done to bridge and then try again. Same with the Bridge Calendar. It works, just like it always has.

If this is all it takes for you to recommend that your company not go with PlayBooks, then you had made your mind up before you even looked into it.

And as for today being "new OS day", uh, no, this was a maintenance update. If it was supposed to be a radical new OS then there would have been PR up to today advising of that. Otherwise, its just a regular maintenance update like every other piece of software or App.
    You couldn't be farther from the truth.

I'm a huge BB fan, have championed the PlayBook since first announced, and got a test unit to try and convince company to go with it.

Functionality of bridge apps does not bare any resemblance to embedded apps on PlayBook, and we don't all have the being able to instruct our global it team to adopt activesync or whatever else just to make my PlayBook work.

Security.

If the bridge can offer secure use, then why can't it do same for new apps, I love the look of the new calendar, contacts etc, but it's pointless for enterprise, unless you are able to use work around, which as I have said, for a tightly controlled IT environment like mine is a non option.

So,

I love the idea, but the reality is falling short. And I will remain a very happy BB user for years to come
    04-17-12 01:48 PM
    Most people have a MUCH higher success rate with Docs2Go - it's unfortunate that your "company" put this decision in YOUR hands to decide which device is better for whatever it is you do. Putting the wrong people in charge of things like this happens all the time, but I hope your company is happy with whatever decision they make. Cheers!
    Don't presume to make comments on my integrity as a decision maker, nor my companies choice of owner of decision on this matter, my company had Zero interest in this product, I have on my own championed the PlayBook, but it is not delivering as promised, and progress is very slow.

Hence my frustration
    dynot, sagec and yanicmb like this.
    04-17-12 01:52 PM
    . . . how much help "OUTSIDE" of your expertise have you sought? If you're global, and adoption for a global sales team is an option - I'm imagining a budget exists, or could exist, for custom app creation to meet ALL your needs and then some - get creative - I'm in sales - sell the idea! Sell something !!

Hope the link is done correctly - YouTube of Sun Financial
    Last edited by DocDRM; 04-17-12 at 01:59 PM. Reason: speeling eror
    04-17-12 01:58 PM
    You couldn't be farther from the truth.

I'm a huge BB fan, have championed the PlayBook since first announced, and got a test unit to try and convince company to go with it.

Functionality of bridge apps does not bare any resemblance to embedded apps on PlayBook, and we don't all have the being able to instruct our global it team to adopt activesync or whatever else just to make my PlayBook work.

Security.

If the bridge can offer secure use, then why can't it do same for new apps, I love the look of the new calendar, contacts etc, but it's pointless for enterprise, unless you are able to use work around, which as I have said, for a tightly controlled IT environment like mine is a non option.

So,

I love the idea, but the reality is falling short. And I will remain a very happy BB user for years to come
    Actually, I am spot on. I go to Bridge on my PB, I open the email with the attachment, I tap the attachment and it opens on Docs to Go, I edit with docs to go. Simple. I go to Bridge on my PB, I open the calendar app, it opens my calendar, I my view, edit and create calendar entries. What more do you need to do.

Yes, the non-bridge calendar app has some good functionality in that it tells you who has a plyabook and gives you their linkedin/facebook profile, and that could be handy for enterprise, but that wasn't your beef as you stated it.

I also didn't make any reference to Activesync or whatever else and don't use it. My Playbook is paired with my blackberry, which has enterprise access, and it becomes the extension of my Blackberry that allows me to more conveniently read, edit and create.
    04-17-12 04:39 PM
    All I can say is I have no problems with any of the above. My company do not support the playbook but I am able to use it as a mobile device and download my email and sync my calenders etc with no problems. If fact it does everything I need but I really could do with 3G so it'll work away from a wireless connection. So next purchase will be a 3G playbook and I'm a happy bunny. Not sure what is causing your problems but I don't have any of the issues you describe at all.
    04-17-12 05:54 PM
    And how does an apple product work with your enterprise without sacrificing security? Oh yeah... it doesn't.
    Seriously, what does "Apple products" have to do with the original post.

Most people have a MUCH higher success rate with Docs2Go - it's unfortunate that your "company" put this decision in YOUR blah, blah YOU, blah YOUR blah
    Really? What is up with these false equivalencies? Blaming the messenger, seem to be a past-time lately. Look people, the OP has an issue, irrespective of how it is phrased. If you have empathy, show some love. If you have solution, offer some help. If you have neither, just move on to the next post and if the post gets no replies it disappears. But stop with the passive-aggressiveness if someone else does not have the same opinion as you about the PlayBook. We are not, nor ever will be a monolith. Posters might have a higher threshold in using the PlayBook or could use some information to get over the hump. Geesh! You would think someone shot your dad.

I bet in public, most of you would think twice before you spew the immature nonsense.
    04-17-12 08:27 PM
    Seriously, what does "Apple products" have to do with the original post.
    Please go back and read the ops post (hint, the second last paragraph is important).
    04-17-12 08:44 PM
    The PlayBook satisfies my needs......I LIKE the PLAYBOOK.....as the saying goes....buy what makes you HAPPY....not a difficult concept
    04-17-12 08:54 PM
    How are you planning to use the iPad for Enterprise email if you don't have ActiveSync?

Security. Apple?
    vic1928 likes this.
    04-17-12 09:01 PM
    . . . how much help "OUTSIDE" of your expertise have you sought? If you're global, and adoption for a global sales team is an option - I'm imagining a budget exists, or could exist, for custom app creation to meet ALL your needs and then some - get creative - I'm in sales - sell the idea! Sell something !!

Hope the link is done correctly - YouTube of Sun Financial
    Why would any company want to design a custom app (i.e., spend money) to do things for which there are already apps on other platforms and for which RIM claims to be the market leader? The current environment is about spending less, not spending more, to get jobs done. There are also a lot of company's that are willing to give up the highest level of security in favor of other platforms that may not be as secure but still have comparable certifications. Whether people like it or not, it is life, and one of the reasons RIM is struggling. This person, however, has not said they are ditching RIM, just that the Playbook is a non-starter because it is (ironically) not sufficiently enterprise friendly for his employer....
    04-17-12 09:09 PM
    This person, however, has not said they are ditching RIM, just that the Playbook is a non-starter because it is (ironically) not sufficiently enterprise friendly for his employer....
    But the OP is ready to throw up is hands in defeat and embrace Apple, which will have the same email limitation, worse actually with no Bridge.

Further speculation is moot until we understand how the OP is going to get around the problem with Apple and his same infrastructure. Most people "in charge" of these types of decisions would actually compare products, not choose an untested one because of some dislikes with the one they did try...
    04-17-12 09:32 PM
    But the OP is ready to throw up is hands in defeat and embrace Apple, which will have the same email limitation, worse actually with no Bridge.
    Ummm, you DO realize that iOS is considered one of the most secure and capable Enterprise Exchange platforms available, and that as of Jan 2012, OVER 90% of Fortune 500 companies deploy iOS devices (iPhone and iPad).

And do you ALSO realize that Haliburton, the LARGEST MULTINATIONAL SECURITY FIRM ON EARTH deployed iOS as their exclusive mobile platform, dumping BlackBerry as a vendor TWO YEARS AGO?

Lastly, has it dawned on you that RIM is losing the corporate mobile email market so badly that they've lost over 80% of not only their marketshare, but also 80% of their monetary value in the past year?

If 92% of corporate America plus the US Government are okay with iOS, I'm SURE his company will have NO trouble.

Jesus Christ, it's like some of you fanboys live under a rock and never leave crackberry to read ANY other news.
    yanicmb and dynot like this.
    04-17-12 10:40 PM
    Ummm, you DO realize that iOS is considered one of the most secure and capable Enterprise Exchange platforms available, and that as of Jan 2012, OVER 90% of Fortune 500 companies deploy iOS devices (iPhone and iPad).
    Since you've filled me in with all of this important iOS information, please also explain how the OP is going to get email to these amazing iOS devices if they don't have ExchangeActiveSync set up in their environment. You DO realize that the thing they need to make the PB native PIM apps work for his enterprise, is THE EXACT SAME THING that they NEED to make iOS PIM apps work for his enterprise.

I'll be waiting for your answer.

Obviously this isn't about the technology, but defending one's choice of technology...
    barnyr and joski like this.
    04-17-12 10:52 PM
    Your blasphemous post annoys me.

Also don't like seeing Halliburton Halliburton Watch) referenced in the same post as a reputable company like RIM.

PS: 90% of stats people claim as fact is nothing more than contrived bs.
    04-18-12 02:14 AM
    Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM Apple, RIM has an uncertain future and the Playbook might not exist as a product in a few months why would you recommend it for your business?
    04-18-12 04:58 AM
    The PlayBook is face. I'm finding mine useful.
    joski likes this.
    04-18-12 06:01 AM
    Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM Apple, RIM has an uncertain future and the Playbook might not exist as a product in a few months why would you recommend it for your business?

Playbook will still exist just fine if RIM goes under, it can operate independent of RIM's infrastructure. Look at all the people that bought the touchpad when HP discontinued it. As a business product it works well with Exchange if Activesync is open.

Also RIM is much more than a few months from being bankrupt. Even if they have tremendously awful quarters with huge loses, they still have quite a bit in cash handy and would take some time to burn through that. RIM will launch BB10, and depending on how the platform does, depends on when/if RIM has to shut down.
    04-18-12 06:22 AM
    Although perhaps the title of the OP's post might not reflect the corporate nature of his problem and has hence made a few 'die on the bridge' boys throw their cardigans in the air I do feel his pain somewhat.

I also manage our internal BB phones and tablets. I also championed the Playbook on release but the two of us in our office who have one are uninspired by it. Yeah it does stuff 'kind of' but what RIM needed was this scenario:

Man at business lunch sees other man with tablet..... "hey how do you find the Playbook?"

The answer should be the same as we used to say about our handsets: "I can't imagine how I ever lived without it. I pretty much run my day on it. What I love most is that it simply works leaving me to concentrate on getting stuff done. What's even more impressive is that when I leave work I can keep in touch with the kids on business trips and even stream my music from Spotify and play scrabble with them. In the car I slap it in a cradle and it navigates me with turn by turn navigation. I can choose from a wealth of providers for that in App world. I've ditched all my other devices, sold my i-pod, my Tom Tom and it's me and my BB handset/tablet combo travelling carry on all the way for me!! Check in at Heathrow has never been easier".......

The answer is: "hmmm, well it's a great concept but it doesn't really inspire confidence and I also have to travel with loads of other devices if I want to do what I want outside work and.......etc,etc

Therein lies RIM's challenge. Make me and the original OP, as the guys making the choices, stand up and declare with confidence "you can not live without this device as a businessman". We used to do it with our handsets......(whole other thread there too....)
    yanicmb and Spencerdl like this.
    04-18-12 07:05 AM

And do you ALSO realize that Haliburton, the LARGEST MULTINATIONAL SECURITY FIRM ON EARTH deployed iOS as their exclusive mobile platform, dumping BlackBerry as a vendor TWO YEARS AGO?

Lastly, has it dawned on you that RIM is losing the corporate mobile email market so badly that they've lost over 80% of not only their marketshare, but also 80% of their monetary value in the past year?

If 92% of corporate America plus the US Government are okay with iOS, I'm SURE his company will have NO trouble.

Jesus Christ, it's like some of you fanboys live under a rock and never leave crackberry to read ANY other news.
    Patently and completely false. A reason trend micro study shows it is not even CLOSE in security to BlackBerry. A fully patched and updated iPhone/iPad can be hacked in less than 6 minutes using commercially available tools. The Department of Defense does not approve iOS use either, and only does so for testing purposes (not official deployment) when it is layered with GOOD mobile security and locked down further. The C-level execs want the device that is why it is there, NOT because of security. Next time try using facts in your argument, it will make it far more persuasive.
    04-18-12 07:13 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD