hey everyone,
    I keep reading that PlayBook OS 2.1 officially and fully supports imap folders. Was that actually released by RIM as part of the OS upgrade description?

I've been trying to setup my gmail as an imap account and all I get is Inbox, Drafts, sent, trash and outbox. Non of my sub folders/lables shows up.. and theyre configured in my gmail to show up in Imap folders list.

Thanks
    12-19-12 05:43 PM
    You have to go to each folder in turn on the playbook and click on them so they show two half circles, then they'll sync from then on. This is a one time activity to get the folders to start syncing. You may find it'll take a day or two to fully sync. Let it sync for a few hours or a day, reboot, let it sync again and maybe another reboot in a day. Once it settles down it works well. Who knows with todays updates maybe its better at the startup sync. I posted some pictures in a previous thread, and the folder sync is described in the 2.1 manual in my signature.
    12-19-12 06:39 PM
    You have to go to each folder in turn on the playbook and click on them so they show two half circles, then they'll sync from then on. This is a one time activity to get the folders to start syncing. You may find it'll take a day or two to fully sync. Let it sync for a few hours or a day, reboot, let it sync again and maybe another reboot in a day. Once it settles down it works well. Who knows with todays updates maybe its better at the startup sync. I posted some pictures in a previous thread, and the folder sync is described in the 2.1 manual in my signature.
    But see that may be the issue.. I am not seeing any folders to click. When I go to the folders view, I only see the primary folders. see attached screen capture.

If I go with the ActiveSync setup, everything shows up fine and folders with messages will sync when I click on them. not the case for imap.
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook OS 2.1 - official imap support. Confirmation?-img_00000004.jpg  
    12-19-12 09:28 PM
    Thanks dj. I sincerely hope that BB10 is better than this.
    12-20-12 07:21 PM
    When you added the Gmail account on the playbook did you add using advanced settings>Gmail rather than the simple add?

I also thought there was a setting somewhere on the Google settings side to enable syncing of all folders rather than just the standard ones but I can't find that setting now.
    12-20-12 08:16 PM
    Yep.. I go into Add New Account --> Email, calendar and contacts --> click Advanced Setup button --> IMAP (Add an IMAP email account).

In gmail, if you go to the Gear icon and click on Settings --> Click on "Labels". It'll show you all the Labes with boxes to check for Show in Imap. I have them all set to Show as well as Show In IMAP.
    12-20-12 08:27 PM
    Wait a minute, this is a gmail account you are trying to access using IMAP right?

On the playbook Add New Account --> Email, calendar and contacts --> click Advanced Setup button --> gmail and then put in server as imap.gmail.com and all your other credentials which the Gmail side will show you.
    On gmail side that should be set to imap and folders checked as you seem to have done.
    12-20-12 08:42 PM
    Wait a minute, this is a gmail account you are trying to access using IMAP right?

On the playbook Add New Account --> Email, calendar and contacts --> click Advanced Setup button --> gmail and then put in server as imap.gmail.com and all your other credentials which the Gmail side will show you.
    On gmail side that should be set to imap and folders checked as you seem to have done.
    Thats exactly what I've done on my PB and gmail . No go. None of the Lables I created in gmail show up on the Playbook.
    12-20-12 09:50 PM
    Thats exactly what I've done on my PB and gmail . No go. None of the Lables I created in gmail show up on the Playbook.
    In your message previous to mine you said you used "Add New Account --> Email, calendar and contacts --> click Advanced Setup button --> IMAP"

I said "Add New Account --> Email, calendar and contacts --> click Advanced Setup button --> gmail"

Are you sure you used the gmailoption?
    12-21-12 02:53 AM
    In your message previous to mine you said you used "Add New Account --> Email, calendar and contacts --> click Advanced Setup button --> IMAP"

I said "Add New Account --> Email, calendar and contacts --> click Advanced Setup button --> gmail"

Are you sure you used the gmailoption?
    If I use the "Gmail" option, wouldnt that use ActiveSync?
    12-21-12 08:07 AM
    If I use the "Gmail" option, wouldnt that use ActiveSync?
    No, it uses imap, in the details of advanced for the Gmail choice you put all the imap server settings. It has the special gmail choice so that it can recognise gmail labels as folders.
    12-21-12 08:24 AM
    No, it uses imap, in the details of advanced for the Gmail choice you put all the imap server settings. It has the special gmail choice so that it can recognise gmail labels as folders.
    ok sounds great. i will try it when I get home and get back to you.

Cheers and thanks for the help.
    12-21-12 08:26 AM
    No go. results are the same using manual imap configuration. this just populates certain fields for you like server names and ports. No Lables.
    12-21-12 03:23 PM
    You could always try what I did, which was NOT to use advanced setup during setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook OS 2.1 - official imap support. Confirmation?-img_00000178.jpg  
    12-21-12 08:06 PM
    Have you set gmail to allow for imap? I know you allowed your labels but did you allow gmail itself? Settings-forwarding and pop/imap tab. This is done through the browser of your computer or PB.

I can't seem to upload a screen shot of it, sorry.

edit: I guess I could, and did... oops
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook OS 2.1 - official imap support. Confirmation?-google-settings.jpg  
    12-21-12 09:20 PM
    You could always try what I did, which was NOT to use advanced setup during setup.
    is your gmail working as IMAP? when you go to Accounts and click on Gmail, what does it show for Server?
    and if it is IMAP thats setup for you and your IMAP folders are working, then what are the steps you followed to get it working?
    12-21-12 09:59 PM
    Have you set gmail to allow for imap? I know you allowed your labels but did you allow gmail itself? Settings-forwarding and pop/imap tab. This is done through the browser of your computer or PB.

I can't seem to upload a screen shot of it, sorry.

edit: I guess I could, and did... oops
    Here's a screen capture of what my IMAP settings on my web gmail look like:
    Playbook OS 2.1 - official imap support. Confirmation?-gmail-imap.jpg
    12-21-12 10:02 PM
    Here's a screen capture of what my IMAP settings on my web gmail look like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gmail imap.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	129176
    That is the same thing I have. I don't know what is going on, sorry.

Maybe try the server address as m.google.com and use port 443 rather than 993. Make sure you have SSL on.
    12-22-12 02:16 AM
    is your gmail working as IMAP? when you go to Accounts and click on Gmail, what does it show for Server?
    and if it is IMAP thats setup for you and your IMAP folders are working, then what are the steps you followed to get it working?
    Myserver address is m.google.com, port 443. Messages sees all my folders and any messages in them (less than 30 days old). Basically, I don't use my gmail account- I only have one because google gave me one when they changed their policy and wouldn't let me access my youtube account with my yahoo address- they gave me a gmail account with the same user name as my yahoo account and made me log into youtube using this account. When I set up my gmail account, as I said, I didn't go into advanced setup- I simply put in my email address and my password and Messages set it up automatically. After it had set up, all of my folders appeared in Messages.
    12-22-12 02:47 AM
    No go. results are the same using manual imap configuration. this just populates certain fields for you like server names and ports. No Lables.
    Yes it populates some fields and you fill in your email address and password etc. You don't see anything about labels on the playbook setup.

Anyway as an experiment I deleted my gmail account and added it again, and now I have the same problem as you, no folders
    I then deleted again and adding in the simplest setting and letting it add calendar and contacts all in one go, and same problem.
    12-22-12 06:09 AM
    That is the same thing I have. I don't know what is going on, sorry.

Maybe try the server address as m.google.com and use port 443 rather than 993. Make sure you have SSL on.
    Thanks. I've tried m.google.com with imap and of course it wont work. SSL is ON.
    12-22-12 10:13 AM
    Myserver address is m.google.com, port 443. Messages sees all my folders and any messages in them (less than 30 days old). Basically, I don't use my gmail account- I only have one because google gave me one when they changed their policy and wouldn't let me access my youtube account with my yahoo address- they gave me a gmail account with the same user name as my yahoo account and made me log into youtube using this account. When I set up my gmail account, as I said, I didn't go into advanced setup- I simply put in my email address and my password and Messages set it up automatically. After it had set up, all of my folders appeared in Messages.
    Correct. what you're using is ActiveSync I believe. Which works fine for me and all the Lables I have in my gmail show up.
    12-22-12 10:14 AM
    Yes it populates some fields and you fill in your email address and password etc. You don't see anything about labels on the playbook setup.

Anyway as an experiment I deleted my gmail account and added it again, and now I have the same problem as you, no folders
    I then deleted again and adding in the simplest setting and letting it add calendar and contacts all in one go, and same problem.
    Thanks for testing it on your PB. This must be an issue with the PB os for now. Hopefully RIM will fix it in BB10 and setup full IMAP support.
    12-22-12 10:15 AM
    Same issue here. I can't see my own lables in gmail.

Yahoo's folders are shown just fine so the problem is with google's IMAP.

And by the way, when's BB10 coming to the Playbook? I know the release date is end of January but when will we be able to play around with it?
    12-27-12 07:30 AM
    I am having a different problem than most on this thread. My IMAP folders sync properly on my playbook but my IMAP folders show up as a subfolder to the Inbox. I have added INBOX to the IMAP Path Prefix and they still appear as subfolders to the Inbox. I also tried Inbox. INBOX. what is the correct IMAP Path Prefix to correct this problem? When I added Inbox on MS Outlook on my computer it fixed the problem and made the folders subfolders to the account name (Mailbox).

Any suggestions?
    08-06-13 09:49 AM
26 12