So eventually or supposedly the playbook will be running on the os 10. Do you think RIM should release a beta version for us to get our hands on?

Your thoughts and comments.
    11-18-12 08:08 AM
    why, they have useing it on the the dev handsets for awhile now, its the same just release why delay longer
    11-18-12 08:17 AM
    So eventually or supposedly the playbook will be running on the os 10. Do you think RIM should release a beta version for us to get our hands on?
    There have been several other threads on exactly this topic.

The summary is: there WILL be a beta of BB10 for the PlayBook prior to it being launched for the PlayBook, it WILL NOT be available until after the launch of BB10 on the phones, and it WILL be a public beta.
    kbz1960, pkcable and PowderJockey like this.
    11-18-12 08:45 AM
    I remember someone got an old dev alpha bb10 version working on the pb, why cant anybody do that with a newer version?
    11-18-12 12:44 PM
    I remember someone got an old dev alpha bb10 version working on the pb, why cant anybody do that with a newer version?
    They can, and I believe have. With the limited results one should expect, given that it's not designed for the PB yet. I think little actually works except BBM, so it's considered a bit of a curiosity but not much more.
    11-18-12 05:53 PM
    why, they have useing it on the the dev handsets for awhile now, its the same just release why delay longer
    Because BB10 isn't finished, and they're working on finishing that for the phones before they backport it to the PlayBook.
    There have been several other threads on exactly this topic.

The summary is: there WILL be a beta of BB10 for the PlayBook prior to it being launched for the PlayBook, it WILL NOT be available until after the launch of BB10 on the phones, and it WILL be a public beta.
    That's what I've heard too
    You can, it just sucks. The BB10 UI doesn't work on the PlayBook, and few apps do either. Plus, you lose a lot of functionality that the PlayBook has (like email and Bridge) that the Dev Alpha doesn't have yet.
    They can, and I believe have. With the limited results one should expect, given that it's not designed for the PB yet. I think little actually works except BBM, so it's considered a bit of a curiosity but not much more.
    If even that lol.
    11-18-12 07:43 PM
    Thanks, it would be great to see that on video!

Sent from my BOLD or maybe my soon to be BB10 PlayBook
    11-18-12 09:42 PM
    You can, it just sucks. The BB10 UI doesn't work on the PlayBook, and few apps do either. Plus, you lose a lot of functionality that the PlayBook has (like email and Bridge) that the Dev Alpha doesn't have yet.

Ya I get it, when I say try to get it to work I did not mean to use that version on their pb, just to see how it worked and what it would look like, not to use permanently.
    11-18-12 10:01 PM
    Ya I get it, when I say try to get it to work I did not mean to use that version on their pb, just to see how it worked and what it would look like, not to use permanently.
    Bobert_123, the point is really that since BB10 has nothing in it which is actually designed to look correct on the PlayBook, "what it would look like" is basically a**. The fonts should be oversized, the dimensions of all the widgets improper for the size and aspect ratio of the display, animations are probably sluggish, and I wouldn't be surprised if numerous random things simply don't even show up, or are otherwise messed up when they do.

This is why some of us have been trying to say for a while now that there is probably NO point in RIM releasing a beta for BB10 on the PlayBook before launch of the phones, if they have put no effort into making it work properly. As developers, we probably couldn't even use it effectively as a basis for development... we'd be better off using the Dev Alpha in landscape mode, with our window dimensions cut down to 1024x600 (and even that would be a poor substitute for the real thing, since once again the sizes of everything would be wrong).
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    11-19-12 08:51 AM
    I like to think that RIM has a few tricks up it's sleeve that they're saving for the launch, so, why would they release a beta with the unannounced features cut out for it just to be slated by everyone?
    11-20-12 05:24 PM
    I like to think that RIM has a few tricks up it's sleeve that they're saving for the launch, so, why would they release a beta with the unannounced features cut out for it just to be slated by everyone?
    I think your right about having a few tricks up their sleeves, but I can see them releasing a bare-bones beta. Ideally they will have 3 "levels". They will release a beta with peak and the UI enhancements, but they will announce some of the extras that are not in the beta and then when the official comes out there will be a few [good] surprises with it. Even if they don't do it in 3, releasing the beta should up the hype for BB10 as well as fix any bugs that maybe seen in it. As long as they talk about features not included with the beta then releasing it bare-bones shouldn't hurt them.... in my opinion.
    11-20-12 09:21 PM
    I think your right about having a few tricks up their sleeves, but I can see them releasing a bare-bones beta. Ideally they will have 3 "levels". They will release a beta with peak and the UI enhancements, but they will announce some of the extras that are not in the beta and then when the official comes out there will be a few [good] surprises with it. Even if they don't do it in 3, releasing the beta should up the hype for BB10 as well as fix any bugs that maybe seen in it. As long as they talk about features not included with the beta then releasing it bare-bones shouldn't hurt them.... in my opinion.
    It would have to be fairly complete to create any hype though. Imagine them releasing something as incomplete as os1 to try and drum up a buzz? I do like the idea of it coming in separate parts though for the beta, but anything short of perfect is going to be bad from a press point of view. RIM are doing ok in the press at the moment, they seem to be on the right track, but I just think releasing something incomplete would give the tech bloggers reason to shoot them down. I would much rather it come complete. I'd love for them to demo a fully functional BB10 on a playbook in January and then just drop a beta mid week. That way it won't detract anything from the phone announcement, it will please fans and it will increase the lifespan of the announcement. As a Journalist myself I'd love to write something like that.
    11-22-12 04:32 AM
    Maybe RIM doesn't want what happened to the playbook os 2 beta mass consumer download of unfinished products and bad publicity. My2 cents
    11-29-12 12:29 PM
    When BB10 is done it will be easily brought over to the playbook with a little work. It's coming so don't worry, watch the countdown clock for the goods.
    11-29-12 01:06 PM
    There will be no beta on PlayBook before the phones laumch. Its NOT gonna happen.
    11-30-12 12:00 PM
    Not quite true, word has it there will be a Beta OS 10 for Playbook early this month ( Demember ) I doubt we will have to until after BB10 Handsets are released on Jan 39th, to get a Beta for the PB.
    12-01-12 07:54 AM
    Not gonna happen. Feel free to elaborate about the word on the street though.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-01-12 07:59 AM
    Not quite true, word has it there will be a Beta OS 10 for Playbook early this month ( Demember ) I doubt we will have to until after BB10 Handsets are released on Jan 39th, to get a Beta for the PB.
    Very difficult to believe.. Why would RIM send out their flagship OS to PlayBook even before they have released it officially.. Unless it is a half featured version like the one which the Dev Alpha was running (which we can guess is being internally tested cause it did pop up in html5test page..)
    But I would be very surprised if this speculation comes true..

Oh and it is January 30th.. Pretty sure our standard calendars don't have a 39th in them
    12-01-12 08:10 AM
    It's called a BETA for a reason. I didn't say they were going to give a full blown full BB 10 upgrade. I am sure we will have a Beta for PB before the Jan 30 final release.
    I have some friends in high places, that's all I can say about my word on the street, and if that's not good enough for you, no worries, you need to pine over it Think what you like.
    12-01-12 05:38 PM
    It's called a BETA for a reason. I didn't say they were going to give a full blown full BB 10 upgrade. I am sure we will have a Beta for PB before the Jan 30 final release.
    I have some friends in high places, that's all I can say about my word on the street, and if that's not good enough for you, no worries, you need to pine over it Think what you like.
    Great if it does.. Though I hope they keep appworld access open in it.. And the appworld has a few decent apps too..
    Let's see..
    12-01-12 08:59 PM
    Great if it does.. Though I hope they keep appworld access open in it.. And the appworld has a few decent apps too..
    Let's see..
    Regarding App World, I don't know. I hope so, but who knows how it's going to come out.
    If I hear more info, I will make sure to post
    12-02-12 11:40 AM
    Regarding App World, I don't know. I hope so, but who knows how it's going to come out.
    If I hear more info, I will make sure to post
    While I hope you are right , I still won't believe it until I see it. Just doesn't make sense to me.
    12-02-12 12:16 PM
    While I hope you are right , I still won't believe it until I see it. Just doesn't make sense to me.
    It makes sense to me to have Beta out for PB before the release date. The reason I think so is because
    1. It is the only final hardware that the public has which will support BB10. I suspect that if they do have a beta test it will be an extremely polished beta (with some omissions), but if there is any issues with it they can fix it before the release date. It will also help them find any tweaks they may need to do.

2. I read here in the forums that the Marketing higher up wants to do a grass roots/word of mouth advertising. While I disagree that it is the right way (if used by itself), having PB with beta installed in public will build up the momentum and word of mouth advertising. When people see the PB and ask to look at it, if it has BB10 installed then they more than just words from an average joe/jane saying how BB10 "will be awesome".

3. BB10 will be the main OS across their platforms. Having BB10 beta installed on the PlayBook will allow developers to play with their BB10 apps. From my knowledge, I believe that there is no BB10 alpha tablet devices like there was with phones. They are still in the tablet market, their apps need to be easily used on both platforms. When talking about apps, companies rather put their money in a 2 for 1 app. If that is not possible then everything will go for the BB10 phone and the tablet is left in the cold, causing for further stalling in their tablet user base. Without the user base, it hurts their future 10 in tablet line. Even if they have to do separate apps then releasing a beta early maybe a smart move due to the above mentioned marketing. Companies want a user base after all.

4. They should be making the foundation of BB10 the same on all devices and changing some UI here and there on their larger screen tablets. It is the most efficient way to implement a new OS without having to rebuild it from the ground up on 2 different devices. They should realistically have a working BB10 PlayBook created already. If that is the case, then rolling it out before the release of the phone isn't a technical or physical impossibility.
    mhinc likes this.
    12-03-12 03:11 PM
    @BerryClever - Thanks for the info.

Is there any official word on the Playbook? Are we getting an update to BB10 or will we have to wait for a new tablet? Key word official.
    01-28-13 10:34 AM
    @BerryClever - Thanks for the info.

Is there any official word on the Playbook? Are we getting an update to BB10 or will we have to wait for a new tablet? Key word official.
    Yes, it is somewhere in late summer/early fall time frame
    01-29-13 12:24 PM
56 123