DevAlpha BB10 devices ran on 1GB and that worked out pretty well......I am sure the only real reason they put 2GB in them was to boost performance and not to seem like they are behind....look at the way Android phones were going for the dual-core/quad-core CPUs and 2GB RAM back in 2013....Hell, my Note II had 2GB RAM and quad-core CPU.....and it really isn't any quicker than the Z10 IMO (and that was rooted with a stock version of Android, didn't use TouchWiz)....not only that, the rumored Z3 phone is only gonna have 1.5GB RAM.....with the PlayBook they can save a little bit of space/memory resources by cutting a few corners

The phone & text aspects of the OS would not be needed
    They could even leave out some of the included apps such as Box, EverNote, LinkedIn and FourSquare and make 'em available on Blackberry World for those that use it (its just clutter to me)
    Story Maker isn't needed, I seriously doubt people are filming movies and such on their tablets....(it is great for YouTube though)

I'm not 100% sure how the Android run-time works on the Blackberry 10 devices.....from what I have noticed, after a first boot up, it takes a few seconds to load up Android apps....so i'm assuming its basically "Booting" Android runtime.....even if they have to cut corners and make it where Android Runtime has to load as an app loads up (even though it'd make loading Android apps take longer than it would on a Z/Q device, it could save memory resources.....

But, then again, we know that BB10 will already run on 1GB RAM and there is no reason to cut corners.....both the DevAlpha and PlayBook are running on TI-OMAP CPU and 1GB RAM, the difference is the DevAlpha is running 1.5Ghz vs 1Ghz on the PlayBook
    02-17-14 08:57 PM
    I bought two play books on.the premise of bb10 Heins was a muppet. You just. Don't kill.a product off like that

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 04:37 PM
    so how do we ask the guys on beta to port android 4 for us?
    02-18-14 05:19 PM
    I bought two play books on.the premise of bb10 Heins was a muppet. You just. Don't kill.a product off like that

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, almost every company in high tech does this when a product is unsuccessful. Long enough, I learned the lesson (by Apple actually) to buy a product based upon what it does vs what might be promised someday

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 07:13 PM
    Exactly. We wont be using phone or text msgs etc on playbook so RAM usage goes down even more.....

System would be a little bit different on a BB10 OS for playbook. It wouldn't be using a lot of things your phone uses.
    02-19-14 05:58 AM
    I'm running the latest BB10 OS on my Dev alpha B which has only 1G ram too, and it has about 460mb free memory after startup.

there should be more left if its a playbook since there's no phone or sms on it.
    EchoesFX, codiak and pierre5018 like this.
    02-19-14 07:36 AM
31 12