So other than the new native PIM stuff (that I have no use for with Bridge), what other goodies and improvements will be offered?

Print to PlayBook - nice but not necessary. I have no problem printing a PDF and dragging it onto the PlayBook (when the LAN access isn't acting up).

File manager?
    Let me actually browse folders in apps like Adobe Reader instead of having every file in every subfolder listed in one giant list?
    Better Adobe Reader?

Are any improvements to the pictures, music and videos applications expected?
    01-12-12 06:00 PM
    Good questions. Not sure if anyone knows or can say if they do. It will have spell check etc.

Maybe some of those will come in other updates soon after.
    01-12-12 06:09 PM
    There's at least one other thread, probably three, asking exactly this. Check back a page or two in the threads either here or in the PlayBook forum.
    01-12-12 07:02 PM
    I agree. For the playbook to really take-off with everyone the other features (camera, music, pictures, video, file manager, etc...) need the same kind of outstanding integration with new coolness.

If this 'consistency' isn't in OS2 it will be criticized again for being unfinished
    01-12-12 07:52 PM
    I suggest GPS.
    The GPS on Playbook works not very well. With wifi, it could not locate my location on Bing.
    Hopefully, RIM will improve it in OS 2.0 next month
    CDM76 and Berrimad like this.
    01-12-12 09:05 PM
    Bing GPS never worked for me but otherwise GPS has been very good with my playbook.

If GPS doesn't 'work' I restart my playbook,...it works again

I contacted RIM support about GPS a while ago and the person stated the software engineers are looking into the issue with GPS and it will be improved in OS2.
    01-12-12 09:44 PM
    I suggest GPS.
    The GPS on Playbook works not very well. With wifi, it could not locate my location on Bing.

is it possible that GPS doesnt work well when you're using wifi b/c wifi implies you're inside and GPS typically doesn't work indoors?
    01-12-12 10:27 PM
    is it possible that GPS doesnt work well when you're using wifi b/c wifi implies you're inside and GPS typically doesn't work indoors?
    This is possible. Most people are used to A-GPS like on their smartphone, where it's assisted by the cell network. Other WiFi tablets like the iPad simply omit GPS entirely rather than offer standalone GPS, and use WiFi positioning instead. The PB's GPS will always take more time to get a fix and be more sensitive to being indoors because of the lack of cell network connectivity.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    01-12-12 11:15 PM
    SERIOUS bridge improvements.

For instance, if you receive a web link in an e-mail on your phone, you'll have a "view on Playbook" option in the menu. Documents to Go will support Powerpoint presentations, and you can run presentations from your Blackberry.

Ability to view video/pictures/docs from the phone.

WAY better e-mail/messaging, if the demos are to be trusted. WAY better WiFi (already in the beta).

Promises to be a much better experience overall.
    01-12-12 11:16 PM
    The PB's GPS will always take more time to get a fix and be more sensitive to being indoors because of the lack of cell network connectivity.
    That's because it is a proper satellite GPS that doesn't rely on any cell or WiFi network to get a location.

Such GPS systems aren't intended to be used indoors.
    01-12-12 11:28 PM
    This is a link to a CB thred about the folders in 2.0

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://f...AoK4QWIs1I27Aw
    01-12-12 11:31 PM
    GPS works fine in my house when using Magellan Compass. Yeah it takes longer to connect and obviously signal is stronger near windows but it works everywhere but the basement.
    01-13-12 10:35 AM
    i need a better browsing (faster and tab multitasking)
    01-13-12 11:42 AM
    The current Adobe Reader is a big pain, they either improve it, or it's enterprise dead.
    It lags when I open a 150pages .pdf file!
    01-13-12 06:36 PM
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned push notifications for 3rd party apps.
    For example, IM+ will not work unless you have the actual window open or instant score updates for the ScoreMobile app.

No push notifications like on the BlackBerry OS.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-13-12 07:40 PM

For example, IM+ will not work unless you have the actual window open or instant score updates for the ScoreMobile app.
    This is up the developer to implement, and can be supported now.

Note that it's possible they have it sort of working, provided you have the tablet in Showcase mode. (That's under Settings, General, Application Behaviour.)

It's possible for developers to make this work regardless of that setting, and that setting is definitely not sufficient in any case, but may be necessary for some apps currently.

If you want such support, contact the developer of your app (contact emails are in each app's entry in App World) and ask for it. Don't accept an answer that says "the OS doesn't support that yet" as it's probably not really true for most cases.
    01-13-12 09:22 PM
    This is up the developer to implement, and can be supported now.

Note that it's possible they have it sort of working, provided you have the tablet in Showcase mode. (That's under Settings, General, Application Behaviour.)

It's possible for developers to make this work regardless of that setting, and that setting is definitely not sufficient in any case, but may be necessary for some apps currently.

If you want such support, contact the developer of your app (contact emails are in each app's entry in App World) and ask for it. Don't accept an answer that says "the OS doesn't support that yet" as it's probably not really true for most cases.
    Yes but the showcase feature still requires the app window to be open at all times for it to function. Once you close the app window - it does nothing.

For example, the BlackBerry Podcasts app (developed by RIM), just say you close the App because your done with for the night but the next morning new podcasts are available to download but the PlayBook does nothing. You have to manually open the app again, then wait for your podcasts to be downloaded. The current BlackBerry OS doesn't require you to open the app, it pushes the content whether the app is closed or not.

Not even the Facebook app (also developed by RIM) gives you push notifications/alerts like the current BlackBerry OS, Android, or iOS.

The PlayBook OS looks great and I realize it takes a while for everything to come together but I'm really surprised in 2 major versions of the PlayBook they haven't really implemented a solid notification system and cross platform integration.
    criticalangle likes this.
    01-13-12 09:58 PM
    I wouldn't call any of the updates to the OS major yet.
    01-13-12 09:59 PM
    I have found the so-called reviews coming out of CES crappy myself. If i was going to review the Playbook, I would have brought along an OTG cable with USB flash memory, a bluetooth headphone to test the features of the Playbook, and maybe even a laptop with some files to play, see if they have enabled MKV and AC3, maybe the FM radio is enabled, try a PDF file maybe to test the reader, and get the scoop! I would have at least asked the questions, but it seems the reviewers didn't even do that from what I have read to date... maybe I missed something?

What I have read is basically all RIM want to tell us. The features are nice but damn WEAK reviews. It is weird and i can't explain it.

There is so much of the tablet's potential still uncovered and half baked. Hope OS2 unlocks the power in the tablet - they have had long enough.
    Last edited by cathulu15; 01-13-12 at 10:48 PM.
    01-13-12 10:36 PM
    You have to manually open the app again, then wait for your podcasts to be downloaded. The current BlackBerry OS doesn't require you to open the app, it pushes the content whether the app is closed or not.

Not even the Facebook app (also developed by RIM) gives you push notifications/alerts like the current BlackBerry OS, Android, or iOS.
    I believe you're misusing the term "push" here, which was confusing me. Push is really where a server sends new data as it becomes available, through an already-open connection. The PlayBook can do that (receive "pushed" data) just fine. (I realize the term is probably misused by many, and you were just using it as you'd seen it used.)

The feature that we really need to do what you describe is services, often called background services. When you see new messages for those apps showing up "whether the app is closed or not", it's actually because the app is [B]not[B] closed fully, but has launched a service in the background, which stays in contact with the server and receives new data instantly (push) or which just periodically polls the server to get new data (pull).

We definitely need services. Fortunately, RIM is aware of the need and is working on the required support, though we won't see it in 2.0.
    01-13-12 11:01 PM
    I believe you're misusing the term "push" here, which was confusing me. Push is really where a server sends new data as it becomes available, through an already-open connection. The PlayBook can do that (receive "pushed" data) just fine. (I realize the term is probably misused by many, and you were just using it as you'd seen it used.)

The feature that we really need to do what you describe is services, often called background services. When you see new messages for those apps showing up "whether the app is closed or not", it's actually because the app is [B]not[B] closed fully, but has launched a service in the background, which stays in contact with the server and receives new data instantly (push) or which just periodically polls the server to get new data (pull).

We definitely need services. Fortunately, RIM is aware of the need and is working on the required support, though we won't see it in 2.0.
    Whatever the right term is, I find it odd that RIM - which prides themselves by making superior communication devices - hasn't implemented a good notification system, whether push or pull.

I've yet to see a notification icon aside from BlackBerry Bridge and system alerts (software updates, etc.). Not even apps developed by RIM have any sort of notification alerts so makes me think that RIM is not pushing for these features - not yet at least.

I know the demand for apps and games is probably a lot more, but I really, really hope a solid notification system is ready by the times BB 10 phones arrive.
    01-13-12 11:19 PM
    I suggest GPS.
    I have a Windows Phone, and half the time can't find myself using the GPS on Bing Maps. Not certain it's a problem with the PlayBook, so much as a MS issue.
    01-13-12 11:31 PM
    I am also curious as to what improvements are going to be made with the video/music apps. I am really hoping for .mkv support and for support of more audio files (flac) for both music and video. It would cause less hassle for people who don't want to convert their video.
    01-14-12 11:16 AM
    I have some very specific questions too:

1. Will the Bridge Tasks app be improved? Current app is less than useless.
    2. Will you be able to close browser tabs by swiping?
    3. Can you edit your Bookmarks?
    4. Can you delete your YouTube app history?
    5. Will internet connectivity over Bridge be extended to other apps?
    6. What's the latest on the Android App support?

Come on RIM, please don't make it a one feature update, native email this and native calendar that is not impressive if you are a Bridge/BES user. Let's see some additional funtionality!
    01-14-12 01:05 PM

No push notifications like on the BlackBerry OS.
    In order for this to happen RIM need to make the API for this sort of functionality available in the dev tools. At least that is my understanding of it.

Also RIM is nearing the rollout of OS 2 and yet the NDK has no UI... Where is cascades? You can't expect devs to submit applications when the tools aren't complete.
    01-14-12 01:29 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD