? OS2 Beta doesn't connect ot PC via USB?

Michaelaw
    01-04-12 07:26 PM
    Actually, it does. For me.

Are you asking a question, or describing a problem that you're having?

Maybe more detail would help too. Have you ever managed to connect that way with 1.0.8 prior to moving to the beta?
    01-04-12 07:33 PM
    I've noticed this too. Pre-upgrade it connected just fine. Since upgrading to OS2 beta the PB is fickle about connecting to my Win7 PC. Rebooting the PB has fixed it every time so far though.
    01-04-12 07:43 PM
    I've noticed this too. Pre-upgrade it connected just fine. Since upgrading to OS2 beta the PB is fickle about connecting to my Win7 PC. Rebooting the PB has fixed it every time so far though.
    Win7 here too, tried restarting PB as well as PC, several times, I gave up and am downgrading OS now.
    01-04-12 08:23 PM
    put your playbook in development mode, it will connect.
    01-04-12 09:16 PM
    Worked fine for me. I'm on the newest OS 2.0 beta.
    01-05-12 01:11 AM
    I'll try to tonight, thanks
    01-05-12 11:35 AM
    Nope, doesn't work, rebooted pc, pb and desktop. Every thing acts like it's going to connect, I get the blonk, blonk, sound from the pc, desktop mgr starts up, the pb screen says, connected to computer, but desktop shows not connected and doesn't see the pb.

Running Win7 on pc, and os2 on pb.
    What next folks?
    01-05-12 07:07 PM
    Actually, it does. For me.

Are you asking a question, or describing a problem that you're having?

Maybe more detail would help too. Have you ever managed to connect that way with 1.0.8 prior to moving to the beta?

Nope, doesn't work, rebooted pc, pb and desktop. Every thing acts like it's going to connect, I get the blonk, blonk, sound from the pc, desktop mgr starts up, the pb screen says, connected to computer, but desktop shows not connected and doesn't see the pb.
    Worked on 108.
    Running Win7 on pc, and os2 on pb.
    What next folks?
    Last edited by mawil1013; 01-06-12 at 05:51 AM.
    01-05-12 07:44 PM
    had the same problem on xp desktop.
    connect device to pc, goto network setup/devices, you should see a device called research in motion
    normally right clicking on this gives you the properties option. you'll find that things like tcpip are unchecked under one of the tabs. check them all then disclnnect,reconnect the playbook
    01-06-12 02:01 AM
    had the same problem on xp desktop.
    connect device to pc, goto network setup/devices, you should see a device called research in motion
    normally right clicking on this gives you the properties option. you'll find that things like tcpip are unchecked under one of the tabs. check them all then disclnnect,reconnect the playbook
    I found it in, (Win7) Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center,

it shows up as Unidentified network, Public network then Connections as Local Area Connection 2, and so far thats as far as I've been able to go, sooo it sees its which is good.
    01-06-12 06:17 AM
    I found it in, (Win7) Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center,

it shows up as Unidentified network, Public network then Connections as Local Area Connection 2, and so far thats as far as I've been able to go, sooo it sees its which is good.
    cool, now right click and goto properties and make sure tcpip plus the other tick boxes are checked.

also download and install the latest blackberry usb drivers for your pc os from the bb site - google search this
    01-06-12 07:24 PM
    cool, now right click and goto properties and make sure tcpip plus the other tick boxes are checked.

also download and install the latest blackberry usb drivers for your pc os from the bb site - google search this
    What I got was, Local Area Connection 2 Properties, Networking, This connection uses,,, and these three are checked, Client for MS Networks, File and Printer Sharing for MS networks and Internet Protocal Ver 4 (TCP/IPv4),

Still no usb connection, it is there but DTM nor going thru Win Explorer is the PB viewable. drat!!!!!!!

edit, don't really need to transfer anything urgent, just some songs, guess I'll wait for official OS2, continue with beta till then.
    Last edited by mawil1013; 01-06-12 at 09:14 PM.
    01-06-12 08:50 PM
    I have been facing same issue even when I was on Tablet OS v1.0.8.6067. Windows 7 just couldn't mount volume of PlayBook. Tried very possible trick to uninstall Network Drivers of RIM, disabling. But no luck.

Even tried the Development Mode enabled. Still no luck.

Surprising part is that the PlayBook works perfect with Windows XP SP3 machine. No issues and good file transfer speeds. I transferred movies to check the same function.

I think the MTP mode in Windows 7 or something similar is not letting to load the volumes.

Three observations:
    A) in Devices and Printers Menu, the tablet shows up as APSD9XXD IDE Controller Device along with RIM Network Device.

B) The PB USB connects as normal USB storage so it becomes difficult to update the drivers from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers

C) If the PlayBook is switched off, connected to the Windows 7 machine and then booted up, it tries installing a driver. The interface tries to install the driver from Windows Update but nothing happens. If the link "skip installing from Windows Update" is clicked, 3 out of 10 times the driver gets installed properly. Else it shows "Device Unplugged" error because the tablet is still booting.

There's one silly workaround I tried - used libUSB-win32. On that, the RIM Disk Drive shows up just for a fraction of a second and then disappears to be replaced with RIM Network Device.

The problem existed ever since the 1.0.8.6067 and there was no sure shot solution for that.

As far as the Google Search for the E:0x4B3 goes, I thought it was Silverlight Error. So updated the Silverlight in my desktop. Still no luck.

By forcing to check update everytime after security wipe is silly. At least that part should be opt-out.
    01-08-12 10:05 AM
    I have been facing same issue even when I was on Tablet OS v1.0.8.6067. Windows 7 just couldn't mount volume of PlayBook. Tried very possible trick to uninstall Network Drivers of RIM, disabling. But no luck.

Even tried the Development Mode enabled. Still no luck.

Surprising part is that the PlayBook works perfect with Windows XP SP3 machine. No issues and good file transfer speeds. I transferred movies to check the same function.

I think the MTP mode in Windows 7 or something similar is not letting to load the volumes.

Three observations:
    A) in Devices and Printers Menu, the tablet shows up as APSD9XXD IDE Controller Device along with RIM Network Device.

B) The PB USB connects as normal USB storage so it becomes difficult to update the drivers from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers

C) If the PlayBook is switched off, connected to the Windows 7 machine and then booted up, it tries installing a driver. The interface tries to install the driver from Windows Update but nothing happens. If the link "skip installing from Windows Update" is clicked, 3 out of 10 times the driver gets installed properly. Else it shows "Device Unplugged" error because the tablet is still booting.

There's one silly workaround I tried - used libUSB-win32. On that, the RIM Disk Drive shows up just for a fraction of a second and then disappears to be replaced with RIM Network Device.

The problem existed ever since the 1.0.8.6067 and there was no sure shot solution for that.

As far as the Google Search for the E:0x4B3 goes, I thought it was Silverlight Error. So updated the Silverlight in my desktop. Still no luck.

By forcing to check update everytime after security wipe is silly. At least that part should be opt-out.
    yeah i agree and think it is a win7 issue which worries me OS2 when released will solve the issue.
    01-08-12 10:56 AM
    Too bad that the OS 2.0 has not resolved that issue. Have updated every possible component of Windows 7.
    02-22-12 10:01 AM
    Ok. General procedure here; we need a point to start.

Required : install Desktop Manager for the proper drivers and Device Manager under Windows (all in one install).
    Without this : no go / tricky.
    http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

1. On your PB settings verify in "Storage and sharing" that USB sharing is enabled.
    At this point, do not set up a password, it'll be easier to do. you can enable it later.

2. Plug your PB with the USB cable into the desktop
    3. Wait : the device manager should load (little grey computer on the right of the taskbar), if your PB is password protected (not share protected, the standard one) it'll prompt for it. Enter your password and wait a little. Shazaaaammm, you should now have a mounted (probably Z: ) drive. This is the easy way.
    Please report if it does not work.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-22-12 at 10:53 AM.
    02-22-12 10:49 AM
    Too bad that the OS 2.0 has not resolved that issue. Have updated every possible component of Windows 7.
    works perfectly with W7. Drivers are NOT available online, so that you MUST install Desktop Manager. Have you ?
    02-22-12 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD