So they are saying give us feedback. Then give us what we want the software and the devices...

Develope. Implement.Release.NOW
    01-28-12 07:11 PM
    Be patient, everything is pointing to a Feb 17th release By some chips, organize a party with all your pb friends, the day for 2.0 is imminent!
    01-28-12 07:24 PM
    Although this has been said before I'll repeat it again. RIM is not just sitting on a perfectly complete OS 2.0 waiting till February just for the h#ll (seriously CrackBerry? I can't say h#ll?) of it. Right now it's not done being built, it's "still on the assembly line" so to speak. It's not even the beginning of February yet, and all they promised is sometime in February.

Do you phone up Ford and ask they give you a 2013 car in April 2012? I can just imagine the call "I don't care if it doesn't have wheels on it, I WANT IT NOW!". If RIM released it now that's what you'd be getting, a car with no wheels, because it isn't complete yet. It will be complete probably a day or two before release (complete includes tested).
    noodle15 and Adhamalghamdi like this.
    01-28-12 08:47 PM
    Although this has been said before I'll repeat it again. RIM is not just sitting on a perfectly complete OS 2.0 waiting till February just for the h#ll (seriously CrackBerry? I can't say h#ll?) of it. Right now it's not done being built, it's "still on the assembly line" so to speak. It's not even the beginning of February yet, and all they promised is sometime in February.

Do you phone up Ford and ask they give you a 2013 car in April 2012? I can just imagine the call "I don't care if it doesn't have wheels on it, I WANT IT NOW!". If RIM released it now that's what you'd be getting, a car with no wheels, because it isn't complete yet. It will be complete probably a day or two before release (complete includes tested).
    Ehhh, I suspect they're pretty close to the last few validation builds. There better not be any significant issues left at this point.
    01-28-12 08:55 PM
    Ehhh, I suspect they're pretty close to the last few validation builds. There better not be any significant issues left at this point.
    What you say isn't inconsistent with what taylortbb just said. It's not done being tested yet. Same as what you said.

As for significant issues: I'm sure there are some. By definition, anything they fix at this point is going to be considered significant, for one thing. If it weren't, they'd just leave it out for a later release, since you want to minimize the changes at this point.

I'm also sure there are a few remaining "gating bugs", which are by definition things they want to fix at this point (and, thus significant, see above).

Significant doesn't necessarily mean incredibly difficult to fix, however, and could even be flagged "effort: trivial (1h)" somewhere. There's still time for such fixes...
    01-28-12 09:49 PM
    All I am saying when customer give you ideas and ideas take them and build it. Obviously we want it and would be willing to pay. I am patient I am content with what I have, I just think if RIM would listen to the consumer and see trends they would be better off.

There tablet is a great build, the reason it gets no support is because 1 app world lacks and 2 only a wifi device. There is now the bridge but BB devices are lacking in certain ways. I could go on and on. I have ideas for BB and could make them money but I am just a joe schmoe..
    01-29-12 09:52 AM
    but I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-29-12 11:13 AM

Agreed. It'll be tested till the moment of release, IMO.
    I think if it were done, they'd release it already.

Now it's MY TURN to repeat myself.

The software industry is very unpredictible.
    Many things can go wrong, even in a build that was "almost ready".
    Fix one thing and 8 break. That's how it goes. Itty, bitty, thin lines between this operation and the next. Very difficult to keep them seperate.
    It's about testing, testing, and more testing.

We don't really want them to release before it's done.
    We just need to be patient and trust they are doing their best.
    01-29-12 12:28 PM
    According to Blackberryos.com futureshop and bestbuy targeting Feb 21 launch date:

"UPDATE [11:58am]: It seems that our brothers from the north are also getting ready for the PlayBook OS 2.0 update on the 21st. Various Best Buy Canada and Future Shop locations have confirmed the February 21st launch date as well."
    01-29-12 07:04 PM
    I like to be optimistic and say current owners will get the OS prior to the 21st, and in the first week or 2 into February, then by the time all the stores receive their shipments 2.0 ready, it'll be Feb 21st. B)
    01-29-12 07:33 PM

While I entirely agree with what you are saying, I must admit that the car example was not the best. The first of the 2013 model year cars actually do hit the dealers in April of 2012. My 2009 Toyota, for instance, was purchased in April of 2008. The 2013 redesign of the Ford Mustang, to keep it to Fords, will be out in April of 2012. Automobiles are the one line of products that do not fit any form of logic when it comes to model years....
    01-29-12 08:32 PM
    I believe a 17 date is unlikely, especially since RIM has no business hours on weekends, if 2.0 does break something and tech support is unavailable I smell a disaster brewing. 20-21st are more plausible dates.
    01-30-12 12:49 AM
    While I entirely agree with what you are saying, I must admit that the car example was not the best. The first of the 2013 model year cars actually do hit the dealers in April of 2012. My 2009 Toyota, for instance, was purchased in April of 2008. The 2013 redesign of the Ford Mustang, to keep it to Fords, will be out in April of 2012. Automobiles are the one line of products that do not fit any form of logic when it comes to model years....
    I thought I was safe with April. I didn't think anyone was doing 2013 cars before June 2012. I guess that's what marketing does.
    01-30-12 12:55 PM
    excited about the lauch of OS 2... looking forward for RIM grabbing back some market share... for me it must have the android stuff and DLNA
    01-30-12 01:40 PM
    What you say isn't inconsistent with what taylortbb just said. It's not done being tested yet. Same as what you said.

As for significant issues: I'm sure there are some. By definition, anything they fix at this point is going to be considered significant, for one thing. If it weren't, they'd just leave it out for a later release, since you want to minimize the changes at this point.

I'm also sure there are a few remaining "gating bugs", which are by definition things they want to fix at this point (and, thus significant, see above).

Significant doesn't necessarily mean incredibly difficult to fix, however, and could even be flagged "effort: trivial (1h)" somewhere. There's still time for such fixes...
    Well, an OS is never really "done" anyway.

I'm working on the assumption that they were close to ready back in October, but the decision was made to push back partly to implement more features and partly to prepare a "reboot" on the marketing end.
    JayInNJ and thedark722 like this.
    01-30-12 01:40 PM
    If the final release "Android Player" is close to that in .7111, RIM is in serious trouble. I really hope they are much closer to a release binary than they appear to be.
    I'm not interested in a carefully controlled demo on a marketing PB at CES. What user's want is what they keep posting on Forums. Shame RIM is not listening to it.
    01-30-12 02:23 PM
    If the final release "Android Player" is close to that in .7111, RIM is in serious trouble. I really hope they are much closer to a release binary than they appear to be.
    Don't expect significant improvements in the Android player. It was only ever going to work with 30-40% of apps. The App World review process is there to check and make sure an app works.
    01-30-12 02:48 PM
    i don't understand why playbook owners care about android apps?
    for the silly drum apps, or piano apps?
    we already have ( or will soon have ) gameloft games, ea games, angrybirds, fruits&ninja, cut the rope, zombies vs plants, zinio, etc.

what are the top android apps that all the playbook users so deperately want?
    01-30-12 03:38 PM
    Netflix

The list can go in and on.

Fact is, a hungry & disappointed playbook community isnt waiting on pens and needles for endless fart apps, silly games and dice/coin flipping type sillyware. They want those apps that will fill the gaps in that have been left by the OS programmers as well as the shortage of apps resulting from devs not caring about coding for the playbook when dumb and dumber fumbled the ball over and over in developing it.
    01-30-12 03:59 PM
    ok, so if those are the top 3, they don't interest me at all.
    i hope they do make their way to the playbook in a native format soon if there is a great demand for them.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-30-12 04:27 PM
    Android apps? There are many many many quality ones that hopefully will be coming our way.

e-readers - Aldiko, Cool Reader, Moon+Reader, Kindle, etc Overdrive has just been ported, thank goodness (for 2.0).

file managers - current PB apps have only a small percentage of the functionality of the good Android apps - eg ES and Astro file managers, that let you browse your complete shared network and access, open, and manipulate files on it

media players - that play a far greater number of formats than are currently supported on the PB

quality games of far greater variety then currently exist for the PB, like the smooth, graphically appealing, and powerful chess apps in Android Market, etc

utilities, etc, etc, etc
    01-30-12 08:33 PM
    i don't understand why playbook owners care about android apps?
    for the silly drum apps, or piano apps?
    we already have ( or will soon have ) gameloft games, ea games, angrybirds, fruits&ninja, cut the rope, zombies vs plants, zinio, etc.

"pdf readers" not as silly as the PB pdf reader
    01-30-12 09:48 PM
    "pdf readers" not as silly as the PB pdf reader
    aside from e-mail and calendar, a decent PDF reader is one of the things i'm most looking forward to with the upcoming upgrade.
    01-30-12 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD