So your're saying that you prefer to use a computer? Well so do I because using a computer (PC or Mac) is WAY more efficient and productive to use than any tablet or smart phone. I am not telling anyone how to use the products they buy, but some things are meant to be portable which usually means less features less power less productive less efficient. Tablets are an in between device when you don't have access to a computer and when you want to consume stuff (read, video, games, light email, etc) -- it's not a laptop or a desktop and shouldn't be treated as such. Like I said, I know there are some that still use native email, but I think the vast majority of users still use web clients. I have been using gmail from the start and never had issue with lag with loading times or scrolling etc. It's much more useful in most ways IMO than a client or app (which I do use for work).
    i am going to go out on a limb here...but everybody... would you agree that at least 75% of everyone who has owned any other tablet prefers to use a native email app rather than a web based one?
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    10-26-11 03:03 PM
    Web apps are made for mice and keyboard. As good as the touchscreen is on the PB, how many times have you tapped a link only to realize you tapped the link right next to it instead?

Native apps are designed with the particular device in mind. Buttons are large, screen real estate is optimized for that one device. The code is running internally which means faster response and overall better user experience.

I don't expect every app to be native, but it's nice to have native apps for the services you use the most, such as emailing and calendar.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    10-26-11 03:20 PM
    Wow, 31 pages in < 24 hrs, impressive.

I prefer Bridge, one less thing I have to check, mark as read, and delete.

Native BBM or some kind of IM would be nice but it isn't bothering me any. I already sit at my PC and chat w/people on my phone.
    10-26-11 03:24 PM
    I'm GLAD I SOLD MINE THIS WEEK, AGAIN WHAT A JOKE......
    10-26-11 03:37 PM
    Curious, do you have a Blackberry? If so, it's WAY more productive to schedule and communicate (email) on your Blackberry versus using the Playbook or any tablet. The fact the Playbook is only a good tablet without a Blackberry to pair it with - I knew when I bought it.

I prefer to email, bbm, memos, notes on my BB. Surf, read, games, video on my PB.
    No I no longer use a Blackberry phone. I continue to hold stock in the company, much to my regret. The Playbook is the dumbest move since Basille tried chasing an NHL team instead of doing his job. It is a lousy product for needing to lean on any other device. Why anyone should go buy a $600 accessory for a $50.00 phone is beyond me.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    10-26-11 03:57 PM
    No, I'm saying I prefer native email. Not just on a computer, but anywhere. ESPECIALLY on a tablet. Imagine if you had to load a page every time you wantedw to check your email on bb. Wouldn't that be a pain? Now of course you're saying that's ridiculous, because a 3 inch screen and a 7 inch screen are way different. But really, I don't think so. A 7 inch screen also needs to be optimized for. And apart from the layout, I'm talking about the instantaneaity of native programs, whether it be a pc Mac iPad play book or a phone. Instead of going to 3 different email accounts, isn't it alot easier to open outlook and everything is there for you?

You might think tablets are an in between device, but I think that has changed. Initially yes they were. I'm not a journalist or a writer, I use my tablet at home for casual browsing, emailing, etc. so for me it is in fact almost a computer replacement at home. Can't remember last time I used my computer for casual stuff at home. And you say people prefer to write emails on bb instead of play book. Sure, just as they prefer writing them on a computer and not a bb. But we still need native email on a phone as we do on a tablet. Makes things seemless. I'm reading some stuff and want to mail a link? I'm not going to go to my phone to send that or my computer. Remember an email you wanted to quickly write or respond to? Do it from your tablet, no need to grab your phone for a 10 second task.

So your're saying that you prefer to use a computer? Well so do I because using a computer (PC or Mac) is WAY more efficient and productive to use than any tablet or smart phone. I am not telling anyone how to use the products they buy, but some things are meant to be portable which usually means less features less power less productive less efficient. Tablets are an in between device when you don't have access to a computer and when you want to consume stuff (read, video, games, light email, etc) -- it's not a laptop or a desktop and shouldn't be treated as such. Like I said, I know there are some that still use native email, but I think the vast majority of users still use web clients. I have been using gmail from the start and never had issue with lag with loading times or scrolling etc. It's much more useful in most ways IMO than a client or app (which I do use for work).
    10-26-11 04:19 PM
    Honestly I'm quite happy with my PlayBook the way it is. Sure it needs some spit and polish here and there and a liberal sprinkling of added functionality throughout the native apps, but it's a great device.

The only downside to the OS2 delay is the increased time it will take for some new apps to show up, but I suspect with all the new development tools and capabilities of OS2 it will take some time for developers to build those apps anyway.
    You must be delusional if you think any half serious Dev is going to invest resources in a format which gives off the stench of death. There's no grand surprise waiting for you man. There's no apps not because they're planning some grand barrage of apps, it's because there's no interest. And yes, there are apps in app world, and I'm sure there will be some half assed devs(no offense) that can't cut it in the iOS or android cut throat market or get out classed there that might pay attention to pb to see if they can get some attention here, but other than that youre not going to see anything mind blowing.
    AshleyBhagwanani likes this.
    10-26-11 04:24 PM
    Good point with all those other apps. I think people that think when you say email client all you mean is some place to read or write email prob haven't used an android or iOS tablet and how much more you need the email client for. Emailing links pages quick little email catching up, etc. I've never found an online email interface worth using, other than maybe gmail, and that still won't provide you with all this functionality.

I agree about being simpler to read /write email on a blackberry. However- why buy the Playbook in that case eh? Once you are using the the bloody thing, for movies, surfing etc, it makes sense to want to deal with all the email too, without switching to another device. You may not want to reply to long emails on the tablet-any tablet-but reading them is a great convenience with a native app. My work Blackberry is just for work email so I need a native app on the Playbook for email. Also, having a native app opens up hundreds of other conveniences like Read It later, Instapaper etc. And makes hundreds of other news apps that much more useful when you can use the native email to send share and/or save articles and links. Using the web faced interface is a stone age solution to the criticisms I'm afraid. Few will agree with you there. I also have a Blackberry for personal use-and have only used Bridge one. Pain inthe **** as far as I am concerned-not to mention ATT issues. For those who love it-great. For the rest of us who want to use the PB for non business purposes I feel that Bridge is just an unwieldy process, prone to problems, causing battery drain and means reliance on another device. What do you do when the Blackberry is low on charge or dead at the end of the day? Too many issues for me.
    10-26-11 04:28 PM
    Good point with all those other apps. I think people that think when you say email client all you mean is some place to read or write email prob haven't used an android or iOS tablet and how much more you need the email client for. Emailing links pages quick little email catching up, etc. I've never found an online email interface worth using, other than maybe gmail, and that still won't provide you with all this functionality.
    The gmail mobile site is still very, very buggy too. I have one gmail account that it will frequently reporting a server connection failure trying to load the inbox, while another gmail account works fine...
    10-26-11 04:33 PM
    This announcement is the nail in the coffin for me. I am not sure what platform I will be switching to but I can gaurantee it will not be a bb.

I just can't take the bold-face lying anymore from the Co-dip****-CEO's. I mean seriously, Ballsack promotes OS 2.0 on the Sept 15th call and then 5 weeks later the OS is postponed 4 months? What kind of CEO doesn't know he is going to miss a deadline by 4 months when the deadline is 5 weeks away???? I bought the PB based on what was announced only to find out it was complete BS. As a side note I didn't buy the "end of summer" deadline so I waited... and waited... and I really did think they were telling the truth this time, I mean who can mess up this bad?

I bought a Tour and went through several phones before getting the functional one I have now (frusterating experience). I bought a PB based on what RIM said about 2.0 being released only to find out its delayed a half a year (frusterating experience).

Companies that frusterate me don't get my repeat business. Just ask the local cable company.
    10-26-11 04:42 PM
    i am going to go out on a limb here...but everybody... would you agree that at least 75% of everyone who has owned any other tablet prefers to use a native email app rather than a web based one?
    Yup. Native apps tend to be better formatted for the device (ie. screen size) making them easier to use. I also like the fact that I can access emails offline as well.
    10-26-11 07:52 PM
    Not just that but system notifications (or easily handling multiple email accounts) doesn't really work on web mail.
    10-26-11 07:54 PM
    I've been a blackberry user for 10+ years. I got tired of dwindling apps, deleting vendor.xml files, battery pulls, unusable browser... Six months ago, my family had 4 blackberries; now we have two iPads, three iPhones and just one blackberry. I love the browser, the apps, the speed, the stability and the simplicity of the ipad and iphone. No work arounds; no excuses. It just works. I enjoyed my bb, but my wife loves her new iPad and I'm thrilled w/ my new iphone.
    rickgainsmith likes this.
    10-26-11 08:56 PM
    So this means it will alert us to manually update?
    CommanderElvis likes this.
    10-26-11 09:31 PM
    I was looking forward to soon now in february hmmm lets see what happen guys.
    10-26-11 10:11 PM
    hmm... The numbers aren't right. There are a TON of you "jumping ship" or, at least that's what you said, yet, there is only 1 PB for sale at the Crackberry marketplace? Am I missing something? I thought since you all think the PB (and RIM in general) are going down in the flames of hail I could get a few PB's for fire sale prices. w00t! Or, are all of you going to keep your PB's so you can have something to complain about for the OS2 release?

Btw, since RIM is going down like a $2 wh0r3, you might as well sell me your PB for virtually nothing since it's an unsellable POS. I'll take 2 please...
    10-26-11 11:37 PM
    hmm... The numbers aren't right. There are a TON of you "jumping ship" or, at least that's what you said, yet, there is only 1 PB for sale at the Crackberry marketplace? Am I missing something? I thought since you all think the PB (and RIM in general) are going down in the flames of hail I could get a few PB's for fire sale prices. w00t! Or, are all of you going to keep your PB's so you can have something to complain about for the OS2 release?

Btw, since RIM is going down like a $2 wh0r3, you might as well sell me your PB for virtually nothing since it's an unsellable POS. I'll take 2 please...
    Give me $250. It's about a month old.
    10-26-11 11:48 PM
    I've been a blackberry user for 10+ years. I got tired of dwindling apps, deleting vendor.xml files, battery pulls, unusable browser... Six months ago, my family had 4 blackberries; now we have two iPads, three iPhones and just one blackberry. I love the browser, the apps, the speed, the stability and the simplicity of the ipad and iphone. No work arounds; no excuses. It just works. I enjoyed my bb, but my wife loves her new iPad and I'm thrilled w/ my new iphone.
    I just figured out how to "tether" my smartphone to an iPod and iPad so I can use cellular data on the go. I'm teetering...
    10-26-11 11:49 PM
    Wow, depending on the iPad3 release and whether RIM keep their promise on this, I could have 3 generation of iPads in the time RIM releases 2.0
    yah they really need to catch up!
    10-27-11 02:13 AM
    February just feels like forever man...

if anyone interested my 64GB playbook is posted in the marketplace. I'm willing to negotiate price.
    10-27-11 09:13 AM
    Since the PlayBook has zero (redeeming) value to so many supposed owners, those owners should just be giving them away for no more than the cost of shipping and handling!

Two, please!
    10-27-11 09:40 AM

Look on eBay for cheap used and new playbooks.....But also look at Best Buy and other retailers who are also selling them for $300 to $350 new. Crackberry-why only one? Come on, in a forum such as this, everybody usually has one and usually have not been that satisfied with it. Why would people want to sell their PB on a forum that is not too happy with the device and has justified negativity eh? You only sell a product where it is in demand after all. Would not make sense to sell on virtually any Blackberry forum given RIM's abysmal record. But I will sell you mine for $300.....
    Last edited by ashleydelavane; 10-27-11 at 09:50 AM.
    10-27-11 09:47 AM
    Since the PlayBook has zero (redeeming) value to so many supposed owners, those owners should just be giving them away for no more than the cost of shipping and handling!

Two, please!
    I'm intrigued... Why would somebody who paid $500.00 want to give their device away because they are very dissatisfied ? I 'm going to sell mine on eBay and get about $300 to $350 for it. Obviously there is a demand for the Playbook at that price. Why would you think we would give them away? You make no sense whatsoever. You also imply that a lot of people posting do not own Playbooks. What is it with all of you who think so many people posting on these forums do not have one? Deal with what you can prove , not with what you cannot. One has to assume we all own a Playbook or have done at some stage. So deal with with the comments accordingly. I will sell you mine for $300 to $350 right now!
    10-27-11 10:04 AM
    I'd like to know why Moderators have moved PB discussions, even if they are OS-related out of the PB subforum. The pb and its OS is entirely unique and different from the phone OS's. Just my take on things. I noted a couple of threads were moved.

I like the pb stuff being in one place.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-27-11 10:41 AM
    I'm intrigued... Why would somebody who paid $500.00 want to give their device away because they are very dissatisfied ? I 'm going to sell mine on eBay and get about $300 to $350 for it. Obviously there is a demand for the Playbook at that price. Why would you think we would give them away? You make no sense whatsoever. You also imply that a lot of people posting do not own Playbooks. What is it with all of you who think so many people posting on these forums do not have one? Deal with what you can prove , not with what you cannot. One has to assume we all own a Playbook or have done at some stage. So deal with with the comments accordingly. I will sell you mine for $300 to $350 right now!
    Because those same disgruntled supposed owners decry the PlayBook as a worthless piece of junk. Who in their right minds would pay $300 to buy a device that the person selling it says has no worth? Riddle me that? And some of those same disgruntled owners are claiming there's no demand for the PlayBook (at any price) and continually point to sales figures. Yet you're claiming there is demand (at your price.) What model do you have for sale?

Also, with what almost seems to be human nature, when a person is unhappy with a thing, they tend to neglect/abuse it. Who's to say, other than yourself, that your device (or any of the other supposed disgruntled owners') is in a condition to warrant $300?

Why do I say "supposed owners?" Because when the big Staples sale was going on and that thread had gotten over 20 pages long, I don't recall any of these unhappy "owners" offering up theirs for sale. No, the only comments I can recall from them was supposed astonishment that anyone would even still want to buy one.
    10-27-11 11:44 AM
486 ... 17181920
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD