I personally like my Playbook in it's current form and OS 2.0 is a bonus to me, so I don't take this as bad news as many others will.

We on the forum are the loud minority in comparison to the 70 million BB users out there and most don't hang on every rumor and follow RIM day in and day out so I think when weighed against this it's better RIM get it 100% right than release OS 2.0/BBX at 75% or 80% finished and have critics and people on the forum rip it apart and do more damage to the Playbook and the new generation of phones before they are even released. RIM is damned if they do and damned if they don't at this point so not releasing OS 2.0 until it's finished, which will hopefully both wow and silence the critics, is the lesser evil of the two IMHO.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did RIM ever mention it would be out after DEVCON? If so, the disappointment is our own doing for getting our hopes up on rumors.
    No I don't think they said that...I think they said at the initial launch of the product that it would be the first "Professional-Grade" tablet. Since then I don't think it even supports Citrix.
    10-26-11 10:08 AM
    Great way to stain the QNX name.

Playbook? just a $500 screen extension of a blackberry phone with a browser that supports flash. I dont see how this tablet is appealing to anybody that does not own a blackberry.
    If browsing, reading documents and the like are your needs then there are cheaper tablets out there that browse just as fine and support flash, plus, they also have the decency of having bookmark management in the browser. No need to waste $500 for that sort of usage.
    What do you think the iPad is suppose to be for?
    It's a bigger screen iPhone except it cannot make calls. Yet you still see people flock for it. Other tablets do not match up to the Playbook on several fronts. If you do not see what they are or give any value to them then you're just here to bash and provide nothing of value to the discussion. Sorry your arguments makes no sense or are invalid.

Please try again...
    10-26-11 10:12 AM
    No I don't think they said that...I think they said at the initial launch of the product that it would be the first "Professional-Grade" tablet. Since then I don't think it even supports Citrix.
    There is a Citrix client. It works, but still needs some further development.
    10-26-11 10:27 AM
    Yikes, I'm glad to see there is some good discussion without a ton of name calling lol.

I agree that it's kinda on you to buy a tablet with only promises and no real binding type contract. But when in technology do you need that? Watching the evolution of Android and then looking at the fact RIM can't release an email client is kinda nuts. 60 days has turned into a minimum of 10 months and people aren't allowed to be upset and post about it? Why not?

Part of the great thing about this forum other than the community is itself, is the reach it has. I bet there are plenty of RIM folks who take a look at this. Even if our opinion isn't valued at least it's being read.

The biggest thing for me is we were promised basic functions and haven't gotten them. Can some of them be pushed to us?? Probably! Do we even know how many developer apps are stuck in limbo because RIM wont approve them? It seems like they're just holding it in limbo. Worst part is the Hardware Playbook 2.0 will probably be out before the OS and we are going to be stuck with a device on the last leg of its life cycle without the basics that were promised to us.
    10-26-11 10:33 AM
    Damn it. I had a long post started and the damn keyboard disappeared while I was typing and instead of hitting the next letter I hit next thread and lost it all. I'll post my rant later when I get home and don't have to worry about such things.
    10-26-11 10:40 AM
    I guess I should put my PlayBook on the shelf next to my Apple Newton.
    10-26-11 10:47 AM
    Ahhh yes.. John is still stubborn on having a "one big major" update release for the Feb 2012 schedule, even though the devs on the Beta channel are already suggesting incremental updates to roll out minor features that are ready for primetime. What's up with that...
    10-26-11 10:49 AM
    I do not want to put a downer on this news, seriously I do not, but really? There are several reasons why this press release is completely worthless:

(1) Nobody who announces a date 4 months in the future has any real idea whether this will happen. They are just trying to appease the millions of dissatisfied users. Do you know what is going to happen in 4 days, let alone 4 months? In the software industry 4 months is like 40 years!

(2) RIM did not say anything explicitly-remember they had previously said 'they expected' a late summer release. They are still saying 'expected' because, as I said, nobody has a clue what is going to happen this far ahead.

(3)This announcement is from RIM- they have a totally unreliable track record when it comes to the Playbook.

(4) OS2 was never a rumour. It has to happen because a whole series of phones are going to be released based on this software. Which hopefully will keep RIM alive.

I love my Torch 9810 I have to tell you, before anyone says I am a RIM hater. I have been a Blackberry user and fan for 8 years.

On the other hand...maybe RIM is saying February to be cautious...perhaps it will be a surprise Christmas present?
    10-26-11 10:51 AM
    god, rim are just SO bad at what they do. so bad. yes they make good products, no one is disputing that, but they really need to clean up management, cause this is just pathetic. when the main issue is public confidence you do not go around making statements like leapfrogging, etc, when you know full well that your product isn't even close to being ready.

clean up management! this is pathetic!!! rim shares down 10% in the last 2 days, disgusting...
    JoshReuben likes this.
    10-26-11 10:54 AM
    Yikes, I'm glad to see there is some good discussion without a ton of name calling lol.

I agree that it's kinda on you to buy a tablet with only promises and no real binding type contract. But when in technology do you need that? Watching the evolution of Android and then looking at the fact RIM can't release an email client is kinda nuts. 60 days has turned into a minimum of 10 months and people aren't allowed to be upset and post about it? Why not?

Part of the great thing about this forum other than the community is itself, is the reach it has. I bet there are plenty of RIM folks who take a look at this. Even if our opinion isn't valued at least it's being read.

The biggest thing for me is we were promised basic functions and haven't gotten them. Can some of them be pushed to us?? Probably! Do we even know how many developer apps are stuck in limbo because RIM wont approve them? It seems like they're just holding it in limbo. Worst part is the Hardware Playbook 2.0 will probably be out before the OS and we are going to be stuck with a device on the last leg of its life cycle without the basics that were promised to us.
    As a comparison, I have a Touchpad that I got recently and have installed Android Gingerbread and it's good, but I find it very cumbersome both OS and hardware. The Playbook OS is way more intuitive and simple, which I like for a touch screen OS. Also, the form factor of the Playbook is great especially for playing action based games where as playing a game like Samurai II on the Touchpad is not enjoyable, it's too damn big and heavy which can be said about most if not all 9-10" tablets.

In the Playbooks current for it's really really good and the current games and apps coming out everyday it keeps getting better and better. I think it already trumps all other tablets for my needs: Portability, simplicity, intuitiveness, browsing and performance. Could it be better? Of course, so could every piece of technology.

Curious to know, how many have truly used another tablet for an extended period of time and then measured the Playbook? I really liked my Playbook before, but I really like it more and appreciate it's strengths after I have used the Touchpad for the past couple of weeks (both web OS and Android). When using the Playbook, I don't feel this huge void or lack of features that many express. Guess I have low standards.... Beans and Spam anyone?
    10-26-11 11:06 AM
    It must blow to have a simple minded consumer-only mindset when it comes to technology. Gimme-the-best! NOW! Please for the love of God chill out. I work in broadcast television and I can tell you that every single product that major manufacturers bring out NEVER works out of the box. And we spend 100 times what you spent on your 'whatever you have'. Recently we purchased 3 cameras at 63,000 dollars each. First we had to pay up front 50%, then we had to wait 5 months for delivery, then we have to wait until December for a software update, then we have to wait until March for an upgrade board. And know what? This is par for the course in professional equipment. You folks are whining like little spoiled kids because your 700 dollar whatever doesn't wipe your **** the right way, and God-forbid, you were promised something by someone and they can't deliver to your liking.

Give it a rest.
    Umm... This is the only tablet in the world that can't do email. This is the only tablet out there that has no calendar. That doesn't make it 'professional grade' - I'm a business user who requires offline scheduling and communications solutions when I'm flying up north, or trans-pacific. You know what the $700 Playbook is good for these situations? A photo-frame. A toy.
    10-26-11 11:08 AM
    [QUOTE=On the other hand...maybe RIM is saying February to be cautious...perhaps it will be a surprise Christmas present?[/QUOTE]

Under promise, over deliver... Now that's one nifty concept!
    AshleyBhagwanani likes this.
    10-26-11 11:08 AM
    . . . the millions of dissatisfied users.
    We're talking about the PlayBook here, right? At best, it's the million of dissatisfied users.

On the other hand...maybe RIM is saying February to be cautious...perhaps it will be a surprise Christmas present?
    Ever the optimist, huh?
    10-26-11 11:11 AM
    i'm done man..i'm done. RIM dropped the ball here.

As a result...

Anyone interested in a 64GB playbook PM me basically brand new...serious inquires only.
    kingest_kong and JoshReuben like this.
    10-26-11 11:14 AM
    This is the only tablet in the world that can't do email. This is the only tablet out there that has no calendar. That doesn't make it 'professional grade' - I'm a business user who requires offline scheduling and communications solutions
    Curious, do you have a Blackberry? If so, it's WAY more productive to schedule and communicate (email) on your Blackberry versus using the Playbook or any tablet. The fact the Playbook is only a good tablet without a Blackberry to pair it with - I knew when I bought it.

I prefer to email, bbm, memos, notes on my BB. Surf, read, games, video on my PB.
    10-26-11 11:19 AM
    I wonder how many developers are excited about this delay. All this means is that the developer will spend time creating apps for a device that very few will buy or continue to use. So sad RIM is going this route. I still like the tablet but OS 2 will make me like it better. I don't know if I will feel the same 3 months from now.
    10-26-11 11:20 AM
    Umm... This is the only tablet in the world that can't do email. This is the only tablet out there that has no calendar. That doesn't make it 'professional grade' - I'm a business user who requires offline scheduling and communications solutions when I'm flying up north, or trans-pacific. You know what the $700 Playbook is good for these situations? A photo-frame. A toy.
    That is what makes RIM laughable..they call this product "professional-grade". Seriously? If that is what passes for "professional-grade" at RIM, it is no wonder the company is failing.
    kingest_kong likes this.
    10-26-11 11:20 AM
    Its been good folks...great device, disappointing people behind it. There are too many offerings coming up that will make me stick around with the playbook.
    CommanderElvis likes this.
    10-26-11 11:30 AM
    As a comparison, I have a Touchpad that I got recently and have installed Android Gingerbread and it's good, but I find it very cumbersome both OS and hardware. The Playbook OS is way more intuitive and simple, which I like for a touch screen OS. Also, the form factor of the Playbook is great especially for playing action based games where as playing a game like Samurai II on the Touchpad is not enjoyable, it's too damn big and heavy which can be said about most if not all 9-10" tablets.

In the Playbooks current for it's really really good and the current games and apps coming out everyday it keeps getting better and better. I think it already trumps all other tablets for my needs: Portability, simplicity, intuitiveness, browsing and performance. Could it be better? Of course, so could every piece of technology.

Curious to know, how many have truly used another tablet for an extended period of time and then measured the Playbook? I really liked my Playbook before, but I really like it more and appreciate it's strengths after I have used the Touchpad for the past couple of weeks (both web OS and Android). When using the Playbook, I don't feel this huge void or lack of features that many express. Guess I have low standards.... Beans and Spam anyone?
    Lol, not low standards it just fits you which is fine. I don't think a lot of us are upset because it doesn't fit. I bolded a few items I completely agree with.

Reasons why I want a standalone email app is because I don't want to have to have a bunch of browser windows open. Simple things that bother me and I was overlooking because you kept hearing... it's coming. It's starting to look like it never will and its frustrating because I love the form factor and the UI. I don't want to switch and no I'm not gonna make , "thats it Im done" post but I think its cool I can vent.

I used quite a few tablets actually for an extended period of time. I could compare to the Xoom, Acer tab (first model) and Ipad. They all have their strengths. I found the playbook gets as sluggish as the next when opening multiple windows to surf the web, all of them have cr!pware, all of them have little glithces... etc...

I'm just venting about my frustration about the lack of delivery and execution.
    10-26-11 11:30 AM
    Truly Pathetic!!!! They get our hopes up and then pull the rug out from under us....time and time again. They have lost all credibility with their broken promises, how could anyone believe a word they say about the future of any products? I sure don't!!!!!
    10-26-11 11:47 AM
    I'm just venting about my frustration about the lack of delivery and execution.
    I hear you and can understand. Lack of delivery and execution is totally valid.

After Devcon, there are signs of change that hopefully shows that RIM has learned something about their mistakes. The main lesson I take from OS 2.0 not being released is they're not willing to release half baked software which is the main critique about the Playbook. RIM is at a major crux and only time will tell if they can turn around and start delivering and executing. Hopefully in a years time all this will be looked back on as growing pains. Only time will tell.

Perhaps you should do a clean wipe and reinstall the OS if you haven't already? I find with all devices, a clean install can shake some of the bugs out and run faster and smoother.
    10-26-11 11:47 AM
    We're talking about the PlayBook here, right? At best, it's the million of dissatisfied users.

Ever the optimist, huh?
    Hyperbole I suppose and for convenience, but yes you're right! LOL. 'Hundreds of thousand of dissatisfied users' just does not have the same ring....Of course if there were millions, then OS2 would have already been released.....I'm sure im going to be punished by someone for saying that, but what the heck?
    10-26-11 11:50 AM
    I was genuinely hoping that the PB would some day soon become the product that it should be, from a business and a consumer perspective, but being honest with myself I very much doubt they'll hit their 'expected' date of Feb 2012.

For me the phantom release date for OS2 is just getting nearer and nearer to when Windows 8 may well be out, and to be blunt Windows 8 on a tablet is going to kill the PB stone dead and potentialy kill off a major part of the Android tablet market. I realy want a great tablet and OS to come out that I can use in a business environment, and Windows 8 is shaping up to be everythign I wanted the PB to be.

Due to the security (Common Criteria etc) of them I'll be using BBOS 6 and 7 phones against BES for many years to come, at least until a comparable solution arrives, but the PB for me is dead and buried
    10-26-11 11:51 AM
    Well, that's it for me. I'll eat the loss of the $700 I spent on the basis of RIM's empty promises about Android, native email and the other features that motivated my purchase. But that is the last PENNY that RIM will see from me for any device, after many years and at least half a dozen handsets. It's pure Android for me from here on out.

And, if anyone launches a class action, I'll be signing up.

#epicfail.
    kingest_kong likes this.
    10-26-11 11:59 AM
    Kudos to BGR to breaking this story. Just giving due credit to them, as the naysayers said nay to the creditability...

Good work BGR!
    pattste likes this.
    10-26-11 12:01 PM
486 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD