I can't wait for the markets to open. This thing might sink faster than the Titanic.

Am I hoping for the demise of RIM? No, but it appears that this company hasn't changed one bit. They still treat their loyal customers like crap. They need to learn a lesson.
    You oughta get some t-shirts made with your signature line "I survived the Storm of 2008 and the PlayBook of 2011." I think you'd have lots of buyers.
    10-26-11 08:12 AM
    john sounds as blinded as blackjack does i think
    Only down about 7 or 8% from closing yesterday. Guess the markets don't really care at this point. It's almost as if it was expected that they'd screw up QNX.
    You oughta get some t-shirts made with your signature line "I survived the Storm of 2008 and the PlayBook of 2011." I think you'd have lots of buyers.
    Heck of an idea..Probably better than shorting stock at this point.
    10-26-11 08:13 AM
    sad news but wont ruin my day or next 4 months lol
    10-26-11 08:16 AM
    I was speaking to a RIM employee last week who works on the PB at a trade show here in Ottawa, and he was explaining to me that it isn't just the PIN that's causing issues. The QNX software will not communicate at all with BES because BES wasn't built that way.

They have an add on to BES that they are working on which will allow the communication to take place, but it's not there yet. I think that's the major stumbling point right now to having BBM working on their new BBX phones.
    The BlackBerry smartphones use protocols which are, or should be, platform agnostic when communicating with the BlackBerry Infrastructure and by extension to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. In the worst case, it is the BlackBerry Infrastructure software that might need to makes accommodations for any difference in protocol between the smartphone and the infrastructure, meaning between the BlackBerry Infrastructure and the BlackBerry Enterprise Server no changes are necessary. And Research In Motion claims to high the best and brightest engineers and programmers? Ha!
    10-26-11 08:21 AM
    Just goes to show that its the same old RIM Alec Saunders must either be a liar or incompetent if he was saying 4 days ago that OS 2.0 would be here by the end of the year.
    At the very least Alec Saunders must feel as though he has egg on his face after being overridden by his own bosses.
    10-26-11 08:36 AM
    new cheap nokias are using compressed data (fed thru nokia's server)..maybe similar to rim's BIS? its a new trend, and nokia have even more customers on the lower end, which is a big market for symbian-based (or win-mo based) messaging system.
    10-26-11 08:40 AM
    My take on reading this news yesterday:

I am owner of Playbook from day 1 and I make use of it most days. So I am getting my value from it now.

Moving OS/2.0 to Feb 2012 concerns me not becasue the functionality is desperately needed by myself or probably others in this forum, but what it possibly it means for us next year.

I am pretty sure RIM willl still be in tablet business next year and as such I fully expect a Playbook 2.0 to be released. The issue I see is now that OS/2.0 will be targetted at that new tablet which would naturally have more memory and better hardware ( it will have been a year ) etc.

With the Android player now embedded into the O/S - sounds like we lose a lot more memory than was ever anticipated. Well no matter... boosting sales of Playbook 1.0 with OS/2.0 was probably not likely....the ship has sailed away on that in this day and age of new is better. Why would tons of people grab a tablet that is 8-9 months old just becasue they added OS functionality. But do the OS/20 right- fill in all the gaps and show it on a new faster and robust hardware at the same time.

So I see that OS/2 which will probably be optimized and shine on the next version of Hardware version being targetted for our hardware. Many of us will be extremely reluctant to replace a one year tablet with a new one from RIM. But then the marketting will be targetted on new owners with hardware taht matches what otehrs are offereing in 2012 and finally OS feature that should have been there from day 1.

As a side note: QNX is not the problem... they seemed to have ported the basic OS fast but the issues are all RIM in Waterloo in making use of the OS. They can't seem to recode their core applications in a timely manner. I am sure QNX people cringe on comments we make re the OS as they getting blame for RIM screwing up.
    10-26-11 08:41 AM
    At the very least Alec Saunders must feel as though he has egg on his face after being overridden by his own bosses.
    Alec Saunders seems like the only person at RIM who actually understands the market and consumers. He stepped into a big steamy pile of a mess and seemed to be trying to turn around the Titanic. He and Kevin are probably mortified and for the first time see that Jim and Mike are absolutely clueless when it comes to this kind of a product and launch. Tye missteps are things they highlight in business schools as cautionary tales. I hope he will still try to fight for the PB and its development, but suspect he feels hung out to dry and like he's running up a huge steep hill at this point.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    10-26-11 08:44 AM
    Go business, RIM. Stick to it.
    Deliver first class and we'll be happy. Now you have a clear dead line: Wet the shirt, shake whatever you want, work 7/7, but deliver good and deliver on time.
    Es-tu fou?

Seriously, how can we believe anything management says about delivery dates?
    10-26-11 08:44 AM
    The BlackBerry smartphones use protocols which are, or should be, platform agnostic when communicating with the BlackBerry Infrastructure...
    While I would agree with you, strangely enough this is the second (third?) time I've read this exact comment over the last six months. I can't tell if that rep is simply repeating something he read elsewhere or if the issue is real, but would be nice to know firsthand what the real story is.
    10-26-11 09:00 AM
    Hahahahahaha hahaha hahahaha ahahahahahaah

This is too damn funny. I've been reading these forums, and at some point it almost became a joke that rim OFCOURSE would not release this in 2011. What's funny is I think a lot of people were almost half joking saying that, thinking hey this things been released months now, Norway they'll be idiotic enough to delay it again, after setting another bloody timeline. And yet here we are.

I also remember a post recently where someone had come in and said they won't release till 2012 and a lot of the rim defenders came in with usual banter like throwing the word troll around. Well looky who was actually right.

I had really really really hoped rim would get their act together, and that they would somehow defeat the naysayers and emerge victorious. Looks like rim can't tell their head from their *** at this point let alone release a new os. Would any company, let alone one that is already being kicked in by competitors, be able to come out with such a half baked product, with promises of 60 days which will ultimately turn into 10 months, and then be able to survive?? I think not.

Anyway this is just sad and funny. And I haven't read the whole 26 pages but from the half dozen pages I've read I haven't seen any rim defenders here. Either they've all been converted to trolls, or they're hiding somewhere in shame for having faith.
    10-26-11 09:07 AM
    Hilarious! I barely survived the Storm 2. I was smart enough to return the PB within my 14 day exchange period. I narrowly escaped that debacle. OS 2 in 2012, but no BBM. Really, that's your business plan for the future RIM? Can't wait to see next quarter's earnings.

I am surprised this thread hasn't been closed. The RIM propaganda machine in this forum is so powerful. There is such a concerted effort to shut down any negative speak on Obama, I mean the PB.
    10-26-11 09:07 AM
    I did a google search in the news and it appears a lot of outlets are reporting it. I think it'll get uglier than it already has, if thats even possible.
    It's on the front page of google news globe and mail article
    10-26-11 09:10 AM
    Hahahahahaha hahaha hahahaha ahahahahahaah

This is too damn funny. I've been reading these forums, and at some point it almost became a joke that rim OFCOURSE would not release this in 2011. What's funny is I think a lot of people were almost half joking saying that, thinking hey this things been released months now, Norway they'll be idiotic enough to delay it again, after setting another bloody timeline. And yet here we are.

I also remember a post recently where someone had come in and said they won't release till 2012 and a lot of the rim defenders came in with usual banter like throwing the word troll around. Well looky who was actually right.

I had really really really hoped rim would get their act together, and that they would somehow defeat the naysayers and emerge victorious. Looks like rim can't tell their head from their *** at this point let alone release a new os. Would any company, let alone one that is already being kicked in by competitors, be able to come out with such a half baked product, with promises of 60 days which will ultimately turn into 10 months, and then be able to survive?? I think not.
    Anyway this is just sad and funny. And I haven't read the whole 26 pages but from the half dozen pages I've read I haven't seen any rim defenders here. Either they've all been converted to trolls, or they're hiding somewhere in shame for having faith.
    that's the crux of the problem for RIM. They have been in freefall and have again demonstrated that they have some very serious leadership problems over there. To put out another half-backed product like the Storm and continue to allow their brand to be tarnished shows a willful determination to ruin the company. The PB should've been killed already just to keep RIM's brand from being tarnished any further. Who runs a company this way?

And then of course there are the under spec'd phones they keep releasing...at least they work.
    10-26-11 09:12 AM
    Hilarious! I barely survived the Storm 2. I was smart enough to return the PB within my 14 day exchange period. I narrowly escaped that debacle. OS 2 in 2012, but no BBM. Really, that's your business plan for the future RIM? Can't wait to see next quarter's earnings.

I am surprised this thread hasn't been closed. The RIM propaganda machine in this forum is so powerful. There is such a concerted effort to shut down any negative speak on Obama, I mean the PB.
    Congrats fellow survivor..I was involved in the rescue from the Storm 1, which I think was more catastrophic and took more lives than the Storm 2.

As far as the mods go, I think they are just as mad as everyone else is about being lied to. Who wouldn't be?
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-26-11 09:13 AM
    Too bad cause you are missing out on an awesome phone. Was out for dinner last light and a lady had an iPhone 4. We put the 9900 and iphone side by side. The crowd was in awe of the 9900. Oh these were all professional business people so it probably makes a difference as we were not comparing games.
    Hahaha I love these stupid anecdotal stories from fans.

The reason people are turning away from rim isn't because they're phones arent beautiful, it's because they can't trust a company anymore, or don't want to, that has deceived them, lied to them, can't release a decent product. Like I keep saying, the paradigm has changed. People don't just use their smartphones for email, they use them for ALOT more now, and we're not jut talking games. After 6 years of being a rim phone user for example, I finally found the apps I'd always wanted on the iPhone and still don't have them on bb (stock trading, a sophisticated portfolio tracking charting software, VoIP, etc).

People are realizing sure email is great, but you know what, maybe I can give up on 10% of the benefits bb has to gain 4 times the utility in another section. And also why buy products from a company so disorganized they can't get their developers or software team to release software on a deadline.
    10-26-11 09:16 AM
    I was hoping to get it sooner but frankly I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. When I can take it out of my kids hands that is. He loves playing games on it. Spiderman is the one he loves the most right now.

Mike L. said he learned his lesson about releasing something before it was ready to go. It seems he meant that. I think it is better not to launch something until it is awesome.

I did not buy my Playbook because it would have 2.0. At the time I did not even know what that was. I'm happy with my tablet now and when 2.0 is ready go ahead and launch it.
    10-26-11 09:20 AM
    Congrats fellow survivor..I was involved in the rescue from the Storm 1, which I think was more catastrophic and took more lives than the Storm 2.

As far as the mods go, I think they are just as mad as everyone else is about being lied to. Who wouldn't be?
    Also, did I read the story correctly that even when 2.0 is released, it still won't support BBM except via the bridge?
    10-26-11 09:23 AM
    So what you're basically saying is that the pb is a toy for toddlers and pre schoolers? Yeah seems about right. And managed by one of them as well it seems.

As for releasing half ready product....uhhhh...exactly what is the pb? Maybe not to your kids, but to everybody else here. A half finished product. Yes if they hadn't released this, and they wouldn't have to make promises and delays to avoid half finished products. And we wouldn't be in this mess. But they DID release it... And good management wouldn't come out after that and say hey guys, we know we released a half finished product, but the pieces you need to make it a fully finished product, well we're not going to release them until they're completely finished. No. When you have a half finished product and you've already made the mistake of releasing, you damn well make sure you get off your *** and finish it ASAP, not say well sorry we can't release a half finished update and delay things.

I know people hate the mention of apple here, but again, come on guys you're notnre inventing the wheel. There is a company in front of you that has shown you how to manage expectations, market things, etc. learn something from them. Yeah the first iPhone didn't have copy paste, but that was minor compared to the lack of native email on the pb. And I'd rather have incremental updates that add features every so often, rather than waiting for deadlines to be broken constantly and then maybe get a big boom product that suddenly has evening.

I was hoping to get it sooner but frankly I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. When I can take it out of my kids hands that is. He loves playing games on it. Spiderman is the one he loves the most right now.

Mike L. said he learned his lesson about releasing something before it was ready to go. It seems he meant that. I think it is better not to launch something until it is awesome.

I did not buy my Playbook because it would have 2.0. At the time I did not even know what that was. I'm happy with my tablet now and when 2.0 is ready go ahead and launch it.
    10-26-11 09:30 AM
    So what you're basically saying is that the pb is a toy for toddlers and pre schoolers? Yeah seems about right. And managed by one of them as well it seems.

As for releasing half ready product....uhhhh...exactly what is the pb? Maybe not to your kids, but to everybody else here. A half finished product. Yes if they hadn't released this, and they wouldn't have to make promises and delays to avoid half finished products. And we wouldn't be in this mess. But they DID release it... And good management wouldn't come out after that and say hey guys, we know we released a half finished product, but the pieces you need to make it a fully finished product, well we're not going to release them until they're completely finished. No. When you have a half finished product and you've already made the mistake of releasing, you damn well make sure you get off your *** and finish it ASAP, not say well sorry we can't release a half finished update and delay things.

I know people hate the mention of apple here, but again, come on guys you're notnre inventing the wheel. There is a company in front of you that has shown you how to manage expectations, market things, etc. learn something from them. Yeah the first iPhone didn't have copy paste, but that was minor compared to the lack of native email on the pb. And I'd rather have incremental updates that add features every so often, rather than waiting for deadlines to be broken constantly and then maybe get a big boom product that suddenly has evening.
    Correction: it's for "professional-grade" toddlers.
    10-26-11 09:33 AM
    NICE! Good I am glad it got pushed back. We will see some potential 'steals' for the hardware now. It'd be nice to have another one!
    10-26-11 09:43 AM
    I just got the PB because of the recent discounts, and I like it for what it is: a web browser that won't cook my lap while I watch "The Good Wife" like my MacBook Pro does.

I am also reading Steve Jobs biography on the Kobo app. Ironic.

I went to Staples yesterday and it was a sad scene: all the other tablets displayed beautifully in a row, on top of shelves and shelves of various accessories, cases, sleeves, screen protectors. The PB was around the back of the shelf, collecting dust.

As less and less people buy it and recognize it in the streets, I'm sure I'll start getting curious looks as I use it at the airport. I'll look like a hipster/technology-rebel and I'll leave people wondering why I chose this unusual tablet.

I think the PB best feature will be all the things that it doesn't do but people don't know.
    10-26-11 09:52 AM
    I personally like my Playbook in it's current form and OS 2.0 is a bonus to me, so I don't take this as bad news as many others will.

We on the forum are the loud minority in comparison to the 70 million BB users out there and most don't hang on every rumor and follow RIM day in and day out so I think when weighed against this it's better RIM get it 100% right than release OS 2.0/BBX at 75% or 80% finished and have critics and people on the forum rip it apart and do more damage to the Playbook and the new generation of phones before they are even released. RIM is damned if they do and damned if they don't at this point so not releasing OS 2.0 until it's finished, which will hopefully both wow and silence the critics, is the lesser evil of the two IMHO.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did RIM ever mention it would be out after DEVCON? If so, the disappointment is our own doing for getting our hopes up on rumors.
    houshinto#IM likes this.
    10-26-11 10:04 AM
486 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD