Okay that does it!
    My advice? This device has had its run. It is hardly going according to plan and is not doing RIM any good.
    Scrap it. Can it. Make a Playbook 2 with radio capabilities, with native everything like a standard Blackberry device. Even with a bigger screen.
    D.amn it re-think the whole thing and shut the co-fools up on ever talking about anything that is not coming out the following day.
    Oh no no no... i cant disagree more. Dumping this device and starting over would be a catastrophic mistake, in my opinion. That is exactly what rim was assuring everybody they wouldnt do, as that was the monumental screw up that took place with the storm 1 and 2.

This device was suppose to prove those days were over and that once they started something and sold hundreds of thousands of people on it, they would not screw over and abandon them like before. Drop this device and i am telling you RIM is ruined.

They are going to pay dearly enough as it is... with this latest "ha ha, we are doing it to you again, delayed till February!!!" disaster. They are going to be doing damage control from here on out. Quite frankly, i say its too late. Who will believe them ever again? Cry wolf and cry wolf....
    10-26-11 05:49 AM
    This device needs to be discontinued and OS 2 (which should be named BBX v1) needs to be released with some new hardware because the iPad 3 would be released around the same time.

Having PlayBook OS 2 and BBX is just going to cause confusion.

RIM have obviously bitten off more than they can chew and although I'm disappointed this is a good move. No native BBM will hurt them and promising it in a later release won't sit well considering all the failed promises to date.

Their stock is going to take a pounding and the two at the top should really consider stepping down right now.
    wcor likes this.
    10-26-11 05:57 AM
    Another interesting point that I read here somewhere on another thread is the likelihood that the new BBX phones will release WITHOUT BBM. If the PB can't have it in Feb, then the new BBX phones probably won't either.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the testicles!?
    10-26-11 06:05 AM
    as a non-BB phone owner i really don't care about BBM on the playbook, what i do care about is:

1. native apps for email, skype, etc
    2. QT & SDL for app development
    3. WebGL and Flash11 for improved web use

If I have to wait till February I will, but BB really need to get their act together quickly!
    +1
    This poster nailed it for me as well. The Playbook was my first foray into RIM device territory, and while it has many promising aspects, the lack of standalone email/calendar integration as many pointed out was a fatal flaw. That RIM is significantly delaying the release of these critical components until next year is I fear a death knell for the Playbook.
    jedibeeftrix likes this.
    10-26-11 06:14 AM
    Please write the sample letter and provide the CEO and higher staff email on it. I will send to them .
    thx.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Small issue there bruv, I can't find their emails.. Anyones other then generic ones...

Does anyone have any RIM executives email address?
    10-26-11 06:19 AM
    Oh no no no... i cant disagree more. Dumping this device and starting over would be a catastrophic mistake, in my opinion. That is exactly what rim was assuring everybody they wouldnt do, as that was the monumental screw up that took place with the storm 1 and 2.

This device was suppose to prove those days were over and that once they started something and sold hundreds of thousands of people on it, they would not screw over and abandon them like before. Drop this device and i am telling you RIM is ruined.

They are going to pay dearly enough as it is... with this latest "ha ha, we are doing it to you again, delayed till February!!!" disaster. They are going to be doing damage control from here on out. Quite frankly, i say its too late. Who will believe them ever again? Cry wolf and cry wolf....
    Bear in mind OS 2.0 is not a mere tweak but a major update to provide (belatedly) critically required functions to declare the Playbook a success. In terms of shelf time, the Playbook has had its time, an unsuccessful time. 2012 is time for the Playbook 2 (or an announcement at least). The Playbook is okay but there is little matter of the competition and sales to deal with. We all know how that has gone.
    If in 2012 RIM are still struggling to complete an old device they have had it.
    The point here is not quitting supporting it, **** no. Stop making it but give it OS 2.0 when that eventually comes out with the Playbook 2.
    In mid February Windows 8 tablets will be on the horizon (or even on our shelves). How does RIM intend to make a year old wifi only tablet that is widely deemed a failure a success then?
    Bite the bullet, move on but whatever you do give it OS 2.0.
    10-26-11 06:35 AM
    Another interesting point that I read here somewhere on another thread is the likelihood that the new BBX phones will release WITHOUT BBM. If the PB can't have it in Feb, then the new BBX phones probably won't either.

I believe the BBX phones should be fine as they will have their own PIN, the issue isn't that BBM won't run on the BBX platform its that they are struggling to get BBM messages to go to both the phone device and the playbook. i.e assigning 1 PIN to 2 devices effectively.
    10-26-11 06:44 AM
    Bear in mind OS 2.0 is not a mere tweak but a major update to provide (belatedly) critically required functions to declare the Playbook a success. In terms of shelf time, the Playbook has had its time, an unsuccessful time. 2012 is time for the Playbook 2 (or an announcement at least). The Playbook is okay but there is little matter of the competition and sales to deal with. We all know how that has gone.
    If in 2012 RIM are still struggling to complete an old device they have had it.
    The point here is not quitting supporting it, **** no. Stop making it but give it OS 2.0 when that eventually comes out with the Playbook 2.
    In mid February Windows 8 tablets will be on the horizon (or even on our shelves). How does RIM intend to make a year old wifi only tablet that is widely deemed a failure a success then?
    Bite the bullet, move on but whatever you do give it OS 2.0.
    If they pull a storm1 -> storm2 scenario again, I'm ditching RIM forever. They released an uncompleted playbook and once they think it's "good" enough they will just upgrade the hardware and re-release it? **** no, that isn't cool.

IF THEY PULL ANY STUNT LIKE THAT, I WILL LEAVE RIM FOREVER.

As i've said already 3 times, RIM is a sinking ship and we are being taken for one very long ride and it's not going to end well.
    chrism_scotland likes this.
    10-26-11 06:44 AM
    If they pull a storm1 -> storm2 scenario again, I'm ditching RIM forever. They released an uncompleted playbook and once they think it's "good" enough they will just upgrade the hardware and re-release it? **** no, that isn't cool.

IF THEY PULL ANY STUNT LIKE THAT, I WILL LEAVE RIM FOREVER.

As i've said already 3 times, RIM is a sinking ship and we are being taken for one very long ride and it's not going to end well.
    I agree I don't think it would be fair of them to scrap the PB1 and replace it with a PB2 and just cut off those users of the PB1, I think that would prove to everyone that RIM don't really give a stuff about their customers.
    10-26-11 06:48 AM
    this makes me laugh how many times have we said rim needs to hit one out of the park this time i lost count even kevin has said it hundres of times and everytime they go up to bad a single drive!!!!!!!!

the playbook was supposed to be a out of the park hit everyone was saying let them take there time dont rush it we need a home run and a single drive

it seems like every updated rim takes there time and we all say o let take there time they need to hit one out of the park and gues what single run or foul ball or strike

if you count all the mistakes rim has made starting from the storm one (to me that was like a first round prospect pick going to bat for the first time in the big game and and striked right out) and that is actually were i think they started screwing up they are litterally at the bottom of the 9th inning with one out and there losing the gaem by 1

what do you think kevin
    10-26-11 07:00 AM
    I can't wait for the markets to open. This thing might sink faster than the Titanic.

Am I hoping for the demise of RIM? No, but it appears that this company hasn't changed one bit. They still treat their loyal customers like crap. They need to learn a lesson.
    CommanderElvis likes this.
    10-26-11 07:02 AM
    I can't wait for the markets to open. This thing might sink faster than the Titanic.

Am I hoping for the demise of RIM? No, but it appears that this company hasn't changed one bit. They still treat their loyal customers like crap. They need to learn a lesson.
    Let's see if the mainstream media pick up on it. It could get very ugly very quickly, or people may say "meh - who cares?".
    10-26-11 07:06 AM

Current stock price is USD$22.28, I hope it slides down to USD$15 by days end.. That's the wake up call I think RIM needs.

I've never adamantly wanted a company to fail so hard until the news I received. Today, I finally realized how poorly RIM treats us and it's time for a change. If this was any other company they would have gone bankrupt years ago but because of the loyal customer base (us), they seem to stay afloat, well I think we need to boycott RIM for awhile.

Seriously, if we don't do something about it this time, it will happen again... and again... and again...
    10-26-11 07:07 AM
    Let's see if the mainstream media pick up on it. It could get very ugly very quickly, or people may say "meh - who cares?".
    I did a google search in the news and it appears a lot of outlets are reporting it. I think it'll get uglier than it already has, if thats even possible.
    10-26-11 07:13 AM
    Why don't we give John an email so that he himself can explain the delay on the OS 2? After all, he's the Project Manager and he said on the forum he never leaves an email unread.

(I'm just in it for the hate mails actually.. Okay, okay, fine.. The right term is concern)
    Last edited by peter_betos; 10-26-11 at 07:19 AM.
    10-26-11 07:13 AM

It certainly would.

If the BBX phones didn't have BBM, then I doubt anyone would buy them. Here in the UK, RIM phones have the majority market share and in the reports I've read it's BBM that is a major selling feature - especially amongst the young, coz texts cost money and BBM is free!

From what I've heard, the problem seems to be related to the phone PIN and the Playbook having a different PIN and the architecture not supporting multiple PINs on a single connection. So I reckon the BBX phones will have BBM, because there's only one device & PIN involved... but it doesn't get me any closer to BBM on my Playbook.
    10-26-11 07:19 AM
    I'm just wondering what the delay is that is going to make this take another four months to come out. I understand they were having trouble with BBM, so they took it out....so what else is causing them so many problems that it will be four more months until we see it. (I'm assuming that by February 2012, they are talking end of February, not beginning).
    10-26-11 07:23 AM
    Why don't we give John an email so that he himself can explain the delay on the OS 2? After all, he's the Project Manager and he said on the forum he never leaves an email unread.

(I'm just in it for the hate mails actually.. Okay, okay, fine.. The right term is concern)
    I hope John likes my email.
    10-26-11 07:26 AM
    It certainly would.

If the BBX phones didn't have BBM, then I doubt anyone would buy them. Here in the UK, RIM phones have the majority market share and in the reports I've read it's BBM that is a major selling feature - especially amongst the young, coz texts cost money and BBM is free!

From what I've heard, the problem seems to be related to the phone PIN and the Playbook having a different PIN and the architecture not supporting multiple PINs on a single connection. So I reckon the BBX phones will have BBM, because there's only one device & PIN involved... but it doesn't get me any closer to BBM on my Playbook.
    I was speaking to a RIM employee last week who works on the PB at a trade show here in Ottawa, and he was explaining to me that it isn't just the PIN that's causing issues. The QNX software will not communicate at all with BES because BES wasn't built that way.

They have an add on to BES that they are working on which will allow the communication to take place, but it's not there yet. I think that's the major stumbling point right now to having BBM working on their new BBX phones.
    10-26-11 07:26 AM
    I'm just wondering what the delay is that is going to make this take another four months to come out. I understand they were having trouble with BBM, so they took it out....so what else is causing them so many problems that it will be four more months until we see it. (I'm assuming that by February 2012, they are talking end of February, not beginning).
    As somebody pointed out pages ago in this thread, the statement from RIM said nothing at all about Android when OS 2 finally is released. This means that they are unwilling to make a public commitment to Android in OS 2. The fact that it's in OS 2 beta cannot be interpreted as a commitment to keeping it there.

It's possible that getting Android to work properly (without eating up too much memory) is one of the big technical obstacles. By issuing the Feb. date without promising Android support they're giving themselves four months to get it done and also giving themselves permission to abandon Android if they can't.

I simply can't imagine that the omission of any mention of Android was just an oversight.
    chrism_scotland and LewLew23 like this.
    10-26-11 07:31 AM
    This has made jumping ship so much easier, as of yesterday I had decided on a 9900 as I liked the bridge feature... No More!

As of today another brand has been ordered, it already has the feature you promise and don't deliver!

Bye Bye Rim you've lost the plot!
    Too bad cause you are missing out on an awesome phone. Was out for dinner last light and a lady had an iPhone 4. We put the 9900 and iphone side by side. The crowd was in awe of the 9900. Oh these were all professional business people so it probably makes a difference as we were not comparing games.
    10-26-11 07:39 AM
    I agree I don't think it would be fair of them to scrap the PB1 and replace it with a PB2 and just cut off those users of the PB1, I think that would prove to everyone that RIM don't really give a stuff about their customers.
    You just don't get it do you... This version of the PlayBook will still be supported by RIM as it is perfectly capable of running BBX when it is released. Kind of like the iPads and the different OS'

It is just that this device has seen so much failure that no amount of magic will be able to resurrect it in the eyes of the consumers and the media especially a mere software update.

By discontinuing the device and releasing a new model when BBX or PlayBook OS 2 is ready they effectively start from a clean slate.
    10-26-11 07:54 AM
    You just don't get it do you... This version of the PlayBook will still be supported by RIM as it is perfectly capable of running BBX when it is released. Kind of like the iPads and the different OS'

It is just that this device has seen so much failure that no amount of magic will be able to resurrect it in the eyes of the consumers and the media especially a mere software update.

By discontinuing the device and releasing a new model when BBX or PlayBook OS 2 is ready they effectively start from a clean slate.
    I had little doubt that RIM would support the PB1, and I know right now its more than capable of running BBX but that doesn't mean that come PB2 that will still be the case.

If RIM were to launch new PB hardware the smart money would be on upgrade in specs just like the Android tablets are about to have, Quad Core, more RAM.

Its not about the OS running on the PB1 it whether RIM will actually give us it, would make more financial sense for them to screw us and make us buy a PB2... I don't really trust that RIM won't just screw us.
    10-26-11 08:00 AM
    Too bad cause you are missing out on an awesome phone. Was out for dinner last light and a lady had an iPhone 4. We put the 9900 and iphone side by side. The crowd was in awe of the 9900. Oh these were all professional business people so it probably makes a difference as we were not comparing games.

Hopefully that room was big enough to cover the mass exodus of people leaving after the Blackberry outage.
    10-26-11 08:06 AM

I hope John likes my email.
    Man, that was fast.. I'm guessing you used a fufufufu image and a lot of censored words on that mail..
    10-26-11 08:10 AM
486 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD