happy with it as it is. would like more, yes but can wait. don't care about native anything since i will always have a bb phone (autocorrection wud b nice).
    10-25-11 10:06 PM
    No native BBM ?? How about the BBM Groups via Bridge ??
    10-25-11 10:11 PM
    After being extremely disappointed by the new release date that RIM has given for the new playbook 2.0 OS, I started thinking about the timing of everything. Apparently RIM has be having difficulty making multi-device BBM support work, does anyone else think that this is what they might have been trying to roll out that ended up causing the big Blackberry outage. Think about it, it was a week before DevCon and if they were planning on launching the Playbook OS 2.0 they would need this working. But as it ended up causing a huge outage, they had to revert back . They cover up the outage by saying it was a caused by a core switch failure and then quickly created a �Developers Beta� for DevCon. Now because they still have to figure out what went wrong and how to make it work, they have pushed back the launch of Playbook OS 2.0

This is just a thought I had, I have absolutely no evidence to support it. But the timing seems weird.

Very well could of been. Seen it before.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    10-25-11 10:13 PM
    It seems that RIM has become completely unable to produce code. I can't even imagine the chaos that must be going on in there. The fact that they have been completely unable to start picking off, one by one, even the smallest of deficiencies - like stereo bluetooth, spell check, ..etc.. you know the drill - says quite a lot to me about the complete dysfunction of the software side of their operations. I loaded OS2 developer preview. It scared me to see how glitchy and unpolished it was at this late date. I thought to myself they must be hiding the goods for some reason. Now I'm afraid that is actually as far as they have gotten. Wow.
    I'm not sure your serious but I think you're absolutely on to something. They simply don't have any talented employees that can engineer programming.
    10-25-11 10:17 PM
    Taking a step back for a moment, like many of you, I was so excited this day. The day my Playbook pre-order actually had an expected delivery date.

PRE-SALE BLACKBERRY 64GB
    Item No.: 321972 Price: $699.98/each
    Expected Delivery: 04/12/2011 by Staples Courier $699.98

Subtotal:$699.98
    Delivery:FREE
    Tax:$43.75

Total:$743.73

$743.73. That's what we paid, the early adopters, who wanted the big 64 gig model. For what? To be misled by executives who refuse to deliver and are instead full of hot air?

Before this, I owned four different BB's, from the original bold, a curve, the 9700, the torch 9800... each, in their own way, better than the previous model. For the past 5 years managing a large IT department, I've swayed dozens and dozens of my employees to go the BB route. No more. I can only say I'm done. I give up. RIM, you have such potential, but absolutely zero execution. It's a shame really, I can only hope now Google (not Microsoft) takes a gamble on you and tries to take over. Once Google is at the helm, maybe we'll see 2.0 actually go somewhere... BBM will available in the Market one day.

After reading this annoucement from RIM tonight, I gave away the unlocked torch and bought an HTC Sensation 4G. Netflix, wifi network media streaming via CIFS, endless app options, Skype, core features that should exist on every tablet and smartphone, all there, today. A year from now, OS 2.0 will be out, many of these features available today in Droidland will still be unavailable on the PB. BBM can only get you so far. Now I hear Sony has a new Droid tablet out... as soon as I can find someone to unload this PB on, it'll be my next purchase.

Thanks for the memories RIM.
    10-25-11 10:18 PM
    The scariest part of the announcement by RIM is this: "We expect to deliver the new BlackBerry PlayBook OS to customers in February 2012"

With RIMs track record, one has to seriously ponder if "expect to deliver" actually means they are having so many problems with OS2 that they have no rational idea if and when OS2 will ever arrive.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-25-11 10:18 PM
    I am not posting this to argue your point but just to point out...AT&T has historically been one of the worst companies ever to exist. I would look to a divorce there first and then choose my device platform. Ma Bell will always suck...she never has known any other path.
    LOL yeah I see your point. Funny thing is I actually switched to AT&T to get the 9800. I was originally on Verizon. Gotta laugh at that
    10-25-11 10:22 PM
    After being extremely disappointed by the new release date that RIM has given for the new playbook 2.0 OS, I started thinking about the timing of everything. Apparently RIM has be having difficulty making multi-device BBM support work, does anyone else think that this is what they might have been trying to roll out that ended up causing the big Blackberry outage. Think about it, it was a week before DevCon and if they were planning on launching the Playbook OS 2.0 they would need this working. But as it ended up causing a huge outage, they had to revert back . They cover up the outage by saying it was a caused by a core switch failure and then quickly created a �Developers Beta� for DevCon. Now because they still have to figure out what went wrong and how to make it work, they have pushed back the launch of Playbook OS 2.0

This is just a thought I had, I have absolutely no evidence to support it. But the timing seems weird.

Saying a core switch failed and without a backup that was functional sounds a lot worse for RIM to admit than saying BBM caused an issue. They are an enterprise provider first and foremost. I doubt they'd sacrifice that much of their rep just to avoid admitting a BBM issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-25-11 10:22 PM
    I assumed it was the new mail client being installed since the mail was piling up.
    10-25-11 10:23 PM
    I feel that the people that are happy with the pb in the state it's in now have no idea what the tablets are capable of. You should not be happy with what they have done at all, and by saying you are shows RIM they can keep on doing what they are doing.
    Or we could just be happy because it does what we want in its current form.

Seriously, just because it hasn't been pushed to its max yet doesn't mean we can't be happy in its current form. Take my car for example. It's capable of producing about 25% more HP and Torque from its engine with some electronic and hardware modifications. But guess what? I haven't done it yet and am happy with it in its curent form. I'm fully aware that it is capable of much more, but am happy with what it is....

I will admit your point still stands about RIM's lack of any sort of decently quick progress on the device, and perhaps a distinction needs to be made: you can be happy with the device but unhappy with RIM and it's lack of initiative to writing code in a relatively reasonable period of time. It's possible to feel both.
    10-25-11 10:23 PM
    I'm with the "not jumping ship but not continuing to support RIMM" crowd.

Its delayed times between development and availability to the public is unacceptable, especially in a technology-based world moving at the speed of light. I mean, the Torch 9810 is a perfect example - it was the perfect slider phone with physical keyboard/touchscreen ...except it came out a year and a half too late. In terms of technology, A LOT happens in 18 months. Released a tablet, wait 10 MONTHS for a slightly improved OS. I'm sorry but anyone can agree that RIMM is failing to keep pace with the market in which it dwells.

I do realize the biased environment I am posting in (CrackBerry Nation) and how I am basically pissing into the wind but I have defended RIMM to the death since day one. Lately, however, I have found it harder to with each day passing.

For me, the 9900 will make or break my relationship with RIMM (if it will ever be announced and subsequently released on T [AT&T]). Like I said, my confidence is slowly diminishing...
    10-25-11 10:25 PM
    Saying a core switch failed and without a backup that was functional sounds a lot worse for RIM to admit than saying BBM caused an issue. They are an enterprise provider first and foremost. I doubt they'd sacrifice that much of their rep just to avoid admitting a BBM issue.

Redundancy will handle a power outage or failed storage, but it doesnt protect you from having a group of guys who love to "Read the directions if you have a problem" loading new code onto your server.
    10-25-11 10:27 PM
    I paid $130 for my PB (well, $230 minus the $100 RIM gift card I'm still waiting on); and I am disappointed in this news. I won't be getting rid of it, since I probably couldn't get what even little I did pay back, but the PB as is, is useful for what I'm using it for today. I fully expect RIM will not make the Feb 2012 date provided.

Off to change my avatar to something more appropriate.
    10-25-11 10:28 PM
    RIM did promise a lot of things and the fact that people are angry because they did not deliver does not makes us children, RIM plainly ripped us off.
    I usually buy stuff that exists, not stuff that doesn't. You shouldn't buy an expectation without a contract. That's just bad business!
    10-25-11 10:30 PM
    In other news, I heard today that RIM is releasing a FREE PlayBook app called "Angry Customers". In the previews, you can launch Jim & Mike in to RIM HQ.
    10-25-11 10:35 PM
    I'm not sure your serious but I think you're absolutely on to something. They simply don't have any talented employees that can engineer programming.
    Perhaps there are lots of talented programmers at RIM capable of doing what is needed. What might actually be causing issues are turf wars, though it is a guess. Perhaps the QNX devs are not getting the cooperation from the old school BB OS folks on this stuff. I mean stuff's supposed to be documented, but then there is always the core insight and knowledge of certain people that is needed to make things come together-- people that understand how everything fits together and functions.

Especially with OS7 being essentially the best thing RIM has going right now, and the relative low performance of the PlayBook sales wise, the BB Java OS "teams" are still what's driving revenue for RIM.

I have heard others say once QNX is RIM's bread and butter the old school BB OS Java coders are gone? So there is incentive for protecting turf.

10-25-11 10:37 PM
    I regret having bought the playbook. A lot people expecting the release, but RIM always is delay comparing competence...
    10-25-11 10:48 PM
    I can't believe this. I honestly thought it would be out by christmas the latest for sales. Clearly such a hugeee dissappointment on rims part. There is no hope whatsoever for this company. Watch their stock plummet even more by the end of the week.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 10:52 PM
    I'm done! I looked forward to this device more than anyone that's ever come out. It has the potential to be the best tablet on planet, but my interest in it is gone. I don't care if its the greatest thing since sliced bread when OS2 comes out in September next year, as far as I'm concerned they can keep it. RIM blew it big time! Delay after delay, and when it does finally get updated it won't have what they promised in the beginning. I'll be skipping any further articles, updates or apps that have anything to do with the Playbook. I'm not even mad at this point, guess I'll just pickup a Ipad 3 in the spring and call it a day. (And I don't even like Ipads). Go figure....
    10-25-11 10:55 PM
    I'm done. Not sure what else to say... others have said it here. If RIM is reading, know this... i just bought a second PB with the intention of giving it to my son as a christmas gift. I bought it knowing i had a couple of weeks to return it... the decision one way or another depended on actually delivering what was promised - a mind blowing OS2. This bit of new means it's going back tomorrow. I'll probably sell the tiny bit of stock i have left too. good luck getting me back as a future customer. it will take a lot.
    10-25-11 10:56 PM
    Whether you all continue to be optimistic about the PlayBook or not, you have to admit taking 10 months to get a tablet fully baked and ready to compete is not acceptable.

Considering devices in the smartphone and tablet markets tend to be on product cycles of around a year, by the time the PlayBook is fully "ready", the competition would've moved on to higher res displays and quad cores.

The sad part is, when the PlayBook was first announced, everyone, BlackBerry fans or not, took notice of it and saw it's potential. Sadly, it appears the iron wasn't struck while it was hot.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    void11 likes this.
    10-25-11 11:00 PM
    F#@#%. I wish I was still within the 14-day return period or at least had the PSU on the box to sell my PB on eBay or Craigslist. I would sell the Playbook and would get a galaxy tab 7.7 instead. The promised Email/calendar/PIM was the only reason I bought the playbook. Boy how unwise I was.

Also, given how many times they've missed the deadlines they themselves set (e.g. 60-days, by the end of summer, Saunders' "by the end of fall", there was another guy from RIM who said "by the year's end"), I will really be surprised to see OS 2.0 released in February.

Anyway, if anybody is interested in a like new (a month old, hardly used, only 7 charge cycles) Playbook, PM me your offer. Again, I need all the features that we were promised, and if you are OK with the PB as it currently is and would like to get one, please, let me know. I am done. Samsung here I come
    10-25-11 11:04 PM
    Whether you all continue to be optimistic about the PlayBook or not, you have to admit taking 10 months to get a tablet fully baked and ready to compete is not acceptable.

Considering devices in the smartphone and tablet markets tend to be on product cycles of around a year, by the time the PlayBook is fully "ready", the competition would've moved on to higher res displays and quad cores.

The sad part is, when the PlayBook was first announced, everyone, BlackBerry fans or not, took notice of it and saw it's potential. Sadly, it appears the iron wasn't struck while it was hot.

That's 10 months since it came out. It was revealed 6 months before it came out and had been in the works before that. So it will be a year and 4 months in the public eye before it may be fully baked, maybe...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 11:07 PM

I am afraid they don't really care about the Playbook. They just needed guinea pigs to test their new OS before it's released on the phones.
    10-25-11 11:07 PM
    I would love to add to the maelstrom of mixed response to this news for what its worth. I love my PB coupled with my 9900 in bridged mode. Its been like this at inception and any BB fan would not ever be without their handset, PB or not. Its a marriage. As always anticipated and always known. Many of us are "married", to our jobs, our life styles and to a significant other, our soulmate. Our communication devices are very similar to a marriage. We commit and put so much on the line for a chosen means of outward existance. We decide initially on the attributes and style and personality and then pull the trigger. I commit. RIM is my communication partner and I am still in love with everything she promised. Having to click Bridge on my hand set and PB for email or BBM is never been off from what we have all at first fell in love with .. the fact that she has not worn the victoria secret out fit she promised on our honey moon has not made her any less sexy.
    Barljo likes this.
    10-25-11 11:08 PM
486 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD