Why is anyone surprised by this? When has RIM in the last several years released anything on time or in a decent time frame? I have defended them, and will still use their phones. But they are lost in the tablet game. Their slogan should be: "Amateur hour began 6 months ago, and will continue in 2012.".

Why would anyone in there right mind by this tablet from now until next Feb? The iPad 3 will be coming out soon then, there will be the Kindle Fire, and from the looks of ice cream sandwich and Honeycomb together, Android might actually be worth looking into. The PB will is and always will be for die hard blackberry fans that are loyal to the brand.
    Not true, the main reason I bought PB is because it was cheap when I bought it. I'm using it mainly for browsing, movies, music and reading. 299 for 64GB is a very fine price.
    10-25-11 09:11 PM
    n. pl. sheep

a. A person regarded as timid, weak, or submissive.
    b. One who is easily swayed or led.

Both of which you would fall under.

What am I doing here? Responding to your ludicrous statement that anyone complaining about this is a child throwing a tantrum. Honestly, people like you hurt RIM more than help, it's people like you that give them a false sense of security and accomplishment.
    But you haven't convinced me. Don't I defy your definition?
    10-25-11 09:13 PM
    good thing my stores warranty has a 1 year over the counter exchange program, so i have till April to see if i like it or not, i'm not sure I would've been even somewhat happy with my purchase finding this out. theres no reason why they can't include native email, auto-correct and a few other nicknacks like a 0min backlight time out, and having youtube play a vid while in another tab to keep people happy for the time being.
    10-25-11 09:14 PM
    Sigh. The part that stupifies and amazes me is how the hardware is; after nearly a year still so damn spectacular. The software still has a way to go.

My guess is the price will surely come down; I will definitely be picking up a new (or used) one for cheap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 09:14 PM
    i'm not sure I would've been even somewhat happy with my purchase finding this out.
    Imagine being somebody like me that bought the full price 64 gig version on launch day... and is sitting here now with this device still in the shape it has embarrassingly been left in.

The words "feel kinda stupid" come to mind.

1) Those of you hoping for a QNX/BBX phone in 1Q12 either need to get real or get your prescriptions refilled. The PlayBook has been "beta" QNX all along and if they are pushing the 2.0 release out four months, there is NO WAY that the phone will be ready anything before Q312.
    i have been saying that in different words for a while now. By Feb (if you can BELIEVE that) it will have been ten months since launch... add pre launch and you get one year minimum they have been trying to figure this thing out. Its really a sorry ordeal.... But if you think they will miraculously get qnx phones out by the time they say they will... you are a fool.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 10-25-11 at 09:23 PM.
    10-25-11 09:17 PM
    Four months of improvements for RIM, the competition can do in one month. Remember the great airplane mode release?
    FF22 likes this.
    10-25-11 09:18 PM
    maybe they can give free Playbook apps as a gesture of good will to disappointed PB owners?
    Free apps like how they apologized for the wide outage? So far I've seen only 2 free apps. Yet they managed to list like 10+. When Sony gave out free games due to the hacking, it didn't take them a week to release all of them.
    10-25-11 09:19 PM
    Remember the great airplane mode release?
    hahahaha crap...
    10-25-11 09:20 PM
    while my phones are up for re-contract after six years there's no more BlackBerry for this puppy. I can't trust or waste investing time nor money in RIM, or sadly apps from honest developers. I love the BlackBerry concept but cannot wait for more broken promises coming out of Waterloo.
    10-25-11 09:22 PM
    But you haven't convinced me. Don't I defy your definition?
    Obviously you don't understand the term "sheep" in the way I'm using it. You're a RIM sheep, because RIM has obviously convinced you of the BS they're spouting.

I certainly hope that you don't get angry at Apple fans for defending iProducts to no end considering you're doing the same here.
    10-25-11 09:22 PM
    What really pisses me off, is that my PB is not functioning as well as it did when I bought it thanks to "Updates"
    10-25-11 09:23 PM
    Crackberry Kevin painted a very somber, pragmatic, and concise picture: RIM was on strike two with the bases loaded.

Why hasn't the stockholders brought these dated and myopic Co-CEOs to heel? PIM is a necessary evil and a staple of handheld devices. What are they waiting on, Christmas?

Let me tell you this: he who dares, wins (SAS motto). Sheer arrogance and being ensconced in hubris is no way to go through life. Our patience is almost at the end and they flop at DEVCON. Its absolutely foolish and will assuredly brook the ultimate destruction of RIM as they are constituted today.

Let me count the ways as a consumer I have seen consummate incompetence from RIM:

• Storm Flops
    • OS6 crashes
    • Playbook launch nosedives
    • Worldwide outages
    • DEVCON disappoints
    • AND NOW OS2 is PUSHED BACK UNTIL NEXT FREAKING YEAR

These things, my friends, are the hallmarks of a leadership that is: out of control, steeped in their hubris, steadfast in their absurdity, stuck in the box, and borderline insane. Its like they left their Playbooks on the sideline and forgot they were supposed to show up for their football game. No one was stepping in their limelight, no one was raining (or peeing) on their parade, or crapping in their meals. RIM flat out blew it.

P.T. Barnum couldn't script a better circus than the one at Waterloo. Maybe they need to take a retreat, grab a real leadership consultant, and have a serious Coming-To-Jesus meeting to get their **** together. Screw the dancing bears and simply get on with the program.

My friends, time for a Microsoft takeover. Those Co-CEOs and their leadership team just SCREWED RIM. The stock is gonna tank tomorrow.

Its over for RIM.
    Last edited by tstrike34; 10-25-11 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Applying current events and tense to an earlier crosspost
    WinningWithLogic likes this.
    10-25-11 09:23 PM
    You still steaming because you didn't know when Fall started and ended?
    Ha! Hardly..I guess since I work outdoors..I consider the end of fall when the snow starts flying. You mad that someone's pisssed in your Kool-aid?
    10-25-11 09:40 PM
    Well, this is quite a bit longer to wait, but I still enjoy my playbook and will continue to use it. Hoping when 2.0 is released it is worth the looong wait.
    10-25-11 09:41 PM
    Keeping my PB. Happy with my PB. But in NO way am I buying another RIM product again. I feel ashamed that I sold my mom on the 9930 even though she wanted an Android device. For $10 more a month on my phone plan, I'm switching to the iPhone 4S. I'm not gonna rely on the 9860 whenever AT&T decides to release it. As much as I supported them and sent them letters and ideas, I just can't rely on RIM anymore. This is ridiculous.

It's one thing to release a product late, that I can understand. It's a WHOLE another thing to constantly hype your customers up with a timeline (i.e. 60 days, by summer, shortly after devcon) to repeatedly disappoint them by extending the timeline. What real reputable company does that to their loyal customers?
    Last edited by LewLew23; 10-25-11 at 09:45 PM.
    10-25-11 09:42 PM
    Wow, is right. I'm on my forth bb phone and first pb. Every member of my family has bb phones. Glad I looked at CB tonight. I was just about to upgrade to a 64GB pb. Guess I'll save my money and look at other products. I dont see RIM lasting much longer.
    10-25-11 09:45 PM
    My 2 cents:

Do you guys remember how long it took for Apple's iOS to go from 1.0 to 2.1 (2.0 was unusable)?
    10-25-11 09:46 PM
    Careful, you're about to be slammed hard!
    it all depends on what your expectations are/were from the get go...i haven't ever found my pb to be lacking in anything, but as they say to each their own, so while not everyone will agree, and some may see the original os as being half-assed, i personally do not...while i appreciate the warning i think it all depends on ones expectations...

that is all that i was trying to say and perhaps i should have been more clear...
    grover5 likes this.
    10-25-11 09:47 PM
    You know who I am worried about?

The morale of the innocent RIM employees who will feel the wrath of their incompetent bosses. Such bosses who look at their employees as serfs instead of inspiring decent people to do innovative things. As a former mid level exec, I bet there is a culture of nepotism, cronyism, and good ole boys club that is stifling everything. Even Jim comes off as stilted.

The corporate culture at RIM *bleep*ing sucks and the stockholders gotta take charge right NOW!

Those employees need to be freed.
    olblueyez likes this.
    10-25-11 09:51 PM
    A month before the likely launch of the iPad 3? Not a very good idea. And you know what that means? No native email for at least 3 more months.
    10-25-11 09:54 PM
    Well, now I have to hope the pim is included in 2.0 since I won't buy another blackberry to bridge with in the future.

Was anyone really surprised to hear about the (now) february release date? Seriously? Even after all the previously promised release time frames? I think we all kinda knew this was gonna happen but we just didn't want to believe it. With that said, who really believes it will happen in february?

The BetaMax PlayBook is dead.
    Last edited by Send Again; 10-25-11 at 10:01 PM.
    10-25-11 09:55 PM
    My personal take on this is simple I think:

- When I bought the PlayBook, I knew what I was getting. At the time, I had my Torch and used that exclusively for email, calendar, etc. Bridge worked for me, so when I needed it, my stuff was there. But honestly, I never really used Bridge that much. Personally, I use my phone and laptop for email; my tablet is my music/video/browsing device.

App wise, again I don't do that much. The big disappointment for me was no Skype app (which I use quite often).

- That being said, I was excited to hear native apps within 60 days and Android by the end of the summer. Like most on this forum, I felt (and still do to some extent) that the PlayBook had great potential as a small little tablet. I mean, QNX was fresh and exciting for BlackBerry. There wasn't that many 7" tablets out, and for me, that was the perfect size for on-the-go. OTA updates from RIM was a huge change from the carrier-rolled out that always plagued my phone.

- Of course, it's now apparent that 60 days & end of summer = 10 months (if not more). That's pathetic. Especially considering they had 7 months between the demo and release of the PlayBook. Either coding a native email app takes 17 months to develop, or RIM (as usual) dropped the ball.

- Overall, this hurts RIM. DevCon was suppose to be a shining moment in their period of darkness. Sure they crawled out a little with OS7 devices, but here was a chance to show the world the next QNX Phone, OS 2.0 for the PlayBook, and all the other developer goodies. Instead, we got some developer goodies, but nothing consumer wise; nothing to bolster any more confidence in the company.

And now this.

- What this tells me is they need 4 months to put PIN and native apps on a QNX OS for the PlayBook. This means that undoubtedly QNX phones will be delayed (as theoretically they'd be developing for both at the same time due to same platform). Which means RIM, which needed to show off at the end of this year (now) and release early 2012, won't show off until early 2012 and probably release phones/PlayBook 2.0 (version not OS)/anything else until probably summer.

If they were swimming in cash and had hit targets in the past frequently, then not an issue. But when your cash pile is draining, confidence is low, it doesn't matter how many subscribers you have: doing nothing to entice them to stay with you while every other company continues to push their products out will not go over well (stockholders, stock, or numbers)

- So, am I pissed? Sure. I can understand delays, but telling your consumer and die-hard fans one thing and doing the complete freaking opposite doesn't show maturity, foresight, or reaffirm ability to run a company. Yes, it's not just the CEOs (tons of VPs, managers, developers, etc.), but they are the face of the company; they get first praise and first blame.

Will I dump my PlayBook? No. Again, for me it does what I need it to do as is (again minus Skype).

I honestly feel sad and embarrassed that this little device I love I can't recommend to anyone else due to other mitigating factors; it had/has potential, but I fear that this delay will only continue to drive the device into the list of failed devices.
    tstrike34 and FF22 like this.
    10-25-11 09:56 PM
    I feel that the people that are happy with the pb in the state it's in now have no idea what the tablets are capable of. You should not be happy with what they have done at all, and by saying you are shows RIM they can keep on doing what they are doing.

I can't remember the question on the beta zone survey but it was along the lines of: do you feel that this is up to par as a RIM product?(some one may be able to remember the actual question). I said no, because it's not. I wonder how many other people answered the same to that question. I think the only way I'll stick with RIM when the BBX phone comes out is if they have an ecosystem close to matching Apple in place and the phone is ahead of he competition.

I'm really sorry to those who paid full price for the PB. I hope they get back on board with the "steady cadence" of updates to give everyone atleast a little bit of what was promised. Then it wont seem like the pb was a total waste of money.
    10-25-11 09:58 PM
    Keeping my PB. Happy with my PB. But in NO way am I buying another RIM product again. I feel ashamed that I sold my mom on the 9930 even though she wanted an Android device. For $10 more a month on my phone plan, I'm switching to the iPhone 4S. I'm not gonna rely on the 9860 whenever AT&T decides to release it. As much as I supported them and sent them letters and ideas, I just can't rely on RIM anymore. This is ridiculous.

It's one thing to release a product late, that I can understand. It's a WHOLE another thing to constantly hype your customers up with a timeline (i.e. 60 days, by summer, shortly after devcon) to repeatedly disappoint them by extending the timeline. What real reputable company does that to their loyal customers?
    I am not posting this to argue your point but just to point out...AT&T has historically been one of the worst companies ever to exist. I would look to a divorce there first and then choose my device platform. Ma Bell will always suck...she never has known any other path.
    LewLew23 likes this.
    10-25-11 10:01 PM
    After being extremely disappointed by the new release date that RIM has given for the new playbook 2.0 OS, I started thinking about the timing of everything. Apparently RIM has be having difficulty making multi-device BBM support work, does anyone else think that this is what they might have been trying to roll out that ended up causing the big Blackberry outage. Think about it, it was a week before DevCon and if they were planning on launching the Playbook OS 2.0 they would need this working. But as it ended up causing a huge outage, they had to revert back . They cover up the outage by saying it was a caused by a core switch failure and then quickly created a �Developers Beta� for DevCon. Now because they still have to figure out what went wrong and how to make it work, they have pushed back the launch of Playbook OS 2.0

This is just a thought I had, I have absolutely no evidence to support it. But the timing seems weird.
    10-25-11 10:04 PM
486 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD