I have native email and bbm on my playbook. If you're a regular here you should already know how to via OS2 beta. Make as many excuses as you want. You just want any reason to ditch the playbook and get another device.

Seriously, the amount of complaining and self pontificating of rim's failure has gotton beyond tired.

Makes me really question the type of people who even go on these boards. All pessimistic, cynical, and self righteous it seems. Have some faith, humility, and perspective, honestly.
    Odiamond and rellyrellz like this.
    10-25-11 07:52 PM
    So we are now expecting a 10 month delay from launch to get basic features like email.

It kind of makes you wonder what Balsillie was thinking when he said "60 days." From 60 days to 10 months is one helluva delay.
    Read post 98. I think that explanation is plausible.
    10-25-11 07:53 PM
    Well, I don't know what to say except... anyone wanna buy a 9930 and PB? I'm officially done. Oh well, I knew what I was getting into - but 4 months away? Seriously? No way.
    Keep in mind that considering RIM's track record, 4 months is in no way a guaranteed date.
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-25-11 07:54 PM
    I have native email and bbm on my playbook. If you're a regular here you should already know how to via OS2 beta. Make as many excuses as you want. You just want any reason to ditch the playbook and get another device.

Seriously, the amount of complaining and self pontificating of rim's failure has gotton beyond tired.

Makes me really question the type of people who even go on these boards. All pessimistic, cynical, and self righteous it seems. Have some faith, humility, and perspective, honestly.
    What he said!!!

GO RIM GO
    10-25-11 07:54 PM
    Welcome to forums in general.
    dave1701 and peter9477 like this.
    10-25-11 07:55 PM
    That's just profoundly incorrect, pretty much everything you said.
    Agreed. A true leader can make things happen. I do however think some heads should start to roll at the mid level. If Jobs didn't like an employees answer to his question he would be toast. If you couldn't produce results you were outa there. If this changes at apple it will turn into another poor excuse for a company. Money doesn't always motivate an employee. Major changes need to happen.
    TheTechGuy likes this.
    10-25-11 07:55 PM
    At this rate, they'll never make it to February. Seriously regretting getting the 9900 to go with my PB now. Looks like this year might be my last with RIM.
    10-25-11 07:56 PM
    Thank you RIM for posting this update.

It may not be palatable, but the important point is that you've communicated a timeline and the efforts that you are making to make V2 a valuable upgrade.
    Every timeline announced by Research In (Slow) Motion regarding the BlackBerry PlayBook has been missed. Does anyone have a truckload of quick lime to erase these dumb-*** co-CEOs from the halls of RIM HQ?
    10-25-11 07:57 PM
    So then by the time the PlayToy has an onboard email client, iPad 3 will be out. If you think the comparisons are bad now, you better strap in for that.
    10-25-11 08:00 PM
    One word: BRIDGE. Bridge to me is the most important feature of the PB. Yes, I am an Enterprise user. Yes I am disappointed by the news. But, Bridge is the single most useful feature that no other tablet can offer. The fact that we can now use any app Bridged to your Blackberry device to connect to the web is invaluable.

As an IT Manager I cannot support the PB currently in it's form for "real" or needy user's. But, I've had mine since the day of launch and perhaps since I am in IT I accept, or perhaps am used to how things get rolled out or updated. The PB does everything that I knew it would do from Day 1. However, while disappointed with this news and after having to support my office with the most recent outage, does make me wonder what the **** RIM is doing.

That being said, still a avid BB user, supporter and hoping that all the posts stating that ATT may finally get their head out of their a** and release the Bold 9900 on Nov. 6th is on point. I will buy mine on that day, install Bridge, and be on my way until the next device, whether BBOS 7.1, QNX, or BBX is released.
    Anyone looking to sell their 9930 for Sprint, please PM me. I am interested in purchasing one. I'll be sticking around for awhile and absolutely refuse to go to Apple or Android, maybe Windows depending on what Win 8 looks like.

Serious about the Sprint 9930 though. Hit me up!
    Odiamond likes this.
    Blah blah blah...........My Playbook at 1.0.7 is still miles ahead of my Ipad2. I doubt Apple will be able to come up with a multitasking OS for ipod iphone ipad (Aren't they all the same device BTW?) Not going to happen extremely difficult.
    It doesn't matter if the PB is better. Without consumer adoption RIM will have no choice but to kill off the product to cut their losses.
    Send Again and kbz1960 like this.
    10-25-11 08:01 PM

Nuff said
    10-25-11 08:02 PM
    I think RIM is giving an allowance on date, I guess they'll release a new version before Christmas. If not then we'll have to wait again and see. If people can't wait and don't believe what RIM was saying, don't complain... You have a choice!
    Odiamond likes this.
    10-25-11 08:03 PM
    Great way to stain the QNX name.

Playbook? just a $500 screen extension of a blackberry phone with a browser that supports flash. I dont see how this tablet is appealing to anybody that does not own a blackberry.
    If browsing, reading documents and the like are your needs then there are cheaper tablets out there that browse just as fine and support flash, plus, they also have the decency of having bookmark management in the browser. No need to waste $500 for that sort of usage.

The platform's race to see which OS is more advanced just stopped right here for RIM, they surely put a nice glazing of sh*t on what QNX could have become on a tablet by years end.
    By feb 2012, only heavy fanatics and loyalists will be the ones buying a playbook or even owning a playbook. Even phones, including the new blackberry ones, by then will run faster and work better than the playbook can, considering RIM keeps sh*tting on it, which they may very well do in the future, they already did.

The playbook would probably be better off by allowing users to install an original version of QNX neutrino, that way, they dont have to deal with a sh*tty cut down version of it that depends on an incompetent company. And developers have all the freedom they can get.
    Accidental Post and avt123 like this.
    10-25-11 08:03 PM
    Michael Lazaridis on Playbook 9-15-2011
    Research In Motion's CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

"Rather than easing these enhancements out little by little into the market, we are planning to bundle a number of significant features and enhancements into a new major software release for PlayBook that will be demonstrated at DevCon in October and released thereafter. The ability to push out upgrades over the year to PlayBook is a significant advantage, and both existing and new PlayBook users will be able to benefit from this new software release when it is available.

Some of the key enhancements that we expect to be delivered in the PlayBook 2.0 release are: built-in native email, calendar and contacts; robust enterprise features, including BlackBerry Balance to allow management of personal liable devices; the previously announced Android app player; enhanced web browsing; the availability of new consumer apps and social -- the availability of new consumer apps and multimedia and video content, including BlackBerry video store, which will have 10,000 movies and TV shows available on demand to buy or rent as well as new movie releases on the same day as DVD availability; and of course, with the built-in HDMI output, the ability to enjoy videos on your TV without the need to purchase additional system components, as well as further improvements to BlackBerry Bridge."

He promised this a month ago, with the timeline that we would be receiving it about now. We hear today that the delay is 4 months...either he out and out lied on Sept 15th, or their project management is more brutal then we thought, and he is completely out of touch as a CEO. Its not like the update is on track and delayed a week due to some issues finalizing the release...the orginal timeline was just quadrupled!!! These jokers aren't even close...they are making it up/changing it as they go...there is no plan....
    10-25-11 08:05 PM
    I think there comes a point when support and loyalty to a company becomes blindly following. People complain because it's unbelievable that so many promises have been broken. I realized when I got the PlayBook that I was an early adopter and it wasn't fully done yet. But it has been too long and too many promises have been made for this delay to be excusable. It's unprofessional and it is completely detrimental to their climb back up to the top. The tech world moves to quick and has too many competitors to lag behind like this. I just got a new 9930, so I'm with RIM for two more years, but if they don't seriously clean their act up, I'm feeling windows phone + tablet or Android. I hope 2.0 blows our minds... it has to.
    10-25-11 08:05 PM
    RIM's just lost a long-time faithful. This is strike 2. I expect the QNX to be no more than a laugh.
    Last edited by rcheung135; 10-25-11 at 08:08 PM.
    10-25-11 08:06 PM
    Welp

Well this is the last time I ever buy a RIM product. As much as it pains me to say this as a Canadian, this company deserves to fail, after their multiple examples of incompetence in the past few years, in the same vein as another Canadian company, Nortel.

I actually feel pretty cheated buying the Playbook. I bought it thinking that native email + calendar will be out 60 days after launch and the Android player would be out in the summer. RIM has not delivered on any of their promises, my Playbook, although a nice device, is not even half of what I expected it to be by now, and those expectations didn't come out of nowhere, they were a result of RIM giving out misinformation and plainly lying to the public.

Honestly, Feb 2012? I'm actually pretty angry about this. It's not like I can even sell my Playbook for even half of it's original value. What a terrible investment it was on my part, although RIMs lies and misleading images and videos(such as the Skype and MSN icons in that one press conference and all those cool TAT apps they demoed that never materialized) have a huge part to play in that.

EDIT: This news is making me so angry that I'm actively going to push people away from any and all RIM products. A bunch of my friends are considering getting a BB, and I will tell them straight up that they will regret getting one over an Android, WP7 phone or an iPhone. Spring passed by and no native email+Android, summer passed by and no native email+Android, now they're telling us that we'll have to wait until almost a year since the launch of the Playbook to get things they promised before the launch of the Playbook. RIM, even my patience has limits, bravo for being one of the few companies that have actually broken my patience. I have always rooted for you for being one of the few big high tech Canadian companies in the global market, but no more.
    Last edited by GSGFlash; 10-25-11 at 08:24 PM.
    wrh310 and fatherslot like this.
    10-25-11 08:07 PM
    It's in hopes of a unified vision my friend. They want to deliver the best ******* communicative technology to exist. Once this is all worked out. There going to say hey world, look were blackberry, our phone is now the key to your car, your credit card, ID badge and your operating system to launching rovers to the moon. With qnx already integrated into so many other products, the BLACKBERRY phones released with qnx will be able to pair with any of them! That's a HUGE selling point, your Porsche, Escalade, Lexus, TV, will all be able to effortlessly interact with your phone.It truly will be a revolution. People will be like "****, look where the future's going, qnx is the system everything currently deployed on, let's bring it all together in my pocket, I'm getting a blackberry". Anyone who does will be left in the incapable dust of yesteryears devices. The larger picture my friend. The larger, proper picture. Do you think there's any reason to stagger interspersedly the omnipresent and wondrous abilities of bbx to the markets?
    I think RIM has lost it and they lost me. One of the main reasons I got my Playbook was because of the Android player. If this is how they run their business, then I'm switching to Apple. I had enough dissapointment after dissapointment.
    Sucks to be a playbook owner, No native clients, no apps, no Os 2.0 until february...Wish Rim was proactive instead of reactive.
    10-25-11 08:08 PM
    I guess its a lose lose situation. If the os 2.0 came out lets say in the next week or two people would complain that its not complete. But hey what can you do. I say if your bridging you PB and BB just continue with what you doing.
    moe1up and clowrym like this.
    10-25-11 08:10 PM
    I think RIM is giving an allowance on date, I guess they'll release a new version before Christmas. If not then we'll have to wait again and see. If people can't wait and don't believe what RIM was saying, don't complain... You have a choice!
    There are some folks here who are both customers and shareholders. i think we all have a right to complain when a company consistently fails to deliver. This is not the first time and with the current management this will not be the last. I don't know about you but I don't consider my PB as a disposable item to just throw away but I guess I'm old fashioned.
    10-25-11 08:11 PM
    wow.. I just shed a tear....

from laughing. You folks are crazy! Talk about demanding! I think everyone's expectations are a tad too high for progress on the birth/migration of an OS. You can blame RIM for rolling out an OS with quite a few bugs waaay too early, and you can blame RIM for OS2 rumors and mentionings of innaccurate predictions, but anyone with development experience knows that these things don't happen overnight. I bought mine in April knowing exactly what it was. Over time, it has improved. Apps are getting better. Progress is good, but isn't going to happen with the flip of a switch. RIM's mistake has been giving ANY info out about the PB as opposed to tidbits here and there which results in massive public speculation and disappointment when these pipe dreams aren't realized. Getting pissed and angry because RIM didn't satisfy you on something you bought on your own to begin with that you didn't immediately return is quite egocentric. You knew what it was after the first 30 minutes of playing with it. Oy vey everybody!

Now, unfortunately, they went off and made an OS2 deadline feeding the zombies once again. If they succeed, they will have continued improvement on a decent OS, perhaps making it a stellar one in under a year. Compare that with the rest of the OS's out there. Progress is good, and so is a little perspective.
    10-25-11 08:13 PM
486 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD