I have the server up and running. Everything loads great. The system get to the point where it is extracting the files, and then when it changes to go to installing it just stops. the VMWARE works still, I can use anything. I have plenty of memory allocated (6GB) for the VM, but it seems to just stop. any clue why? I got the .Bar file from doing the long systems off and load to "update" the file it 892MB, which is what I need, I need it to overwrite the whole system.

Any help would be awesome.
    02-16-12 12:20 PM
    it seems to just stop
    With a VM sometime you have to wait more than few minutes... hold on for 30-45 minutes and let us know.

02-16-12 02:14 PM
    With a VM sometime you have to wait more than few minutes... hold on for 30-45 minutes and let us know.

How about 6 days? Still at the same point. I will try to download the bar file again and see if maybe it was damaged during copying.. just takes FOREVER to download.
    02-20-12 02:48 PM
    hi
    i need to know if this method can be done with OS 2.0.0.7971 , anyone tried it with this version of playbook OS ?!
    cz i did all the operation in the first post and the downgrade operation started till the end, after the restart of my playbook nothing was changed, the os still 2.0.0.7971

any help plz ?

thx in advance ..
    04-05-12 06:22 AM
    I don't think you can now but someone that knows more will let you know.
    04-05-12 06:25 AM
    hi
    i need to know if this method can be done with OS 2.0.0.7971 , anyone tried it with this version of playbook OS ?!
    cz i did all the operation in the first post and the downgrade operation started till the end, after the restart of my playbook nothing was changed, the os still 2.0.0.7971

any help plz ?

thx in advance ..
    Sorry but with the 2.0.0.7971 you can't !
    K.Hussein likes this.
    04-05-12 09:30 AM
    Using this "fake update server," is it possible to do the repair procedure on a PB on 2.0.0.7971 and reinstall the same 2.0.0.7971? Or, does 2.0.0.7971 make it impossible to use the "fake server" at all? Thanks ...
    04-13-12 05:07 PM
    Using this "fake update server," is it possible to do the repair procedure on a PB on 2.0.0.7971 and reinstall the same 2.0.0.7971? Or, does 2.0.0.7971 make it impossible to use the "fake server" at all? Thanks ...
    You should be able (but not to downgrade) !
    04-13-12 06:48 PM

Here is a "COMPLETE SETUP" to Upgrade/Downgrade
    Your PlayBook Without any extensive knowledge and Nothings to configure in the server.

The Setup is in the form of a VirtualMachine under VMware Player:
    A complete computer Running the "Fake Server" from Cybrmage inside your own computer.

So the Virtual machine is READY to Downgrade or Upgrade your PlayBook
    with minimal intervention of your part.

We Will Use the FREE "VMware Player" to lauch the virtual "computer Image"

Minimum Requirement for running the Playbook Setup with the VMware Player:

- 1 GHz or faster processor and 4GB RAM.
    - Also requires approximately need 10 gig of disk space to install Vmware PlayBook setup.

N.B.: The VMware Player settings I use to run the VM Image are:
    1- One CPU (2 cores)
    2- I allocate 3.5 gig of memory to the virtual machine BUT 1 gig is fine, just Slower... by default it will be at 2 gig, but if you have enough mem put up to 3.5
    3- The partition image (File) have a maximum of 8 Gig, so you must figure to have 10 gig free on your HD

If you don't understand all the technical stuff don't be afraid, mostly you will not need it ;-)

Basic Instruction:

1) Unzip the file PlaybookVirtualServer.7z With 7zip
    Inside you will find 3 files: PlaybookVirtualServer.nvram, PlaybookVirtualServer.vmdk and PlaybookVirtualServer.vmx

2) Put the 3 files in SAME Folder on your computer.

3) Donwnload and Install the FREE VMware Player at : VMware Player 4.0

4) After the installation: Launch the VMware Player and
    Click on Open a "Virtual Machine" and
    choose the "PlaybookVirtualServer.vmx" file that you have extracted.

5) When you launch the VM Machine for the first time, The Machine can ask for some drivers :
    Example the machine have an ATI Video Cards and you have an Nvidia... Just provide the driver as usual.

6) You can "Drag and Drop" and "Copy aqnd Paste" From the VM Machine to your computer to move files and vice-versa... So if you need to download a driver, do it on your Computer instead of the VM player it will be a lot faster.

7) Keep in mind that a VM machine is just ONE Single Big file mainly, so it is SLOWER than a real machine because the VM machine write and read inside of one big file... Even if it seem to freeze be patient it does not crash, it's just that it is slower.. If you feel insecure and ask yourself if the VM has crashed ??? Try to move the mouse cursor, if it move all is fine just be patient

8) When you reach the desktop FIRST THING : Look at the README FILE on the desktop ;-)

You can Download the file "PlaybookVirtualServer.7z" HERE: PlaybookVirtualServer.7z DOWNLOAD

Thanks again to CybrMage for the "Fake Server" and PHP Script

If you have any Questions ask here please.

Here's somes "screenshoot" of the PlaybookVM FakeServer to make it even more easy to understand ;-)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...64253128_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...39902317_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...17095654_o.jpg

And the Final: "TADAM" !!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...28255503_o.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINK ----> : Download LINK

Regards
    Mikhou

Could you please upload the VM file again? The link's dead now.
    07-03-13 08:04 AM

Here is a "COMPLETE SETUP" to Upgrade/Downgrade
    Your PlayBook Without any extensive knowledge and Nothings to configure in the server.

The Setup is in the form of a VirtualMachine under VMware Player:
    A complete computer Running the "Fake Server" from Cybrmage inside your own computer.

So the Virtual machine is READY to Downgrade or Upgrade your PlayBook
    with minimal intervention of your part.

We Will Use the FREE "VMware Player" to lauch the virtual "computer Image"

Minimum Requirement for running the Playbook Setup with the VMware Player:

- 1 GHz or faster processor and 4GB RAM.
    - Also requires approximately need 10 gig of disk space to install Vmware PlayBook setup.

N.B.: The VMware Player settings I use to run the VM Image are:
    1- One CPU (2 cores)
    2- I allocate 3.5 gig of memory to the virtual machine BUT 1 gig is fine, just Slower... by default it will be at 2 gig, but if you have enough mem put up to 3.5
    3- The partition image (File) have a maximum of 8 Gig, so you must figure to have 10 gig free on your HD

If you don't understand all the technical stuff don't be afraid, mostly you will not need it ;-)

Basic Instruction:

1) Unzip the file PlaybookVirtualServer.7z With 7zip
    Inside you will find 3 files: PlaybookVirtualServer.nvram, PlaybookVirtualServer.vmdk and PlaybookVirtualServer.vmx

2) Put the 3 files in SAME Folder on your computer.

3) Donwnload and Install the FREE VMware Player at : VMware Player 4.0

4) After the installation: Launch the VMware Player and
    Click on Open a "Virtual Machine" and
    choose the "PlaybookVirtualServer.vmx" file that you have extracted.

5) When you launch the VM Machine for the first time, The Machine can ask for some drivers :
    Example the machine have an ATI Video Cards and you have an Nvidia... Just provide the driver as usual.

6) You can "Drag and Drop" and "Copy aqnd Paste" From the VM Machine to your computer to move files and vice-versa... So if you need to download a driver, do it on your Computer instead of the VM player it will be a lot faster.

7) Keep in mind that a VM machine is just ONE Single Big file mainly, so it is SLOWER than a real machine because the VM machine write and read inside of one big file... Even if it seem to freeze be patient it does not crash, it's just that it is slower.. If you feel insecure and ask yourself if the VM has crashed ??? Try to move the mouse cursor, if it move all is fine just be patient

8) When you reach the desktop FIRST THING : Look at the README FILE on the desktop ;-)

You can Download the file "PlaybookVirtualServer.7z" HERE: PlaybookVirtualServer.7z DOWNLOAD

Thanks again to CybrMage for the "Fake Server" and PHP Script

If you have any Questions ask here please.

Here's somes "screenshoot" of the PlaybookVM FakeServer to make it even more easy to understand ;-)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...64253128_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...39902317_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...17095654_o.jpg

And the Final: "TADAM" !!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...28255503_o.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINK ----> : Download LINK

Regards
    Mikhou

can we access the bootrom via this? i mean can we upshoot the veriexec or something similar from RIM or like grsec. no 0-day will hit the OS anyway. how can we get access to bootrom and bootloader via this? if at all.
    this will save me 3 days plus a weekend and i can go clubbing. because i plan to find the jtag this weekend at any cost.
    if it does help me gain access to bootrom and bootloader then i can get a breather.
    i hope this is english and not geek+english, and you understood what i asked for.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-03-13 09:36 AM
    Can you backup the actual PB and install it to VMware..?
    07-11-13 08:04 AM
    Can you backup the actual PB and install it to VMware..?
    yes 100% possible. provided you can get to emulate all the devices. and get the bootrom dumped. bootloader is inside the image.
    only thing you need is bootrom. rest can be simulated 80% wrt to cpu and most devices can be emulated. thats why there is an NDK.
    but whats the final use/outcome? whats your motive?
    there will be loads of symlinks you may go on an infinite loop wile rsyncing the playbook unless you deselect the symlinks. infinite loop aka fork bomb and a system crash.....
    pretty much anything is doable? question is why and whats the desired outcome?
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-11-13 10:59 AM
    link is dead.
    07-11-13 01:26 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD