Try this....

HOLD the power key for 20 seconds, after 20 Seconds do not let go of the power button and plug in the wall charger, and then let go... should get a steady red light for about 10 seconds, then the battery icon with lightning bolt should appear, after that the blinking green will appear and screen will go off.. now its charginggg..... lol wasted 4 hrs tyrign every other method, stack charging everything.... and this one worked for me...hope this works for everyone else
    07-30-12 10:11 PM
    You should include those things you did for 4 hours... your "presumably solution" might be the last steps...

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-31-12 09:45 AM
    Try this....

HOLD the power key for 20 seconds, after 20 Seconds do not let go of the power button and plug in the wall charger, and then let go... should get a steady red light for about 10 seconds, then the battery icon with lightning bolt should appear, after that the blinking green will appear and screen will go off.. now its charginggg..... lol wasted 4 hrs tyrign every other method, stack charging everything.... and this one worked for me...hope this works for everyone else
    I've just added this to my boilerplate on Stack Charging. Hope you don't mind!
    07-31-12 11:55 AM
    Tried off and on for days until I truly needed the Playbook. I tried different searches and thread and came upon yours first try. THANKS TIME A BAJILLION! It worked. I am as pleased as punch.

Steve
    08-01-12 07:38 PM
    No joy for me with this method or any previous mentioned method so far
    08-05-12 02:46 AM
    It works for me. I know it's a pain to start up pb, it's better than turning off wifi; because it's a bigger hassle for me to reconnect my wifi and relaunch all my emails accounts.
    08-05-12 06:12 AM
    I'm definitely going to store this information away in the memory bank. Thanks for the info OP
    08-05-12 06:37 AM
    To the OP, Glad you found a way to get your PB working! And like F2, I have added your solution to my database (with credit to you).

It would be great if you would also re-post this to a 'sticky' for either OS2.0xx or to the Tips and Tricks for Newbie sticky on the Blackberry Playbook forum.

Well done!
    08-05-12 10:15 AM
    I'm definitely going to store this information away in the memory bank. Thanks for the info OP
    Just don't store it solely on the pb. You won't be able to get to it if the charging fails!

And in all seriousness, I have been keeping my NOTES on my main computer but also copy them and certain "print to pdf" hints and tricks to my bbphone as well as the pb. If the pb burps while away from INFO CENTRAL (my desktop computer), I can look at the info on my phone for help. I've also done screen captures of various pb settings' screen (like static ip, some email account settings, et) that I can reference if all else goes bump in the night.
    08-05-12 10:49 AM
    I just called RIM to get an RMA for my Playbook that wouldn't turn on. She had me hold down power button for 40 seconds and let go. Then plug in wall charger. The red light came on, went off, and then battery with bolt appeared! A short while later, logo appears with green led and appears to be charging now!

I swear I tried all the other techniques and holding in button and stuff. So 40 seconds!
    08-10-12 04:43 PM
    Exactly why does the Playbook have this strange "feature" that you cannot charge it after it has completely drained? I'm new to Blackberry devices so I don't know if this is unique to the PB or all BB devices - is it a fault in the design of the device, or was it intentional on RIM's half? I thought it might be for security reasons, because if someone steals it, they won't be able to do anything with it if it won't charge, yet I think this probably isn't the case.
    I'm yet to fully drain my PB, but I've only had it for a few days.

Also, I'm in the habit of turning off all my gadgets at night to reboot them in the morning. This is extremely useful for Android devices, where it clears all the caches and resets the RAM. However, is this ritual of any use to the PB, because I've heard that you're meant to keep it on 24/7 for ever?

A reply would be gratefully appreciated (:
    08-13-12 09:00 AM
    Exactly why does the Playbook have this strange "feature" that you cannot charge it after it has completely drained? I'm new to Blackberry devices so I don't know if this is unique to the PB or all BB devices - is it a fault in the design of the device, or was it intentional on RIM's half? I thought it might be for security reasons, because if someone steals it, they won't be able to do anything with it if it won't charge, yet I think this probably isn't the case.
    I'm yet to fully drain my PB, but I've only had it for a few days.

Also, I'm in the habit of turning off all my gadgets at night to reboot them in the morning. This is extremely useful for Android devices, where it clears all the caches and resets the RAM. However, is this ritual of any use to the PB, because I've heard that you're meant to keep it on 24/7 for ever?

A reply would be gratefully appreciated (:
    I'm not sure if they purposely designed it this way for some reason or someone goofed. In any event, the "feature" does not work well. It can leave the pb in a coma and it takes extraordinary measures to pump its heart back to life. (there are a variety of Stack Charging methods which have worked and someone even jump started it by opening it up and applying power directly to it).

Now, one thing - not everybody whose pb hits ZERO charge has this problem. But probably if left at "zero" too long, eventually it probably will be difficult to get it to recharge. PB's have automatically turned off due to low power and been recharged without issues.

I have rarely turned my pb off. I allow it to enter standby even overnight. But I do monitor it so I don't push it too low.

I have a second pb but it kind of sits idly by and when I want away for a 3-day weekend last week, I did turn it OFF. Otherwise I monitor it, too, and if it goes below 40% or so percent, I charge it.

I have Battery Guru on both units.

If someone knows why it was designed this way, I'd like to read about its purpose.
    JRAtk027 likes this.
    08-13-12 11:24 AM
    RIM really should use this information, and add this to their FAQS
    08-13-12 12:40 PM
    OP's method (Holding for 20 seconds, plugging in and releasing) worked for me. Even with the standard BB charger (I didn't have the premium charger with me and wanted to try it as soon as I read this trick).
    Thanks so much!
    09-19-12 02:05 PM
    OP's method (Holding for 20 seconds, plugging in and releasing) worked for me. Even with the standard BB charger (I didn't have the premium charger with me and wanted to try it as soon as I read this trick).
    Thanks so much!
    Thanks for confirming that it can work. That could help others, too.
    09-19-12 04:32 PM
    If all else fails, like it did in my case, remove the back cover and unscrew the battery tab that keeps the battery connected. Then disconnect battery. Wait 20 seconds, reconnect battery and then the charge right after.

Wait 20 to 30 minutes at it charges. Turn it on to ensure it has enough charge to turn on, then reconnect charger and snap the back cover on.

This worked when stack charging did not.
    09-20-12 11:22 AM
    everything happens until the green light, i don't get the green light. after the bolt battery my screen goes off and after a while the playbook starts but only startutp screen, when the OS should appear it turns off.
    03-04-13 05:09 AM
    I've picked up 4 'broken' playbooks. Hooked to the rapid charger for 60min or so and all is good. Mind you 3 of them had broken USB plugs though. Got 'lucky' on the most recent one.
    Keep telling my wife that I'm lowering the average cost of device
    FF22 likes this.
    03-06-13 04:09 AM
    There is a simple fix for a Playbook with drained battery,just plug in a Samsung Monte charger,very cheap on ebay and the unit should boot up straight away.I tried usb and numerous solutions none of which worked.The charger is very slow but it should take you out of not being able to boot.There is no need to hold any power buttons or volume buttons.
    Zel143 likes this.
    03-08-13 09:21 PM
    Hi everyone. I've experienced the same problem. I've tried all methods relating to stack charging, it didn't work for me. My playbook has been "dead" for a month. The easiest way is use a Blackberry Playbook Charging Pod. It works for me instantly. .
    04-05-13 11:54 PM
    Thanks. I was going crazy until I tried this. And yes, you are right. After holding down the power key for 20 seconds and then connecting to charger I got a steady red light followed by the battery icon with lightning bolt and then a slow pulsing green light to indicate it is charging. (So, I didn't get a blinking green, but a slow pulsing green throughout the charging process).Yahoo! Now, let's see how long this takes to charge.
    04-19-13 06:44 AM
    this did not work for me, still get the red light for about 10 seconds and then the amber for 3-5 seconds then nothing
    04-29-13 06:41 AM
    how long would be the charging time after I do the steps? please reply....i really need your opinion....... I've done lots of procedure but still doesn't work......
    Last edited by Zel143; 05-15-13 at 10:26 PM.
    05-15-13 10:12 PM
    how long would be the charging time after I do the steps? please reply....i really need your opinion....... I've done lots of procedure but still doesn't work......
    This will only work if the battery is above a certain voltage level... if you do the power thing for 20 seconds and don't get a battery icon, then your battery is lower and it won't work because the PlayBook BIOS won't let the battery take a charge for more than about 40-60 seconds (it seems to vary for some reason). I've put a multimeter on the playbook and it DEFINITELY shuts off all charging after that point (when the battery is below a certain voltage level (I think it was 3.7 volts but you could search for my posts and I've detailed it in a few of them). The OP's method will work great if your voltage is below 0% but still above that 3.7 volts (i.e. it has enough power to boot as far as the charging screen). If it doesn't, plug in the charger for a minute, take it out for 5 seconds, plug it back in and do that for 20-30 minutes THEN try the OP's method... (don't try it before then as you will just drag the battery down with each attempt). Once you get that little light going, you are all set. Let it charge fully before trying to power up as the powerup cycle will take a lot of juice out of the battery and you may end up at ground zero. Also know that every time you try the OP's method on a dead battery you are sucking even more out of it so may end up in stack charging land. For those of you that have problems stack charging, I suspect the real problem is a broken USB port (they are very fragile) so I'd recommend the rapid charger that uses the rapid charging ports. Also know you can't use any old charger... you need one that pumps out at least 1.7Amps (anything less and you'll have to double or triple my time estimates and you still won't be able to run and charge at the same time.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-16-13 10:54 AM
    mapsonburt:

Glad to see you are still around with battery advice.
    05-16-13 07:44 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD