Hi guys, I just had a thought. Since the Dev Alpha devices are in essence just squeezed down playbooks for the most part, and since the BB10 Dev OS for the PlayBook is essentially crippled by a lack of functional BlackBerry World and such, could we not take some of those missing files from the Dev Alpha OS and simply create a sort of Frankenstein build of BB10 for the Playbook. I for one would be more than happy to pay for it. I would be willing to dedicate the time to do this as well. Just look at whited00r.com for an excellent example of what somebody has done for older iPhones. We could sell it too. I know of at least 50-80 people with PB who would cough up big dough for it. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 09:42 AM
    Hi guys, I just had a thought. Since the Dev Alpha devices are in essence just squeezed down playbooks for the most part, and since the BB10 Dev OS for the PlayBook is essentially crippled by a lack of functional BlackBerry World and such, could we not take some of those missing files from the Dev Alpha OS and simply create a sort of Frankenstein build of BB10 for the Playbook. I for one would be more than happy to pay for it. I would be willing to dedicate the time to do this as well. Just look at whited00r.com for an excellent example of what somebody has done for older iPhones. We could sell it too. I know of at least 50-80 people with PB who would cough up big dough for it. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    It's been tried.... many of the newer BAR files will not work of the Dev Alpha OS. It isn't a full OS like many of the leaks that we use, it was a beta and was "locked" down to prevent this kind of playing around with it.
    kbz1960 and anon(5597702) like this.
    04-04-14 09:56 AM
    First you would need to solve the problems with video performance, the battery icon in the corner being non functional and the self destruct date built into the OS itself. We would need root access to fix those things, assuming they're fixable, and we don't have it.

Even then at that point apps available for proper OS builds that did install would look wrong. The assets for apps using Cascades are stored in the libraries, and they sized for Dev Alpha/Z*/Q* resolutions. We don't have the ability to resize these assets, because we aren't given the code needed to compile those libraries ourselves. Best you can do is write apps with the limitations in mind and try to get things to line up.

Honestly you would have an easier time just building Qt and learning that.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 02:49 PM