Posting this here as I believe it is related to the OS upgrade.

Kindle app force closes, worked absolutely fine up until the upgrade and I was on the Beta.

Any ideas?
    10-05-12 10:11 AM
    i get the register now screen...
    10-05-12 10:31 AM
    Been working fine for me. Been reading a book for one of my classes.
    10-05-12 10:31 AM
    Well that was short lived.

I uninstalled it, downloaded the 3.2 version apk, converted to BAR again and DDPB'd it and now it works again.
    10-05-12 10:34 AM
    I have 3.2.0.35 and that is working fine post upgrade. I wonder what might cause this behavior, n apps working for one set of users not working for others.(all sideloaded I guess)
    10-05-12 10:54 AM
    I doubt it was working fine... mine crashes occasionally when offline. I can go weeks ok but then it crashes and trashes the credentials. It has been the same on 2.0 and all instances of 2.1. I suspect you were just lucky until now.
    11-15-12 03:42 PM
    Then most users are indeed lucky and you dug up this dead thread for nothing.

But welcome to the forums.
    11-15-12 04:01 PM
    All - I am new to PlayBook, not to Blackberry or the forums.

I have successfully loaded several Andriod apps, including the Kindle App, Dropbox, eBay, Skype etc. Specifically, the Kindle app appears to be working OK, I can go into the app and i can see "Home" "On Device" "Archive" and "Store" tabs across the top. (I have installed 3.2.0.35 and an running os 2.1.0.1088).

I have copied several .MOBI files onto my PlayBook and stored them in the "books" folder in the root.

However, within the Kindle App, none of these books are showing up in the "On Device" tab. I have gone into the settings and pressed "Sync", I have logged into the Kindle Store OK but still no books in my library.

Any suggestions?
    11-16-12 03:12 AM
    They are just in the wrong folder. Place your .mobi book files in /misc/Android/kindle.

But yeah, I can understand why you placed them into books...
    11-16-12 07:12 AM
    Try the updated version of the app.. Convert and install. PM me for the .bar file. Also, the .mobi files have to be stored in /misc/android/kindle for them to show up. When it shows "syncing", it only means it is syncing your purchased items with the Amazon Store. Hope this helps
    11-22-12 01:13 PM
    Try the updated version of the app.. Convert and install. PM me for the .bar file. Also, the .mobi files have to be stored in /misc/android/kindle for them to show up. When it shows "syncing", it only means it is syncing your purchased items with the Amazon Store. Hope this helps
    Which version is this?
    11-22-12 06:06 PM
    Which version is this?
    I'm running Kindle 3.2.0.35 on one PlayBook and 3.7.1.8 on the second one.. Both work just fine. Additionally, if you continue to face problems, try Moon Reader or Aldiko which are equally good!
    11-22-12 10:28 PM
    I'm running Kindle 3.2.0.35 on one PlayBook and 3.7.1.8 on the second one.. Both work just fine. Additionally, if you continue to face problems, try Moon Reader or Aldiko which are equally good!
    You have Kindle app version 3.7.1.8 on the PlayBook? And it works OK?

Do you have the .bar file for that?
    Creaulx likes this.
    11-23-12 04:24 AM
    You have Kindle app version 3.7.1.8 on the PlayBook? And it works OK?

Do you have the .bar file for that?
    Seconded. I just got my PlayBook returned from service (great experience, really) and would like to get my books back on the device.
    11-23-12 11:00 AM
    Any updates to this thread? Haven't heard anything more from calvinw1000 about a 3.7.1.8 bar file.
    11-25-12 04:34 AM
    the DDPB wont work, keeps giving me a virus.
    11-25-12 07:02 AM
    what is DDPB? I am thinking of just buying a plain kindle to read all the books I have gotten from Amazon. I have the app downloaded on my desktop and laptop computers but it would not download on my playbook. I would love to get this to work but I do not know how to sideload or understand DDPB.
    11-25-12 07:53 PM
    3.2.0.35 is the last working version. Everything past that force closes on launch.
    11-26-12 02:18 PM
    what is DDPB? I am thinking of just buying a plain kindle to read all the books I have gotten from Amazon. I have the app downloaded on my desktop and laptop computers but it would not download on my playbook. I would love to get this to work but I do not know how to sideload or understand DDPB.
    a couple of family members have the old orginal Kindle and were wanting to upgrade. Even with the PlayBook now under $150 in a lot of places, the Kindle is still a better option IF you want an EASY to use ereader.

I hope RIM has been paying attention. It doesn't matter how good the hardware is, it doesn't matter how slick the OS & interface are - if a device doesn't have the ecosystm that consumers expect, they aren't going to buy your devices even when they are deeply discounted.
    Creaulx likes this.
    11-26-12 02:44 PM
    Can you use either of those to read Kindle books downloaded through Amazon?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    11-27-12 10:28 AM
    Any updates to this thread? Haven't heard anything more from calvinw1000 about a 3.7.1.8 bar file.
    Well, he PM'ed me two days ago asking if I wanted it and I replied, that was the last I've heard of it. I'm a little skeptical in that every indication I've seen is that 3.2.0.35 is the only version that works. Right now I have all my books loaded on my PB, in the right folder (misc/Android/Kindle), am able to login on 3.2.0.35, but none of the books show on my recently wiped PB. When I check in "Settings" on the Kindle app, it says that it's my "2nd Device". No idea how to unregister the first one, since it's the same damn device. I'll give Aldiko a go.

At this point, it might be easier just to buy a Nexus 7 for Christmas. I really dislike these sideloaded apps and the Android player in general since it only emulates up to Gingerbread (2.3.6) which is now quite out of date and doesn't work well with the no-home-button UI of the PB. I wonder if RIM will have a Jelly Bean-capable Android update with BB10?
    11-27-12 10:33 AM
    Well, he PM'ed me two days ago asking if I wanted it and I replied, that was the last I've heard of it. I'm a little skeptical in that every indication I've seen is that 3.2.0.35 is the only version that works. Right now I have all my books loaded on my PB, in the right folder (misc/Android/Kindle), am able to login on 3.2.0.35, but none of the books show on my recently wiped PB. When I check in "Settings" on the Kindle app, it says that it's my "2nd Device". No idea how to unregister the first one, since it's the same damn device. I'll give Aldiko a go.

At this point, it might be easier just to buy a Nexus 7 for Christmas. I really dislike these sideloaded apps and the Android player in general since it only emulates up to Gingerbread (2.3.6) which is now quite out of date and doesn't work well with the no-home-button UI of the PB. I wonder if RIM will have a Jelly Bean-capable Android update with BB10?
    You can remove the 1st Kindle config from logging on to Amazon's website, in the Kindle section, and manage my device (or something like that) - I've had to do it many a time when experimenting with different builds / ROMs on my Android tablets.

Have to say, I was also skeptical about the suggestion of a working 3.7.1.8 version on the PlayBook since it goes against everything else I've read here on the subject, but as it's past that magical version where whispersync of "personal" documents is included, was intrigued - because the Kindle app is useless to me, unless I can sync everything I read on it, with my other Kindle devices.

And like you, I've heard nothing after expressing interest in the 3.7.1.8 version. I can only conclude it's "vaporware" in the absence of anything else.
    11-27-12 10:41 AM
    In any event, should you guys get a working version higher than 3.2.0.35, please share them with us.
    11-28-12 06:38 AM
    How To: Sideload Android apps on PlayBook OS v2.0 for use with the Android App Player | CrackBerry.com
    11-30-12 09:30 AM
    I've been using my laptop, Kindle 3 and PB for reading my kindle books. They've all worked perfectly for me.
    11-30-12 09:33 AM
34 12