where is the cascading videos and pictures dropping from the sky. WHERE IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!
    02-17-13 08:19 PM
    Let's face it, BB gave up on the PB. Apparently they are not throwing good money at it while they are planning to build Z10 and Q10 business.
    There are almost NO retail outlets in the US that even carry it.
    Someone who 'really' want's one has few places to go and likely will go to BB directly.
    That being said, I really think BB10 on PB will improve PB status and stores will once again carry it.
    02-17-13 09:46 PM
    Let's face it, BB gave up on the PB. Apparently they are not throwing good money at it while they are planning to build Z10 and Q10 business.
    There are almost NO retail outlets in the US that even carry it.
    Someone who 'really' want's one has few places to go and likely will go to BB directly.
    That being said, I really think BB10 on PB will improve PB status and stores will once again carry it.
    No store is going to carry a device that is almost 3 years old even with a new operating system. If BlackBerry wants to sell any playbooks they need to sell them via their website or give a bunch to shop crackberry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-19-13 06:01 PM
    No store is going to carry a device that is almost 3 years old even with a new operating system. If BlackBerry wants to sell any playbooks they need to sell them via their website or give a bunch to shop crackberry.

I would assume Blackberry has stopped making playbooks.....and they would be seriously mentally deficient if they continued to try and sell the playbook. My advice for the "brain trust" at Blackberry.....Run don't walk to the nearest exit.......That noise you hear in the next room....is the fat lady 'warming up'

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-19-13 06:58 PM
    I posted this in another thread but it is probably more relevant to this thread: I'd be surprised if BlackBerry 10 could not be optimised to fit in 1GB of RAM. If PB OS runs fine in 1GB of RAM, BB 10, which is technically very close under the hood, should be capable of as well. I'm old enough to have worked and programmed on high-end workstations that were doing a lot more with a lot less RAM... admittedly they did not have buttery smooth touch-UIs, but I'm ready to give up a tiny bit of smoothness on the PlayBook in exchange of new features.

Now, a PlayBook 2 must be around the corner. With tablets outselling laptops, I can't see BBRY not trying to get a piece of that huge cake. And if such a new model is indeed coming, I could understand BBRY not bothering too much about the 1st gen PlayBook experience...but on commercial and not technical grounds.
    02-20-13 04:58 AM
    Indeed, now lets wait for the next few posts going..."But when do I get BB10 on my Playbook!" or "I still want BB10! They pwrooomised!"

The reality of the current situation just doesn't sink in. No one bothers to think about the consequences anymore. It's all now now now I want the shiny!
    Actually Thorsten did say bb10 was eventually coming to the playbook while they were announcing the general bb10 release. That was about it though nothing regarding time frame but i think blackberry has learned its lesson on that.
    03-03-13 08:29 AM
    I posted this in another thread but it is probably more relevant to this thread: I'd be surprised if BlackBerry 10 could not be optimised to fit in 1GB of RAM. If PB OS runs fine in 1GB of RAM, BB 10, which is technically very close under the hood, should be capable of as well. I'm old enough to have worked and programmed on high-end workstations that were doing a lot more with a lot less RAM... admittedly they did not have buttery smooth touch-UIs, but I'm ready to give up a tiny bit of smoothness on the PlayBook in exchange of new features.

Now, a PlayBook 2 must be around the corner. With tablets outselling laptops, I can't see BBRY not trying to get a piece of that huge cake. And if such a new model is indeed coming, I could understand BBRY not bothering too much about the 1st gen PlayBook experience...but on commercial and not technical grounds.
    I just lost my playbook. Now i am not sure if I should buy one right away or wait. hm...
    03-05-13 01:58 AM
    I for one will find it difficult to invest in a new PB with two currently in my possession. One 16 and one 64 gig waiting and hoping for the apps and functionality that was first mentioned at the launch of the PB. Seamless sync with calendar and contacts, true print to go, ability to write free hand notes, cross platform video conferencing to mention a few. I know for most the PB does all you may want it to but I can't use it as a business tool I was expecting it to be. If and when some form of BB10 comes to the current design of the PB I truly hope these features with others suggested will make the PB the powerhouse it was supposed to be. The combination of the BB phone and Playbook connectivity is an awesome pairing that should not be diminished. Continue to improve the PB to a MUST KEEP devise and not a also have electronic tablet that has more game apps then user apps for getting things done.
    03-06-13 10:41 AM
    Would I buy another Playbook?

Well after using a Nexus 4 for the past couple of months and having access to a world of apps/forums/developers etc. dedicated to such devices on Android....probably not.

But if the Playbook 2 crashes again from �450 to �130 I might be tempted for a laugh. I'd have to be feeling fairly flush on the day though.
    03-06-13 11:06 AM
    A failed tablet, what to do with stock? Flood the market, upgrade to 10, you now have millions of BB sales and geniuses...

It called viral marketing

You then launch Playbook with better specs, half owners upgrade and pass old one on...and thus you catch up with your main competition, ipad. The more PB's the more people want, sadly BB need a Apple inspired advert, that plays on the fact there is no other more secure way to connect online than with BB, add to that Microsoft product compatibility and well you're covering the majority of technology users worldwide.

Cheque better be in the post Thomas.....
    03-07-13 04:43 PM
    Only 1 gig of ram? Has the world gone mad? 20 years ago I was able to multitrack 8 channels of audio and 16 of midi on an Amiga with 16 megs of ram and a processor with an less than an eighth of the power that the play book has. I thought QNX was supposed to be an efficient OS.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    03-08-13 02:54 AM
    Only 1 gig of ram? Has the world gone mad? 20 years ago I was able to multitrack 8 channels of audio and 16 of midi on an Amiga with 16 megs of ram and a processor with an less than an eighth of the power that the play book has. I thought QNX was supposed to be an efficient OS.
    It's called lazy coding.

They could make it fit, chances are they could make it work in 512MB with the right efficient code. But that takes time and skill and in this deadline centric cut and paste world it doesn't happen.

The advancement of the hardware has let a lot of lazy people get a foothold in a industry that they would never have been able to back in the 8bit days when folks could create stunningly useful software with just 32Kb.

If the same ingenuity and skills from the 8bit days were applied to today's software it would be way in advance of where its currently stagnated.

In a lot of ways we have gone backwards.
    03-08-13 05:13 AM
    Looking at how great is the os10 on my z10, BlackBerry can do a little upgrade to the PlayBook to have the same great base.

Cascade, peek and flow are superb. The hub is like a big inbox.

The os seems really fast and super smooth. I can't believe that the extra bit of power compared to the playbook makes such a difference. It is just a better finished and polished os.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 06:08 AM
    I'd be suprised to see any release for the Playbook.
    We are talking about a device / accessories that got cleared out below cost.
    The longer they wait the more people move on !
    There is supposed to be a second tablet device being developed. Maybe thats on hold
    till there is some market indication. Remember RIMM entered the market as a Cell phone manufacter and service
    provider , now it's a insecure gadget driven market about apps and accessories. Blackberry doesn't meet the needs of
    cell phone circus. They are trying to appeal to the swipe screen crowd with the appropriatley named Z10,
    but to hire Alicia Keys --- shows how big a indentity crisis they are in.
    If the 10 does get released in a few months for the Playbook , I'm sure the forums will be full of people trying to flash
    back to 2.1 due to bugs etc.
    Going on.
    If they can't even get a native Netflix good luck .
    Ya know my neigbour is a big BB fan. When he came over long ago and told me . " The playbook will run android apps"
    There is a software coming I didn't say a word. Good luck with that !

It's a nice device at the wholesale price. But it's on the secret island of QNX.

EOM .
    03-10-13 10:10 AM
    How is PlayBook WiFi 'almost three years old' when it came out in April 2011 and it's currently March 2013? And how is PlayBook LTE almost three years old when it came out August 2012?

Definitely think it's taken a back seat (and should) right now, but let's not stretch the truth, please!
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 03-11-13 at 07:27 AM.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    03-10-13 08:11 PM
    I don't see the 1Gb of RAM as an obstacle really.
    It comes from the thinking that BlackBerry 10 was only ever written with the Z10 and Q10 in mind and that none of the work was ever done to make it work on lower cost devices or the PlayBook. I don't believe it for a second.

The equivilant thinking would be like saying iOS 6 was only ever designed to run on the iPhone 5 with 1 GB of RAM and not the lower devices that support it, including iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S ... both of which run it just fine on half the memory. Even the lesser devices than that support, though performance starts to get sketchy.

I think people need to stop making assumptions about what performance will or won't be like once BlackBerry is done optimizing it for PlayBook until they've actually seen it running.
    axllebeer likes this.
    03-10-13 08:18 PM
    New OS = New bugs on an old tablet with limited shelf life.

Let's just get what we have fixed and working. I don't think Blackberry will want to spend another two years fixing BB10 on the already two years old Playbook.

I would rather Blackberry produce a couple more updates for 2.1 for those of us that just want to see out the next 18 months/2 years with our Playbooks in peace and then maybe an optional BB10 OS pack for those that desperately want to land themselves in a world of pain.
    I strongly agree. Lets get an SDK refresh in the hands of developers so we can start utilizing QT and Cascades easily; there is plenty good about the PlayBook, gestures especially, that I MISS not having on Z10. I'd like to develop with QT/Cascades and TARGETING the PlayBook for distinct advantages OVER the Z10, form factor the least of all.
    03-11-13 09:45 AM
    It's called lazy coding.

They could make it fit, chances are they could make it work in 512MB with the right efficient code. But that takes time and skill and in this deadline centric cut and paste world it doesn't happen.

The advancement of the hardware has let a lot of lazy people get a foothold in a industry that they would never have been able to back in the 8bit days when folks could create stunningly useful software with just 32Kb.

If the same ingenuity and skills from the 8bit days were applied to today's software it would be way in advance of where its currently stagnated.

In a lot of ways we have gone backwards.
    Developers aren't allowed to drop LSD anymore...
    03-11-13 09:47 AM
    I'm pretty sure QNX is efficient (there was Neutrino OS that was bootable with a floppy diskette, with networking and everything), but BPS and other Core services that SHOULD be in assembly or something, are written in high-level language.

I'd say, get a team doing THAT, and keep the existing release schedules. Like the team that were dedicated to making Mac OS X for Intel, they started at X 10.0.
    pmf73 likes this.
    03-11-13 09:55 AM
    The fact that BB10 'needs' 2Gb of RAM is not lazy coding - it's called future proofing. I've seen an alpha build of what is called BB10 running on a PlayBook and it was pretty smooth, and there was a little over 400Mb left.

Posted via CB10
    pmf73 likes this.
    03-11-13 10:25 AM
    The fact that BB10 'needs' 2Gb of RAM is not lazy coding - it's called future proofing. I've seen an alpha build of what is called BB10 running on a PlayBook and it was pretty smooth, and there was a little over 400Mb left.

Posted via CB10
    Its lazy coding! Maybe add in a lot of redundant bloat too.

Happens everywhere. I bet if you dig deep in the code of Windows 8 you'll find snippets of Win95 or NT4 code.

I remember a developer buddy of mine telling me when he managed a team of coders if he was told the code had to fit in 2MB he would tell the team it had to fit in 1.5MB.

If he told them it had to fit in 2MB they would have made it 2.5MB and said it was impossible to get it any smaller.
    03-14-13 10:30 AM
    They will probably use part of the storage (16 32 or 64GB) as ram. which will boost the playbook up to 2gb
    03-25-13 10:55 AM
    They will probably use part of the storage (16 32 or 64GB) as ram. which will boost the playbook up to 2gb
    That won't work like it did on the legacy BlackBerry phones. The Playbook storage is just not fast enough when compared to the RAM it already has.
    03-27-13 11:12 AM
    Whatever it may be called I want to see it come to the PlayBook for these main reasons :

- App selection.
    - better browser
    - Better keyboard, mainly to eliminate the lag
    - Also hoping BB10 will add USB HOST on the go.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    03-27-13 11:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    How did you see this? :-)
    03-27-13 05:14 PM
83 1234