Most of the talk about the Playbook beeing rooted is that people want to dual boot anroid. I'm wondering why bother? We already have the android player. Why not build on that?

I have not looked into how the Android Player fully works but as I understand it, it emulates the android KVM and so that means that there is also an anroid system hidden somewhere amongst all the other stuff? Could we not essentially create custom ROMs for the Android Player? Being fullscreen we could easily add in a custom status bar (assuming we could use a similar system to custom ROMs in general) that woud allow for easier use of androids muti-tasking functions and get essentially a full android experience in an app.

I haven't ha much time to play with my rooted Playbook as it's a busy time of year as i'm sure you all know! Has anyone gained any insight of the android player from the recnt developments with the playbook.
    12-28-11 04:35 PM
    We already have the android player. Why not build on that?
    Because we don't have the source code to the QNX OS or the Android Player itself. There is no way we can really build on top if it.

I think it would be easier to get a full Android ROM running on the PlayBook, and even that is looking almost impossible right now since the PlayBook's bootloader is locked and encrypted.
    12-29-11 12:07 AM
    I agree with the OP's sentiment.
    The people whining for an Android port probably don't realize that since QNX runs on a different kernel than Android, which is why a lot of Android apps won't run. But if you really want to run android, buy something that runs Android. QNX > Android IMO.
    12-29-11 01:07 AM
    The people whining for an Android port probably don't realize that since QNX runs on a different kernel than Android, which is why a lot of Android apps won't run. But if you really want to run android, buy something that runs Android. QNX > Android IMO.
    on the contrary, thats PRECISELY why people are asking for an android port because the current android player can't actually do all android apps. dual-booting would solve that no problem.
    MiataMike, mtx69 and Richdog- like this.
    12-29-11 02:44 AM
    No, the people who want Android want the great 3rd party support and flexibility of Android on the PlayBook's (relatively) cheap hardware. Where else can you get a 1 GHZ dual core CPU with front and back HD cameras, GPS, Bluetooth, great speakers, and an overall great physical design for only $200? If the PlayBook had Android and came in at $200, its sales would be well into the millions, because it would be automatically superior to the Nook Tablet, Nook Color, and Kindle Fire. Those similarly priced Android tablets are thrashing the PlayBook in terms of sales and support, despite their weaker hardware configurations. That is part of why people want Android on their PlayBooks. Another part is that RIM is encouraging us to want Android by marketing Android app compatibility, which will naturally draw more interest and attention to Android and its apps.

If I could get Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich on my PlayBook, I'd switch in an instant. QNX is great, but so far, the only thing it has over Android (in my own experiences) is a cooler looking UI and easier multitasking management (which was pretty much taken from WebOS LOL). I still can't do some of the basic things my brother's Android tablet does, and even some of the more advanced things. In that sense, QNX itself doesn't do much to win me over from Android.
    mrcrusha829 likes this.
    12-29-11 02:52 AM
    No, the people who want Android want the great 3rd party support and flexibility of Android on the PlayBook's (relatively) cheap hardware. Where else can you get a 1 GHZ dual core CPU with front and back HD cameras, GPS, Bluetooth, great speakers, and an overall great physical design for only $200? If the PlayBook had Android and came in at $200, its sales would be well into the millions, because it would be automatically superior to the Nook Tablet, Nook Color, and Kindle Fire. Those similarly priced Android tablets are thrashing the PlayBook in terms of sales and support, despite their weaker hardware configurations. That is part of why people want Android on their PlayBooks. Another part is that RIM is encouraging us to want Android by marketing Android app compatibility, which will naturally draw more interest and attention to Android and its apps.

If I could get Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich on my PlayBook, I'd switch in an instant. QNX is great, but so far, the only thing it has over Android (in my own experiences) is a cooler looking UI and easier multitasking management (which was pretty much taken from WebOS LOL). I still can't do some of the basic things my brother's Android tablet does, and even some of the more advanced things. In that sense, QNX itself doesn't do much to win me over from Android.
    agreed..as *capable* as QNX is, its really underutilized here. i'd much rather at this point just replace QNX altogether with android. if dual booting is possible i'd do that.
    Richdog- likes this.
    12-29-11 02:59 AM
    because we already had BBerry phones and we bought into RIMs advertised "run your favorite Android and Blackberry apps" and now almost a year later that has disolved into a promise of maybe running a few RIMDROID apps (apps ported over from Android and placed into RIMs AppWorld. And still no file manager; book reader; document editor (doc, xcl, ppt); no native email....
    For instance, am really enjoying Kindle on my rootbook. Already wish could upgrade the app to newest version so could read newspapers. While nonroot users are still at the " we hope OS 2 will be released in Feb, and hope Kindle gets ported over into Rimdroid format, and hope it operates as a full app and not some crippled got to bridge through blackberry phone app......Think i will go read a good book, and put my faith in Dingleberry 3.0
    12-29-11 05:37 AM
    Great, another thread devolved into whining about RIM.

on the contrary, thats PRECISELY why people are asking for an android port because the current android player can't actually do all android apps. dual-booting would solve that no problem.
    Hate to be a grammer nazi, but my statement means that people don't understand that the problem with running native apps is based on the difference between a qnx and a linux kernel. Although most consumers probably don't even know there is an Android App Player.
    12-29-11 10:07 AM
    Great, another thread devolved into whining about RIM.

Hate to be a grammer nazi, but my statement means that people don't understand that the problem with running native apps is based on the difference between a qnx and a linux kernel. Although most consumers probably don't even know there is an Android App Player.
    Wouldnt this be because, for most consumers, there isnt one? lol. Sorry SCrid2000, I couldnt resist.
    12-29-11 10:21 AM
    Lol I stand corrected; you are, of course, correct
    12-29-11 10:22 AM
    LOL glad to see someone can have some humor on the boards. Way too many uptight people hahaha
    12-29-11 10:27 AM
    Dude, it's grammar, not grammer LOL!

I'm quite sure that some people understand the problem, but I highly doubt that those who do are satisfied with "understanding the problem."

Furthermore, I think you misunderstand the fact that people wanting an Android port are looking to do away with QNX altogether, and actually run a full blown version of Android, not just emulate it within another OS. In that case, it wouldn't matter how the QNX kernel functions, because you wouldn't be using it. It would be like wiping your Linux installation on your PC and replacing it with Windows, or vice versa.
    12-29-11 11:53 PM
    No spell check in the Playbook browser
    Exactly, so if you want android, buy an android device. There, problem solved.
    12-29-11 11:55 PM
    The problem with the current Android emulator found in OS 2.0 is that it does not support Android applications made ​​with the NDK. That's why several of Android games do not run on the Playbook.
    12-30-11 06:38 PM
    No spell check in the Playbook browser
    Exactly, so if you want android, buy an android device. There, problem solved.
    I think that defeats the whole purpose of trying to get Android on the PlayBook. For some it's not even so much the need of Android apps or a full Android experience (those that actually need that would have bought an Android device), part of it is the "fun" of porting over an OS to new hardware (yes, there are some people that enjoy this as a hobby), and enjoying great software on cheap hardware. There are are lots of people who bought the $99 TouchPad just to run Android on it. It doesn't even work 100%, but they still enjoy it just because the hardware is cheap.

I bet you if the PlayBook had a full Android port, it would fly off the shelves, possibly even at $300 or $250.
    mrcrusha829 likes this.
    12-30-11 09:36 PM
    the kindle fire is a cheaper version of the playbook and it's selling pretty good. Imagine if the playbook could dual boot into android for $200? It would be insane
    02-09-12 11:37 PM
    The Kindle sells better than the Playbook for three reasons:
    1. It's made by Amazon. People know and trust Amazon as a brand.
    2. It gets pushed by salespeople. Certain devices just getpromoted better by salespeople, based on training, reason 1, and especially reason 3.
    3. The Fire got advertised. Advertisement is RIMs big failing. The people of North America believe whatever they see on the television or from other mediums. Tell me when the last time you saw a Playbook commercial was; I don't think I've ever seen one.

While possible, I highly doubt running a fork of Android has anything to do with it. $10 says if you asked the majority of Fire owners what OS their Kindle had, they'd say something like "uh, Amazon?"
    monotok likes this.
    02-10-12 12:01 AM
    People like the kindlefire Because it has apps. I Love my Playbook but the lack of apps is killing me. At this point Rim has to deliver big time. I don't care where the apps come from Android, IOS or if Thorstien or whatever his name is makes them himself. Just give us some apps. If Skype doesn't want to spend the money to create the app tell the guys at RIM to make it and present it to them or what ever. Just do something. Theres a godaddy app for phones but not for the playbook why? I feel they're abandoning us. If they don't deliver this month I'm buying an Ipad and I hate apple but at the very least they have apps I can use. Like garage band etc. I love my playbook but I'm pissed at RIM for not putting there muscle behind the playbook.
    mrcrusha829 likes this.
    02-10-12 01:45 AM
    What apps do you want that aren't on the Playbook other than Skype or netflix?
    Angry Birds?
    RIM's done a ton to get people to dev for the Playbook.
    Myth Debunked: BlackBerry Users Are All About Apps (NASDAQ:RIMM, NASDAQ:GOOG, NASDAQ:AAPL) | Wall St. Cheat Sheet
    02-10-12 08:18 AM
    How about pandora, zillow, google earth/maps, soundhound, iheartradio, tivo, better solitare, trip advisor? And they are all free on android!
    02-14-12 08:43 PM
    3. The Fire got advertised. Advertisement is RIMs big failing. The people of North America believe whatever they see on the television or from other mediums. Tell me when the last time you saw a Playbook commercial was; I don't think I've ever seen one.
    I completely agree. I've had a PlayBook since BEFORE the launch to consumers and throughout the year I've probably had 100 people ask me what it is I'm holding and 2 people ask if it's a PlayBook; people just don't know what it is. (Yes, only 100, I don't take it out in public much.

//On a side note, if it had native BBM I reckon I could've single handedly sold it to 50 of those hundred people that asked - I come from a BBM loving age group in a BBM loving area of the UK.
    02-16-12 03:49 AM
    I've said this before and I'll say it again. The BB bridging is nice but unless you "own" a BB it's not a sell. No one is going to run out and ditch their current phone and get a new BB just so they can bridge to their playbook. There may be "some" who will do that but generally that's not going to happen. Rim wants to sell the playbook to everyone. And not everyone who owns a playbook will want a BB phone.

Yes "APPS" sell tablets. You may not want a T-Pain voice changer on your playbook but somewhere out there someone does. You may not be playing/want a ton of games on your playbook but there are a number of people who do. Just because we (as a community) can not find certain apps usable or even appealing doesn't mean that it's true for everyone else. It's about choices, give me a app store with all kind of apps and let me decide whether I want to use them. The word is "choice". Just because Joe smith is happy with hulu and angry birds doesn't mean that I am.

As for the whole "professional tablet" label, please stop. What makes it so professional? Take away the whole "signed boot loader" and it's like an ordinary tablet running a custom OS. Running flash does not make it professional, you want a professional tablet take a look at the CISCO tablet, now that's a professional tablet aimed at the corps.

Yes kindle is a big name, Yes everyone knows what a kindle is and Yes Rim doesn't advertise as much. But you know that? The commercials that did air in the US SUCKED! The commercials did nothing to show the product's actual usage. All it focused on was "FLASH", buying shoes from a "FLASH" website. Playing "FLASH" video. And then they call it the first "professional tablet". I watched that and went WTF? If you are advertising a tablet on national TV then do it right.
    Last edited by rolexconfuse; 02-16-12 at 10:05 AM.
    02-16-12 09:40 AM
    nobody wants a tablet just to surf the web or read books nowadays just have more choice and the app devs arent there to support rim as it failed a huge market of the devs wich is us, 2 ceos are gone and now rim ceo must replace people especially in the us.
    02-16-12 10:37 AM
    I've been asking BB for the Kernel source for ages (since I got my PB in fact), as they have to publish the Android Kernel, anyhow fallen on deaf ears so far.

I've taken some of the stuff apart and hate to tell you that it's basically using the goldfish emulator (QEMU) for most of the stuff, with hooks into some of the hardware. This means that full access to most of the hardware would not be available using the 'emulator'

If you want full access to the Android ecosystem then unfortunately we need to unlock the boot loader and get Android on it properly.

For me QNX may have been nice if it got going a few years back, but it's too little too late now... but hey

Makes a decent media tab.... if only I could use Plex/Media Streaming on it.....
    Last edited by charlas; 02-20-12 at 10:26 AM.
    02-20-12 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD