What can one do with it? Is there still a app store it can go to?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 08:25 PM
    Yep

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 04:16 AM
    Yes, but there aren't many good apps there. Also don't trust the reviews Bleckberry lets devs remove negative ones. The Playbook is good for watching streamed video, though youtube sometimes plays up. The browser can be painfully slow depending on the site you're on. In daylight the camera is ok and the stereo mics give video a bit extra. Out of the box it reads pdf's, word docs and excel. Not bad if your expectations are low enough, but you'll probably find yourself wanting more.
    jtv1 and FrankIAm like this.
    09-11-14 11:14 PM
    I have no issues with any of my playbooks. I have killer wifi speeds in my home. Apps are still available whether from app world or sideloading bars. My playbooks are used on a nightly basis. Have been for the past three years. Sure the specs are three years old but the quality is second to none. It depends on what you will be using it for though.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    andy957 likes this.
    09-11-14 11:27 PM
    I have a 64GB version that I primarily use when away for watching videos, the screen is nice and the front facing speakers are excellent. Outside of that the PB is able to do most of the basic tasks you would expect of a tablet, but certainly not as well as a more modern android tablet. The browser is pretty dreadful and the app store is a bit Eastern Bloc. Other than that I'd be happy to use one, given that a 64GB version can be picked up for bugger all.
    The other advantage is that if it is lost, stolen or broken it isn't so much of a calamity
    09-12-14 10:30 AM
    I do not feel constrained at all with the apps available for the PB. In fact after playing with a large number of apps, I finally cleaned them all and found the stock apps plus just a couple of others gives me all I need to do my work. As for the browser speed, I discovered loading up the PB and bookmarks affect the speed. I discovered keeping about 15-20% of storage free keeps the PB working fast. Below that and it does start slowing down. Origami, built on the browser is a good substitute and is consistently better with the tablet than I found side loading Android based browsers.

The Podcast app no longer connects to the service but it does not limit its use. You just add the url manually for the service you want. I new have some 1200 Podcasts in the app. The File Manager provides a decent basic service though not as complete as others. I find it works for some 95% of my needs. File Commander is a good app that does more but it also if used by someone who is not with some technical knowledge a might dangerous as it let's you into areas users should not likely be in and allows deleting critical files.

I use mine as an ereader, Web browsing, emails, music and video viewing and streaming to my tele, document and spreadsheet drafting, reviewing and collaboration. I am set up for both online and offline use as when I go to the hospital the net is not accessible and using the phone cell service is blocked in many areas.

I have a pair of laptops and a netbook and all have been relegated to the basement storage shelf. When people write the unit and OS are dead, obsolete, useless, blah, blah, blah, I just laugh and wish I were in sales as many can be easily suckered with just a little glitter and a file dated today. If you would just use it and stop obsessing over it not being released yesterday I suspect many would be wearing more of a smile. The software and OS is not what obsoleted a unit as much as hardware advancements and the hardware in the PB is still quite competitive and better in ways.

No, it is not perfect but neither are the newest and greatest from others. I wish it had a sdcard slot, the usb recognized outboard drives and the like but most tablet have these limitations.
    09-12-14 07:37 PM
    Antennapod is an ok replacement for the podcast app, though I do most of my podcast listening on my phone now.

All the windows tablets i have looked at have micro sd slots and support usb otg but they still feel like a pc pretending to be a tablet. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to their quirks.
    09-12-14 08:35 PM
    rebroker2009

I am yet to understand how to use or even install sideloading features.

Where am I able to get instructions for this, Please

jtvberry
    09-14-14 03:12 PM
    I tried Antennapod but found no benefit over the native PB app.
    Last edited by Brian Levy; 09-22-14 at 05:54 PM.
    09-14-14 07:16 PM
    Yes, finally just got a second one (16gb) after 2 years with my first one. Still meets most of my needs and I just love the OS compared to others! Now I can have one at work and one at home.
    jtv1 likes this.
    09-19-14 02:16 PM
    rebroker2009

I am yet to understand how to use or even install sideloading features.

Where am I able to get instructions for this, Please

jtvberry
    Go to options set development mode.
    Connect to computer via USB.
    Find an .apk you want to use.
    Convert it via apk2bar google it.
    Or search for .bar file and download it.
    Save .bar to computer.
    Download DDPB
    Install
    Link to playbook by clicking scan.
    Add bar file to DDPB via search option.
    Check mark it.
    Click install.
    Presto the potential is endless.

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    jtv1 and Fnord like this.
    09-30-14 06:55 AM
    I still use my Playbook daily.
    jtv1 likes this.
    09-30-14 07:43 AM
    Thanks Oglon3r

O
    I'll be on that a little later

jtvberry
    09-30-14 02:25 PM
    Dear Oglon3r

I was all connected to my DDPB, I found the bar.file I was looking for in the website "goodEreader" which has been the only website that has delivered it's download, to my Win download folder.

Then as directed, I added it to my DDPB, then checked the box and installed.

The app is facebook_3.8 bar did not attach, so I have detached my PB from my PC.

In the meantime, I have found on apps that I need, not just want!

May I ask, is the apk.file the same as a bar.file and am sure I have read, that not only do I downloaded my apps on my DDPB on my PC. But I should also download for apps on my PB as soon?

jtvberry
    Last edited by jtv1; 10-02-14 at 03:29 AM.
    10-01-14 07:19 AM
    Yes, completed.
    Did my first sideloading yesterday.

I just wish that all the apps I installed, worked.
    Amazon AppStore, Skype, what'sapp.

Facebook_3.8bar, won't appear on my PB, though I have it in the DDPB and installed it. It's not showing itself.

If one gets a PlayBook...-not-done.png

I found these apps from the website GoodEreader, which is something that I don't believe was explained, anywhere.
    As I did wonder how apps were to appear.

Amazon AppStore, I can login, but that's as far as it goes. It attempts to install my wishes but shuts down anywhere between starting and completing the download and installation.

Some other apps only go as far to "apk" and not the full bar.file

Attachment 302447

Attachment 302448

I will keep trying though, maybe something is missing.

It just dawned on me, do I have to register with GoodEreader before I can receive access to their app and approval?

jtvberry
    Last edited by jtv1; 10-02-14 at 04:38 AM.
    10-02-14 03:58 AM
    There's no point installing the Amazon Appstore, even if you could get it to work as you can't directly download apks to the Playbook.

It's a very very old Android runtime, and it's very much hit and miss as to which ones will work. Same applies to the Good ereader store, you can install it and view the apps, but you still have to sideload to get them on to the tablet, you can't directly download as you do with BB10.

It is what it is. Don't have high hopes and be pleasantly surprised when something works. Good ereader is the best store for Playbook because they specifically note ones which are suitable for it in the description. Still not all of them work, but it's the best there is by a distance.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    10-02-14 04:32 AM
    Brilliant Banco

Thanks for your directions

Case Closed (y)

jtvberry
    10-02-14 04:41 AM
    Yep, what Banco said. Very much trial and error, but you can get some pretty decent Android apps to run on the PB. Agreed that Goodereader is the best one stop shop for PB sideloads.

You mentioned Facebook. The newer versions don't appear to work. I don't use it, but apparently 1.9 is the way to go?

You can search for user-converted apps here: APK to Bar Online Converter. (Lots of FBs, so you should find a working version.)
    jtv1 likes this.
    10-02-14 06:12 AM
    Thanks mh1983

Yeah, I noticed there was an apk to bar convertor.

Is the conversion done before installing, am presuming done on my PC, within the website.

jtvberry
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-02-14 07:22 AM
    Thanks mh1983

Yeah, I noticed there was an apk to bar convertor.

Is the conversion done before installing, am presuming done on my PC, within the website.

jtvberry
    Yes, if you can't find a bar file to sideload straight on, then take the apk, convert it on your pc and sideload as normal.

I will say that most things have been tried now, so if it's a well known app that you can't find a working bar for on something like Goodereader it's most likely because it's been tried and doesn't work.

Remember that the apk has to be compatible with Android 2.3 at the latest in order to have a chance of working.

If you've not done it yet, grab the Showbox bar though (on another thread). That's worth having for sure.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-02-14 08:05 AM
    I have just got my first app working.
    Avast! Mobile Security

jtvberry
    10-03-14 10:13 PM
    I have just got my first app working.
    Avast! Mobile Security
    Congratulations, though that app probably has little if any use on the Playbook.
    jtv1 and kbz1960 like this.
    10-03-14 11:24 PM
    Yeah, am realising that, as I had to create my account via my PC.
    Then I tried to login to my account, both on my PB and Z10 browsers and none of them will complete opening the basic first page.
    Something about can't find my Google Cloud account.

If one gets a PlayBook...-img_00000077.png

It does a scan but can't update.

jtvberry
    10-04-14 05:31 AM
    Yet again, I use my Playbook daily. I have to lug a laptop around at work, and the last thing I want to do is use the same thing at home and traveling. I use my Playbook for Facebook, Twitter (just use the browser for that), web browsing, and ereading. Run Pandora or XM. Nice to also use for a quick photo instead of getting out my full camera system. and of course, Bridging to my Z10. It is also my bedside clock and alarm.
    I have a spare in case this one ever goes down. And I scored a keyboard off of a fellow CB member. I am set for a long time.
    10-04-14 06:03 AM
    Yet again, I use my Playbook daily. I have to lug a laptop around at work, and the last thing I want to do is use the same thing at home and traveling. I use my Playbook for Facebook, Twitter (just use the browser for that), web browsing, and ereading. Run Pandora or XM. Nice to also use for a quick photo instead of getting out my full camera system. and of course, Bridging to my Z10. It is also my bedside clock and alarm.
    I have a spare in case this one ever goes down. And I scored a keyboard off of a fellow CB member. I am set for a long time.
    I installed Willow for Twitter on mine. Ok, it's a paid app, but I find it a lot better than using the browser. I know there are others, but that one works really well on the Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    nealjane1 likes this.
    10-04-14 06:10 AM
35 12