Argument 1: The playbook isn't unlocked because the Canadian DoD uses them and unlocking the playbook puts it at risk.

Why I don't understand it: How on earth can unlocking one device that is sold to the public really have that much influence over whether an army, yes an entire army, is at risk?

Argument 2: The playbook will never receive updates because it is dead.

Why I don't understand it: If the playbook is dead, why is blackberry finally starting to bring back bridge features. Couldn't they use that same development resources to improve the browser and maybe update the android runtime to JB or even just providing a BBM app to the playbook? If the resources are there for bridge to be updated, would it not be more effective and help more people to do the things I just mentioned?

Argument 3: The playbook doesn't have enough memory to run bb10

Why I don't understand it: If memory is a problem, could they not have removed flash support from the OS? A lot of tablets don't support flash. Is it really that big a loss if we could sideload the apps with a new runtime? Would that not help with things?

Argument 4: The playbook only had bb10 removed because it wasn't running efficiently and smoothly.

Why I don't understand it: Only the alpha builds worked on the playbook and these alpha builds were a LONG time ago. If testing was done on the playbook, why was the OS never leaked at any stage, despite numerous leaks for the OS for dev phones which only a few people owned. Does no one else find this suspicious?
    11-21-13 04:22 PM
    1) Becuase giving access to the bootloader allow people to install ANYTHING. Don't know how the Canadian DoD uses the PlayBook or if they even still do. But you can bet that when they bought them it was with the understanding that BlackBerry wouldn't unlock it.

2) There is still some development, and most likly a PlayBook 2 in some dark lab somewhere.

3) Think there is a lot that could be removed from BB10 if it were optimized for a 1GB device. That would take time and another team working on it. Most likly BB figure that if it took another 6 or 8 months it would be too late to matter.

4) BB10 has grown from what it was in the Alpha Builds. I'm of the opinion that we only get what BlackBerry wants us to get. But the PlayBook test group was most likely MUCH smaller, might have never gotten beyond just a few people.

But at this point I don't understand these arguments either.... it's over.
    11-21-13 05:00 PM
    Modifying the bootloader will create an attack vector for hackers.
    11-22-13 04:24 AM
    If the bootloader was a pin specific update then it would work fine. For example type in the pin on BB website along with 10 digit passphrase that you can choose. Tablet receives update that is installable after the 10 digit code is typed in. No accidental updates and only specific devices are ever made "vulnerable".
    11-25-13 10:34 PM
    Answer 2: the features that have been 'brought back' are for BB10 devices only and to restore functionality. They really are the last things that BB will ever do for the PlayBook and are really being done for the sake of BB10 devices, which are still being sold unlike the PB.
    11-26-13 12:05 AM
    They may also be improving bridge for other devices that may utilize it in the future. We can never know for sure.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 12:32 AM
    Answer 2: the features that have been 'brought back' are for BB10 devices only and to restore functionality. They really are the last things that BB will ever do for the PlayBook and are really being done for the sake of BB10 devices, which are still being sold unlike the PB.
    Considering the large number of BlackBerry PlayBooks deployed by organisations BlackBerry needs to continues enhancing the software for the current generation of BlackBerry PlayBook. I still don't understand how BlackBerry management could abandon a product almost from the date of release while simultaneously waffling between targeting professional users and recreational users.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    11-26-13 05:01 AM