I'm just curious how many existing PlayBook owners would purchase a new Blackberry tablet, if they didn't upgrade the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 11:40 AM
    I dont think I would. ...but in all reality, I dont think I'll buy another tablet at all.
    ibpluto likes this.
    05-17-13 11:52 AM
    I'm thinking a full Windows tablet. At least, I get to use the applications, well, PROGRAMS to me, that I already have and know. Just need one in the right size at the right cost!
    05-17-13 12:19 PM
    I will not buy another blackberry product ever if this playbook doesn't get updated. if this is how BBRY treats its customers I want nonpart of it
    matrixbk, nojotech and Rafski like this.
    05-17-13 12:35 PM
    Ive gone to iphone. And soon i will be going to ipad if bb10 is not on PB by xmas time.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-17-13 01:05 PM
    If it was 7"-8" and I felt it provided the best functionality and value compared to its competitors, then sure I would.
    05-17-13 02:23 PM
    I have to say that if BB10 doesn't come to the PlayBook as promised, I would have to re think my life as as a blackberry die hard. I hope this isn't the case, because I love my PlayBook and it deserves the upgrade. It would be a slap in the face of every early adopter if this didn't happen.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 02:45 PM
    I have my current PlayBook for reading books and light web browsing. If I was to upgrade...I would not buy another BB tablet. Not for the forseeable future. A tablet is a media consumption device for me. I would want my next tablet to support Netflix and Hulu support. So unless we see some more apps becoming available I would pass.
    05-17-13 03:35 PM
    Absolutely I would buy a new blackberry tablet! I love my PlayBook, and if blackberry would rather release bb10 on a new tablet than run it on current ones, that's fine with me! It makes more sense to develop a new tablet with say 2gb of ram and a 2.0 GHZ processor that would run bb10 flawlessly than have to create a cheap and half-***ed version for the current playbooks. It wouldn't be any different than the tons of isheep that buy a new ipad every year replacing the one they got the previous year. Only difference is I would be a blacksheep.

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    djmm2 likes this.
    05-17-13 03:42 PM
    I currently have a 16GB Playbook that I bought on the Canadian launch date (April 21, 2011), and have been giving some serious thought to purchasing a new 64GB model. The only reason I have been holding off is the fact that BB10 is not available on the devices yet. Now that the rumours are that it will never be available, I might have to start looking at an Android tablet. Now if BB comes out with a new Playbook that does support BB10, and is cost effective, than for sure I would pick one up!
    05-17-13 03:46 PM
    I'm just curious how many existing PlayBook owners would purchase a new Blackberry tablet, if they didn't upgrade the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    That depends, what are you saying its spec are?
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-17-13 04:28 PM
    I'll respond with a solid maybe to that question. I would probably wait and monitor CB to see how good it was before buying.

Furthermore if bb releases a phablet I might just prefer to buy that instead, because really why do you want to pay tethering charges and carry around another device? if we get a 5" phablet or even 4.7" I don't think I would feel the need for another 7" tablet. In that case if bb made a 10"+ tablet I might still consider buying it if it was good.

Frankly I have never been happy with my playbook. It was unusable when I bought it and the upgrade to pb 2.0 only made it usable, not good
    05-17-13 04:40 PM
    i got my playbook because i thought it would be upgraded and supported for 18 months. its a year old now and is only used for the print to go function to save me printing on paper...

no BB10 on pb equals no new blackberry products ever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    05-17-13 04:46 PM
    not only no, but h3ll no,,, if they don't hold up their end, why should i support them,,, according to some, they're desparate,,, not upgrading the playbook will only bring more bad voodoo...

Blackberry is about to give away its last advantage - Fortune Tech
    nojotech likes this.
    05-17-13 04:54 PM
    I will not buy another blackberry product ever if this playbook doesn't get updated. if this is how BBRY treats its customers I want nonpart of it
    Blackberry is making a judgment call not to waste resources on a money-losing product. A few playbook users will be pissed off , and rightly so because they promised repeatedly that they would not be abandoning the playbook or the tablet market. The sad thing is, it is the true blackberry fans who get shafted by the decision, people like you and me who probably bought the pb at release or at least before os 2 and took the company at its word to be patient and that they would polish it into something good.

Now I truly believe that will never ever happen. The playbook might never see another update, it might never see native bbm, and it won't ever get bb10. Thor said he thinks the tablet market will be dead in 5 years, and blackberry is now focusing on making a bb10 phablet, so I think that's the route they are taking. The playbook is not one of Thor's, it came before his tenure, and I don't think it feels important to him or the company, but rather like an embarassing mistake which should be abandoned and forgotten.

The playbook is not even really being sold anymore, which should be an indicator that bb is abandoning it. I convinced my dad to buy a z10 and he likes it enough that he asked me about the playbook. I told him my reservations but that if he can find one for the $129.99 price it might be worth it. He couldn't find anyone selling new playbooks, period, except for the carrier rogers which is still selling the 4g LTE model... at full price $500+
    Wasp14 likes this.
    05-17-13 04:56 PM
    I'll respond with a solid maybe to that question. I would probably wait and monitor CB to see how good it was before buying.

Furthermore if bb releases a phablet I might just prefer to buy that instead, because really why do you want to pay tethering charges and carry around another device? if we get a 5" phablet or even 4.7" I don't think I would feel the need for another 7" tablet. In that case if bb made a 10"+ tablet I might still consider buying it if it was good.

Frankly I have never been happy with my playbook. It was unusable when I bought it and the upgrade to pb 2.0 only made it usable, not good
    be sure to monitor other sources a well,,, this 1 isn't reliable any more...
    anon(4320318) and kevinnugent like this.
    05-17-13 04:57 PM
    Playbook for me is a good small form factor tablet.
    It'd a great size for travelling with and provides good mail and web surfing functionality.
    I have a few games and apps installed to pass the time and keep up with tech news and beyond that, Bridge used to be good on my 9900 to keep up with messaging etc (mangled now I have the Z10)
    Would I buy a new BB tablet? Not on your life at this stage of the game. TH and BB are too non-committal to the future of their handset/device division for me to buy into their products. That's fair enough on their part, as they have long term business viability to consider and hardware may not be the best option for BB moving forward.
    I have no real brand loyalty beyond purchase of a product if it suits my needs at the time buying. I don't buy into the "Apps" deal or the "ecosystem" rubbish.
    My next tablet purchase (if i ever make another) will be an open source portable computing device. I want to be able to code on it and hack the OS or completely replace it if I want. It will need to run the Linux kernel (not some hacked out non upstream supporting fork), support Qt and have open architecture.
    05-17-13 05:12 PM
    be sure to monitor other sources a well,,, this 1 isn't reliable any more...
    which ones do you recommend?
    05-17-13 05:14 PM
    I don't think I would buy another one but I am a pragmatist so if they make something that would benefit me in any way, I would buy a new PlayBook. For now, the iPad is serving it's purpose and the 3 week old PlayBook is sitting there asking me why I'm made the purchase.
    05-17-13 05:24 PM
    No, Blackberry has treated the current crop of Playbook beta testers with disdain and silence for the most part. I wonder how many of the laid off staff were from the Playbook section? Maybe there's no one left to answer the questions.
    05-17-13 05:26 PM
    Blackberry is making a judgment call not to waste resources on a money-losing product. A few playbook users will be pissed off , and rightly so because they promised repeatedly that they would not be abandoning the playbook or the tablet market. The sad thing is, it is the true blackberry fans who get shafted by the decision, people like you and me who probably bought the pb at release or at least before os 2 and took the company at its word to be patient and that they would polish it into something good.

Now I truly believe that will never ever happen. The playbook might never see another update, it might never see native bbm, and it won't ever get bb10. Thor said he thinks the tablet market will be dead in 5 years, and blackberry is now focusing on making a bb10 phablet, so I think that's the route they are taking. The playbook is not one of Thor's, it came before his tenure, and I don't think it feels important to him or the company, but rather like an embarassing mistake which should be abandoned and forgotten.

The playbook is not even really being sold anymore, which should be an indicator that bb is abandoning it. I convinced my dad to buy a z10 and he likes it enough that he asked me about the playbook. I told him my reservations but that if he can find one for the $129.99 price it might be worth it. He couldn't find anyone selling new playbooks, period, except for the carrier rogers which is still selling the 4g LTE model... at full price $500+
    its the principle behind the matter, if they say they will do.something they should do it. apperently they already have builds of bb10 internally I'm sure it would cost sooo much to give us a working build

a lot of people don't like apple but you cannot fault their update process. when there is an update all iphones and ipads get them at the same time.
    05-17-13 05:27 PM
    which ones do you recommend?
    BGR obviously.
    05-17-13 05:28 PM
    My current feeling on the tablet market and me is I have tried several tablets. We have an IPad 2, PlayBook and had An Acer Iconia. I think next time I am going small laptop like Microsoft Surface, no more tablets. I like my PlayBook but I know it's limitations.
    05-17-13 05:33 PM
    a lot of people don't like apple but you cannot fault their update process. when there is an update all iphones and ipads get them at the same time.
    I hear this statement all the time, but really? Come on. I'd wager that there's a LOT of people who love Apple, and part of their reasoning is if you have a problem with their products they invariably fix, replace or refund without any questions asked and straight away. If you like to get regular updates and/or bug fixes they are announced and delivered - to everyone - at the same time. No big deal, or constant wonky leaks that can only be applied by certain people and with varying degrees of success.

Their customer service, I would submit, is the gold standard here. If Blackberry could aspire to that they'd be doing well.
    05-17-13 05:34 PM
    I have two playbooks in the family now, and honestly for what I use them for, media steaming, light gaming, email, we browsing, and work access through balance / citirix, I have no use for a newer version.

I would settle for a bb10 update to the software purely for the UI and browser experience.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 05:37 PM
54 123