I've seen a few other threads around this issue but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a fix or if it's a known hardware issue.

New (bought in the Xmas sales) PB is on the latest dev build, I bought a 1.5m micro HDMI to take advantage of the screen sharing for movies etc (and to show off). At first no problems, picture and sound crystal clear.

Yesterday however I hooked it up to watch something on the iplayer and I get a screen flicker/distortion then no image. Blew in both ports, rebooted PB etc and still the same problem. It was only a cheap lead admittedly but can't think of why this would suddenly be a problem. Haven't got any other kit to test the lead on. Can anyone advise if this is likely to be a hardware issue with the PB port or a common issue with HDMI leads (there is a bit of wiggle which is worrying).

Any help appreciated
    01-30-12 03:37 AM
    Did you try another HDMI cable? Mine was doing the same thing until I did.
    01-30-12 04:25 AM
    Don't have another one to try unfortunately. I've ordered another one from amazon, just a cheap one again. Just seemed odd that it would work one day then stop the next. PB is kept in it's case and the lead is wrapped up and kept in a drawer, neither have been out and about or knocked around. Can micro HDMI cables be that fickle? I kinda want it to be the cable or it's a PB replacement I'm guessing.
    01-30-12 04:30 AM
    Don't have another one to try unfortunately. I've ordered another one from amazon, just a cheap one again. Just seemed odd that it would work one day then stop the next. PB is kept in it's case and the lead is wrapped up and kept in a drawer, neither have been out and about or knocked around. Can micro HDMI cables be that fickle? I kinda want it to be the cable or it's a PB replacement I'm guessing.
    Mine worked for a few days, and then stopped. I bought a new (slightly more expensive) cable and haven't had a problem since.

gail
    JimiDiGriz likes this.
    01-30-12 09:58 AM
    yeah most likely the cable. I got the HTC one from the crackberry store and it broke after a few weeks unfortunately (may have been my fault but I don't really know how it happened). If I mess around with it and wiggle it to the perfect angle I can get it to work.
    01-30-12 12:40 PM
    Mine just stopped working as well. I thought maybe it was the latest os2 build but I don't recall when it last worked. Can anyone rule this out?
    01-30-12 04:46 PM
    I'm on the latest dev build and have had no issues using HDMI. Out of curiousity, are you using a case? I have the BB Journal case and in order for the connector to seat correctly I have to take the PB out. The rubber plug is too wide for the HDMI port on the case. I didn't realize this at first and got just a little frustrated when it wouldn't work.
    01-30-12 10:24 PM
    No case. I've got the official faux leather one winging it's way to me as we speak but it's not arrived yet. The new (but still cheap) lead should arrive soon also. I'll post back when it does with the results. Really hoping it's the lead and not the PB port. Don't mind paying a bit more for a decent lead if required. Daft thing is that there a loads of articles out there talking about over priced rip-off HDMI leads and how they are all the same as it's a digital signal etc.
    01-31-12 12:21 AM
    it's most likely your hdmi cable. I picked one up from the dollarstore and it blew in like a week. I got one from monoprice and its been working fine for 7 months now

hopefully its not your tv ... it probably isn't
    01-31-12 12:24 AM
    Hadn't thought it could be the TV....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fingers and toes crossed it's the �5 lead.
    01-31-12 05:52 AM
    Daft thing is that there a loads of articles out there talking about over priced rip-off HDMI leads and how they are all the same as it's a digital signal etc.
    I think what the posts could have better explained is that the cheap cables have the exact same picture quality. The actual build quality of the cable (how rugged the connectors are, how flexible the cable is, etc) can still vary. I'll second Monoprice as a supplier of top quality cables, cheap too.

Many of the $50 cables don't have any build quality advantages over a $10 one, but both will likely be better than a $1 one. Though even there companies like Monoprice build really top quality cables for prices well below $10.
    JimiDiGriz likes this.
    01-31-12 01:19 PM
    New lead has arrived and I'm back in business, looks like you get what you pay for to a certain extent with these things. The new lead has proper covers for the contacts as well, fits the faux cover perfectly too. I'm definitely keeping those covers in place when not in use.

Thanks for everyone's help. Panic over.
    02-01-12 10:33 AM
    Mines does this at times might need to upgrade to a better quality cable.
    02-02-12 12:22 AM
    I ve had issues when changing music tranks or viewing pictures, or even using the bowser. However no problem when playing a video.
    I�m gonna try the other hdmi port... Kinda dissapointed.
    02-06-12 09:27 AM
    New lead has arrived and I'm back in business, looks like you get what you pay for to a certain extent with these things. The new lead has proper covers for the contacts as well, fits the faux cover perfectly too. I'm definitely keeping those covers in place when not in use.

Thanks for everyone's help. Panic over.
    Would you mind posting a link to where you bought your cable and what brand? I don't want to buy a crap cable.

Sent from space
    02-08-12 12:19 AM
    02-08-12 12:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD