View Poll Results: Are you content with OS 2.1?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Playbook was always great. OS 2.1 was just whipped cream on top.

63 30.29%
  • Yes, OS 2.1 adds what I needed, fixed what didn't work for me and I think it's overall great now.

64 30.77%
  • I'm happy for now, but BB10 better come out soon or I'm jumping ship.

55 26.44%
  • No, everything still crashes on me! WiFi, Email, Bridge, and Browser all (or some) don't work!

26 12.50%
    Prior to the release of Playbook OS 2.1.0.1032 I was checking crackberry.com and the forums every single day, multiple times a day. I felt so eratic, so nervous, so eager for it to be released.
    Now that the OS is released, things have settled and I feel happy.
    Not because the Playbook is perfect, but it has most of what I need. And for the most part it is working the way I want it to.

It's like a huge weight came off my shoulders and I am very relieved and content now.

So how about everyone else? Are you guys happy with OS 2.1? Still waiting for more? Still waiting for BB10?

Edit:
    So some people are complaining about the poor options for this poll, here's another way to think of it.
    How Content are you with the release of OS 2.1?
    Content.
    ---> The Playbook was always great. OS 2.1 was just whipped cream on top.
    Very Content ----> Yes, OS 2.1 adds what I needed, fixed what didn't work for me and I think it's overall great now.
    Neutral-----> I'm happy for now, but BB10 better come out soon or I'm jumping ship.
    Not Content ----->No, everything still crashes on me! WiFi, Email, Bridge, and Browser all (or some) don't work!
    Last edited by andrew4life; 10-10-12 at 07:25 PM.
    10-09-12 11:59 PM
    I've had no issues until.. tonight. I had a weird issue where my PlayBook would not open the bridged messages app. Just said "Contacting your Smartphone.." or something like that. Rebooted both. Same problem. Manually disconnected and re-connected the two and it was fine. Though it seems slower now using the bridged messages app than pre OS 2.1.
    10-10-12 12:11 AM
    So far, so good.

Let's hope it stays that way...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-10-12 12:26 AM
    Had a minor issue with bridge app after upgrade. Re-paired phone (9810) and Playbook. Everything is fine now. Playbook was always good, even better now. Faster browser, much better battery life, android interface seamless, portrait email and improved docs to go functionality. Impatiently waiting for BB10
    ShotHimABox likes this.
    10-10-12 09:47 AM
    No poll option for my answer: yes and no. SMS over the Bridge is something I'd been itching for, so that's a thumbs-up. But the browser has been sorely neglected since release. Specifically, bookmark maintenance (even something similar to what's in BBOS would be acceptable), and a page search function. Maybe this stuff is coming in BB10. It's stuff I'd really, really like to have, but nothing that would cause me to jump ship.

I've also had issues with the bridge browser hanging and the bridge just randomly disconnecting itself since upgrading; although I also upgraded the phone's OS and bridge app at the same time, so there's no way to tell which side is to blame. Again, not frequent enough for me to set my hair on fire, just little annoyances that are far outweighed by everything else the PB has always done very well for me.
    10-10-12 11:54 AM
    There is still no full native email - after nearly 2 years!
    Awful.
    10-10-12 12:07 PM
    There isn't an option I'd choose. Not real happy but not ready to jump yet.
    10-10-12 12:45 PM
    There is still no full native email - after nearly 2 years!
    Awful.
    Which PlayBook have you been using the last three months? (and it's only been out for 1-1/2 years.)
    esk369, bungaboy and cjcampbell like this.
    10-10-12 02:17 PM
    i liked 2.1.0.840. zero problems with it. with 2.1.0.1032 i can't add my exchange account and my yahoo contacts (via carddav) won't sync. yahoo contacts worked for awhile, but mysteriously no longer works, even after a security wipe. it works fine on my wife's pb
    10-10-12 03:10 PM
    I would have chosen an option between 2 and 3 on the list... I like 2.1 better than 2.0. PB has allot going for it but it also misses the mark in many places. I hope BB10 changes that.

Looks like my company is testing iPhones down in the US and its probably only a matter of time before they take my 9700 away.

The PB is mine and I will use it until it dies, but if the company moves away from BB then my PB will be much less useful.
    10-10-12 03:54 PM
    Well, most things don't seem like a huge improvement for me, and I now have weird keyboard issues (posted a thread) that I didn't have before. So I can't really say I am overly enthused about it. About the only difference I really notice for my usage is that some apps are snappier.
    10-10-12 03:59 PM
    Poor choice of options. Have to choose the last one even though I don't have many crashes, but think 2.1 is a step down.

Worst battery performance so far, browser crashes about as often as before (occasionally), and of couse no improvements in bookmark and file management. I honestly think RIM has given up on the PB.
    10-10-12 07:11 PM
    I honestly think RIM has given up on the PB.
    Can you blame them for giving up on PlayBook OS? BB10 is due to drop for the PlayBook next spring after BB10 handset launch, and according to @BlackBerryDev on Twitter, "BB10 builds for Playbook will be available in developer beta ahead of launch." https://twitter.com/BlackBerryDev/st...90288896561153

I have been wishing that they'd just ignore PlayBook OS and concentrate on BB10.
    10-11-12 07:01 PM
    Can you blame them for giving up on PlayBook OS? BB10 is due to drop for the PlayBook next spring after BB10 handset launch, and according to @BlackBerryDev on Twitter, "BB10 builds for Playbook will be available in developer beta ahead of launch." https://twitter.com/BlackBerryDev/st...90288896561153

I have been wishing that they'd just ignore PlayBook OS and concentrate on BB10.
    While I kind of agree I do think the issues with the pb OS just might turn new users off of BB10 because they think it's the same thing or will be. I love the UI and all but the little bugs here and there get annoying at times.
    Toodeurep, Stewartj1 and bungaboy like this.
    10-11-12 07:16 PM
    yes, I am quite pleased with the PBOS2.1. It fixed the few things left form me to be pleased with my PB until BB 10.

portrait PIM
    Multiple android windows (and in my experience a faster and better android player)
    and:.... BRIDGE TEXTING. it was really the last thing that permitted me to put my phone in my bag in the bus and use bridge for everything. (only BBM groups I suppose left)

also less freezing and crashing

although randomly, for a few seconds, the os gets slugish when running multiple apps.
    10-11-12 07:16 PM
    I am actually setting mine up for the first time. It is installing .1032. Im going to be up all night. So excited to learn this thing. Seems like the install is taking for ever.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    10-11-12 08:50 PM
    I am impressed with the majority of the fixes the 2.1 update added to the PlayBook. I love the speed improvement in web browsing and the stability improvements to the Android player. There is one problem that need fixing as a result of doing the update. Adobe Flash no longer works properly as it did in 2.0.0.358 and RIM/Adobe need to expedite a fix for this.

Also, the Adobe Reader app needs to be fixed or removed from the system. It's beyond terrible and embarrassing that Adobe released this steaming pile for the PlayBook. I have subsequently bought a very fast and capable PDF application (PDF Reader - $0.99) to replace it and so I would like the ability to remove the buggy bloat left behind.

Other than those few things, I am liking the PlayBook very much and think it's a very under-appreciated and under-rated tablet and welcome future enhancements. If BB OS 10 comes to the PlayBook in 2013, I will be a very happy camper...
    esk369 and bungaboy like this.
    10-11-12 09:23 PM
    Please help. I sliped and moved my clock.....where did it go?

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    10-11-12 10:48 PM
    No email folder content beyond 30 days, nor a functioning sent folder.
    Without that, how can it be a proper Native email?
    Laggy kbd
    10-11-12 11:31 PM
    2.1 does what I need. Sure, it could use a few enhancements but what tablet couldn't? BB10 will be nice to have. Jumping ship seems extreme to me. If they were not to enable BB10 for a two year old device, I wouldn't be too angry about it.
    10-12-12 12:20 AM
    yes, I am very happy with 2.1.

the native email, and calender in portrait have made it that much better for use during meetings. I no longer have to flop it side to side while adding events, etc during meetings.

the added bridge texting ability was the biggest improvement. now if a call comes in during a meeting, I can shoot a quick text to the caller without having to pull he phone out of the pocket. I can also get quick answers to questions without anyone knowing that I am getting texts. (using a phone during meetings with higher ups is always frowned upon, and is really pretty rude at times)

all the other little improvements were nice, but making it easier to use in portrait and texting were the top improvements for me.
    10-12-12 03:16 AM
    While I kind of agree I do think the issues with the pb OS just might turn new users off of BB10 because they think it's the same thing or will be. I love the UI and all but the little bugs here and there get annoying at times.
    Like how the phones have excellent sharing options and file management but the PBOS's is, well, crap! I see many people on here complain about sharing a picture or file from within the file and say "other platforms have this" and I say yea, so does BBOS7 so I don't know why the PB doesn't.
    10-12-12 05:35 AM
    2.1 made the playbook alot better for me, well im using the Beta for over half a year now and i would have sold the device if it wasnt available.
    Simply because of one reason, i couldnt connect my playbook 2.0 to my universities network, it was missing some wifi securtiy options. So i flashed the beta allready in april and well with the update everything worked fine.
    Sideloading of android apps is another reason i kept my playbook, the official store is imo great for games but it really lacks some apps that im using on a daily basis and sideloading filled that gap for me (the true multitasking with android in 2.1 was a great addition)

So overall im happy with 2.1, but i wouldnt still own my playbook if the beta has not been released...
    But yet this OS still feels like alpha or beta sometimes, all the problems user report after the upgrade just prove this.
    For example my playbook cameras wont work anymore since the official 2.1, debrick didnt work and im in contact with bb support for over a week now, they should just replace this thing... never had any other device where a software update could kill builtin hardware... :-/

Anyway i want to stick with it until bb10 and see where things go by that point. I really love the Playbooks hardware. I thought about the nexus7 but i would really miss hdmi and the rear camera. Maybe a ipad mini would make me switch but it really depends on the price and specs.
    I really hope we are not stuck with 2.1 until the bb10 os update sometime next year, after the 2.1 took so long and still is full of problems i doubt we will see bb10 before next fall..
    10-12-12 06:46 AM
    Someone slept through the poll methodology class. Unanswerable by me.
    10-13-12 01:43 AM
    Well this certainly doesn't make me happy with it.

OK second time this has happened to me and there has been the other issues I posted earlier. I wish I would've kept recording because after I closed the frozen browser all of the pb was locked up and would do nothing other than a 3 finger salute.

10-13-12 08:31 AM
81 123 ...