Using my Acer W7 64 laptop, I downloaded and installed BB DS 7 this morning using the wifi in my Mexican holiday condo which is attached to a 2 Mbps DSL connection. The download occurred over less than 15 minutes and the install process took about 20 minutes.

Then I did my first organizer sync with my Torch 9800 under DS7. Everything was going smoothly until the organizer sync window showed 1% remaining and it kinda stalled there with a message something like "preparing view of sync summary results" or words to that effect. It was stuck there quite a while, like 5 - 10 minutes, so I decided to go into the windows task manager and check things out. The running apps list showed that DS was still running so I went into the list of processes and just shut down all the "unnecessary" processes such as the Hewlett Packard print schedule/update/reminder processes, the Western Digital "button" manager, the Acer "hotkey" process, the Google crash handler (none of this was needed cuz my printer is at home, my WD backup drive it at home, I never use the Acer hotkeys anyways and Google Chrome wasn't open).

Then I decided to check CB and saw all kinds of posts about the new DS hanging up folks' backups etc. Kinda got me worried. But I figured it was probably ok since the Windows task manager showed DS still "running"; it didn't say "not responding" which is what it would show if a program were actually hung up.

Now, this is a 3 year old laptop, kind of a "cheap" one, and the 300 GB hard drive is close to 80% full, but it does have all the current W7 updates, so I figured it needed to churn for a little. So, I went out onto the balcony overlooking PV, sipped on some oj and used my PB for a while. About half an hour later I looked at the laptop and it had a list of all the "conflicts" between my Outlook organizer data and my Torch organizer data. There were about 200. Because I've been using my Torch way more than Outlook over the last few weeks since my last organizer sync, I selected the option to have the Torch data overwrite the Outlook data. Boom, it zipped thru the remaining changes needed to complete the sync process and I was good to go.

While I had a momentary concern, DS7 came thru with flying colours. Well done RIM!!! I'm a very happy camper! Bring on OS 2!!!

[this is an edited version of a similar post I wrote in the main PB forum but I figured it fit better here and allowed me to tweak the wording]
    2ys4u likes this.
    02-15-12 05:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD